Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Corval Basin > Plains of Bohar > Village Scavenging [O][R][Event]
Dala

Character Info
Name: Dala
Alignment: CG
Race: Human
Class: Student
Silver: 11882
The war was raging. The world was ending. And most villages and towns in the Bohar Plains had been abandoned. But that didn’t mean that all was terrible for everybody. A young child was walking through the field, looking for anything that might help her. Her clothes were ragged, she had no shoes, and the most valuable thing she had was her old satchel that she had gotten from the trash and fixed. Despite her poor state of clothes, she was relatively clean and her hair wasn’t too messy. The thing that stood out most about this child was the fact that she had two sheathed daggers at her belt. One was short, clearly meant for throwing while the other was longer. Her eyes were cold and brown, indicating of the harsh years of her life. Most children spent their days playing, learning, or cleaning to their parents. Some kids spend their days begging, fleeing, and hiding for survival. She spent her days fighting, scavenging, and doing anything that will get her out of the pit of poverty and into the higher life. A chill ran up her spine as she felt the cold breeze hitting her harshly.

Off in the distance she could see the tops of a few homes and began to head towards it. If it was a village then it might have some resources that she could use. There was a possibility of an Eldritch Monster or two being there but the front lines were far off fighting the main groups. As she got closer to the village, she could see the wretched state it was in. Windows were smashed, doors were knocked down, and many buildings had deep scratch markings from the Eldritch beasts that used to be there. The livestock who couldn’t be rescued had been slaughtered long ago and now their corpses had almost completely rotten away. Dala wondered if there would be anything worth keeping amongst these destroyed houses and stores. The child approached the first house of the village that was clearly hit first. The door had been broken into pieces and the little girl had to step carefully to avoid getting splinters into her feet. If it wasn’t for the windows, Dala wouldn’t have been able to see much. The firepit held no flames and there were no candles to light the way. She continued entering the house and saw that there was a living room with a kitchen and next to it were stairs leading up to the second floor. She went around the living/kitchen room to look for any supplies or food. In the broken cabinets there was a bag of wheat seeds, a rotten tomato, and an empty jar.

She reached up and managed to safely bring down the bag of seeds and the empty jar. After closer inspection of the bag of seeds, she saw that it was molding too. Dala took the bag of seeds and emptied it, keeping the burlap sack and putting it in a purple bag that would hold an endless amount of items. Turning to the jar, she put it in her purple bag as well. All these items would sell well in market places after the war since many people’s homes and items would be destroyed. The survivors would need replacement items so Dala planned to get them those items and to make a profit. With a smile, the child went over to the fireplace to check for unused wood. She found two logs that were untouched by the rain and took it. Everything that she found counted towards survival. Dala found a few more items from that room such as bowls, spoons, and an old coat. There was also furniture but most of it was too large to carry or was too damaged to be of any worth.

The child headed over to the stairs and began climbing up them. At the top, she found a small hallway that led to two doors. She decided to open the first door on the left and she walked into a child’s room. There was a small bed with a chest next to it and a box in the corner of the room that clearly used to hold items. In the middle of the room was a small rag doll that some child must have owned. Dala walked towards the doll and kneeled down to pick it up. The doll had red hair made up of yarn, two green buttons for eyes, a little sewn brown dress with an apron, and had clearly been stuffed with some sort of cotton. The little girl inspected the doll and began to wonder…things. Was this the type of toy that she would have gotten if things had turned out differently? Would she even enjoy such a small plaything? In another time, in another life, would she have been ignorant of the world and how it worked? The world wasn’t all evil or all good but it seemed very simple to be able to ignore the complicated parts of the universe and to just…play with a doll. Dala stared at the object as though it was a completely foreign thing to her. 

“Yvette, is this toy worth anything?” Dala mentally asked.

“It might be worth a lot to the child who owned it.”

“The likeliness of me finding the kid who left it is slim.” The child mentally replied, “Still, it might be worth something to poorer parents who can’t afford making or buying fancier toys.” 

Dala ended up keeping the doll and left the room after seeing little else to scavenge. Her next target was the parents’ room. She entered the room and saw it was a mess. The other rooms were in messes too but this was clearly a room that somebody had tried to leave quickly. The bed had been stripped of only half of its blankets, the wardrobe was still filled with a few clothes, and a jewelry box had been dumped onto the ground and its contents were scattered across the floor. A small smile appeared upon Dala’s face as she realized that this was the best part of the house. The jewelry were clearly cheap and made up of dead flowers so they weren’t that valuable. It was the blankets and clothes that would bring in the most profit since Glaciem was on its way. She picked up some of the jewelry but focused on getting the rest of the blankets and clothes into her purple bag. Once she was done, the child left the house satisfied with the loot she had gotten. Dala continued raiding the abandoned homes until she got to a small abandoned tavern. The child smiled and entered the tavern, bursting through the already weakened door and began to look for one thing and one thing only. She wanted all the alcohol this abandoned tavern could offer. Alcohol was disgusting to her but it paid a pretty price so it was worth going through the trouble of getting. Most of the tavern had been destroyed due to the monster attack but Dala knew that most of the building was useless to her. There was only one place that she was looking for. It didn’t take the child long before she found the door that would lead to the cellar but it was locked. Sighing with impatience, Dala went through her bag until she found her lockpicking kit. Taking out two picks, she began to work on unlocking the door. Her first attempted failed miserably, so did her second, and her third. It wasn’t until her fourth attempt that she was able to unlock the door. After cleaning up her lockpicking kit, she slammed the door open and ran down into the cellar. There were dozens of wine, beer, and ale bottles just waiting for somebody to take them all. Dala began bouncing up and down, clapping her hands with glee as she rushed over to take a bottle. She didn’t even bother opening it or looking at it, instead she stashed it into her purple bag that could hold anything and everything. 

“The goddess of luck is with me today!” Dala exclaimed excitedly as she went to take another bottle off the shelf. 

Cao Lixue

Character Info
Name: Cao Lixue
Race: Jiangshi
Class: Former Priestess
Silver: 126
Holy light pierced through the remaining Void Beast that prowed throughout the village. Monstrous screams echoed through the village as the beast met its end at the smoking and burnt hand of the Former Priestess. Opening and closing her injured hand as the pain and wound quickly healed her Undead body. Turning to the empty village, now void of beasts and man, or for the very least it appeared to be. Even if the village appeared desolate and near destroyed by the Void Beasts she could not live with herself if she left another behind. Cupping her hands over her mouth Lixue began calling out for any survivors still hiding within the village.

"Hello it's safe to come out the beasts have been quelled"!

"Don't worry, I'm here to help"!

Continuing to move throughout the village while calling out for anyone who may still be alive. Starting to lose faith that anyone was around, a bang caught the Undead attention shifting her sight towards a splintered door off its hinges.

"Hello"?

Stepping into the doorway small cracks from the splinted door popped through the home as Lixue continued further in. Looking around the destroyed home, she continued on further into the home with a bit more cation as whatever had made the sound had chosen not to respond to her words. While she was sure she had dealt with the last of the beast she readied a spell just in case as she moved closer toward the cellar. Peeking out from the side of the cellar door the Priestess saw no beast, but a girl in an old stained tunic with holes and a matching set of trousers with holes and stains. While her robes were hardly any better it was easy to tell that the battle damaged robes were made exclusively for her. Watching the girl as she stuffed bottle after bottle into a purple satchel, taking note of who the bag never seemed to fill. Knocking on the frame of the cellar door to get the girl's attention while giving a soft smile. "I hope you're not going to drink all of that". 
Dala

Character Info
Dala jumped at the sound of somebody knocking on wood and she almost dropped the bottle in her hands. Managing to keep a hold onto it, she turned to see a pale woman in ragged priest outfit. Dala kept her eyes on Lixue as she slowly placed the bottle she was holding into her bag before reaching for her dagger. In her eyes, this person was a potential threat who probably wanted nothing more than to steal her precious treasures. But she kept her dagger sheathed since she didn't want to make Lixue attack right away. 

"No. Alcohol is bitter and gross." Dala whined, "Honestly if adults wanted to taste something bitter and gross, they should just drink piss. It would taste about the same I bet."

It seemed as though Lixue was not going to attack her right away. There were two bottles left, so Dala quickly grabbed them and tossed them into her purple bag. She quickly closed her bags then turned back to Lixue. Her outfit was ripped and she was pale so Dala began to wonder what was up with her. Either she was just a poor pale person who had never seen the sun, or she was a vampire or something. 

"Why are you so fucking pale?" Dala asked, "Are you a vampire or something? Or were you just born with it?" 

Dala hadn't meant to be insulting, as she was genuinely interested in the answers. However her tone and the way it came out made it seem like she was being judgmental. It didn't help that her hands were on her hips and she was staring intently at Lixue. She also wanted these answers so she could know who she was dealing with. If she was a vampire, then heading out to the nearest sunny place was the best option. If she was just pale naturally…then stabbing her with a knife would do just fine. But she would only do that if Lixue attacked first. 

Cao Lixue

Character Info
Watching in amusement as the girl fumbled with the bottle from her unexpected arrival. Cheering the girl on in her mind as she managed to catch the bottle fully aware that she now no longer a witness to a crime, but an accomplice for allowing the girl to continue. However, she did not want to close the distance as the girl had not broken eye contact since she had announced her presence. Not wanting to appear threatening, she kept her distance.

Keeping her smile as the Girl spoke to her, but the second half surprised the Priestess as Girl's languages was rough no doubt a reaction to the life she had lived. Thinking the harsh life that had hardened someone so young caused her smile to dip in displeasure momentarily. "While I can agree with you on the taste I do not think one should drink.. bodily fluids". Holding back her desire to chastise the Girl on her use of words as she was already on guard, critiquing her speech would only push her further away.

As the last of the bottles had been taken, the Undead was running out of time. Remembering that she had not introduced herself she bowed slightly towards the girl. "Excuse my poor manners as I was unsure of what i'd meet. I'm am Cao Lixue, but Lixue is fine". Fumbling with her words slightly as she wanted to do too much at once. "You don't have to share your name if you do not wish, and while I'd ask what you are doing here, though it seems fairly obvious". Screaming inside as her mouth spoke faster than her mind, making her out to sound like an idiot.

Pausing to collect herself the Girl's next words shook the Undead Priestess. It was not the cursing, but the claim. Looking at the Girl who had her hands on her hips and was staring directly at her changed the entire flow of the conversation. Remaining silent as she stared back at the Girl smile fading as she tried to get a feel for who the Little Stranger was. Lying to the girl would do nothing, but drive her away and ruin the entire reason she was ignoring her theft as she understood that desperation drives others to immoral acts as a necessity to survive. However, on a personal level, she did not want anyone to know what she had become. Torn between her wants and a possible need made her feel slightly ashamed of herself for even thinking of putting her desires before helping another.

"For future reference, questioning another who you just met about their appearance is not very polite more so when you use such foul language. Now to your question of what I am, honestly I don't fully know either, but if you're asking for ways to defend against me let me remove your concerns as I do not want to harm you. In fact, my whole reason for clearing the town was to look for remaining survivors which has lead to our meeting". Lowering herself and returning her smile, the Priestess would offer the girl a hand. "I may have cleared the beasts, for now, but other stragglers may wander over. I can bring us to the nearby city where you can hawk your "wares", and maybe get a room for us as I don't know about you, but I can use a bath after all of this fighting". Of course, food would also come with the deal, but she was hoping that the Girl accepted as perhaps there was an orphanage or a family that would be able to take the girl in.
Dala

Character Info
The lady had good dialect, despite her ragged robes. She appeared to have manners and was even lecturing Dala on them. It was obvious that this woman was not a normal poor person. She either was once middle class or wealthy and became poor, or there was something else going on. The woman also mentioned how she wasn't going to hurt the child and was only looking for survivors in the village. Dala, an ever speculative child, didn't trust the woman. Especially after she offered to help bring her to a nearby city to sell wares…….and to get a room. Dala thought of something rather unpleasant and had to figure out if that was the type of person that Lixue was. 

"Lady….I hope you mean getting a room for sleeping." Dala said with deep suspicion, "And I will be able to figure out if you are going to try to sell me into slavery or anything like that so if that's your intention, then I'd say to give it up now."

Dala knew that she needed a place to stay but she was highly suspicious of a woman who was offering her a room to stay in for free. Why would this lady offer that unless there was some kind of intention behind it? Perhaps it was merely pity that was driving Lixue's actions. There were plenty of people out there who would do something out of pity, that was why adoption existed after all. But Dala knew that after her words, most people's pity would have vanished in an instant. People only pitied those who were innocent or wide-eyed. Anybody who showed otherwise were to be treated like dirt. 

"I suppose you can come with me." Dala said, putting her hands on her hips, "I was actually going to head over to that nearby city anyway….not cause you invited me or anything! We'd better get going…or else who knows what might come around." 

She had finally decided to go with the woman. If the woman wanted to hurt her, she would have done so already. Bringing her to a town would be less trouble that it was worth and if she wanted to sell her into slavery or do anything horrible, a dingy cellar underneath an abandoned tavern would have been the best place to do it. Dala took Lixue's hand and began to pull her towards the exit, acting as though she was the adult and Lixue was the child. 

Cao Lixue

Character Info
Still holding the position as she awaited the girl's response. While her training and undead body removed such things as cramping and fatigue it was still socially awkward to knee with her hand outstretched in silence. Suffering in silence as she awaited her a response the Priestess light up as the girl finally spoke up. However, her words were met with confusion as Lixue cocked her head slightly, "What else would one do in a bedroom"? her confusion would soon be cleared as the girl's next statement caused the Priestess to stand straight up with a pained expression as she lightly gripped her chest in attempts to hold back her emotions. "I would never do such a thing to someone and those that take part in such a thing will see no mercy from me"! Thinking about slavers and those that buy living things made the Former Priestess' expression darken as she let horrible and cruel thoughts fill her mind of what she'd do to such people. Shaking her head as to quickly dispel such thoughts and revert back to a soft expression to comfort the young girl. "Don't worry I have no plans of stealing away your freedom, however, your actions will lead to the loss of your freedoms one day, but I want to make sure that your safe and sound on a more beneficial path for yourself and others". Simply giving the girl a light smile in attempts to show that she truly wished to help the girl as she awaited her response no doubt through another long awkward silence.

As she waiting on her new companion to be, Lixue thought on what outrageous things the girl may come up with next. Perhaps she'll think she's trying to fatten her up to eat or steal her soul. While both of those things were a possibility, it was unlikely as the Undead had hardly used any magic to deal with the small number of beasts that hounded the town. Even if she did somehow lose control the gaes would activate to ensure the girl's safety.

Beaming as the girl agreed in her own way. "Completely understandable, as it is better to stay in a group". Surprised that the girl approached her and took her hand. Hoping that her cold body temperature did not bother the young girl as she attempted to pull the Undead priestess along like a lost child. 

Holding her ground and halting the their progress as she hid her amusement at the small girl's attempt to pull her. "Before we go I could use that bag of yours". Letting her go Lixue would wave her to follow her as she walked to the small grouping of dead void beasts that she had slain earlier. Frost and burns covered the various beasts. Holding her hand out to stop her companion, "Move a bit away dear I don't want you to get caught in the fumes". Raising her hand over the general area of the beasts black mist seeped out form her hand and creep over the collection of dead beasts. Quickly the flesh began to bubble and melt off of the creatures leaving only the bones of the corrupted to beats. Creating a set of tools out of ice Lixue began to work on removing teeth, horns and whatever else looked of value. "Catch", tossing teeth and bone towards the girl as she combed through the beasts assuming that the girl was smart enough to store the items in her bag.

Once she had finished picking the remains clean of anything that she believed had value she bowed slightly at the girl. "Sorry for the detour, i'll make it up to you by cutting down on the travel time". Straightening her postured and shifting away from the girl, Lixue would clap her hands together then break her hands apart moving in separate ways till she completed a circle causing an arcane oval to form showing the reflection of the Adeluna's markets.
Dala

Character Info
The Priestess' reaction made it crystal clear that she was not interested in the enslavement of others. This made Dala's trust grow a bit as anybody who had such a reaction to slavery could not be a threat. It seemed that this woman had almost as much hatred for slavers as the child did. Lixue let go of her hand and motioned Dala to follow. The child didn't fully trust the stranger yet but her hand had left the hilt of her dagger. Even though Dala would never admit it, Lixue had earned a sliver of trust from her after that reaction to slavery and the lack of doing anything bad to her. She stopped before the dead eldritch beasts and their black mist. The child backed up a bit and watched as Lixue began to dissect the creatures. Then Lixue threw the teeth and bones towards her and she quickly began catching the items to stash away in her purple bag. Dala knew that these items would be valuable and there would be many people who would want them. 

"Don't forget to search for void crystals." Dala said, "Sometimes these things will have crystals on or in them. I don't know why." 

The child had remembered the last time that she tore apart a chomper, after it was already dead, she had found many interesting things, including a crystal. Though the crystal could have just been something that the chomper had eaten. Soon Lixue was done and she mentioned cutting down on travel time. This confused Dala for a while before Lixue created an arcane oval that showed the reflection of Adeluna's markets. 

"….Damn. I need to learn more magic." The child said, without hesitation. 

Years of cursing and being herself had made it difficult to not curse, especially since cursing typically made other people not bother her. They didn't do it out of fear but they did it because they viewed her as less innocent. 

"Sooooo does that mean you are a magic lady?" Dala asked, "Wait……Are you a cursed magical princess?!"

Dala grew very excited very quickly. 

Cao Lixue

Character Info
Overhearing the girl's reactionary response, Lixue thought about the probability of an academy or mage to take the young girl in. If it were her clan the girl would have to show an incredible affinity for magic for the heads to take the girl in as even back then Karith was all about one's ability to produce results. If you were lacking or could not keep up you would never advance and eventually be ostracised from all of Karith. Unfortunately for the girl, most mages were not much better as many, herself included to a point are all about their own personal magical pursuits. It would be unlikely for a mage to apprentice the young girl unless they had a use for her. Looking towards the girl for a moment to think on everything she knew about her. While personality does not affect one's magical affinity more than often one's affinity for a certain element line up with their personality.

As she was about to respond to the girl's desire to learn magic her young companion suddenly grew very excited seemly to switch from the cold hardened world weary survivor to a child fawning over stories and heroes. While the first question was fairly obvious as she was indeed a lady who did magic the second part broke through the Undead's social graces causing her to let out a small laugh at the notion of her being a princess. "A princess, no, but I'm flattered that you think so highly of me. though cursed fits in line with what I currently am. If anything a cursed priestess, but my family or order no longer exists so I am merely Lixue". Feeling her stomach twist from the mere thought of what and who she is now. Perhaps others would feel differently about her newfound lease on life as she had no ties to anyone or anything, but to one whose whole life was planned out for them the sheer amount of freedom was terrifying.

Extending her hand towards the girl. "We should sell our findings before the markets close, but while we're in the city please do not mention what I am as Adeluna does not think highly of beings such as myself". Of course, she understood why they would be concerned about something like herself as she had hunted such creatures for years, and now that she was one of them she had an even better understanding of why she and beings like her should be feared. "After we collect our silver and have a nice bath and eat. If you're not too tired we could see if you have an aptitude for magic by your toughness I'd bet on earth being your elemental ailment". Lighting up the mood and to break the ice more. The Undead Priestess would do her best to make the girl's life a little bit brighter in hopes that she would begin a new chapter of her life with a step in the right direction.
Dala

Character Info
Dala at first was confused, as she didn't know the difference between a priestess and a princess. Both were leaders, female, had a significant amount of power and influence over people, and they both lived in fancy buildings that normal people couldn't live in. The only difference it seemed is that one was religious and had est instead of nc in their titles. Dala was about to ponder this more but Lixue started to speak up. Apparently the plan was to head to the markets and to not mention anything about her being a priestess, which made sense since most did not like cursed beings. 

"Alright. But I'm keeping the alcohol. It's a good tool to influence people and get them on your side, or at least get them too drunk to properly function." Dala stated, "But I do have other things to sell. And yes I would like to learn magic. As much as possible." 

Dala wondered what type of magic she was best at. She had tried a bit of magic with mud spells but it was never that strong. Out of all the magic, Dala assumed that some form of dark magic would probably be her elemental ailment. After all, the child had experienced enough sorrow and hatred to power many spells, or at least that is what she believed. She had never done any dark magic but from the description of it, that type of magic seemed like it would be helped with her personality. 

Breaking away from her thoughts, Dala took Lixue's hand and went through the portal to Adeluna Markets, ready for the new location and new adventure. Wondering what Lixue was really up to. 

Cao Lixue

Character Info
Sighing as the girl spook about things that she should not have to worry about. Putting a pin in the young girl's view on the world for now as holding the gate open and having a long talk in a dangerous area was probably not the best of ideas.

With her little companion in tow, they both entered the portal existing into the busy markets of Adeluna the gate leading to the stone encased marketplace seemed to attract unwanted attention as citizens gathered around the portal with guards at the ready as the Undead and the Girl fully passed through the gate. Quickly putting herself between the girl and the guardsmen as they demanded their reason for entering the city. Unable to bow due to the spears pointed in close proximity of herself Lixue curtsied, "Do not worry I mean you nor the city no harm. As to the reason for entering in such an intrusive way is do to the young lady behind me. I simply did not want to risk her safety after finding her among a Void beast infested village and I'd appreciate it if you would refrain from pointing weapons towards her". Seeing that the woman was protecting a child the guards relented.

"Sorry my lady, but with the threat of the beast we have to be on our guard, in the future please use the gates".

It seemed that Lixue's magical ability and speech had quite an effect on the guards. "Of course and I apologize for causing a disturbance it was not my intent". With the crisis averted the Priestess felt very foolish as she turned to Dala. "Here I am asking you to be careful and my foolish actions almost imprison the both of us". While the Gate was supposed to ease travel, the secondary reason was to impress and help convince her young friend that she was here to help.

Looking around at the various stalls spreads and storefronts the labyrinthine markets were quiet overwhelming as she had never been to such a large city before. Feeling more embarrassment well up within herself as the Priestess swallowed her pride as she turned back to Dala. "Have you been here before as I don't know the best place to sell monster parts".