Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Corval Basin > Plains of Bohar > The Job [P/R]
Nymph

Character Info
Name: Nymphaea Rose
Alignment: CN
Race: Rosenite/Demon
Class: Demon Hunter
Silver: 1398
“My lady please we have this demon that is terrorizing our village. He takes our children! We've found their body parts. You are The Mother surely you can help us,” a man in about his mid thirties was pleading to the Mother Goddess. The redhead looked towards him and nodded a bit.

“I will help but I will send someone who knows a bit more about demons then myself.” The Mother snapped her fingers and a clergy member came over to her. “Retrieve Nymphaea for me would you?” The clergy bowed and went to go find the young half demon. The burnette growled a bit and was busy trying to train in one of the many room. She was frustrated with the wall she had hit. The power difference between her and her father was still great.

“Miss Nymph, your aunt wants you for a job.” Sheathing her sword and dagger Nymphaea made her way to the main room and listened to the details of the job. Sooner then later she was off with the man.

“Can you really solve this problem better then the Goddess?”

“She's not going because she would wreck the earth around with her pinky. This is far below her. Lets just say between the rest of them and me have a clear difference. We'll leave it at that.” Her brown eyes flickered up to the man and he seemed disturbed by the blood lust there.

Once they got to the village the man presented Nymphaea in front of what appeared to be a council. “We also hired a second option since we had no idea if the goddess was going to respond.” It was an older woman this time.

“Never doubt my aunt. She always seems to do whatever she wants.” Nymphaea said it with a smile as she sat down and waited for this mysterious person to show up. “I'll work with this person if I must. I won't let your coin go to waste. My mother raised me better than that.” She closed her eyes and waited patiently. She could feel a shadow looming over the village at least that's how she seen it. She could feel the demon. He could feel her too.

Cole

Character Info
Name: Cole Cocidius
Alignment: TN
Race: Human - Wraith Fused
Silver: 1200
Teeth clenched together in annoyance at the news that another hunter had been hired for the contract that had already been bid on and won.  Being a demon hunter meant that money was to be made in sporadic bursts when the jobs came in.  When a job like this one came in, Cole was ready and able to take it on in a heartbeat.  The entire horseback ride to the small village was full of self-mutterings and groaning about the possibility of having to share the bounty.

Stark white hair reflected the afternoon sun brightly as he got closer to the village.  Beneath his mid-waist length, red overcoat was a tight black sleeveless shirt that showed the definition of his sculpted muscles.  A well-maintained bow was carried over his shoulder and across his chest along with a full quiver.  At each hip were sharp daggers that were not the normal daggers.  Occasionally he passed some other travelers that could not help but stare at his appearance; Cole paid no mind.  It was the usual reaction.

When he did make it to the village, Cole decided to take his stallion to the stables first and get him settled.  Once that was handled, the hunter carried his bag towards the town hall that was mentioned to him where the council would be.  Entering the building, he realized how small the place really was and how serious the situation was to them with the crowd that had gathered.

An older gentleman rushed up to the tall hunter when hands grasped together in desperation and relief.  Cole smiled reassuringly, since he was the gentleman that originally came to him for the job.  “I apologize for the short delay, but I needed to resupply.”  A quick nod of understanding was the response he got before being directed to the large table. 

Green eyes scanned the group until they fell upon a young woman who did not look like the rest.  Just from the way she held herself, Cole was quite certain she was the other hunter hired for the job.  Was it really that desperate of a situation to need two?  The white haired man grunted, knowing that whatever it was he could handle it on his own and did not need any backup.  “So, it seems that both are here.  Please give us the information on what is going on, and what it is you need.” 

Cole liked to waste no time when it came to his work.  The sooner he could get started, the sooner he could get paid and leave.  

Nymph

Character Info
Nymph's brown eyes looked up at the sound of a new voice. It was the other hunter. He wouldn't be too much of a problem to work with not once she used herself as bait. Her arms clasped around her sword more as it hummed softly to her. It was almost trying to bring a dark secret out into the world. Not that it was too much of a secret, Nymph just did not like it. She had been raised from an early age knowing what she was. Knowing the betrayal that her father had lead her mother into. The demon Yaeger had tried to eat a pregnant woman but he failed to realize just how powerful the mother had been. Her hands gripped harder around the sword.

Her head snapped up as she looked at them. “It's not just a simple case of demon slaying is it? This demon is pissed.” The room looked at awe towards the girl who had been silent. “I could point out a number of different things that could lead to this. You disturbed its nest. You hired a young hunter to try to get rid of it. You may have even accidentally unsealed it. Whatever you did its pissed and it wants your young.” Nymph stood up and brushed her butt off. “So speak. Why is it killing your children?”

Her brown eyes were drilling into every single one of them until the man who hired her aunt spoke up. “It was an accident. We did not realize a demon nest was even remotely near by. We started to till the fields and we went farther then usual. We must have disturbed it.” Nymph banged the hilt of her sword against her shoulder as she thought about it all.

“He is a big one.” Nymph's words sent chills down the villagers' spines as she looked around. “Are you going to be able to handle it?” Now her eyes settled on the new hunter who showed up. For a split second a shadow lashed out and knocked Nymph into a building. “Fuck..” She said it with an utter displeased tone but not one that was hurt. She had something jutting out of her side but she pulled it out and threw it off to the side of her. “Didn't realize we were throwing warning shots already.”

There was a smile on her face. “We're dealing with a shadow demon. They are supposedly up there in the ranks. I thought I smelled something familiar around these parts.” She got out a simple cloth and cleaned her waist up. The wound had already healed. “We need to start preparing. Once night hits things are going to get ugly.” She threw the cloth at her new companion and gave him a smile. “You look seasoned ever dealt with a shadow demon before?”

Cole

Character Info
Brows furrowed slightly as the scent came to his nose.  Gaze never shifted from the village leaders as he waited for their intel.  If he had changed his sight line, it would have been to the sword that remained sheathed in the young woman’s hands.  He could hear the slight shift of her flesh as she clenched the blade closer to her.  It was not a normal sword; his blood began to hum making a buzzing sound go off in his ears.  Cole’s jawline tensed as he pushed the feeling aside and attempted to focus on the task ahead of him.

“A pissed off demon will add to the complexity of the job,” he mentioned merely to himself.  The white haired until turned his green eyes towards the girl as she explained how they could have accomplished such a thing.  There seemed to be quite a bit of insider information that she had, and that set off an alarm of caution in Cole’s mind.  Instead of adding to the conversation, the hunter decided to absorb what was going on about him.  He had always been taught the importance of observation before action.  If action came too soon, it would mean assured death. 

“Demon nest,” he repeated. His attention quickly turned to the woman who asked him the question.  Little time went by before an awful stench filled Cole’s nostrils.  It had a heavier feel to it, and with quick reflexes his body shifted on his heels to twist his body in a spin and away from the black tendril that attempted to take him off his feet.  The huntress had not been so lucky.  Slight body was sent flying through the air and into a nearby wall.  Duel blades were held in each hand that looked as if they were smaller curved swords.  One was black, while the other one was white.  “Get into cover now!  Do not show yourselves until you are called for by either one of us.”

The people of the village scattered with haste in hopes that they would not be the next target since they did not have the same capabilities to dodge or heal as their saviors.  White blonde head turned towards the now healing (which was a little shocking yet convenient for a field partner).  Cranium tilted to the side in curiosity and interest.  “I guess you can say that,” he replied to her question.

The cloth was caught with the tip of his white blade as he looked it over.  “The shadowed ones are sort of my specialty.”  Cole sheathed his blades and walked over to his rucksack to pull out a small jar full of red dust.  Closing the distance between them, he handed it over to her.  “That will help us draw it out tonight.  We can get it to go where we want, but it will not last long.”  Green eyes looked down at her, wondering how she would take such a concoction.  “What is your name?  They never mentioned to me before.  I am Cole.”

Nymph

Character Info
Nymph held her sword close never letting it even so much as slip a little. Even in pain she would not let the thing go. The brunette stared at the hunter as he spoke. “Awesome.. You are going to be loved.” She took a moment to look down at her sword and rolled her eyes at it. She took the bottle and the smell hit her nose first.

Her brown eyes had a hint of red to them but she quickly threw it back at him but enough for him to be able to catch it. “Keep that to yourself please.” Her brown eyes looked back up at him now completely normal. She gave him a smile now that the bottle was away from her. “Nymph or as my mother would say Nymphaea. I just like Nymph though. Shorter easier to remember and I don't need to correct people who say it wrong.” 

Her sword started to shake and she sighed. “I wondering if that bottle was going to wake you up.” The sword popped a little bit out of the sheath and a yawn could be heard. “Go back to sleep old man.”

“Be nice Nymphaea,” the voice sent shivers down her spine. A demonic aura flowed from the sword as it let out a purple glow.

“Can you stop that? Are you trying to get me killed?” She held up the sword and stared at it. “On more then one front here.” She looked over at Cole and sighed. “This is Yaeger. He's a shadow demon in a sword.”

“Stuck in a sword. If you are going to tell the truth tell the whole truth.”

“And… I'm done.” She slammed the sword shut into its sheath and looked at Cole with a laugh, “It's a long story. I'm not really comfortable telling a stranger about my life.”

It was at that moment that what appeared like blood appeared on the sides of all the houses. The word 'Tainted' over and over again. “Oh do not start that bullshit with me.” Nymphaea put her hand on her hip and thought about it. “Yaeger, did you tell it?”

“Say please and maybe I'll tell you.”

“I swear to gods I will soak you in holy water all day tomorrow.” A threat left her lips as she looked down at the sword.

“Fine, I did not tell him. This is your first shadow demon but we can tell our own you know. Auras do that and child your aura is very bright to us. In other words…”

“Tainted,” she sighed a bit. “It's not the first time a demon has called me that, though it has never been this fast before.” She gripped the sword. “Alright Cole let me introduce you properly. Yaeger this is Cole. Don't listen to just anything Yaeger says he has a tendency to fuck with people. If he does just spray him with holy water or something.”

“You are a very mean daughter.”

“And you are crude father who tried to kill his daughter who was still in her mother's womb. Let's not get into this here. I actually need you today.”

“Ahh, the words a father waits a lifetime for.”

Nymph blushed a bit. “Shut up.” She dropped the sheath and pulled the sword out fully. It's presence did not flood the area as before. Looking over to Cole she had panic written in her eyes. “So plan now. We need one.”

Cole

Character Info
It was a quick reaction the flit across her features, but Cole had caught it.  There was a reaction from his companion to the red dust.  Slightly he turned his head to the side, all the while keeping his attention on the girl.  The hint of red in her orbs were quite telling and also explained how she was able to heal quickly.  Jar landed back in his possession quickly.  With a nod, Cole stashed it in one of his side pouches that were attached to his belt.  “Good to meet you, Nymph.” 

Not much else could be conversed since the inanimate object (or so Cole had assumed) decided to join the conversation.  The demon hunter had seen much in his life span, but a talking demon sword was not one of them.  ‘I will have to report this to the Council,’ he mentally noted to himself.  They would most certainly be interested in such an object.  “Old man?”  Cole was not one to normally interject himself, but the situation slash conversation was getting too confusing for him. 

White brows both lifted and emerald eyes wide with confusion and slight curiosity, but he did not press.  Eyes moved back and forth between the girl and her father slash sword.  It was a bitter argument that only gave Cole a headache.  At the introduction, the demon hunter made no inclination he was going to say anything to the demon sword.  ‘The Council would never know what to do with this one,’ he amended his previous thought.

Shaking his head as if to get the last few minutes out, he turned towards the darkening streets.  The word ‘tainted’ was written repeatedly across the homes of the village.  He took a deep breath and closed his eyes.  Senses were pushed out from himself to take in their surroundings in full.  “Keep your father quiet, and hold your nose if you need to.  I am going to lure this thing out.  Keep calm, and feet planted firmly.”  Nymph was the perfect bait since the demon was already deciding to target her with taunting words.  “It will come for you.” 

Cole reached into his pouch and pulled out a small pinch of the red powder.  He threw it up into the air, the fading sunlight glinted off the flecks as it settled midair just hoovering.  The hunter smirked as he knew that no demon could resist the smell of the powder.  “Do not inhale it.”  With flicks of his wrist, his dual blades were drawn once more.  Powerful kicks against the ground sent the man flying backwards to hide beside one of the buildings.  All they had to do was wait for the beast to show itself, and then they could strike.

Nymph

Character Info
Nymph and the sword were completely absorbed in each other it was amazing she was able to pay attention to her surroundings as she looked over at Cole finally. The word tainted made her angry but she shook her head to him. “I will do it. We'll see if it effects me too much.” She nodded a bit. “I'm use to it once they figure out I'm a half demon. Doesn't take much with ol' big mouth here.” She shut the sword down so he couldn't say anything.

She watched as he threw the powder up in the air. She immediately moved to hold her breath as listened for the demon. Nymph was waiting without her sword drawn of all things. Her eyes got big for a moment as a shadow moved she was quick as she threw up a shadow wall in its wall. A shriek went out and she smile.

This was their playground. It moved fast and it caught her from behind. She gasp and inhaled the red dust. It burned her for a moment as she was thrown into the building behind her again. “I'm getting real sick of that.” Her eyes flashed that red as she tilted her head.

Taking out her sword she watched it made its way to try and corner her. She made a barrier around them of fire and watched as it materialized finally. It had a gruesome twisted shape to it. “Tainted. YOU ARE TAINTED.”

“Yeah tell me something I don't know.” She yelled before charging it and slicing off its right arm. She was fast into her pouch and opened up a miscellaneous bottle. Tossing the clear liquid the arm began to burn away in holy fire. She hit the other part where the demon's arm had been attached. “Hey it won't grow back now so you can join at any time.” She yelled back to her companion before being slashed at by one pissed off demon.

She blocked it with Yaeger but she was still only a half demon as the demon appeared to have the upper edge in strength over her even though she had gotten rid of one of its arms.

Cole

Character Info
He frowned as he saw the anger written across her face.  Cole could tell that it had nothing to do with the physical attack, but the mental one was obviously having an effect on her.  Being a half demon was a life spent in limbo.  Humans usually wanted nothing to do with them; the term cursed came across a lot in regards to them.  Demons did not like their bloodlines being broken with the taint of human blood.  It was a common thing, actually for the hunter to see.  Cole could slightly relate to her, but his blood was born purely human.  The darkness that flowed through his veins was part of ritual to allow him access to more strength.  His ‘taint’ was designed, and made him even more deadly. 

An uncharacteristic smile came across his face as he watched her agree to the pull.  His powder was powerful, and difficult to resist.  More so, the fact that she was willing to be the final bait was impressive. 

Hiding besides the building, he waited quietly with his faithful blades.  Emerald orbs focused on the demon that attacked the young huntress.  Her vision had changed to the same color as the powder he had thrown up in the air.  Still, as she unsheathed her sword, Cole made no move to come forth.  Fire surrounded her in a protective barrier, but also as a wall to stop any escape. 

The battle had begun.

She knew to use holy fire to deal with the damned.  I guess she knows more than I first thought.  The hunter chuckled to himself softly before launching himself in a blur towards the demon.  Dueling blades slashed through the air with a ferocity rarely seen.  His face remained calm and straight as he brought the blades down simultaneously through the creature’s lower limbs.  The equivalent of screaming came from the beast between the wounds given by Nymph and that of Cole.  “Burn the other parts,” he instructed as he continued his attack on the shadow beast. 

“You have desecrated this land, and that will not be tolerated.  Those of us with the blessing from on high, we will cleanse you from this place.  In the name of the Light, I purify you.”  Blades were placed together, and as they split a part there was a spark of blue shadow that struck at the shadow demon.  Fear was written across the monster’s face, and it pushed itself through the fire boundary with a scream of pain.  The rate that it attempted to escape was much reduced compared to how it was attacking before.  Cole quickly pursued, not wanting this to drag out much further.  The longer he spent around the demon, the more he could feel his blood reacting to his presence.  This needs to be over now.

Nymph! I need you to cut off his escape route and attack him at the same time as me.  I need to cut him with my purification blades.

Nymph

Character Info
The battle had begun and while Nymph wanted to help him more. She wasn't so sure he had seen exactly what she did. For a moment she focused and caught the demon's arm with Yaeger. Her brown eyes were staring up into those greedy dark eyes. She could see her reflection, she reminded herself that she wasn't just Yaeger's daughter but she was Lily's. Lily was the Queen of Light. The Queen of the Yellow Court. For that reason alone was she able to kill all things unholy.

Nymph was her daughter. She may have had darkness running through her blood but she knew that deep down she could muster the same magic. Nodding to Cole she watched as he prepared himself. She did as well. "My blood is not my father's. My blood is my mother's. Lily of the Rosenites who walks with holy light. I refuse to be placed with just lowly demons." She hissed as she threw her hand onto the demon. A holy light filled the area but the scent of her flesh burned.

Looks like being half Demon and using such a pure spell was enough. The Holy light made both of them scream but Nymph bit her lip. "Cole if you are going to do something, NOW WOULD BE THE TIME." She barked at him she held both herself and the demon in the zone. It was powerful.  She could feel her mother underneath all that darkness but she couldn't keep it for long.

As soon as Cole was done she fell down. Her skin charred in various places. She winced and closed her eyes for a few moments. These wouldn't heal until the sun came up.

Cole

Character Info
The hunt needed to end, and it needed to end immediately.  There was something going on with his fellow hunter, and he was not sure it would be good for their cause.  He could hear her screams melding in with the screams of their assailant.  A deep frown marked his face, but Cole was not going to think on it all right then.  The demon had to be killed and the girl had to be brought clear of the field. 

His blades were brought together once again to be side by side.  Black blade and white blade made a blue shadow form between them.  One more time he would try to cleanse the beast from the face of the earth.  “Do not move, Nymph.  If you do, I will hit you as well.”  At that point, he was not confident that the purification would not possibly kill her as well since she was a half demon.

Quick movements forward, he rushed the shadow demon.  “You who have desecrated this land will be purified.  We cleanse you from this place.  In the name of the Light, I purify you.”  With a quick slash in a forward motion, the blue shadow spark cut the demon in half.  Black shadows licked the air and surrounded the girl until finally it disappeared.  Cole remained in a prepared stance with blades held tightly in his grasp.  It was not until the air felt light once again to breathe that he relaxed his grip.

Swiftly he sheathed his blades in order to go to his new companion’s side.  The smell of charred flesh filled his nose.  He kneeled behind her in order to have her rest against his chest for support.  The demon hunter was careful as he lifted one of her blackened hands within his to exam the extent of her damage.  “You used a holy spell when you are half demon?  Are you insane?!”  With his free hand, he reached into a pouch to take out a strong smelling salve.  He had seen her healing powers, but the pain had to be excruciating.  “You are lucky this is not any worse than it is.  What were you thinking?  You could have gotten yourself killed.”  His words had bite to them, but underneath it was a tone of concern. 

Cole delicately began to cover her charred flesh with the salve in order to dull the pain.  The demon hunter was convinced now that she had not been quite prepared for such a battle, or that she had ever been in one before like this.  White brows knit together in concern…though he was not sure when he first began to worry about the girl.  Once he was satisfied with the application, he gathered her up in his arms and stood up.  “Do you have a horse that you came here on?  Tell me where you need to go, and I will take you there.  Is this all the gear that you brought?”  His green eyes looked down at the sword, that apparently was her father when he talked about her gear.  The last thing the villagers would want was an injured half demon in their town.  Cole was used to the ‘get the job done and get out’ reaction.  They would be grateful for the span of ten minutes, and then want to be left alone once more.  It was good that they had paid him in advance for the job.

He cradled her body against his chest as he held her firmly.  All he could hope for now as that her demon half would heal her wounds.