Archive Home > Archives > 2019 Archives > Tar Eisalae: the Temple Library > Waking the Dragon [PR]
Firesong

Character Info
Name: Drake Alzrahi
Alignment: CG
Race: Celestial Dragonstar
Class: Dragon Knight
Silver: 787
The time that it had taken to journey to the temple with Magnus was inconsequential to the potential that could be unleashed if everything went well.  Still, as Drake and Magnus made their way to the elaborate temple, Drake finally realized just how small he was.  This was the first time he had ever even remotely come close to the domain of a God.  It was a completely different feeling than any town or forest he had ever visited.  

"It's…huge." Drake said.  Even the sound of his own voice felt small.  "And…pretty."  That doesn't begin to describe it, but…I can't put it into words.  "Magnus…you never told me your friend was a God."  Or maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention.  Yeah…that's probably what it is.  

Drake walked up the path, admiring the stone monoliths and intricate designs of some foreign design that Drake hadn't recognized.  It wasn't long before he stood in front of a simple looking entrance.  A door with what appeared to be some kind of magic.  I really wish I knew more about these things…but then, I guess that's why I'm here.  He looked closer, "What does that say…."

"Only…I…Know…the secret?"  Drake blinked curiously.  Only I know the secret?  He took a step back.  Obviously the door has some kind of visible magic.  And this…thing on the door, a phrase.  It is a code?  How would I even know the answer?  

"Hey, Magnus…is there something I'm missing?"  Here I am, relying on Magnus once more.  I feel so guilty, but…maybe I can repay him back somehow?  Eventually…  Drake sighed.  

Magnus

Character Info
Name: Magnus
Alignment: TG
Race: Sea Spirit -- Mummified
Class: Cleric/Librarian
Silver: 1000
Tar Eisalae was definitely a jewel. It grounded magic across the Jasumin Plains, creating an effective barrier against the Void Storms that continued to blight other parts of the continent. Magic hummed through the air and the ground as they crossed the threshold marked by the spires at the base of the hill. 

Magnus chuckled at Drake's awe. Yes, it was pretty. Magnus had only seen one thing similar to it, and that was in the Valley of Vada across the ocean. "I am pretty sure I told you that I am the head librarian here," he chuckled. "But I might have left that particular detail out," he smiled. Magnus walked with Drake up to the temple entrance and stood back a bit while Drake tried to figure out how to open the door. It was a puzzle. That was the point. He waited patiently until Drake asked for his aid in opening the run emblazoned stone. 

"Lesson number one in magic, Drake. You can't overthink it. Magic is instinctive, reflexive," Magnus said. "So, stop using your eyes to figure it out, because sometimes you can't see everything that is there. Use your other senses," Magnus insisted as he came up behind Drake. He lifted a pale hand and pressed it to the cool celestial stone that hummed and vibrated beneath his fingertips. The stone reacted to his touch, changing colors as though he was touching something as reactive as flesh. 
Firesong

Character Info
Drake watched as Magnus placed his hand on the stone, and contemplated what the Sea Spirit had said.  Instinctive and reflexive.  He closed his eyes, and took a deep, calming breath, and tried to open up his senses.  It was quiet, save for the humming of the magic in the air.  He could hear Magnus breathing beside him.  Past that, it was nothing.  No.  Wait… I…  He couldn't just hear Magnus.  He could feel his presence there.  An aura of magic surrounding him, and in turn, an overwhelming magic that surrounded the entire temple.  At first, it was almost too much, and Drake almost felt himself lost in it all, but slowly he brought himself back to where he was standing, to the calm, radiating magic aura of Magnus.  

This is what I felt when I came here, but…now, I can actually discern what it is.  It's powerful magic.  And…the door?  His eyes still shut, he placed his hand on the emblem of the door, feeling the mana coursing through it.  Oh…  Drake opened his eyes, and looked at the emblem.  Only I Know the Secret.  He smiled.  "I think…I figured it out?" Drake said tentatively as he pushed the 'I' ever so lightly.  "Well…?"

Magnus

Character Info
Magnus grinned at Drake as he figured it out, and the only response Drake got was the 'I' responding to his lightest touch and sinking flush with the rest of the stone. There was a rumble as the door opened wide, admitting the pair of them inside to the entrance hall. 

"See, some things in this world aren't meant just to be seen," he said as he clapped a hand on Drake's shoulder and walked inside. The buzz of magic was still potent, almost tangible as they entered. Upon the walls were documented in mosaic the rise of Tar Eisalae and the life of Adraejen Porthyrius, the resident god. Most notable, was the fact that the Temple itself was depicted to have fallen from the sky. A fallen star. 

"Welcome, Drake, to Tar Eisalae, the Temple Library of Adraejen Porthyrius the Keeper of the Key and Secrets of Knowledge and the Arcane," Magnus said as he indicated to the massive expansive bookshelves beyond the entrance hall archway. He guided Drake through the archway, passing the visitor book where Drake's name was recorded for the Keeper's knowledge.  Ahead of them were the crystal stairs, the Tree of Clarity and the Codex all at the very epicenter of the Library directly beneath the massive crystal Occulus high above them. 

As they walked in, a massive cat with a pelt like starlight walked up and rubbed its face against Magnus, purring loudly before it moved to sniff at Drake. 

"This is the spirit of Tar Eisalae, the physical manifestation of Lord Adraejen's powers here," the Sea Spirit said introducing the giant cat to Drake. 
Firesong

Character Info
Drake has never seen something as grand as the interior of the temple.  It was strange, though, that it seemed to be easily compared to a fallen star.  It made young man feel something akin to longing, but the feeling was short lived and faded.  It was replaced with awe at the mosaic depiction of the very God he had come to meet.  It seemed to Drake that the God had come from almost nothing.  This made Drake respect the God, even if they had yet to be introduced.  Yet, there was more.  As Magnus welcomed him to Tar Eisalae, Drake stood with his mouth agape at what would probably be the largest library he would ever see in his lifetime, though the young man would probably never truly understand that.    

Following Magnus, he walked through the archway.  "This is amazing…"  Drake couldn't really find the words suitable to express it.  "Something tells me you could get lost in here with all of this information."  I wonder if there are stories and legends here as well?

Drake noticed the cat, finally, as it rubbed up against Magnus, and then made its way to Drake.  "Why…hello there," he said with a smile, leaning down.  "It's fur is beautiful….like the sky at night…"  Yet again, Drake felt the sense of longing for the sky and it's stars.  What's wrong with me, lately?

Magnus

Character Info
The giant cat that was Tar Eisalae regarded Drake in interest and sniffed him. As if giving a sign of approval, the giant cat became suddenly smaller, about the size of a small house cat, and jumped up onto Drake's shoulders and curled up around his neck, purring. The cat lightly batted Drake's messy black hair before he lay contentedly on Drake's shoulders. 

"Well, look at that. It seems to have taken a shine to you," Magnus chuckled. "Come on."  Magnus strode forward towards the blooming crystal tree that bore the silver apples of clarity, and the pedestal with the ornate tome that contained a list of all the information kept in the library. 

"You aren't wrong. This is where the collective knowledge of all Revaliir is collected and catalogued. The moment it is discovered, Tar Eisalae collects the information and adds it to the Codex. Everything that ever was written is found here," Magnus said. "This is the Codex," he said as he guided Drake up to the book. "You can say a topic any topic, and the Codex will locate the shelf and give you a spider silk thread that will lead you to where you want to go," he explained. 

"But up there," he said as he stepped around the Codex onto a slightly raised platform behind it and pointed upward. "That's the crown jewel. The Occulus. Observatory and Throne Room to The Keeper," Magnus commented. He motioned for Drake to join him on the platform.
Firesong

Character Info
Drake was surprised at the spirit cat's sudden liking of him, but didn't complain as it climbed him and curled around his neck.  With a light pet, Drake followed Magnus to the brilliant crystal tree.  The young man had never seen anything even remotely like it, and was once again struck with a sense of awe at how little he knew of the world and its magic.  And of course, there was the Codex.  

"All knowledge that was ever written, huh?" Drake asked back.  "Could it contain knowledge of other worlds?"  He thought back to the black winged angel from his dreams, and of the flames of destruction that seemed to consume everything.  Maybe I can find out about her, and this other soul that is trying to merge with mine…  "No.  Never mind.  I…"  I'm not ready for that.  Not yet.  Maybe….maybe another time.

Magnus stepped around the Codex, and pointed upwards.  Drake followed the direction, gazing upwards.  "Woah…"  He looked down to see Magnus beckoning him to the platform.  "Right…"  He took a step onto the platform, his excitement and nervousness growing.  "Well…I'm ready."

Porthyrius

Character Info
Name: Adraejen "Drae" Porthyrius
Alignment: CN
Race: Half Elf Were Bear
Class: Blade Pact Warlock of the Fiend
Silver: 49802
"I know for a fact that it does. Particularly the sister world that many of the people of Revaliir had doubles come through when that world was consumed by the Void," Magnus replied. "But we will investigate that another time."

The sigil on the platform beneath Magnus' and Drake's feet lit up, and the platform lifted silently off the ground. It moved upward through the center of the suspended translucent spiral staircase that wound around the temple to allow access to the upper levels. Magnus observed Drake silently as they were granted an aerial view of the library that seemed to expand in all directions endlessly around them. The platform floated higher, until it filled the space at the top of the temple that had granted looked up into the Occulus at the top. 

The Occulus was awash in natural light that filtered through the thick massive crystal dome. Suspended above there heads were three orbs, representing the known world of Revaliir and the sister moons that it held in orbit. More crystal stairs wrapped around the inside of the dome, stopping at intermittent platforms that were meant to allow for better observation of different areas of the night sky. Situated towards the west side of the Occulus was a work desk and a massive plush armchair that was decorated with arcane runes. It didn't look like a traditional throne one might expect a deity to sit in. However, situated comfortably in the chair was a trim looking half-elf. While clean and well groomed, his clothing had the look of being slightly to large for his slim frame. His hair was an absurd shade of pink, but showed signs that the color was fading back to his natural black. He was lounging in the chair, eyes closed as though he was sleeping, but radiated an unimaginable magical aura. As Magnus stepped off the platform and bowed respectfully, a faint smile came to the lounging god's lips. 

"Magnus. Welcome back. I see that your leave of absence has proven to be effective," Adraejen Porthyrius spoke, still assuming the position of lounging and sleeping. 

"Yes, Lord Drae," Magnus said as he straightened up. 

"I'm glad to see it worked. It is nice to see you without that mask you had been wearing when you first came here," Drae said as he opened his eyes and looked at Magnus. "I see you brought a friend with you."

"Thank you, Lord Drae. It's been quite nice to be free of it," Magnus replied. He turned and motioned for Drake to step forward. "This is Drake Alzrahi. I met him in Abed and hired him on to be my aide while I was there."

Drae furrowed his brow as he rolled the name off of his tongue. There was something familiar about it, but he couldn't quite place it. "Alzrahi. I feel I should know that name from somewhere. Huh…" he shrugged slightly when it didn't come to him. He turned in his chair and stood up. "So, what brings you here, Drake Alzrahi?"

Firesong

Character Info
As soon as they reached the Occulus, Drake felt another shift in the air.  It was almost dizzying the power that the God that was to be introduced held, and more so the fact that Drake himself could not effectively filter the magic he was know perceiving.  Still, he did his best to move forward as Magnus introduced the resident God, Lord Drae.  Immediately, despite the overwhelming pressure, Drake had to stifle a laugh at the God's absurdly pink hair.

Drake made a bow, trying his best to mimic what he saw Magnus do.  "Lord Drae," Drake started.  "I…er…come with a selfish request."  He straightened himself back out, and stood awkwardly for a moment while he tried to find his words.  "Er…as I am now, I'm unable to truly tap into, what Magnus has told me, a strong magical potential.  It was recommended that I, um…seek you out and ask for your aid."  The young man had never really had much of an issue articulating words before, but for some reason, Drake was struggling.

What do I do now?  Another bow?  Grovel?  I'm not…sure how to interact with a God.  I should have asked Magnus more questions.  I should have been more prepared.  

Porthyrius

Character Info
Name: Adraejen "Drae" Porthyrius
Alignment: CN
Race: Half Elf Were Bear
Class: Blade Pact Warlock of the Fiend
Silver: 49802
Drae noticed Drake's stifled laughter and smiled. "Go ahead, get it out. I know it looks ridiculous," he stated with a laugh of his own. "My wife, Angela, is carrying our youngest child, and she is wreaking havoc here and in Elysia while still in the womb. This–" he indicated to his hair "is one such magical mishap. And try as I might, it is being incredibly stubborn about turning back," he explained as he stood. He walked up and looked Drake over with his shining silver eyes. He and Drake were roughly the same height, but there was something about his aura that suggested that Drae was not at his most impressive at this point in the season. 

He listened to Drake's explanation, and circled him a couple times, examined him closely and even inhaled deeply of his scent, which might have come off as slightly invasive, before he backed up again. Drae narrowed his eyes at Drake before he regarded Magnus. 

"You can feel that, right Magnus?"

"Absolutely. It comes off of him in waves. It's hard to believe he can't feel it himself," Magnus replied. 

"How in the name of the World Tree are you not able to feel that inside yourself, Drake?" Drae asked incredulously, but then waved off his own question. "That's of no matter. You are here, and I sure as hell can fix it," he said with a broad grin that showed off some less than human teeth. He let out an animal-esque growl of satisfaction. "This might be a bit uncomfortable, but do try not to move," Drae insisted as he stepped up to Drake again. He created a triangle with his index fingers and thumbs and pressed it to Drake's so-called third eye. He closed his eyes and began speaking in the old arcane languages. Wind picked up inside the Occulus and the crystal grew cloudy and lightning flashed as though they were inside a storm. An uncomfortable pressure built up quickly around them as the arcane lock inside Drake was being opened. Drae's voice echoed off the crystal walls over the din of the magical storm, until with a final word, the pressure suddenly ceased, like a bubble popped. The storm subsided and the Occulus looked out once again on a clear sunny day. Drae stepped back away from Drake and put his hands on his hips. 

"Now. Tell me what you feel."