Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Arri, The Desert Rose > Horae Island > Island of the Seasons [O]
Cymbel

Character Info
Name: Cymbel Belerian
Alignment: LG
Race: Fey
Class: Swordmage
Silver: 0
"Land ho!" The shout of the captain interrupted his thoughts as he felt the ship slow down. How long had it been since he dozed off? Looking up he saw the faint light of dawn breaking through the clouds as the storm had cleared. In the distance was a green speck that slowly grew larger the closer they came to it. Horae Island. "Rise and shine landlubbers, we're approaching the island!"  The captain hollered as the ship began to turn. Cymbel grabbed the side of the ship and hung on for dear life as to not be sent rolling down the deck.

A chilly breeze blasted by as they drew near to one of the many docking places for ships, marine and airborne. "We're here already? I thought the voyage would be longer." Cymbel pulled himself up as they docked at a port. "Aye, that it would've been–if it hadn't been for the winds at our backs! You look like first-time visitors to the island. What brings ye here?" The halfling sea captain hopped up onto an overturned crate and pulled out a smoking pipe. "Me? I'm here for sightseeing. I've never seen all of the four seasons at once–it must be quite a feat to live on this island." 

"That be true, lad. The island's split up into four areas, one fer each season. Terra and Venti are the best out of the lot, I'd say. Ignius is as hot as the nine circles of Infernos and Glaciem's as treacherous as 'tis freezing. Oh and don't get too close to the center of the island–ye'll run into the hydras. Nasty beasties with more heads to do ye in."

Oh wonderful…more dangerous wildlife. Cymbel grimaced as he heard the halfling's description. "I'll keep that in mind…" Once he was off the boat, he had to lean against a post to steady himself. Thankfully he hadn't become seasick, but his legs felt like they would go out from under him. He had boarded a galleon once when he came from Parvpora, but he was still more accustomed to stable ground.

"Fairies will promise you everything, but they always lie. Each and every one of them is a great and terrible beauty."
Vinsue

Character Info
Name: Vinsue
Race: Dragon
Class: healer/fighter
Silver: 171
Vinsue did not sleep at all that night though she tried to for a long time. About midnight she had gotten up and walled about the boat hoping it would tire her out but it did not. The call only grew stronger and she found herself at the front of the ship looking at the water. the cool breeze tossed her hair into her face but she did not seem bothered by it. she eventually sat down and got lost in thought.

She was awaken by the yelling of someone who had spotted the land. she stood up and grabbed the side of the boat as she looked around. she than walked back to where she left her friend. she got there as the morning call was announced and grabbed the rail. just in time to as the boat made a steep turn. once the boat leveled out she watched the captain come over and start talking. "I came to see the Island like him, yet it's more that something heir calls me." She said tan looked back at the water. 

She smiled at the way he reacted to the beasties description. they quickly got off the boat and onto stable ground. She walked to a pole and leaned a sense it as to let her friend have some time to get use to not being tossed about. She smiled at him cause it was a bit funny. her legs were quick to note the change and she had no problem with walking. Her background had more to do with it saying she has not been on a ship in years. and that one was a sky ship. 

qe versvesh vur nurti origato astahi vucot dout l'graic.
Cymbel

Character Info
Once Cymbel's legs decided to stop wobbling, he straightened himself and shaded his eyes looking ahead. The part of the island they were in was warm, but not dry and beyond the sandy beach was what looked like a meadow. "From what it looks like, we've landed on the Terra portion of the island. Do you see any bears? I remember the captain saying something about bears here." Personally he hoped they were hibernating, or somewhere else. He already was uncomfortable at the thought of hydras; he didn't want to deal with bears too.

"I suppose if we do come across them, I could always throw food while running away…" He still had those candied nuts from Endapano, and bears like honey didn't they? It probably wouldn't be enough to divert their attention unless he abandoned the whole bag but it was something to consider. "You said you felt compelled to come here, right? Let's find where that happens to be. It has to be in at least one of these areas." 

"Fairies will promise you everything, but they always lie. Each and every one of them is a great and terrible beauty."
Vinsue

Character Info
Bears would be no problem to her but seems her companion had a different opinion on them. a hydra can be a bit scary but bears were nothing. She was personally glad to be off of the joke they called a ship. "buddy that would do little for you. the best thing is to stand your ground, stand tall, and make lots of noise and no i do not see any bears." She said detecting his nerves. She knew what the captain said about different beasts living on the island was more to scar the lad but with her there was little to fear.

"Yea something is calling me, just with you being as worried about bears as you are I don't know if you should come the things that call me are usually in tricky spots to get to and often have some type of trouble close by but if you want to come i do not mind the company." she said than stood up and started walking. She truly was glad he wanted to come she just was unsure how he would react if they ran into a hydra or worse he seemed to only know how to change his appearance. 

Cymbel

Character Info
"…Well it was worth a shot. And personally I would rather stand my ground if it were higher than them." He was not known for his durability, and was far more likely to take damage being a soft-bodied mammal than Vinsue, who was twice the size of a bear in her reptilian form. Peering about, he was relieved that there were no ursine shapes in sight. "We should get going then. If we are on the Terra section, then Ignius should not be far off." He was reluctant to leave the region, as he found it to be quite comfortable. Cymbel drew his sword in advance, should the occasion arise to put it to use. 

Ahead beyond the meadow was a dense forest, and he saw a few tropical plants peeking out from beneath the canopy. If they hadn't been to Sularia first he wouldn't have been able to recognize them, and tucked the ends of his trousers into his boots to prevent unsavory critters from sneaking in. There were mostly butterflies here in the meadow, and the bubbling creeks were clear and clean. Although Vinsue was clearly the more martially capable of the two of them, he didn't want her to venture forth alone. First, he would likely become a sitting duck for beasts without help. And secondly, should she need his help he wanted to be there to assist in any way he could. It was dangerous to go alone, after all and those alone often were picked off first. The humidity in the air was increasing as they neared the dense jungle, and he was tempted to peel off a layer. He resisted, as he didn't want to expose himself to any flying insects out for blood. Now would have been a perfect time to use a flyswatter…

Vinsue

Character Info
Seeing he was dead set on coming she lead the way through the meadow towards the jungle as the call directed. She smiled as he brought out his sword. likely if anything wanted to attack it would not get close to tham before getting shocked. but seems he did not know that. it was much like a copious yet it was rather annoying when she decided to go against it. last time she was called she was cursed and was not wanting a repeat. seeing the mosques she let her skin turn to scales. it may look odd but it kept the bugs from biting and allowed her to absorb the sun and heat. 

she thought about the dream could this be a call to her death? no it was a larger dragon then her. was it relevant to her? it had to be and for some reason she knew it was foreseeing the future but that was a fearful thought. she was not liking the thoughts or the silence so she decided to try to start a conversation. "I know it's an odd question to ask saying we're still new to one another but what's your story? if you do not mind me asking. And what got you started on traveling?" She asked hoping it would change her thoughts as they traded through the jungle. 

She felt bad for her companion but he wanted to come. he must be dieing in this heat. 

Cymbel

Character Info
Cymbel carefully stepped through the vines and plants that grew thicker as they approached the tropical forest's center. Tucking his trousers into his boots had been a smart idea, as there was one less opening for the annoying flying bloodsuckers to enter. Eventually he had his hood partly pulled over his face with one hand leaving just enough space for his eyes. He waved his sword about when the mosquitoes attempted to get closer to them. In the muggy humidity, Vinsue started a conversation asking more about himself.

"Oh, more about me then? To be honest I don't think there's much that would be interesting. Argh–shoo!" Waving his arm again he continued after successfully swatting away another wave of the greedy insects. "That's better. Anyways, what was the question again? Oh, right. Well in short–I ran away from home. Couldn't stand living in the place anymore, so I left. I don't regret it, though I do regret not purchasing something to keep these pests from attempting to sting my flesh." The heat was awful, but at least they weren't in direct sunlight. The entire place felt like a giant steamer, and the air even smelled warm. The shade was thicker now, and sounds of creatures and birds he had never heard of croaked and shrieked from the canopy. He thought he caught a glimpse of a monkey in the branches once, but it was gone after he blinked. "Do you think we're getting closer? It's harder to walk through these vines and plants growing so close together. I wonder, when was the last time anyone set foot in this jungle?" 

Vinsue

Character Info
he simply ran away from home. pore thing she thought as she wondered what had caused him to do so but this was not the place to ask. She took a swig of her water and realised she was running out. She almost laughed at how annoyed with the bugs he was. "Were not far from the Ignius section." she said and continued on. 

after a bit she stopped. they were at the end of the jungle. a stream and herds of animals could easily be seen. she almost ran to the river and bent down to drink and stopped. something was not right about it. than she saw eyes disappear below the surface she barely stepped out of the way in time as a huge crocodile jumped out of the water. she hissed at it and it hissed back. she set an electricity field between tham and backed back up the bank. "That was close." than the call hit her again. it was telling her she had lost focus and it was not happy about it. "You could have said something before the thing attacked" she thought back at it. and started walking again.

Cymbel

Character Info
When Vinsue stated they were nearing the Ignius portion of the island, he responded. "Yes, I can tell. My internal temperature has been speaking its mind the further we've gone. Whew…" A moment of silence was followed by the sound of his hand smacking the side of his head, then checking to see if he had caught one of the little flies. He gave a sigh when there was no sign of insect residue on his hand. He had missed. In his flailing he had lopped off a few dangling vines and branches, but nothing too noticeable. Walking forward he nearly collided with Vinsue when she leaped back all of a sudden. 

"Ah! What's wrong? Did something happen?" He leaned to the side and caught sight of a large reptilian shape sinking back below the water's surface. "…Ooh. I guess we're not going that way then." Suddenly seeing bears wasn't such a bad thing anymore. He remembered seeing a large preserved skeleton of something similar mounted in a hallway, and did not like the look of those jaws. The entire perimeter was lined with those nasty sharp teeth and the force of the mouth snapping shut made him shudder. "Let's go around then."

Vinsue

Character Info
"yea well go around." she said "Nothing bad had happened just im not entering the river. you see any way to cross?" she asked as she looked around. than followed the call. it would guide her down the safest way. seeing a large tree that had fallen across the river she climbed on to it than looked at her friend. "Guess this is it." She than slowly walked across. it was a bit slick but she managed than leaped down ion to the other side. "Carfulle it is a bit slick." she yelled than watched the water.