Roleplay Forums > Parvpora > Zujiuchu Mountains > Zets’Ki Cradle > Once Bitten, Twice Shy [Ask to join]
River

Character Info
Name: River
Alignment: CN
Race: Rosenite
Class: Spiritbinder
Silver: 649
He almost hadn't come, but there were two things that had changed his mind.  One was the lovely setting, and there were always quite a few interesting people to watch and speak with.  The second was the threat of his mentor.  Bryony had actually threatened to drag him here physically if he didn't go voluntarily, and River had relented.  Besides, it would have been more than a little embarrassing to have been brought here like a child.  He had laid claim to a chaise lounge, enjoying watching people and listening to the music.  It was a fine enough way to spend the evening, and there was something in his eyes that made most people leave him alone.

Once again, his thoughts drifted to Mirannda, and how their last meeting had ended.  He had considered many times trying to find her, wanting to ask why.  But another part of him decided it was better that he respect her privacy.  So the spiritbinder had thrown himself into his.  He had discovered a few new rituals buried in the depths of the library, sent souls to rest in the Stream, and most important of all to him, found a few more pieces of his lost past.  It had been hard to learn that he would never know his mother and father, their souls had been ripped away and sent to lands far away.  It was part of the drive to learn more.  He wanted to know what it was like to say the words 'mother' and 'father', and have them mean something.  Mirannda would have laughed at him.

The thought of her drove an irritated sigh from his mouth, causing an elvish woman who had been eying him to turn away.  He slouched on the lounge letting his elbows rest on his knees and his chin in a hand.  A part of her wanted to see MIrannda again, a part of him was unsure and indifferent.  Only time and chance would tell…

Nix

Character Info
Name: Mirannda Sinopa
Race: Phoenix
Class: Retired Mercenary
Silver: 174
[For reference of Mirannda's dress, click Here]

Mirannda has been on Revaliir for a little over a year, maybe a year and a half. So much has happened in this time. Amends were beginning to be made from past errors. She had learned she did not have to be evil. Killing was still in her everyday life, however she chose, and still feel good about helping people be safe. The act of taking their life could be as brutal as she wished, but their soul was wicked. They preyed heavily on the innocent, taking far too many pure lives for Dalanesca's preferences.

Dalanesca, goddess of death and desire. Meeting her was almost like looking into a mirror and finding her soul staring back at her. While the goddess was far older, and acceptive of her ways, the similarities were far too coincidental to not notice. Thus, she did not feel remorse for any action she did. Be it in bed, or on a battlefield. Or it was both, using the lure of lust and desire towards her to lead her quarry to her trap. Yet, everyday, her mind drifts back to one night.

As she smoothed out the garnet silk, and the sheer golden overlay, River's face danced in her mind. Mirannda recalled the kiss she had given him. He had begged her to stay, but she was afraid. Her past was not kind to her friends, and did not want to hurt him far more than just walking away would. In a mirror, she admired the dress, from the silken straps, the darker bodice, and how she looked as living flame as she walked. Black heels, and her hair left to cascade in curls down her back, she was ready for the ball.

With her first steps into the warm interior, Mirannda wondered if River would be there. From his soft chocolate colored skin, to his alluring eyes. Why was he one of the few to give her pause? It was here they enjoyed a dance together, were harassed by a vampire, met a cute child. Then they kissed. She blinked, trying to forget the fog of memory she could practically see before her. Perhaps it was a subconscious pull, or some other explanation, but Mirannda glanced to the side of the room as she made her way forward. Her gait faltered as she saw him.

River sat almost broodily, and she couldn't help but wonder if he was on the same thought process she was. Melding into the shadows, Mirannda smirked as she managed to use the crowds shadows to approach him, hopefully, unnoticed. He gave a grouchy sigh, which led to an interested woman losing her attraction to him. As she rematerialized next to the lounge, she sat beside him with a soft chuckle. ”Brooding does little to attracting potential dance partners.” The phoenix looked at him from beneath her lashes, that flirtatious smile fading lightly to something more friendly. What was truly on his mind? Was he upset with her for running away. ”Hello… River.” A hand went to rest on his knee. ”How are you, dearest friend?”

Death is only the beginning.
River

Character Info
He couldn't help but to tense up when someone sat next to him, then River stared for a moment as the woman who had been in his thoughts seemingly materialized from nowhere.  There were two warring emotions once he registered that she was actually here, relief that she was alive, and a fresh wave of anger that she had wandered up to him like nothing had happened.  He settled for something in between.  "Well, well, look what the winds have blown in," River said, his voice holding a lightly sarcastic tone.  He couldn't help it, their parting hadn't exactly been on terms he preferred. 

Glancing around, he shrugged at the question.  "Oh, fine.  Been buried in the library of course, hunting around for more lore.  Found one that allowed me to see the past…  regretted doing it, but what's done is done.  Found more lost souls that I was able to set right.  You know, the usual," he said in a conversationial tone.,  She knew of his work with spirits and ghosts, but most people were at least a bit disturbed by his work.  And if it wasn't his words, it was the bracelet of bone and crystal charms he was never without.  He fidgeted with the bracelet for a moment before finally turning and facing Mirannda.  "You look well.  I can only assume you've been staying in trouble?" he said with a trace of a smile finally crossing his face.

A part of him wanted to ask her to dance, but River was conflicted.  He wasn't sure how tonight would go, or even how he might want it to go.  For now, he planned on being cautious.  He needed to gauge her reaction, read her body language, and calculate what he wanted to do.  And of course see what Mirannda might want to do.

Nix

Character Info
His sarcasm was not a pleasing tone, causing the phoenix to grimace slightly. She caused this. It was clear that River still held some sour disposition to their last pasting. Despite what some would believe, Mirannda was truly regretful. Perhaps leaving in that manner did more harm than good. Emotions whirled inside, twisting her heart, tears pressing to be released. Yet her face was controlled now, a light concern, true interest in him.

She listened to him talk about the library, and his recent learnings. Questions sprang to mind. What was required to see the past? Why did he regret what he saw? River fidgeted with his bone bracelet, the movement of his deft fingers drawing her attention. Mirannda never minded the accessory, or anything about his occupation, and only now began to wonder if there was some significant meaning or reason to it.

Finally, there was that smile, even if it was faint. An answering smile lit her face. ”Always. My gift of rebirth has cursed me with eternal servitude to a vaewolf, but she's nice enough.” She wasn't sure how telling him about Dalanesca and her swearing of fealty slash championship to the goddess would go over. For now, she opted to skip that conversation. Especially if she wanted to convince herself that he would never be a one night stand.

Her expression sombered slightly as she thought about the last ball. ”River, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you like this. My past is not kind when it comes to friends and relationships. For once, I went against my heart in an attempt to protect you against myself, but…” Mirannda sighed. Her gaze was cast to her hands, one cupped in the other, palms up. There was no fidgeting, just completely still as her heart beat hard in her chest. ”I've always liked you, River, and I hated leaving. I must have started a hundred letters…”

River

Character Info
His eyes shifted for a moment in time to catch the grimace, but he did not regret his words.  River had found that it was better to say what was on his mind, rather than try and bottle things up.  Too many times he had seen a minor argument blow up into something much worse.  His head tilted slightly at the mention of a vaewolf, it was a term he was only vaguely familiar with, but she was evidently not too concerned.  "Eternal servitude to someone who is nice enough.  Hopefully she stays that way.  Though you're one of the last people that seems to need rescuing.  Just a little help now and again," he said, his tone shifting to more warmth towards Mirannda.  It was something he admired in her, a strength of character that she was a maiden who didn't need rescuing.

Then she apologized.  River had a feeling that was something that might be coming, but he still wasn't wholly prepared for it.  Her stillness was unsettling, but spoke volumes to him.  There was no attempt to misdirect, nothing that said she was trying to cover anything up.  He couldn't help but believe her words.  "I started more than a few as well…  But I thought it best you have the space you needed.  We both have things in our past that… affect us.  That cause us to make foolish decisions.  But perhaps we might do better working on those things together?" River suggested.  It was a big step, he had kept the struggle for his memories close to his heart, but perhaps it was time to share them.  And perhaps if they shared their struggles, they would both come out stronger for it.

Nix

Character Info
There was warmth returning to his voice, which brought a small smile to her lips. However, a soft chuckle escaped her throat. ”Wait till you meet the Volkov's. I literally have an invisible leash, and I actually fear the Lady's wrath. Even her husband seems to fear it.” If it wasn't for her rebirthing with Nemesis still in the room, she'd not be bound to Celeste. As with her fear of Sin killing her consistently for “experimentation”, if Celeste had half a mind, Mirannda would end up cursing her heritage.

She reached out to grasp him hand warmly with a genuine smile. Only certain people brought such honest reactions from her, and he would always be the first she would remember since DaeLuin. ”There is nothing I'd desire more, for past, present, and future.” Mirannda leaned in to kiss River on the cheek. How she had longed to return to him far sooner. To have him here and now was almost a gift. And in her connection to the goddess, she found it difficult to actually control her own desires for him. Which, if she stopped to think for a moment, was a first for her.

River

Character Info
The name she mentioned didn't tick a memory in his head, but River was not surprised.  He dealt more often with the dead than the living.  And he wasn't wholly sure he did want to meet them.  "Hm, that meeting could be interesting.  She sounds like an interesting soul… not too unlike some of the ladies of my family.  Wrath and kindness wrapped up together," River said with a chuckle.  There were more than a few names that came to mind with that description.  But he still found a bit of wariness in meeting yet more women who seemed to share a kindred spirit with his family.  But that was a bridge to cross later.

There was a slightly curious tone to her voice that made him wonder just what else Mirannda had been up to in the past year.  But perhaps he would find out.  And the kiss on the cheek proved distracting to attempting to question just what she might have been up to.  A welcome distraction.  "Well, perhaps we should concentrate on the now.  I think I've been brooding here for quite long enough.  Care for a dance?  Hopefully no obnoxious vampires will interrupt us this time," he said, a genuine grin finally showing on his face.  He stood and offered Mirannda his hand, then pulled her out onto the dance floor.  He preferred to keep to the edges so he could also watch the other people.  And it was less likely he would be surprised by anyone unpleasant.

The music playing had an Elvish lilt to it, encouraging graceful movements.  "So tell me, what else have you been up to, Mirannda?  I keep finding myself in dusty libraries and catacombs, I think that's why Bryony threatened to drag me here if I did not come willingly," he admitted with a rueful grin.  And Bryony would have done it too.

Nix

Character Info
He was distracted by the kiss, something she was quite hoping for. Mirannda smiled sweetly at him. ”I thought you’d never ask,” she said with a giggle. Hand placed in his, she stood with him and gracefully followed him with a major sway to her hips. The music stirred fond memories, sweet moments in time when she was allowed the freedom to smile without fear. Even then, they were few and far between.

Of course, he already knew part of that story. While he was no elf, River dance with elegance she had seen primarily in noble born men and elves. It was only at these balls that she realizes how much she truly enjoyed dancing. This was far more elegant than swordplay, and less dangerous in a physical sense. Of course, there was always politics that can be brought into play, of this she was acutely aware. Yet there was no room for that here tonight.

An all too knowing smile spread on her face at his question. Naturally he was researching, and she vaguely remembered the name. A mentor, right? She would have to thank them later for this chance to apologize and patch things up between her and River. ”A little of this, a little of that. I met the goddess of death. As a phoenix, that was the last thing I wanted, but we have come to an understanding.” She allowed for a moment of silence, as she contemplated his reaction.

Mirannda leaned in and rested her head on River’s shoulder, face turned so that it was tucked between them. ”She made a very tempting proposition that I simply could not refuse. So I became her champion.” From here, she could listen to his heart. In truth, she was worried about his reaction. Sacrificing her ability to gauge his facial reactions, she waited, biting her lip in anticipation.

River

Character Info
There was a great deal of enjoyment in the simple, graceful movements, and River found himself relaxing.  And the conversation kept his mind going, and it was nice to catch up in a place where he was sure they wouldn't be interrupted.  To him, meeting the goddess of Death seemed oddly fitting for a phoenix, tied as they were to a cycle of life and death.  "It seems like a fitting goddess for you to meet, in my mind.  I've heard of her, so I would imagine that your meeting was interesting," he said in the pause.  It was easy enough to tell that she was waiting to see his reaction. 

His eyebrows did go up at the idea of her being a champion of Dalanesca's.  That had some very interesting implications.  "Well.  As long as you are happy with the proposition and what you are getting from it, I hope it goes well for you.  I can only imagine what things you will see serving her," River said, no judgement in his voice.  It certainly wasn't his place to question her decisions, and Mirannda seemed to be thriving, at least on the surface.  He was fairly certain that if anything was wrong, it would slip out soon. 

The music changed, shifting to a waltz from Adeluna, and the three beat music was easy to follow.  "Perhaps I should pay her a visit…  I found out something of what happened with my parents.  They are beyond her realm, but perhaps not of her knowledge.  But it is trivial to one like her, I wouldn't want to be a bother," River said, the smile still on his face, but his eyes were troubled.  He wanted to meet his parents, know the people they had been.  He wanted to know how much he was like them. 

Nix

Character Info
Interesting was putting it mildly. They went and murdered a couple of murderers whose victims were unsuspecting prostitutes. Girls who would go unnoticed. "I get to be true to myself this time. I don't have to masquerade as something I am not. Make my own decisions, and not be reduced to a cowering, powerless fool. No more torture sessions just to earn a small portion of strength." Her voice was soft as her mind drifted to those not so distant dark months of her past.

River made it easy to reveal herself to him. Carefree, and truly enjoyable moments for her tend to center around this one man. While there were other nice times in her life, Mirannda realized she was happiest when she was with him. As the music changed, so did their dancing stance. The phoenix smiled up at him, a playful smile. "Anyone who can push through the nine rings is a welcome visitor. The question isn't 'are you a bother?', it's 'are you courageous enough?'. Go to her, and see what knowledge can be gleaned."

While they danced, he reminded her of her own desire to meet her parents. Why did they leave her at that doorstep? Did they even want her? Soon, her feet stopped their movement as she gazed up at River with a troubled expression to match his eyes. Those were torturous questions she could never answer. Mirannda's heart squeezed as she struggled to focus on the beautiful man standing before her. "River?" she breathed his name softly. This wasn't what she imagined, dwelling on the mountain of unanswerable questions about parents long lost with him. She shook her head slightly, trying to dislodge the unwelcome thoughts. "Kiss me."