Archive Home > Archives > 2019 Archives > Tar Eisalae: the Temple Library > Arcane Inquiry [GO]
Nerine

Character Info
Name: Nerine
Alignment: TG
Race: Rosenite
Class: Herbalist/Scholar
Silver: 0
The portal shimmered and disappeared as she set both feet on solid ground. Gazing at the magnificent structure, she could feel the magic humming in the air. It was breathtaking…the Library Temple. This was her first time visiting such a place. Shiloh had asked her for a small favor, which required some information the deity of knowledge and the arcane likely had. Lately the Steward had been concerned over reports of strange sightings in the Forest of Eyes, Menomori. With the change in location of the god of light's realm, that left Shiloh and the god she would be visiting as the only deities residing in Parvpora. If there was anything one needed to know on magic, he was the one to pay a visit. The scholar had heard of Lady Angela's husband, but had never seen him personally. What kind of person would the one who presided over the hidden mysteries of magic be? 

Faced with the door, she read aloud the words. Shiloh had told her there was a trick to it, but kept mum on what it was. With no handle or keyhole, nor hinges to see which way it opened, Nerine spent several minutes inspecting it. Running her fingers across, she felt one letter was a bit different than the rest. Pressing it in, the 'I' caused the way to be opened, revealing the greatest library the world had. Taking her time to observe the details of the entry hall, she lingered around the murals and mosaics. Finally, she came to a large book resting before an archway. A closer look made her gasp in surprise–her own name was appearing on its very pages! And following it was a record of her moment of arrival, down to the very minute. Pulling out a folded sheet of parchment, she reviewed what the Steward had asked her to gather information on. The list was short, mentioning things about warding symbols, talismans, and imbuing properties that would create selective barriers. For what reasons Shiloh was asking, she had no idea.

Inside the library proper, she wandered through the rows of bookshelves wondering if he knew she was here already. Taking care to stay in more open areas, she wanted to make it easier for her to be found.

"Love all, trust few, and do wrong to none."
Porthyrius

Character Info
Name: Adraejen "Drae" Porthyrius
Alignment: CN
Race: Half Elf Were Bear
Class: Blade Pact Warlock of the Fiend
Silver: 49802
The feel of the new visitor had interesting magical residue on her. Now he hadn't the chance to officially meet Shiloh yet, but the tell tale electrical residue that came off this young mage was unmistakable. If he remembered correctly, Rohan had gone out towards Etoya Etu once with De'Zhelis to track down this girl, mostly as a welfare check since she had been gone quite a long time into the desert. He had to hand it to her, she was quite the dedicated researcher. 

He stepped on the platform and it took him down to the lower levels where he stepped out and came looking for the young woman. If his suspicions were correct, she was more than likely here on an errand for the Lady of Fortune, in which case, he wanted to help her directly. 

He stepped down off the platform and passed by the Tree of Clarity and the Codex, and followed the residual magic trail in between the shelves until he found the young woman. 

"Researching things a little closer to home these days?" he asked her curiously as he leaned up against the shelf and folded his arms across his chest. "So, to what pleasure do I owe having the clergy of Shiloh Kyrie paying a visit to Tar Eisalae?" he asked with a charming smile. 

Nerine

Character Info
When the deity arrived, she gave a polite bow. "Ah, Lord Adraejen." This was her first time meeting him, and she was overwhelmed by the magical presence that came with him. To his question, she nodded. "Yes, I've decided to take a breather in between collecting samples." She had other things in her life that helped smooth over that hurt. And now she was feeling better, she wasn't drowning herself in work to forget. Taking out the list and handing it to him carefully, Nerine did her best to explain her employer's shorthand. "Shiloh asked if I could gather some information on these."

'Warding symbols'. "Lately she has been noticing increased activity around the border between Kujishoku and Ataiyo, in Menomori. There have been sightings of strange phenomenon, and she has been researching local methods the Ataiyans have used in the past to keep otherworldly beings at bay." 'Talismans'. "It is well-known that many cultures have their own versions of protective talismans, that is why she asked me to come speak with you on what you would consider the best for such purposes." 'Imbuing power and magical barriers'. "I suppose this is why she wanted to inquire about the previous two items. I can't say for sure what she plans to do with these, or how she would implement them. I didn't have the chance to ask." The most obvious use would be having them for bolstering the defenses of Antikythera. Aside from that, only the goddess herself knew. She was a person of few words, and would often be absorbed in her own thought processes when explaining–often leaving out steps and speaking in sentence fragments.

Typically Nerine would string them together, but at best it would result in three-fourths of what Shiloh had in mind. She always kept so much to herself, the scholar would at times wonder if her mind never stopped turning.

Porthyrius

Character Info
Drae looked over the list of items that Shiloh had sent while Nerine explained what had been happening on the borders of Ataiyo and Kujishoku in the bamboo forests of Menomori. He rubbed his chin thoughtfully before he motioned for the young researcher to follow him. He took her over to the Codex and flipped it open running his finger over the index as he did so. 

"This library is vast. It has every book, every ounce of knowledge all of Revaliir has ever seen. I may be a God, but I'll admit, I am a big city boy. You ask me personally about Iria or Kurayo, I could tell you the ins and outs. But Menomori, and the surrounding areas? I would have to refer you to an expert. Someone who was there long enough ago to be able to tell you that all himself," Drae said. He tapped a page of the Codex, and a long silver thread no wider than spider silk floated down into his hand. He turned and handed the thread to Nerine. 

"That will take you to the subject material you are looking for. You'll also find my head librarian, Magnus up there. He's a Sea Spirit that comes from Ataiyo and Kujishoku. He'll be able to answer your questions about this particular thing more than I can. If I am correct, he may have been there when those original wards were placed. He'll be the person to tell you and Lady Shiloh all you need," Magnus said, directing Nerine to follow the thread deeper into the Library. 

Nerine

Character Info
She hadn't realized that although Lady Angela's husband had ascended to his current station, that was not equivalent to being all-knowing on the topics of magic. Her embarrassment was interrupted as he motioned for her to follow. Before him was a great book, with pages beyond what she could keep up with. He searched for something, then upon finding it brought a thin shimmering thread to her. Taking the thread gingerly into her hands, she gave slight bow in thanks. "That's wonderful! Thank you so much. This will surely help." And perhaps she would be able to piece together what Shiloh had in mind, as well. 

A person who came from Kujishoku and Ataiyo! Some of Shiloh's luck-affecting abilities must have been in play for her to come upon such a happy coincidence. Walking back into the maze of shelves to where the end of the strand would lead, she grasped at it as she moved along. This library had every bit of information in all of the world. That thought was enough to make her head spin. Smiling to herself, she wondered if this was part of the reason why Shiloh had asked her to come. Antikythera's steward knew that she would love it here. She owed her life to the storm deity, and wanted to return the favor whenever she had the chance even if Shiloh herself never asked for it. Moving up to a higher floor, she checked that the thread was still in her possession. The scholar wasn't sure of how many people the Keeper had in his employ, and hoped it wouldn't be too difficult to find who she needed to speak with.

Going in the direction of the unraveled string, she saw somebody by the books. "Excuse me? Are you Magnus? Lord Adraejen suggested that I speak with you." She called out to the figure. 

Magnus

Character Info
Name: Magnus
Race: Sea Spirit -- Mummified
Class: Cleric/Librarian
Silver: 1000
Magnus looked up from the books that he had stacked in his arms to be put away. Fair complexioned with long white hair, the sea spirit wore the traditional garb of the denizens of Ataiyo and Kujishoku, and smiled at Nerine as she queried whether or not he was Magnus, and explained that Adraejen had directed her to him. 

"That would in fact be me, Miss," he replied as he came over with the stack of books. "You must be Shiloh Kyrie's steward, Miss Nerine. Lord Drae mentioned you would be coming to speak with me," he said. He let go of the books and the magic of the Temple Library took effect as the books returned to the shelves on their own. "He didn't really say what about though. So, why don't you give me the run down on what it is I can help you with?" he suggested. "If he sent you to me, I have a feeling it is probably something to do with Ataiyo and Kujishoku?"
Nerine

Character Info
"Yes, that's right. I wanted to ask about what you know of the wards that were put in place years ago to create the boundary between Kujishoku and Menomori. Recently there's been increased activity in the Forest of Eyes, and those living on the outer fringes of the forest have reported strange sightings. Shiloh suspects it has something to do with the disappearance of the God of Light's temple from the nearby region, but wanted to make sure she wasn't jumping to conclusions." Bringing the written list again, she handed it to him. "She's stated an interest in warding symbols, talismans, and the process of imbuing items with power–or creating barriers with said power. Maybe she's worried that some otherworldly beings from that realm might be causing havoc."

She hadn't spent much time studying the spirit realm of Kujishoku. Most of her focus was in herbalism and the elements than more arcane and occult subjects. Considering Magnus' appearance, it did seem he was someone who had lived in Ataiyo in the past. She was momentarily distracted by the books magically returning to their shelves without assistance. This would explain how Tar Eisalae was so well-kept. She couldn't imagine how much work the librarians would have every day if it weren't for that little convenience. There would be no end to organizing and cataloging! Her focus returning to the task at hand, she listened intently to what the head librarian had to say on the topics she presented to him. This was a good chance to learn a little more on these matters. It would only prove useful for future reference.

Magnus

Character Info
Name: Magnus
Race: Sea Spirit -- Mummified
Class: Cleric/Librarian
Silver: 1000
"It sounds to me that the protective wards are starting to lose their potency," Magnus thought. "Those wards have been up since before Naota ascended, though it is true, his dominion over light and holiness gave them more strength," he said. "I was there when the wards were first put up. That was a long time ago, and periodically they must be replaced, unfortunately. With the Void Storms that come through that region periodically, the wards tend to lose their power ever couple hundred years or so," he explained to Nerine. 

The sea spirit walked to a shelf with some scrolls neatly ordered there and pulled a couple from their places and spread them out on a table. Upon the first scroll was an calligraphy illustration of two massive trees found in Menomori, the place that marked the border of the spirit realm in the Forest of Eyes. "This here, is the gateway to the spirit realm," he explained. "If Lady Shiloh wishes to fortify the protection there again, then these white silk ropes," he indicated to the thick ropes that were tied about the trunks of both trees "must be replaced. There is a special ritual that goes in to making them, which can be done in Ataiyo. Then the talismans that hang from the tree and gate itself will need to be remade, with the symbol of spirit warding painted on holy wood that is then hung from red cord on irons hooks and nails," he told Nerine as he unrolled the second scroll and showed her illustrations of the warding talismans. 

"That should do it. Any other measures that she wishes to put into effect should aide as well," he said as he rolled the scrolls back up and handed them to Nerine. "If Lady Shiloh requires it, I can come and assist."
Nerine

Character Info
"So the presence of a deity's temple being so close kept the wards from degrading? I suppose very few have even given it thought. This did start happening once the Deity of Light left Parvpora, and shortly after Shiloh noted the strange reports." But if Shiloh herself was a deity, then why did that not aid the wards? Was it due to her domains, or something more basic like being out of their proximity? The rest of her questions were answered as Magnus procured scrolls depicting important details on the spirit wards maintaining the boundary of Menomori and Kujishoku. They were quite old, and she considered it a godsend that they had survived. If they hadn't, then aside from Magnus, there was no way she could find this information.

"A few hundred years isn't very long… With Lord Naota gone, the wards likely had been forgotten. This all looks rather complex, even for a ward. It's surprising to be honest. But it is essentially strong enough to form a dimensional boundary, so it must have a reason." She was jotting down everything the sea spirit was telling her, and what she could see from the scrolls' illustrations. The warding talismans would be the most crucial part, from the exact symbols to the consecration ritual. "This is much, much more than I had expected–but I'm glad to see that it can be done." Taking the scrolls with care from the librarian, she gave him her thanks. "With this knowledge, we can start working on reestablishing the wards right away. Once the new wards are in place, the people in Nisshoki will no longer need to worry about staying out after nightfall."

When he offered to assist, she readily accepted. "Yes, that would be much appreciated Sir Magnus! As you have said, you saw the wards while they were first placed long ago. I couldn't think of anyone better to guide us in performing the rites than you. Obtaining the materials necessary won't be a problem, that leaves finding the holy wood and ensuring everything holds." Remembering that the sea spirit was under another deity's employ, she checked herself as she realized he would need the approval of Lord Adraejen. "If it's alright with Lord Adraejen, could you come see us at our temporary outpost in Menomori? I'll tell Shiloh everything you told me, and she'll have things ready in less than a few days." The deity of luck wasn't one to sit idly when there was work to be done. It was both a merit and a flaw she had. 

Porthyrius

Character Info
"I think it was less a deity's temple, and more specific to Lord Naota's dominion over Light and his strength in the sacred magics," Magnus corrected. "Otherwise, the rise of Lady Shiloh and Lord Drae's presence would have strengthened the barriers, rather than them diminish as they have," Magnus replied simply. "If truth be told, I think that the wards were already starting to fade when Naota took up the mantle of Light, but their diminishing powers were stayed while he remained in Parvpora. As soon as he left, as you mentioned, there would have been deific magic to maintain the wards and they quickly lost what residual power they had," he explain. "Normally, as soon as the barrier showed signs of weakening, someone would have gone out to fix it. I would guess, that people took it for granted that Naota would remain the God of Light for longer than he did. It is also possible that the people who were given this task have either passed on, or lost the knowledge somehow," he pointed out. 

Nerine's eagerness to have Magnus assist in the restoring of the wards made the spirit smile. However, when she checked herself to see if he would even be able to since he was in Lord Drae's service, the God of Magic appeared out of thin air beside them. 

"If Lady Shiloh will require the assistance of my Librarian, I will be happy to lend him," Drae said with a grin. "If he stays in here much longer, I fear the books may infect him with dryness and he'll once more again be subject to mummy rot."

This made Magnus chuckle. "You know that's not how that curse works!"
"OF course I do, but seriously, since you came back from Abed, you've been cooped up here for weeks. You need fresh air now that you have been restored. The world out there is much different than it was back when Sardon was running rampant. Go explore. Meet friends. Get to know the other deities!"