Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Corval Basin > Laeto Rainforest > A Song of Water and Fire [P/R]
Calanthe

Character Info
Name: Calanthe Rose
Alignment: TG
Race: Rosenite
Class: Bard
Silver: 1116
They were in Laeto for a job. It had always been a job that took them wherever they went. They saw vast places but normally only for the time span that it took to complete the job. Mordecai was very good so normally it took only a day or so before they moved on to the next location.

Cala was humming softly as she picked through the water vegetation at the waterfall’s basin. She had her skirt tied up short on her and her long red hair into a braid wrapped around the crown of her head. A sturdy little basket was on her hip for her to use for the plants she pulled. She did after all know basic medical treatments and it never hurt to have something ready. The water went up to her knees as she pushed through.

Looking over at their camp she made a judgment on their food that had been cooking. “Mordecai! Dinner is ready!” She even had a clothes line set up with their clothes washed and drying. It wasn’t every day they got the chance to do maintenance on things and she didn’t mind doing it while Mordecai worked. She knew he was close by and not in any danger. The job had been completed but for now, they were staying put so they could finish up their laundry list of things to make traveling easy.

Making her way to the short she put the basket down next to the fire and pulled out their bowls. He should have been starving from how he was working himself. The bard had made sure to make the stew extra hearty and there were lots for them to eat and enjoy.

It had been a long journey for them which spoke loudly when one noticed there was only one larger sleeping roll the two shared. She poured some juice that she had managed to make from the forest fruits and put the cups on a makeshift table.

Seeds of eulogy to sow along with dreams
Fill the need that can leave us grieving alone

As you hear me
As you do
As you need me
Making true, what we knew would come all along
OOC: Brittlez
Mordecai

Character Info
Name: Mordecai
Alignment: CN
Race: Half Demon
Class: Demon Hunter
Silver: 1614
Mordecai had already gathered up some firewood to throw into the flames before it got too dark and was sitting by the campfire when he heard Calanthe call for him. While initially, he had wished for her to not accompany him in his travels, he couldn’t deny that she was helpful to have around. Being a lone wolf, he was used to being on the roads on his own and didn’t have to worry about another’s safety. It was a bit of a situation when she had joined him, but at the very least she knew how to protect herself and normally the jobs didn’t take too long or were difficult. A small cult to handle here, a lesser demon infestation there; the jobs were done quickly and off they went to the next. That’s been the life they had adapted to for what was going on for months. He had to admit that he underestimated her, but it wasn’t the only reason why he wasn’t willing to let her come with him at first.

Heading over to the table, Mordecai removed his coat and felt the added weight removed as though it was a blessing. “Shouldn’t need to keep the fire going for too long, seems like it will be a warm night”, he spoke as he took the cup of juice and took a quick few sips. “It helps that the jobs been going by pretty quick. Should be arriving in the nearest town by tomorrow afternoon. We can rest there for a bit until another one picks up.” He couldn’t recall the last time that either of them slept in an actual bed, but he knew that at least one of them would be looking forward to it. In the meantime, he helped Calanthe set up the table before they started to eat.

She was…a curious one; a daughter to a goddess, royalty by blood right and yet here she was, accompanying someone that lacked all of that and was a bastard to a demon yet she felt comfortable here. She didn’t have to speak of it, it could be easily read on her face. To that end, he didn’t understand but at the same time, he didn’t bother to entertain the idea. She was a grown adult and could make whatever decisions she wanted.

Calanthe

Character Info
“No, I agree… It’s way too humid.” She gave him a smile. It would be nice to stop in town. “A real bed for once? It’s been months.” She couldn’t deny that he wasn’t comfortable though. They hadn’t spoken much of whatever it was they had going on. It was naturally happening and she didn’t want to ruin it too much. Cala thought of it as innocent since they had yet to do much but snuggle under the stars.

They sat down to eat their meal and she smirked up at him. “Mordecai? Will you tell me more about yourself? I’ve spent months entertaining all of YOUR questions. It’s time for you to answer some of mine.” She swallowed some soup and thought about it. “Like… What’s up with you and your father. I understand Dante… but what did Xunatar do?” She tilted her head.

“How did you become a demon hunter?” She wanted to know what made him tick and it was becoming obviously clear. “What was it like when you were growing up?” The world was obviously very different when Mordecai was young compared to her. She was so curious but she also hoped that he was comfortable answering her.

As you hear me
As you do
As you need me
Mordecai

Character Info
Everything seemed to be going well, they ate as usual and before long they’d probably sit by the fire and then retire for the night. He fed heartily on the stew she had prepared when she asked him about himself, a topic that he’d been straying from since they had started traveling together. Glancing up to her, Mordecai thought for a good while before he stopped eating. “Guess there’s no harm.” Taking a long, deep sigh, the demon hunter pushed his bowl away and leaned onto the table with his elbows plopped on top. “Dante’s just an annoyance to anyone. But you can trust him at least. My father isn’t one that can be trusted without keeping at least one eye on him. He didn’t have us, his children, out of the kindness of his heart. Like anything else, we were to be tools for his own goals.”

“Colden, your cousin, as well as Steele and Dante are among those that he needed. Each of them carries a deadly sin within them, and my sisters… you haven’t met yet. Four of them also are carriers. Do you know what happened to the rest of us?” His eyes latched onto hers, knowing that she wouldn’t know the fate of those that didn’t fit that category. “If they are lucky, they are like me, left to our own devices and he doesn’t contact us unless he wants something. Or if you are stupid like one of my older brothers, then you get locked up in a tomb in his vault. And I’m not talking like one or two siblings. Hell, not even like ten or twenty. Think…hundreds, if not thousands.” Even he couldn’t figure out the exact number of spawn that Xunatar had. Likely there were some that were under the radar from even the former god.

The second question was met with even more hesitance but he eventually spoke up. “A certain locked up brother was the main reason. He started something stupid and thought it was wise to entice a war. Someone….close to me was a casualty in that mess. I ended it.” Those last few words were met with a bitter tone. Because of that fool, he had lost someone that was the only person that held his heart. “I hunt those that threaten the order of this world, that hurt the innocent for no reason other than their pleasure. My siblings are trouble, but I won’t slay them. If they get out of hand, then I’ll make sure that they learn. That brother of mine that cost me dearly would have been killed had my father not had the heart to just lock him away.”

Steele

Character Info
Name: Steele Norcross
Race: Lycantrope/Demon
Class: Warlord
Silver: 1011
While locating one of his pain in the ass brothers was essentially beyond their power, Steele was sent out to locate another that could potentially track and capture Sol. Who else but the very person that had quelled him in the first place so many moons ago? Xunatar knew this as well, though he was hardly happy with the revelation, not that he would be the only one. Based on what some of Cala’s family have told him since they had last heard from her, they were around the rainfall area. That would be confirmed with some of the locals of the region he spoke to and thankful by nightfall he had somewhat of an idea on where they were at.

Mordecai was barely sleeping when he felt the presence of another and rose from the sleeping bag, plopped on his elbows and looked annoyed at the shadows. “Alright, step out of there. I know you’re here.” He didn’t mask his annoyance as he saw a large wolf come prowling towards them. “Wonderful, the hell are you doing here, Steele?”

He rose up, wearing nothing more than his trousers, arms folded against his chest. “Sorry for disturbing your sleep, but I have news. Father…”

“Is dead?”, he asked casually. “If not, then I don’t need to hear…”

“It’s Sol. He’s back”

Mordecai groaned and slapped his forehead, “I told the old man to kill that bastard. What, he wants me to clean up his mess again? No thanks. I already had enough of that hot head.”

The wolf looked grimly at his brother, “He’s with Undine, one of the Black Court’s daughters.”

“Rosenites have a knack for our blood, terrible taste really. Again, what does that have to do with me?” Between his blockheaded older brother and his senseless father, Mordecai was going more agitated by the second. He had no business with either one of those fools and yet they sought to drag him back into this nonsense? To hell with their bullshit war.

“We need to locate him. We had him under surveillance until they were able to sever the ties.”

“Ask his mother where he is. You know Kali always keeps tabs on her sweet baby boy.”

Steele rolled his eyes, “She and Father aren’t really on speaking terms. Even you know that. Look, it was I that proposed this and you do owe me one.”

“Fine, damn it. After this, no more favors or anything.” He grumbled over to a tree and headbutted it several times. He didn’t need to deal with Sol, not now. But it couldn’t be helped- he did owe Steele a huge favor for saving his neck. And he was the type to keep his promises, no matter what.

He looked over to where Cala laid, “Just one thing then. Take her back to Sularia. She doesn’t need to get caught up in this crap.”

Calanthe

Character Info
They spent the remainder of their evening talking about him and his family. He knew a lot about hers already but she was definitely curious about his own. The bard was enthralled with him. He had an interesting story but she knew not to pry too far into his past. Somethings were better off left there after all.

Cala was under the blankets of their bedroll as she snuggled up to his chest. Her arms were delicately around his waist as she slept soundly. This was how they had slept for a long time. It was peaceful. That was until Mordecai sprung up. She poked her head out of the blankets towards Steele who she had only ever met once before.

She could hear the annoyance in Mordecai’s voice as she held the blankets to her. This sounded like a serious thing. “Undine?” The color drained from her face. “No! You shouldn’t go alone.” Cala began to protest towards Mordecai. “Undine is the reason why Arri is missing its coastline! She is a very volatile sea demoness. You can’t go by yourself.”

Calanthe knew that he would be persistent with her. “At least take someone with you!” She got out of the bedroll and shouted towards Mordecai. “Please…” She had tears at the corner of her eyes. “Everything you’ve told me about Sol makes him terrible but Undine… I know her and she is just as bad Mordecai.”

She looked at Steele. “You wouldn’t really let him go by himself, would you? Even if he is capable I worry.” Her gold eyes looked up at Mordecai. "… Please, just be careful." She knew she wouldn't win an argument against Mordecai and knew ultimately she would end up back in Sularia.

As you hear me
As you do
As you need me
Mordecai

Character Info
When Calanthe woke up, he knew it was going to be trouble. He knew that she would fight him ongoing by himself if she had a say. Meanwhile, Steele looked surprised to see her pop out of the place that Mordecai was sleeping at and looked to him. “Guess you were right- our men seek out their company all right.”

“Shut up, mutt face. You know nothing happened here.” Steele would have argued, but now wasn’t the time. Mordecai looked to Cala and shrugged. “Sea demon, fire demon, little difference. She’s as volatile as much as Sol is impulsive. So, I will be fighting two idiots if needed. Lovely.” He started to go through his bags and withdrew a map. “This wouldn’t be the first time I would be outnumbered. Been doing this a long time and I know that demons, for the most part, don’t fight fair.” He didn’t care if he had to deal with the both of them, though if this Undine was smart, she would butt out of the conflict.

Despite this, he looked to Cala, on the verge of tears and sighed, “And that’s why I want you to go home. It’s much too dangerous for you this time. Steele’s good in combat, but with those two, he’s outmatched by Sol’s experience alone. And the others aren’t strong enough either. So it has to be me. The old man knows this too, which is why he must have approved of this, correct?”

Steele nodded slowly, and his brother unrolled the map and asked Steele to come over.

“So. they been to Abed, then trailed up the mainland all the way north…” He immediately crossed out areas he was certain that they wouldn’t be in and thought of something. “Being a sea demon, she has to be close to water and Sol isn’t one to stay at someplace twice if hiding.” He confirmed his findings with him before his eyes hit the island city known as Kurayo. “They have to be there then, I’ll set out in the morning. As for her…” He tucked the map away and slumped against the tree. “Make sure to come back and take her in the morning. No need to pack this late.”

“Right.” The wolf looked to his cousin in law, “I’ll be back first thing in the morning.” And with that, he was off, leaving the two to their own business.

“Alright, let me have it”, Mordecai spoke after a good bit. He knew that she wouldn’t be pleased with all with any of this. But it had to be done. He had already lost someone once because of this mess, he didn’t…

Calanthe

Character Info
Calanthe sat after Steele had left. She sat by the remnants of the fire that they had once enjoyed conversation by. She was restringing her lyre. Every once in a while there was a crude sound that left as if she was mad at Mordecai. Though her gentle face wouldn’t speak or show it. Her heart, on the other hand, came through the sound of the lyre as she worked on it.

“Let you have it?” Her eyes looked up at Mordecai from her seat. “Exactly what am I supposed to tell you Cai?” Another hard sound from the lyre as she looked away from him. Her eyes were sad. “You don’t tend to listen to me once you get your mind made up. Fighting with you about it doesn’t seem like a worthy energy waster.”

Another off key string noise.

“Am I supposed to tell you that I love you and that I wish you would take me with you.” Her voice was soft and she shook her head. “No, that would only make you leave me here faster. Even if I promised to keep out of the way you wouldn’t let me go. You barely let me come with you the first time.” Gold eyes turned back up to him.

“What would I have to say or do to even let you consider it? Hell, you won’t even touch me and it took so much to get us where we are now.” Mordecai moved slow and Cala was alright with it. But right now he was going off to fight something that terrified her. “Fighting and yelling at you does no good. And stubbornness hardly works on you either because you seemed seasoned to it.”

Her finger strummed down the lyre as it made a perfect sound. “So, what would you want me to say Mordecai.” She looked up at him fully for once during the conversation. “Because I am upset at you for sending me away.”

As you hear me
As you do
As you need me
Mordecai

Character Info
“You don’t understand…” He was guarding himself and at the same time, trying to get it through her head that he couldn’t have her there. Not in the middle of the crossfire that was sure to come. Sol wasn’t ever known to go down quietly and Kurayo would certainly become a battleground. That bastard didn’t care who got in the way or got hurt. He watched her messed with her lyre, and already he was regretting letting her know that he would leave. If he had been smarter he would have just up and left her. At least he was sure that she would likely hate him for it and perhaps move on, physically and emotionally.

But he still felt guilty, even more so when she voiced her feelings for him. His head hung back against the bark and looked high to the evening sky. Why were the fates tormenting him again? What had he done to deserve this punishment? “Do you have a deathwish? I’ve accepted that my blood is cursed and my life is worth two coins. You, on the other hand, aren’t expendable. You have a future, Calanthe.” His teeth ground together to keep him in check; it was something he hadn’t done in such a long time. Before Cala came into the picture, he didn’t need to worry about his feelings. But now? He had to keep that barrier up, or at least he thought.

“Cala…I’m not the one…” He wanted to push her away, both for her own good and so that he wouldn’t have to worry. He knew the danger of the situation and that was why he was doing what he was doing. But the further this went on, the more his stoic face was collapsing and his eyes, they were focused onto her.

“I know you are. I know I’m being an ass about it. But how could… He closed his green eyes banged his head softly backward. “How could I live with myself if I let the bastard take you away too? Do you think I’d be happy about this? Hell, I wasn’t planning on riding out to Kurayo and facing two psychos. I’d rather be here. With you.” Getting up, he moved over to Cala and sat in front of her. His eyes opened and showed a much soft glance onto her. “I…do love you.” With that, he pulled her closer and kissed her tenderly before pulling away. “Rather you be upset than dead. If anything happened to me, then at least you’d be alive.”

Calanthe

Character Info
A stubborn look met him before she went back to paying her lyre mind. She couldn’t understand if he wouldn’t tell her. She listened to his words and shook her head at him. Her future as far as she was concerned was with him.

Finally, the anger out of her eyes dropped as he came clean about how he felt. “I’d rather the man I love not go off by himself to meet two psychopaths. I would also like if the man I loved would have faith in me. I know Sol is dangerous and I know Undine is too but I’m not comfortable with letting you go. I’m not fragile. It was a mistake with the mercenaries but I can keep myself safe.”

The Rosenite kissed him back just as tenderly and smiled up at him. “Don’t worry so much about me Cai.” She wrapped her arms around his waist. “I have a lot more tricks up my sleeve than you know about. It’s just it was getting fixed that’s all. Second, I would be really pissed if you up and died on me and I would probably try to get revenge or something stupid… So let's not pretend like everything would be okay if you died because it wouldn’t be. Third, you are the person I’m meant to be with. I feel that strongly so if we could stop with the notion that I’ll be perfectly fine if you’re dead and I’m not.”

She lightly flicked his nose. Flinging herself at him she ended up knocking them down onto their bedroll. “Besides, you got a lot of other stuff to show me before you up and die… and I want that to be a long lengthy goal… Alright?” She kissed him again.

As you hear me
As you do
As you need me