Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Corval Basin > Plains of Bohar > Help, bandits! [P]
Narrator

Character Info
Name: The Narrator
Alignment: TN
Race: Human, or am I?
Class: Smooth-voiced narrator
Silver: 1020
[Note; Thisis a showcase thread made with an alt of mine. It’s an example.]Behold, Tegerral. A village with a hundred andfifty inhabitants, a village revolving around simple farming. Located somewhere
in the Adeluna flatlands, but a few-travelled nexus of the country’s vast network
of roads that all lead to the capital.Gaze upon this simple village, peaceful and simple.Imagine the serenity of this place, how quiet it must be. And know that this is
not the case.No, unfortunately there’s a tension in the air.The people are not as warm and open as they used to be, not as carefree to walk
alone or happy enough to smile to everyone they greet. Ever since crime came to
this peaceful little village, the mood has been dropping lower and lower. Ever
since the bandits showed up, this village seized to be peaceful and serene.

As you walk or ride into Tegerral, you noticethe mood. It doesn’t necessarily strike you as odd, for you have never been
here. But you see how the people look skittish and somewhat worried at the sight
of an unknown face.People quickly walk back into their house orgroup up with their neighbours. Not all do, certainly not. Children look at you
with a glint in their eyes, and some people can tell from your appearance and
equipment that you are not the kind of riffraff that troubles them.Wandering further into the village youeventually reach the village centre. Standing near the well, you look around at
the village and the people who are gathering around to have a look at the
stranger in their midst. 

Hello there,

I

am the Narrator.

Allow my smooth voice to shape the fantasies in your head into marvellous landscapes, thrilling adventures and touching relationships. Let my silky words carry you to Nevaliir and wrap your mind into a snuggly cover of wonder and amazement. I am the voice in your head, the solid foundation of your imagination, your guidance to your own dreams.

For I,

I am the Narrator.
Sir Isaac

Character Info
Name: Sir Knight Isaac Bartholomew Casnothal the Second of house Casnothal
Alignment: LG
Race: Human
Class: Knight
Silver: 392
[Whoops, looks like I screwed up copy pasting in the last post. Well, that's what these practice runs are for.]

Sir Isaaclooks around, looking at the quaint little village and the people who’re just a
tad bit more wary of him than most villagers are. There is a tension in the
air.

Not that hedidn’t expect it, his house told him that there was some kind of disturbance in
the area. Something that was upsetting the villagers. That’s why they send him
to investigate, after all. It would be quite disappointing if there was nothing
amiss but unfounded rumours, so the tension didn’t unnerve him. Though the
people’s stares did, just a little.

Sir Isaac curlshis moustache around his finger, playing it with while he examines the houses
for the one he’d have to visit. There were two that stood out as potential
mayor houses, or at least as the more prestigious houses of the village. The
one with the blue in the roof and the one with smoke coming from the chimney. He
would have to choose one.

[Tutorial:Using the map to determine a direction or location is always okay to get
somewhere.]

Sir Isaaclooks around once more, but it didn’t seem like the villagers were going to
come near of their own accord. They still kept a safe distance, too far to
speak to them without shouting. And that would just be rude to do.

Well, hewould have to make a choice eventually. Might as well do it right now. Turning
to the house with the blue roof, Sir Isaac walks to the door and knocks.
Narrator

Character Info
[Welp, seems like that BBCode button does have a purpose after all.]

A woman opens the door of the small mansion, first wide open and then closing it again quickly once she sees an unfamiliar face. Keeping the door at a slid just wide enough for her eye to peak through, she sizes you up and asks you who you are.

Seems like inhospitality is quite new to these people. The woman hadn’t even thought of looking who was visiting them as she opened the door, a mistake that no one would make in the big city. No, the kind and welcome habits of these people were still very much present, speaking volumes of how serene the place was not weeks ago.
As you introduce yourself and ask if the mayor is present, the woman asks you to wait for a bit and the door closes again.

[Tutorial: If you speak your mind or think of what you would like to do next, I can narrate you do it as opposed to you having to make a new post and wait twice as long to continue.]

[Tutorial: The setting is quite flexible. Unless there’s an actual plot-relevant reason, details such as what house would be the mayor’s are interchangeable. Had you gone to the house with the smoke coming from the chimney, you would’ve gone to the correct house too.]

Soon enough footsteps near you once again and the door opens. This time it opens wide without being closed again quickly. A man, probably in his mid-forties with his grey hair quickly draining the brown from his head but not thinning the volume of his hair quite yet, stands in the door.

He’s not fearless, but he doesn’t appear to be anxious and skittish either. There is a cautious hint in his expression, but he’s not armed nor does his body language suggest he’ll flee at the first sign of danger. This man doesn’t want to live in fear, he doesn’t want to give in to the threat of the bandits. But he’s no hero either, those youthful days long behind him.

“Greetings, stranger. My name is Benjamin Diggle, and I am the mayor of Tegerral. I heard you were looking for me?” The man says with a voice not laced with confidence and charisma, but steady and calm. “If I may ask, who might you be?”

Hello there,

I

am the Narrator.

Allow my smooth voice to shape the fantasies in your head into marvellous landscapes, thrilling adventures and touching relationships. Let my silky words carry you to Nevaliir and wrap your mind into a snuggly cover of wonder and amazement. I am the voice in your head, the solid foundation of your imagination, your guidance to your own dreams.

For I,

I am the Narrator.
Sir Isaac

Character Info
Sir Isaac smiles, giving his moustache one last curl before he lets go to place his right hand on his chest and his left arm straight. He gives a curt 10 degree bow with a friendly smile.

“Greetings, good sir. My name is Sir Knight Isaac Bartholomew Casnothal the Second, second son of Lord Knight Matthew Leonard Casnothal the Third, Lord of house Casnothal.”
Sir Isaac smiles as his name and noble heritage impresses the mayor, who immediately straightens up a bit.

[Tutorial: God-moding NPCs in a simple and non-invasive manner is always okay. A bit more is okay as well. Please don’t do things like stab a plot-relevant NPC, though.]

“I was told that there was some kind of disturbance in the area? I’m here to investigate what it is and, if possible, resolve the issue.”
Narrator

Character Info
“House Casnothal? My deepest apologies, my Lord.” Mayor Diggle says, quickly taking a knee for you. Behind him, his wife bows too. Whispers rise from the people watching you from afar upon seeing their mayor bow before you.

“Please, please. Come in, take a seat. You must be tired from your journey. If there’s anything you need, please just tell us so. Food, water, anything we can offer.” Diggle continues. “I must apologise profusely for not greeting you upon your entrance to our humble village. I wasn’t notified that we would receive such a prestigious guest.”

[Tutorial: The same flexibility also applies to things such as your background and current power. If the location allows it, this village becomes part of House Casnothal’s domain. If your legend allows it, the NPCs have heard of your tales and deeds.]

“Please, sit. If there’s anything…” Diggle continues. His wife quickly appears with water in what’s probably their most prestigious crystal, though the glass is of nominal quality to you. “If you wish for something with a bit more of a kick, we have a bottle of Adeluna wine.” Diggle quickly looks at his wife and nods to the kitchen, and she quickly goes to fetch the bottle.

“Anyway, you’ve spoken of a disturbance. Indeed, there’s something troubling our humble village as we speak.” Diggle says, sitting down in the chair opposite to yours. “Bandits, my Lord. They came out of nowhere and they came with many.”

“Which unfortunately means that we have little silver to our name as of now. They’ve been stealing from us for weeks now, not just our valuables but even living necessities like our flint and whetstones.” He continues. “Sometimes they even take people prisoner if someone’s careless enough to walk alone outside of the village.”

“A savvy bunch, they are. They don’t demand all the silver of the village for their hostage, just a sum of 50 silver every time. But they target the young women, knowing that we’ll pay up quickly. Before they can…” Diggle shudders, the very thought too grim to speak out loud. “We have maybe one ransom sum left amongst the whole village, and once that is paid we will be lost. One bad harvest and we’ll be reduced to abandoning the village and wander the big city as beggars.”

The mayor and his wife both look down solemnly, the very thought a prospect much too real. Perhaps even a future that they had all but accepted to be an inevitability.

“I’m sorry, my Lord. But that is what troubles us right now. We only have one guard in this village, he cannot possibly face so many bandits alone. And we don’t have the money to hire mercenaries.” Diggle says.

Hello there,

I

am the Narrator.

For I,

I am the Narrator.
Sir Isaac

Character Info
Sir Isaac looks at the mayor, solemn and defeated. The same broken expression hangs like a shadow over his wife, who places the bottle of wine on the table.

“There’s no need.” Isaac says as she’s about to uncork the bottle. “I do appreciate a good drink every now and again, but this is neither the time nor the place to get drunk.”

[Tutorial: Under the ‘Stick in the woods’ rule, you are allowed to obtain items from the setting within reasonability. These items will only be in your possession for the duration of the thread. The bottle of wine for example can be obtained as (partial) reward or otherwise demanded, whether full or empty. The same goes with items that are most likely present in the house, like pillows or a chair. Things that are too valuable to be taken or borrowed require barter or theft, which you cannot god-mode. The Narrator shall roll a d20 for your success.]

“I see. Your village faces quite a challenge indeed. Tell me, good man, how many bandits with what kind of equipment are we talking here? How organised are they?” Isaac asks. “And do you know where their den is located?”

“Worry not, for I shall not sit still or turn away when the good people of my domain are suffering like this.” Sir Isaac says, getting up again and placing his left hand on the hilt of his sword. “I shall go seek out these foul bandits and chase them away.”

Sir Isaac curls his moustache around his finger, smiling proudly as he sees the glimmer of hope and amazement in the eyes of the mayor and his wife.
Narrator

Character Info
“How many bandits? I’m not sure, but I think a whole dozen. At least eight as far as we’ve been able to see and distinguish from one another. Their leader is a bald man with a scar on his lip, or at least we think he’s their leader.” Diggle says, looking down in contemplation to recall all the rumours and sightings that his villagers had spread amongst one another.

“Equipment-wise, I wouldn’t know exactly. Their leader has an axe meant for combat and one or two have swords, but I don’t believe most of their weapons are much better than what we have here. Bows meant for hunting, spears of simple quality, one even uses two simple harvesting sickles as weapons. At least, their weapons are simple as far as I can tell. None of our residents have a keen eye for these things.”

“Organisation-wise, they’re smart. I already told you of their foul practice of taking hostages, so they no doubt have scouts watching the village.” Diggle says. “And their den is probably somewhere to the west, Carl’s farmstead most likely. It has been abandoned for half a decade now, easy pickings.”

Upon hearing this information, you get up and smile encouraging. Upon telling that you shall deal with this problem, a big smile and a strong surge of hope well up in the mayor.

“Oh, thank you! Thank you, my Lord!” Diggle says. “If there’s anything you need, anything we can offer you, please ask!”

[Tutorial: Feel free to do multiple actions at once in one post, to make sure that the thread won’t take forever. Asking questions about the setting and quest, encouraged for being good RP’ing, can be done in quick succession. If the answer won’t change your decision like here, the reaction can also be added after it. The Narrator shall narrate the events as if you’ve had a conversation with the NPC.]

Hello there,

I

am the Narrator.

For I,

I am the Narrator.
Sir Isaac

Character Info
Sir Isaac smiles, nods to the mayor and walks out of the house. The people who were watching him from afar before are now crowded around the door, skittering back a bit when the door opens but curious nonetheless.

“Greetings, citizens!” Sir Isaac proclaims aloud. “My name is Sir Knight Isaac Bartholomew Casnothal the Second, second son of your Lord Casnothal. I have heard of your plight and came to help you in your time of need!”

The people look up in amazement, clapping and gawking. With a broad smile and his finger curling his signature moustache, Sir Isaac lets them admire him for a bit longer before he urges them to make way. There was still some time left of the day, but he couldn’t linger too long before dusk would come. If he wanted to deal with this issue before nightfall, he had to hurry.

The crowd departs and Sir Isaac looks up at the sky, determining which way would be west and thus the path to the farmstead presumed to be the bandit’s hideout. Having asked the more specific directions before leaving, he knew that he had to follow the main path until a fork near a lightning-split tree.

[Tutorial: Coming up with things done in the past or own details to fluff up the RP’ing yourself is always okay, especially if it’s about things that are easily overlooked. If it’s plot-relevant that you didn’t know, I will PM you and pretend it was false info or never mentioned.]

A figure parts from the crowd, quickly walking up to Sir Isaac. He was wearing simple leather armour from his shoes to his helmet, his equipment worn but well-kept. A cheap but proper sword is strapped to his belt.

“My Lord!” He says, bowing deeper than he has to. “My name is Finn, I’m the guard of this village. Please, my Lord, I ask you if you’ll let me accompany you during your fight with these bandits, as it was my duty to protect the village from them. While I have failed to do this before, I still see it as my responsibility. Please, it’s my duty to protect these people, and thus to help you.”

Sir Isaac thinks for a moment, but then shakes his head no. “As you said, it is your duty to protect these people. If you were to be wounded or killed during the battle, the village will be without a sword arm to protect them from the next spot of trouble. I shall go defeat this threat, you remain here to ensure that no bandits attack the village in the meantime. Feel not like you failed your duties, sometimes we face hardships too great to conquer ourselves. It is not a shortcoming, it’s simply the way of the world sometimes.”

[Tutorial: As it had been mentioned before that this village has a guard, making him appear is okay. Adding people to the party like this falls under the ‘Stick in the forest’ rule, but don’t abuse the rule. When saying no there’s no issue. When it’s a plot-relevant NPC or someone important like a healer, please let me roll for success before adding them to your party.]

Sir Isaac smiles at Finn and then turns away, walking westward to the bandit den.
Narrator

Character Info
As you walk out of the village, the people follow you to the outreach. Stopping where the houses make way for the fields, the crowd stops to watch your form grow smaller and smaller.

Walking the dirt path, you wander a few minutes until you can no longer feel the gazes of the people and the wind no longer carries their whispers. The village still within sight but growing distant on the horizon, you continue on.

Then, suddenly, you hear some rustling from the bushes and an arrow whizzes just barely past your head. You hear a voice curse like a sailor, certainly not pleased that they just lost their element of surprise to a stray shot.

Three men rise up from the bushes. The first one a mid-twenties lad wielding a cudgel, with a man of roughly the same age but a lot less years of experience and hardships in his face and a young boy who can’t be older than sixteen.

The guy in front walks out of the bushes, raising his cudgel and letting it fall into his left hand again and again as an intimidating look. The lad behind him, still holding the simple hunting bow and with two arrows tucked under his belt, remains standing in the bushes without as much as attempting to grab another arrow. The young boy next to him is clutching a dagger probably nicked from a farm, sloppily sharpened with a grindstone to be sharp yet scratched and wicked.

Examining them further, it’s easy to see that none of the three is wearing any armour. They sport simple cloth that makes them look no different from the villagers. The cudgel guy’s clothes are dirty from months of wear, the clothes of the other two stained with dirt from crouching in the bushes but otherwise not layered with filth.

If you’d have to guess, bow and knife have a wife or mother to wash their clothes. Villagers, perhaps?

“So, yer the bloke that we saw enter the village, eh?” Cudgel says. “Looking fancy, you do. Your purse must be filled to the brim with silver, it is. But donna worry, I’ll help you with that little problem.”

“And don’t bother drawing that fancy sword of yours, I’ll take it sheath and all.” He says, licking his lips while looking at your blade. “No use fighting, it’s three against one. Don’t let the shoddy shooting fool you either, you won’t be so lucky next time.”

Cudgel looks over his shoulder. “Now you better show that you’ve got what it takes to be one of us, lads. If you can’t, I’ll take care of you myself.”

After that threat to his companions, he turns back to you. “Now, hand it over and we’ll only hurt you a bit.”

[Scout bandits, 3. CR Easy.]

[Tutorial: The CR, or Challenge Rating, refers to the difficulty that your character should have beating these guys. The guidelines, amount of posts and such can be found in my profile or OOC thread. With Easy for example, full god-mode is allowed and you can do whatever.]

Hello there,

I

am the Narrator.

For I,

I am the Narrator.
Sir Isaac

Character Info
Sir Isaac laughs. “Turn over my sword to the likes of you? Preposterous! You can’t even properly wield that glorified club. A knight’s blade would be no more useful in the incapable hands of one such as yourself.”

Cudgel sneers, running at Sir Isaac while preparing to strike with a wild swipe. Sir Isaac rolls his eyes, the man’s defences being left so wide open that he didn’t even need to counter.

“If that’s the fate you’ve chosen, hoodlum, then so be it.” Isaac says.

Placing his right hand on the blade, he waits another half-second and then draws it quickly. The same motion that unsheathes his blade slices through Cudgel’s neck. Isaac takes a step to the side to evade the raw body slam of the dead man walking, preventing his armour getting sullied with blood.

The bandit falls down and a pool of blood immediately starts to form under him. Sir Isaac ignores him, he’s not getting up. He instead looks at the other two with a stern expression.

The young boy points the knife at Isaac, holding it with both hands and the blade shaking. Hunting bow quickly springs to life, his right hand quickly grasping at his waist to find one of his arrows. He quickly pulls it, only for the tip to get stuck behind his belt. He pulls it a few more times, an act only resulting in a tear forming in the leather.

Sir Isaac sighs. These were but kids, either lured by sweet words of wealth or threatened with violence. Killing them wouldn’t be right.

“Put down your weapons, children. I am Sir Knight Isaac the Second, you would throw away your life by facing me, and nothing more.” Sir Isaac says. “Tell me where I can find the bandits and any other piece of information that you know of them, and then return home. Apologise to your parents and to the village for aiding these hoodlums, and hope that they’ll forgive you.”

[Tutorial: Please play your alignment and character description. If you're Lawful Good and actually act like it, I can throw situations your way that will reward such behaviour. A more predictable PC is an adventure easier made memorable and awesome.]