Archive Home > Archives > 2016 Archives > The Basalt Eyrie > These Cold Halls [GO/R]
Calanthe

Character Info
Name: Calanthe Rose
Alignment: TG
Race: Rosenite
Class: Bard
Silver: 1116
Her eyes glittered towards him as she thought about his words. Her mind rushed with the possibility that she could stop a fight just by singing the right song. Bards were amazing people and it was one of the many reasons she had set out to study under the great masters.  "You'll have to show me sometime I love good stories." She didn't realize at the moment the words left her lips that it might mean him undressing but as soon as she did her cheeks flushed.

The woman was quick to shake her head. "My mother is the Matron Daughter being the first goddess of our race. We would be gracious to have another god in our presence. Besides all good Rosenites know better than to fear death. You must simply wave it as you pass it by on your way to living life. Life always gives Death presents and Death cherishes them forever. When our time is up that is simply all there is too it. We don't fear you nor death itself. We fear the unknown and death is hardly unknown. Really the only thing not known is how we die. Do we die in labor? Do we die in battle? Do we die choking on ale that we drank way too quickly? Who knows," her words made herself chuckle and shake her head as she thought about it. "We would welcome you to dance with us and share the meaning of our lives."

The moment he went into shock the red head almost reacted as if she had done a terrible thing. It was more of a shock to her when he suddenly relaxed and pressed his death cold lips to her cheek. She could tell the difference between the winter wind and how cold he was. Where the winter was harsh she liked how his cold felt against her warmth. "Rosenites celebrate the solstice, though if you ask me we celebrate almost to anything. We love the dancing and singing that comes with parties."

Another flush came to her cheeks as she gave him a simple smile. "I only speak the truth. You may have responsibilities over the dead and many may fear that but I see a very kind and gentle man. Death and the time after that does not have to be evil or bad. You may have moments where you need to become more evil but who doesn't? No one is truly wholly good. When push comes to shove we all would be selfish for one thing or another. Family, love, greed, there are simply too many things that make us flawed creatures but that is the beauty of individuals. We each carry our own song and our songs reach out to another who is humming our melody." She gently took his hand and weaved their fingers together. "And a new song is created and with that a new being. Their song is carried on by their children and their grandchildren always adding on. That's what makes everyone so beautiful. It's what makes you beautiful Bryn no matter what you represent or how people see you, you are beautiful." It must have been weird for him to be called that but it was how she seen him.

"I will enjoy being in your presence as well. I have much to learn from you and I have a feeling that I have much to teach you also. My mother works in very mysterious ways but she has a reason for everything she does. She would not have sent me here if she didn't think I would enjoy it." Looking back down at their intertwined hands her cheeks flushed another shade of pink before letting go. 

"Even if it is in the middle of the night I would play for you. Even if you had to wake me from my sleep. I would put your mind at ease if it were running wild. I would comfort you where no words could. Music is a universal language loved by all. It brings many people together and even if they didn't speak the same common tongue music is always something they could enjoy together. I would stay at the foot of your bed and play over you if you needed rest. I would sit by you and play if you were ill. These are the things I offer. These are the things my heart sings to yours for peace and relaxation. That is why I became a bard."

Seeds of eulogy to sow along with dreams
Fill the need that can leave us grieving alone

As you hear me
As you do
As you need me
Making true, what we knew would come all along
OOC: Brittlez
Bryn yr Gwyn

Character Info
Name: Bryn yr Gwyn
Alignment: TN
Race: Wight
Class: Cursed warrior
Silver: 903
He was about to agree without a second thought to showing her his scars and telling her how he'd received them, then saw her face flush with colour, and moment later realised just why that would be. He chuckled a little and simply said, "I'd be happy to show you at least a few of them, although perhaps not too many." After all, a bare torso was hardly obscene, and he had a few on his arms. Although her reaction suggested that she wasn't entirely displeased about the idea, certainly no indication of disgust. Bryn filed that thought away for consideration later, especially as he was getting more and more of an inkling that Angela had thoughts of bonds more solid than his simply taking in her daughter.

Calanthe's description of the Rosenite's view of death was a refreshing one, he'd come across some people who saw death as a release and welcomed it, others fought for every second more that they could take. But to treat it as something that simply happens and that only the manner rather than timing that mattered was something Bryn could see himself taking to. "In that case I look forward to dancing and seeing the Rosenite view of life in all its splendour." The idea of life giving death presents, the lives of those who passed was a poetic one, but one that appealed to the wight.

As Calanthe's increasingly impassioned defence of who he was and how no one is wholly good or evil, death being truly neutral Bryn smiled, letting her take his hand and lace their fingers together. But her final words, calling him beautiful left him at a complete loss. He was handsome he guessed, broad shouldered and young in appearance but beautiful was not something he was often called, indeed he only recalled Chae naming him as such. It was with some reluctance that he let her hands go when she flushed, he answered what she'd said about her mother with a slightly wry tone, "I get the distinct feeling she thought you'd find much to enjoy in your stay." There was just the trace of laughter in his voice now.

Her final declaration that she would always be there to play for him at any time brought another smile to his lips. "I am sure you will play exquisite music for me," He stepped closer, he raised a hand to her cheek, cupping it, "I take all that you offer me." He kissed her cheek softly, "Although perhaps sitting at the foot of my bed at night may raise some eyebrow."

Calanthe

Character Info
Calanthe smiled through her flush and added a nod. "Thank you." She was glad that Bryn could see when she was flustered about something and did not pressure her for details. He was a man of honor after all and the bard had many stories of valiant lords protecting their ladies. Bryn seemed like the type of man to be like those lords.

Her golden eyes focused on him for a moment before laughter followed. "I have a feeling you are right. Mother is one to work with many motives. Once watched her end a fight between two families by getting their children to fall in love and marry. They were not allowed to fight under their clan rules. Mother hates  seeing fights without any reason." 

Another flush came to her cheeks as he cupped one of her cheeks and kissed it. "What eyebrows would dare rise to their lord in the Eyrie." She chuckled a bit as her hand came up and held his. "Besides Rosenites have a nasty habit of going to a man's bed and leaving." Not that she would leave and she made sure her eyes screamed that but the story she told was true. "Besides aren't you a little old to care about what people might think." She teased him in a whisper.

The wind whipped and she felt her nose and tips of her ears beginning to get sensitive. They were red from the cold and she chuckled. "Maybe we should head back for tonight. I'm afraid I'm not like you. I'm more of a summer child and hardly have I ever seen the winter." She had a look of sadness on her face for them leaving the fields so early but still they could have time together back in his fortress.

As you hear me
As you do
As you need me
Bryn yr Gwyn

Character Info
The story of Angela stopping a feud by creating a bond of marriage chimed with Bryn's own suspicions as to Angela's motives in asking him to host Calanthe, she'd already made one match at least, what would stop her making another one. Although he couldn't see her having the same motive to match make as he was hardly one to wage war or even fight personally without just cause. All the same he couldn't fault Angela's choice if it was her intention, Calanthe had been a delight so far. "So she considers herself an arch-matchmaker I take it."

Her question as to who would raise eyebrows at the nocturnal habits of the lord of the Eyrie had quite a simple answer, "Anyone who expects that lord to be the personification of his realm." So many people seemed unable to separate the deity as a person from their role, although yes each one did epitomise it to a point, they were also individuals. As to the rumoured habits of Rosenites Bryn simply said, "If you happen to be in that position I would hope you're staying there until the morning." He chuckled a little, letting Calanthe know he'd seen exactly what she'd been trying to make him understand from her looks. As for his age he shrugged, "I'm old enough in years, but to be fair I wasn't exactly aware for most of them." Given he'd been lying in a tomb for most of those centuries.

Bryn acceded to Calanthe's protests about the weather, he swiftly mounted up again and offered her a hand up in front of him again, this time his hands settling lightly on her waist as the horse turned for home. In a short time they were back under the pall of darkness which surrounded the Basalt Eyrie and picking their way up the hidden path to Bryn's stables. "Once we're settled back in the hall I'd probably best show you where the baths are. I know you had a long journey and there are few places to refresh yourself once you reach the Highlands."

Calanthe

Character Info
Shaking her head Calanthe laughed. "I don't think so. I think that is cousin Rhea's job. You'll meet her in the coming days. She is part of the conclave as well. Mother use to let Rhea run around in her gardens when she was young before she became part of the pantheon. Mother does what she wants when she wants to as long as she has a good reason for it."

Giving him a smile she shook her head. "Then they need to learn who their lord is. You are more than this realm Bryn." There was a soft look on her face as she nodded. "I always would stay. I'm different in that aspect compared to the rest of my race." Frowning at his words she shrugged with him. "I'm sorry you had to sleep through all those years hopefully you can catch up on them." And not be alone doing it.

She was happy as he helped her up. A light blush came back and she felt the heat difference between the air and her face as his hands settled on her waist. She said good bye to his beautiful horse king and joined Bryn at his side. "That would be wonderful. I know little about the Highlands so I'll take your word on it."

Thinking on it for a moment she chuckled. "My father was a warrior who lived on the outer edge of the Highlands. I don't know much about him other than he is alive now but wants utterly nothing to do with me. Such is how most men are to the Rosenites they bed." She played with the edges of her cloak. "That might be the other reason my mother sent me out here. To teach me about that half of my blood. I always asked her questions but she could never answer them. At least she couldn't answer them from her own experiences."

She went quiet and kept next to Bryn as they took the secret path up.

As you hear me
As you do
As you need me
Bryn yr Gwyn

Character Info
Setting Ahearn to rights took all of a few minutes, the horse himself busied himself with his feed almost as soon as the tack was off. Quite dispelling the unnatural perception that his seemingly complete obedience and ability to take direction with the barest of indications might give. Bryn just shook his head and laughed, "All men, even gods must come a poor second to a horse when a feeding bucket is in front of them." But in some ways it was precisely that quality that he liked about the animal, it had kept Bryn grounded from the first time they had met, it didn't matter what form Bryn was in, so long as he provided food he had Ahearn's loyalty and since his elevation Ahearn had made it quite clear that the feed bucket was still king, god or no god.

The idea of a father not wanting to know his child stung Bryn somewhat, it seemed a deep betrayal of blood to his ancient sense of honour. He shook his head slightly as he began to lead Calanthe back up through the torch lit passages, "In my time a father was expected to acknowledge any child of his, or at least someone who would stand as father." Even if they weren't father in blood they would take on all such responsibilities. "Granted I do not know what customs have changed, but I am rather surprised that a father would deny kinship." Again it might simply be the passing of time, or the fact that Calanthe's mother was both Rosenite and a deity which had led her father not to be involved, but all the same Bryn could at least help her connect with the land if not the man.

Finally they reached the hallway which had the door to Calanthe's room, the red ribbon tied to the handle still. Indicating the door next to his chambers he said. "This is the door to the bathrooms, it's fed by a warm spring which constantly refreshes the water in a tub." He opened it, letting a pall of steam. While the rest of the Eyrie had been worked from the basalt of the outcrop, the bathroom was all of polished black and white marble, the tub itself was octagonal and deep enough in the middle to submerge Bryn's shoulders, but with a shelf of seating round the edge to allow a bather to sit in the water comfortably. "What do you think?"

Calanthe

Character Info
Calanthe's eyes glistened. "Maybe someday I will have a child who will have a father with your values. That would be nice." She blushed a bit as she had never really thought of having a family soon. "Not that I am planning on having a family any time soon. Maybe in the next hundred years or so. I have an obligation to you to fulfill that comes first." That was how she valued the quest her mother put her on.

She nodded a bit as she watched the hot steam pour out. "It's beautiful." She smiled up at him and walked in so she could run her fingers along the edges of the marble. "My mother's realm is a bit different. Hot water flows from a waterfall into a pond like area. Though she is more earthy than most. Someday I'll have to take you to her realm. You might find it a breath of fresh air compared to the rest of the world."

For a moment she let out a yawn then she smiled towards as she walked back over to him. "I think I shall plan on turning in for the night." She kissed his cheek. "It has been a long journey and I am very grateful for the hospitality you have shown me. This will be a very long stay but it appears to be one that will be enjoyed every day Bryn." She went back to her room and found herself changing out of her dress.

Pulling a thin night gown over her body she moved over to a window and peeked out at the darkness that was around them. It would take some time to get use to it as she let her mind wander. She could hardly begin to figure out just how long she had been staring out the window as she pulled herself away and looked into a mirror. She could see dirt and other specks on her skin from her ride with Bryn. Chuckling she pulled her hair up and pinned it so she wouldn't get it in the way. She opened the door and peeked out before going over to the bathing room and walking in.

As you hear me
As you do
As you need me
Bryn yr Gwyn

Character Info
Bryn nodded, understanding Calanthe's interest in a child, but not wanting that responsibility quite yet. She seemed to be a free spirit to him, not ready to settle down to the responsibilities of motherhood quite yet. That wasn't to say he saw her as irresponsible, simply that she wasn't a place in her life where a child figured. The idea of her leaving left something of a sour taste in his mouth, but he simply smiled and said, "If that changes and you do meet someone with whom you wish to live and raise a child then you would be free of any obligation. I'm no tyrant to prevent love from growing where it will." Indeed love was one of the few reasons that he would move the boundary for someone, as often their partner was willing to share their time. "For myself, as far as I'm aware the chance has passed me by, for a child at least. I may move, talk, think and feel like any man, my body may react as man when I am in this form, but I am still undead."

He wasn't surprised at Calanthe's description of the bathing facilities in Angela's realm. "An earth and fertility deity bathing in a pool fed by a waterfall." He chuckled, "Somehow I can imagine her choosing any other method." For him, his bathing pool was a luxury he'd never known is his lifetime. "This area has hot springs, so back when I was a chieftain that was the main way, although often enough a pail of water heated over the first had to suffice. But I look forward to seeing your mother's realm at some point."

Once Calanthe bid her good nights and made her way to her room Bryn stretched a little, while he didn't really suffer from muscle soreness as he would have done when mortal, riding always made him feel a little bit closer to that state. Hearing Calanthe's door shut he shed the black shroud which had become a permanent part of his attire, letting it slip from his shoulder to pool on the floor. When he wore it, the shroud seemed to exude a sense of otherworldliness, as if there was something mystical about it, lying on the floor it appeared to be a simple piece of cloth, albeit one Bryn knew was centuries old. The rest of his clothes soon followed it, and he stepped down into the pool, enjoying the warmth that suffused him. Leaning back against the side of the bath he simply luxuriated in the sensations. He had to admit, there were some perks to being a god.

Calanthe

Character Info
Calanthe was glad that Bryn had a kind heart. In the back of her mind she knew that some men would have taken her as a gift rather than a person. She may have been a bond but she had feelings and dreams. One day she would complete them but for the moment she was content.  "Gods are strange creatures. You may find yourself able to have children again simply because of your divinity. My mother may even try to mess with you. Remember that she rules all things of fertility." Calanthe laughed a bit. "She's done even stranger things with her powers than make the undead able to have children."

Listening to him she nodded as the steam rolled onto her face and it felt good. She couldn't imagine having to haul water. "I suppose that is where I am spoiled. Most of our lives have been spent getting things we wanted and having it easy. Though our mother has lessons in humility for us all. After all we represent her and her ability to raise children."

After their good nights and checking the hallway for people she went over to the bath's door and opened it. Her footsteps were light and she barely made a peep as she opened the door and without looking stepped in quickly and shut the door. So when she turned around he started her and she eeped almost immediately. "I'm sorry Bryn!" Though she couldn't lie and say she didn't look him over. Wrapping her arms around her body she backed up and hit the door. 

As you hear me
As you do
As you need me
Bryn yr Gwyn

Character Info
The sound of Calanthe's surprise brought a grin to Bryn's lips, while he kept himself shrouded normally within the privacy of his own quarters or the bathing room he lost any such shyness. Glancing towards her over his shoulder, making sure that she didn't have too much of a view, just his torso. Satisfied at that he said, "Don't worry, I'm not a shrinking violet." He leaned back against the wall of the tub, resting his arms outstretched on the rim, pulling his corded muscles into sharp relief. Even with his back to her numerous scars were clearly visible on his arms and shoulders. Mostly smaller lines, but across his arms were several more prominent marks, attesting to a life spent wielding weapons. It reminded him of their earlier conversation.

"Seeing as you're here, I recall you having some curiosity about my scars, this may be as good a chance as you could ask for to see them." He indicated a stool which stood a short way from the door. "If you take a seat you can ask about any you're interested in." The stool itself was plain wood, rather plain compared to the marble of the rest of the room, but on closer inspection there were numerous twisting carvings along the legs. Bryn grinned to her over his shoulder, "On the other hand," He dunked his head under the water, and on re-emerging slicked his golden hair back. "The water is lovely, and the tub's large enough." He laughed again, although in truth he wasn't entirely sure which of the options he'd prefer her to take.