Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Corval Basin > Plains of Bohar > Confusion [L:4]
Nocturne

Character Info
Name: Aidoneus
Alignment: LG
Race: Eidolon
Class: Summoner
Silver: 0
They were both new and inexperienced enough with the world to be completely taken by the tribe elder's words. Perhaps you could not fault them for being so trusting; they were both innocent in their own ways. And the description of a temple which neither of the two had heard of before was the perfect excuse for the beleaguered man to send these troublemakers away. Aidoneus listened carefully to every word, committing them to memory. That was one of the eidolons' greatest merits–an impeccable, photographic memory which recorded everything they heard and saw. The old man gave Attie directions, marking the general area of where said temple was located. He then left the two to their own devices, clearly relieved to be rid of them. Not that they would have known, as his face of wearied annoyance was never seen. 

His newfound companion turned to him with eager eyes. Right away she asked if he wished to go. She wanted to learn about this individual named 'Reverie', an entity of great importance if there was a building built in her honor. With a firm nod, he gave his answer. "Yes, I would greatly appreciate traveling with you. I will place my faith in your skill of navigation, as I am afraid I do not recognize most of the symbols and places on your map." Understanding relative distance was an acquired ability, and although he could simply learn through another drop of blood, he felt Attie had helped him enough by allowing him to understand her language instantly. The walk would do him good, and he could see the outside world with his own eyes, to know how the world had changed in the past centuries. As they set forth to their new destination, the arrows in his chest were now completely gone. The holes in his clothing mysteriously repaired themselves too, but their minds were full of thoughts and expectations of what they might find in that temple.

I am fond of them, of the inferior beings of the abyss, of those who are full of longing…
Attie

Character Info
Name: Attie
Alignment: CN
Race: Human (Dead)
Class: Wanderer/Scholar
Attie's eyes filled with delight when her new friend agreed to go to the temple. She grabbed his hand and began to rush over to the path that the map shown. There wasn't a path directly to the area of the temple but there was a path that went near it. So the girl decided to take the path that would bring them in the right direction. As they walked, Attie looked at her new friend and noticed that his arrows were completely gone. He mentioned that he was some form of Eidolon but Attie had no idea what that was. But based on his healing power or ability, her best bet was some sort of advanced slime. A slime that could take the form of human. There was no other creature that she could think of that could absorb arrows and heal in that manner other than slimes. But he didn't look like one so perhaps he was given slime abilities? 

Deciding it was too much of a puzzle to figure out at once, Attie focused on the map instead. Some parts of the plains were harder to navigate than others since the path vanished into the grass at some places. But she was able to keep them mostly on track. Eventually they went off the path to the right and kept walking until they came across a massive cave entrance. The entrance had three skeletons next to it and was as dark as the night. Attie lifted up her nose and sniffed the area to find any scent of danger. She walked over to the skeletons and sniffed the bones, trying to figure out what might have caused the death. 

"A pack of wolves." She explained, "But the smell is faint. If there were wolves using this as their den, the smell would be much stronger." 

Attie stood up then began to walk into the cave without another word. She figured that if there was any danger, she would be able to sniff it out. The thought of things like traps or of creatures without a scent didn't occur to her. The cave was at first, a medium sized tunnel that seemed to go on forever. But eventually they would come out into a sparkling large cave with a large waterfall flowing through it. Surrounding the waterfall and river were little blue glowing flowers. The entire flower glowed and was a shade of light blue. These flowers lit up the darkness and caste everything into a soft light blue. The ceiling of the cave had long spikes that were speckled with tiny white crystals that reflected the blue light from the flowers, causing them to look like tiny little stars on the ceiling. 

But there was no sign of the temple. Attie looked around but could not find any building nor entrance to a mysterious temple. Little did Attie know, there was an entrance behind the waterfall. The water pouring down to the river hid the gray door that hid behind it. The gray door had the symbol of Reverie etched into the door. The symbol was of a woman who was half human while the bottom half of her stretched out into land with trees, bushes, and humans. There was a massive pile of rocks behind the door, keeping it from being opened. 
Nocturne

Character Info
Aidoneus was naturally confused when their directions let them to a cave than a temple. He had expected a clearly visible building in the open air, though perhaps the temple was self-contained beyond the cavern's entrance? He then quickly corrected himself upon seeing the unfortunate skeletal remains of three individuals, their bones likely having been left there for a while. The darkness was not as worrying, as his eyes adjusted to the lack of light. Attie's investigative methods led to her conclusion that the cause of death was wolves, though this hadn't happened recently. The eidolon did not have much else to add, trusting in her judgment and following her lead. The darkness gradually lifted as the cave's tunnel underwent a wondrous transformation. There was the sound of rushing water, the walls began to sparkle like the starry night skies. They came upon a hidden chamber that housed a secret waterfall feeding into an underground river. Perhaps the water was magical, as the flowers that grew around it were luminescent. They brought back memories of Parnassia's unusual flora, trees and plants which underwent transformation upon receiving eidolon ichor. Had any of his kind survived the mountain's fall?

There was no sign of the aforementioned temple anywhere, despite the beauty of this cavern. "I wonder…perhaps the tribal elder's instructions were incorrect?" Aidoneus did not believe that Attie had made a mistake, as she was the one who eagerly listened. His memory of the directions the man had imparted had not been false. This was quite the conundrum. Taking a careful look about their surroundings, he wondered where a temple's entrance could be hidden. Could it be masked by some sort of ancient magic, only revealing itself when certain actions were performed in the right order? Or was it physically hidden, in a place that most would not expect? "Why don't we search the breadth of this place? It would be a shame to leave so soon when we came all this way. I will begin searching in the river. Your senses may be keener than mine, so you might be able to find something before I do." He began to wade into the water, unconcerned that he would be getting wet. Drowning was one of the things he did not need to worry about, so he could search the river's bottom as long as he wished.

I am fond of them, of the inferior beings of the abyss, of those who are full of longing…
Attie

Character Info
Attie's eyes widened with surprise and delight at the inside of the cave. The flowers seemed the glow and there were shining crystals making the ceiling look like stars. But there was something else about this cave that made her uneasy. Why would the wolves abandon this place? It had a nice stream, was large, and it would provide the protection that wolves needed. Heading further into the cave, she began inspecting the flowers, wondering what could have made them look this way. Plucking a flower, she inspected the roots to find that they were just as luminescent as the blooms. Seeing no other alternative, she stuck the flower in her mouth and ate it. The taste was of a regular flower but it also had an aftertaste of something very familiar. It was the same taste as a mana potion. Attie's eyes widened in realization as she stood up and looked over to Aidoneus. 

"I think we are in the right place." She said, "These flowers taste like mana potions. But I don't know why. If they are so strange then I know we must have come across something. Temple or not." 

Attie listened to Aidoneus' plan and nodded. She began using her nose to sniff the area. The scent of the flowers flowed through the air and distracted her multiple times. First, she headed over to the crystals to inspect them. She wasn't able to get on the ceiling but she was able to see them clearly. It seemed that the crystals didn't do much so she decided to explore the edges of the cave. The water was coming through a small hole in the wall. By observing the hole, she was able to see that it was not naturally made through the passage of time. It had been made a long long time ago by people. The hole was too perfect and in an odd spot for it to be natural. She decided to follow it down to the waterfall and began to feel as though things were becoming too boring. Standing on top of the waterfall on a rock that wasn't in the water, she looked down to see Aidoneus in the river. 

"Hey Aidoneus, Why did the ocean not want to go to the party?" She joked, "Because she was all tide up with other stuff!"

Before Attie could tell another terrible joke, she slipped and fell over the edge of the waterfall. Her hands caught the edge of the waterfall and she was looking through the water to see a very strange door. She wanted to tell Aidoneus about her find but she was too short to reach the bottom of the waterfall and there was too much water pouring at her face for her to be able to speak properly. 
Nocturne

Character Info
Aidoneus was face-down in the river, eyes open as he peered down at the bottom. He unfortunately missed hearing Attie's clever play on words, only hearing distorted sounds that told him she was speaking. But then after a while it seemed a bit too quiet, and he looked up to see where she had gone. "Have you found something, Attie–" His eyes went wide when he saw her dangling from the top of the waterfall, hanging on like a piece of cloth caught on a twig within a stream. With a wave of his hand, he commanded the rocks on the ground to take form into something strong and sturdy enough to withstand the force of the water's flow. A large earthen elemental emerged to which the eidolon placed a hand on its 'head'. "Go, stand beneath the waterfall and raise the girl up out of the current. There is not much time, hurry!" The elemental followed his instruction, positioning itself in front of the hidden door to lift up its arms. A mobile platform of earth found the bottom of Attie's feet and began to push upward until its maker told it could stop. 

The curve of earthen hands prevented her from losing her footing once she could breathe, and Aidoneus was greatly relieved. He waved for the elemental to bring her down, noticing a strange doorway now that its body had redirected part of the rushing water. He would attend to that once he confirmed Attie was in good condition, as he feared she had swallowed too much water. "Are you alright? Can you hear me?" He held a hand over her nose and mouth to see if he could feel the slightest movement of air. Alas, he had little knowledge on how to pump water out of a nearly-drowned person, however he was willing to try. Placing his hands to open her nose and mouth, he manipulated the air to enter and hopefully push out any water that had gotten into the wrong pipes. The earth elemental's body wasn't delicate enough to assist more than acting as a solid surface. He also feared that it might crush the girl's internal organ structures.  

Attie

Character Info
Water poured onto her face and she kept her mouth as tightly shut as possible. But she had forgotten about her nose and accidentally breathed in a portion of water. She coughed which only let more water in. Attie could hear Aidoneus but it felt as though it was miles away. Her grip on the waterfall edge was loosening and just as she was about to let go, something beneath her feet held her up. At this point Attie was somewhat still awake but the swallowing water and lack of breathing wasn't doing her much good. She felt herself getting carried over and placed on the ground. Suddenly, just as she was about to pass out, she felt air pass into her lungs and push the water out. Her eyes opened wide as she turned to her side and water erupted from her mouth. Attie began coughing and gasping for air, but then she felt something and quickly ran behind a rock to puke. The air thing that Aidoneus had done triggered her gagging reflexes and she was trying to be polite by ducking behind a rock. After she was done, she headed over to the river to clean off her face. She was drenched to the bone but she didn't seem to mind it.

"Hey guess what I found!" Attie said with a beaming smile, "I found a door behind a waterfall. Also thanks for the save. I owe you one!"

It didn't seem to phase her that she might have just died. But the issue of her wet clothes did concern her as wet clothes were not fun. She held out her hands in front of her and began mumbling a spell. As her hands began to glow with light, water started to leave her clothes and form into a water blob in front of her. Soon her clothes were completely dry and she used her magic to make the water return to the river. 

"A friend taught me that. Wasn't it cool?" Attie said, "Now lets go see what's behind that door."

Her hands were still glowing and she used that magic to separate the stream of water flowing down the waterfall. But she couldn't knock the door down if she was busy getting the water out of the way. 

"Wanna try opening that door?" Attie asked Aidoneus. 
Nocturne

Character Info
Aidoneus was impressed by Attie's clever use of magic. Most would have used fire to dry their clothes out, however removing the water directly was a more efficient and safer method. Now that they were aware of the door behind the waterfall, Attie parted the rushing torrent further to give him the opportunity to inspect it. There didn't seem to be any visible way to open it, but he would give it a try. "Yes, I shall. There is a distinct lack of an opening mechanism as far as the eye can see, how odd. I will give it a thorough look over nonetheless." The door was beautifully crafted, the design clearly made with care. Figures and symbols of unknown importance adorned its surface and the eidolon wondered what they could mean. He chose not to dwell on those thoughts for too long, he did not wish to keep his companion waiting. He ran his hands over the door to sense any subtle discrepancies or hidden mechanisms. There was a strong aura of magic emanating from it, dense and concentrated throughout the material. No clues to his knowledge were present to guide them on how to open the way. If this place had been left untouched for years, perhaps the knowledge of its inner workings may have been lost to time.

He returned empty-handed, though he wanted Attie to have a chance to try. Turning to the earth elemental who faithfully remained standing, he spoke to it: "Come and take her place beneath the water. With your hands, divert the water's flow for us while we search further." The being of stone moved to comply, using its great hands to push the waterfall's flow apart so Attie could take a rest. "There appears to be no hidden panels or buttons which we can press. However I did sense a great power resonating from the door. Do you think it will yield to the presence of magic?" If that too then failed, they could always try pushing it open. Sometimes a closed door did not necessarily mean a locked one. 

Attie

Character Info
Attie felt a great amount of relief when the earth elemental took her place and allowed her to move freely. She listened as Aidoneus mentioned that there were no hidden panels or buttons to press. There was a great power resonating from the door apparently and Aidoneus wondered if it would open after being in the presence of magic, or at least that was how the girl chose to interpret his words. She inspected the door and then pressed her ear to it, trying to see if she could hear the other side.

There were no sounds coming from inside of the door. There were no handles on the door to open it up but there was a strange symbol in the center of the door. The symbol showed a circle with a crescent moon above it. She pushed her hand on the symbol but nothing happened. Taking a few steps back, Attie inspected the door trying to figure out what would work. Suddenly an idea came to her head. 

"Aidoneus, step back. I'm gonna see if I can blow the door down." She explained. 

Holding her glowing hands towards the door, a burst of magic erupted from them and slammed into the door. Attie was giving it her all and stopped after a few seconds but the door remained. However, the symbol was glowing brightly. It was as though the magical flame had turned it on. The door slowly began to move into the ground, opening up a passage before them. The passage was dark and there were two skeletons lying on the ground. The skeleton were positioned in front of the door, as though they were trying desperately to get out. 

"Oh so that's what you meant by presence of magic. Well done! Let's go!" Attie cheerfully said, paying on mind to the skeletons or what their positions indicated. 

All she wanted to do was to read books, not worry about dangers that might come their way.