Roleplay Forums > Parvpora > Zujiuchu Mountains > Jayou, The River City > Dangerous Business [P, R]
Anon

Character Info
Name: Anon Y. Mous
Alignment: TN
Race: Unknown
Class: Illusionist
Silver: 352
Word had gotten to the fae of the arrival of a deep-pocketed noble searching for high-quality art. Naturally, Cecil was highly curious. If he could win the eye of such a noble, his notoriety as an artist would soar. It was too good of an opportunity to miss. Nelanna had decided she needed to talk with Raziel about something, and Cecil kissed her luck as he made his way to the art district of Jayou. Of the rest of this city, this was by far the most detailed and luxurious part, which was a fitting place for any art connoisseur to meet their artists.

The noble turned out to be an elvish woman, her appearance made guessing her age just about impossible, yet it was clear she was not fresh in the younger years. Red curling hair cascaded down her back, a set of eyes like two deep pools of the calmest water. She introduced herself as Iselora Lockheart. Her husband was looking to expand his business into Revaliir. Lady Iselora was looking to secure him a home, a place fit for a man of his stature. Cecil was courteous throughout the entire meeting, showing her a small portfolio of art. They discussed commissions, prices, and the subjects of her pieces. When she grew empty of questions, Lady Iselora promised to get in touch with him when she made a final decision.

Cecil was not one to merely mingle with other artists. In fact, Cecil didn't exactly make friends with just about anyone. Those he did have a relationship with were connected to Nelanna in some form or fashion. Ensarrian and Kohaku were her familiars. Raziel was close to Ensarrian, and now there was Sanyi who was apparently Ensarrian's betrothed? There were a few he did get to know during his promiscuous years. Most of those were owners of brothels and bathhouses. A few were chefs and tailors. All of them were business-related. Nelanna were due to meet him here any minute, however, and refused to drift far from the spot. When she found him, he was browsing some beautifully crafted and delicate jewelry.

Nelanna Fox

Character Info
Name: Nelanna R. Fox
Alignment: TG
Race: Elf
Class: Former Warden of the Wilds
Silver: 407
While Cecil was out on business, Nelanna had visited Raziel. She had been worried at the start. For a little while now the elf was experiencing odd behavior from her body and noticed a few changes. Her concern was that she may have been ill, but after careful consideration, she suspected otherwise. The signs had been obvious: morning sickness, spotting, swollen breasts, only to name a few. The symptoms were not enjoyable in any way, but they were signs of something good. Raziel was always the first person she goes to with expertise in the medical field, and the little angel had confirmed Nelanna’s suspicions to be true. Nelanna had burst into tears of joy when she was told she is an expecting mother. She and Cecil had been trying every chance they were given since she stopped taking the potion that kept pregnancy from her, and their work and patience had gifted them with their first unborn child.

Already she was beginning to have that motherly glow to her. More tears prickled at her eyes as her beaming smile broadened, but she fought to shed any more tears before telling Cecil the news. A hand rested lightly on her belly as she strolled through the streets of Jayou in search of her dearly beloved, her husband. She could only imagine Cecil’s reaction when she tells him that he is going to be a father. Would he brag about it to everyone they know? Would he scoop her up in his arms and tell her how happy he was? She giggled at the thought and gave her belly a gentle rub before letting it rest at her side.

Finding Cecil wasn’t very difficult. A man as handsome as him was hard to notice even in crowded places, so asking around proved to be very useful. He was at a stall vendor looking at jewelry, seemingly unaware of her presence. Her smile softened as not to give away her excitement yet, and she gave his shoulder a light tap to catch his attention. “You haven’t been waiting long, have you?” She asked, eyes dropping to the jewelry then back up at his beautiful sapphire eyes. “How did everything go with your client?”

Anon

Character Info
"That is a beautiful piece. As always,you have good taste, Cecil. Spun gold, intricate details, purest diamonds. Perfect for that lovely wife of yours." Cecil had to agree, it was beautiful and perfect. But he feared how she would react to his purchase of such an expensive piece. "Yours for a painting of a sunset in a forest." The fae chuckled. "I wouldn't claim to be that renowned for such a trade. How is Cameron?" If he hadn't known the girl as he did, Cecil might have missed the slight drop of her shoulders. "Not well. He keeps asking mother where the trees are." The fae had known what the painting was for a long while, this wasn't the first time he had this conversation with her. But Cecil did not want to tell her the painting has been his muse recently, and it was nearly done.

The way Sybil seemed to brighten told Cecil that Nelanna had returned. He winked at the girl, maybe barely twenty years old, as he continued to appear oblivious to all around him. His curious cock of the eyebrow as he turned at her tap melted nearly immediately into a loving grin as he wrapped his arms around her. "Each moment without you is an eternity, but I will wait a thousand eternities for you." tucked a strand behind her ear as he leaned down for a kiss. Nelanna was the center of his universe. If he can land this deal with the wealthy elf, then her life would be all the more set. Sybil gave a squeal of adoration as she clapped. "I dream to have a love as pure as yours, Lady Nelanna! Cecil speaks so highly of you, it's truly amazing that he ever leaves your side."

Cecil chuckled as he pulled back. "Nelanna, meet Sybil. She has inherited her parents' stall. Quite talented as well." The girl blushed as she turned to the approaching customers. The fae left his arm tucked around her waist as they began to mill about the marketplace. "My client is trying to secure a home for her husband that fits his status tastefully. I am hopeful, but I won't hold my breath. So, how did your meeting with Raziel go? Did she assuage your concerns?" How Cecil would be delighted to hear the news he was calmly anticipating. However, fate had other plans this day as Cecil heard his name being called from behind. "Cecil, I had another inquiry for you."

He straightened his back as he gently detached himself from Nelanna to turn around and give Lady Iselora a courteous smile. "Of course, Lady Iselora. How may I assist you?" Nelanna had began acting strange as he was attempting to give the noble elf his undivided attention. But his wife was behind him. Usually, Nelanna would be interested and be politely silent by his side as he had business conversations. Never has she tried to hide from his clients. "You seem distracted, Cecil. I hope this is not a bad time." "Absolutely not, Lady Iselora. May I introduce you to my lovely wife? Nelanna, this is Lady Iselora, my potential client. Lady Iselora, my wife, Nelanna Elindi." Cecil had wrapped a protecting arm around Nelanna and maneuvered her to be completely visible to the increasingly familiar woman before him.

Nelanna Fox

Character Info
Name: Nelanna R. Fox
Alignment: TG
Race: Elf
Class: Former Warden of the Wilds
Silver: 407
Nelanna hummed happily in response, holding Cecil close. Her heart swelled with warmth, and then they pulled away only for him to kiss her. She could not help giggling a little against his lips, not from amusement, but joy. Cecil always showed her what she meant to him, spoiling her with his love and attention. She liked to imagine his reaction when she tells him the news. Nelanna did not want to wait. But they were in earshot of others, and she wished to tell him when they are more alone. The squeal and clap was a reminder that the time was not now. She broke the kiss and blushed at the girl’s words. “Yes, and Cecil is an amazing man,” she replied with a loving look at her handsome Fae.

She dipped her head in greeting when Cecil introduced her to the young girl. “It is a pleasure,” she said to Sybil, and as they turned away she wished the girl good fortune. Nelanna had been unaware that Cecil made friends over here, but she was happy for him. He was making his own dreams come true. And she could not be more proud. He put a hand around her waist, an act that she copied, and he took her further down the streets. She listened as he gave her a brief telling on his client, nodding in agreement with his hopes. The elf wanted him to be successful and happy. He threw his own question at her, and she refrained from giving away her surprise with a too large of a smile. “Well, I am not ill,” she began.

Another voice suddenly called out to Cecil, preventing Nelanna from going on. She stifled a sigh of impatience. She needed to be his obedient wife and remain silent as he worked with his clients. But as she turned to offer his client a friendly smile, all color drained from her face. She knew those perfect red curls, the curve of the woman’s mature face, and those dangerously misleading sky blue eyes. It was the woman who stood by and watched as Nelanna’s father beat her, the woman who cured Nelanna’s wounds only to hide evidence. She would accept no thing short of perfection, tolerated no freedom of thought, will, and action. Nelanna was never a true daughter to her, only a doll put on display. Property, and nothing else. Why her mother was there, Nelanna did not know. She only cared that she was, and she needed to get away.

She moved behind Cecil, head kept low, hoping that she would not be recognized. To her horror, however, Cecil forced her out of hiding. It was not his fault, she never told him much about her past, hoping to leave it behind. What a mistake that was. Nelanna was frozen as she stood before her mother with wide eyes, nought too dry to speak. Iselora smiled at Nelanna, not recognizing her until her name was spoken. Iselora blinked with disbelief. “Nelanna?” She repeated. A few more heartbeats, and then it sunk in. “Nelanna, my darling, is it really you?” She came closer, movements slow and careful as she placed a hand on Nelanna’s cheek. She stiffened at the touch. “Hello… mother,” she managed to say. Iselora beamed and pulled her in an embrace. “My sweet child! When you vanished, I feared the worst had happened to you!”

“I am alright. No harm came to me,” said Nelanna, her voice sounding forced. Iselora pulled back with a smile of relief, “Yes, I can see you are doing well. But what happened to you?” Nelanna gulped. She could never tell the truth, that she ran away. “I don’t recall,” she lied. “I only know that I was in bed, then I woke in a forest. I could not find my way back home.” Iselora raised a brow, looking baffled, “How odd. I would not be surprised if someone was pulling some cruel prank on us.” She smiled again and took a step back. In an instant she went from looking like a concerned mother to a professional business woman. “Well, the important thing is that you are well, and you are here with me now,” she took Nelanna’s hands in her own, a soft smile so warm that even Nelanna was nearly convinced. But this was her mother, Iselora Lockheart, master of deceit. Nelanna could not afford to believe a word she says, or a smile she offers.

Nelanna tried to regain her composure and straightened herself. “What are you doing here in Revaliir?” She asked.

“Your father and I made a new contract to expand the business further. But since our new partner is so far from our home, we have to build our new headquarters someplace closer. So, we moved here.” Nelanna’s heart dropped. “That’s… wonderful news,” she forced herself to smile. It was the hardest thing she had ever done. “It truly is,” her mother agreed. “Your father took it hard when you vanished. The business suffered because of it for so long. He will be overjoyed to learn that you are here.” She placed a hand on Nelanna’s cheek once more, her eyes ever so soft. “Nelanna, won’t you come home with us? Your father and I miss you so very much.” Nelanna’s breath halted at those words as images of her childhood came rushing back. How could her mother ask such a thing of her? Did she truly believe that her and her father’s actions were so in the right that Nelanna would ever wish to return? She knew going against her mother’s wishes was a dangerous game, but Nelanna was no longer playing alone.

She looked at Cecil for a second, summoning the courage to step towards him, and away from her mother. “I am sorry, mother. But I am a married woman now. My home is with Cecil.” She almost choked from fear as she spoke, holding herself tight around his arm for comfort, and protection. Iselora’s eyes flashed as she looked at Cecil, then they turned ice cold. She straightened herself, “I see. Well, if that is all, the it can be easily fixed.” Nelanna creased her brow, her fear replaced with anger, “Excuse me? You say that as if marrying him was some kind of mistake.” Her mother laughed, “Come now, dear. You cannot possibly believe that this lowly painter can give you the things you need, the best of everything.”

“I do not need wealth. All I want is happiness and love, something you and father never cared enough to give, “Nelanna retorted. The look of pure anger on her mother’s face warned her that she had gone too far, but it was too late to take it back. Her mother could say whatever she wished about Nelanna, but she would not tolerate anyone disrespecting Cecil. “I will have you know that Cecil is the child of Oberon, King of the Fae. He is not a lowly anything, and I will not allow you to treat him as such.”

“What kind of Prince soils his hands with paint?” Her mother laughed again. “Someone of royal blood would have no need to paint for money.”

“It is what he enjoys. It has nothing to do with money. I love him with every fiber of my being, and I fully support whatever makes him happy,” Nelanna took a defiant step closer to Iselora. Her eyes matched the hard glare her mother was giving her. “I can find you a noble man that you can love just as well and gives you so much more than this”— she looked over Cecil with disgust— “street beggar.” Nelanna could see Cecil getting puffed up. She placed a hand in front of him to hold him back. Then, she continued, “I could never love another man. Cecil gives me all I ever wanted. Love, warmth, a comforting home, a family.” She bit back anymore words, realizing she had revealed too much. But it was too late. Her mother narrowed her eyes at Nelanna, “What do you mean?”

Nelanna glanced at Cecil apologetically, regretful that this is how he finds out the news. “I am with child,” she replied to her mother. Iselora gasped and placed a hand over her heart with shock as if she had been struck. Then, her surprise was gone as soon as it came, replaced with fury. “Ungrateful child!” She shouted. “After all that your father and I have done for you, this is how you repay us?! You soil our name by standing at this man’s side, and now you have disgraced us by carrying his child!”

“I am a grown woman,” Nelanna snapped, placing her hands over her belly protectively. “I do not need you to tell me how to live my life! I can make decisions on my own.” Her mother snorted, hands balling into fists. “Just because you can, it does not mean that you should. Your father and I made your decisions for you to prevent you from making mistakes such as this.” Her eyes turned black, and Nelanna’s blood turned cold. She knew those eyes, the magic filled eyes of the feared Witch of the Lockheart Manor. “Sô as yaôu rëmar wëetch tchëes mád yaôu shall nh ôt sharrya hëes shhëeld,” the words were spoken in a language that her mother had never taught Nelanna, the language of their ancestors, the Ancient Elves.

As swiftly as it came, the black magic faded from her eyes, leaving nothing but cold a cruel blue. “You will not find the happiness you seek with this man. You will soon realize your mistake, and how much you truly need me.” With her venomous words spoken, Iselora turned and walked away. Nelanna did not know the meaning of her mother’s words, and that frightened her the most. She made an enemy out of her mother, made her use magic. What did her mother do to her? The ground seemed to sway under her feet, and she collapsed. Her entire body trembled with fear, unsteady arms barely holding her up as she stared at her hands wide eyed.

“What have I done?”

Anon

Character Info
Lady Iselora recognized Nelanna, something Cecil had not anticipated when he pulled her from hiding. Interestingly enough, Nelanna meant more to Iselora than some long lost acquaintance. He could see the affectionate touch of Nelanna’s cheek but felt the stiffening of her body beneath his arm. This woman did not hold dear memories for his beloved wife. The word mother sounded hollow, unaffectionate, yet spoke volumes to him. While this was the woman that bore her into this world, it was also the woman who abused Nelanna in her younger years.

He had a really nice impression from their initial meeting. Now, it was shadowed by the evils of the past. Cecil could only see the black, twisted soul beneath the mask he was introduced to. When Iselora pulled Nelanna into an embrace, it was all he could do to hold himself back, to keep from clutching his wife to his side. To the outside viewers, it was as if the fae was transfixed by shock. Nelanna lied to her mother, something he did not hear her do very often. But he has been so spellbound with everything about her, he wondered if Iselora could tell, especially with being separated for so long.

Whether or not she knew of the mistruth, the elder did not show any inclination of the fact. Instead, she merely waved the lie away as some cruel prank. Abduction was no prank, it was a serious crime and usually followed by ransoms or demands. Cecil wanted to remove those perfectly smooth and biasedly ugly hands from his wife’s own. He wanted to tell her to leave now, to leave Nelanna in peace. Unless he spoke up, he was sure he was forgotten entirely. The fae, however, knew his wife needed to fight her own battles. Oberon was his and could stand with the comfort of her support. In this, he would do the same and allow it to play out for now.

A sense of unease settled over him at the thought of Iselora and her husband moving to Revaliir. That put them far too close to Nelanna, bringing her closer to an unpleasant couple. If they were anything like his father, they would not hesitate to reattempt their manipulations of their daughter. Cecil frowned. Were they really so conceited? Everything revolved around appearance and money. Then came the question that twisted his heart painfully. He knew that Nelanna could never agree to such a request. It was the thought of her not being with him that hurt most. As she hugged onto his arm, his free hand rested gently on her own, and he smiled down at her with pride.

This was her fight, he realized. Just as she stood by him while he stood up to Oberon, Cecil would give her all the support she required as she faced her mother. Still, he caught the instant change from Iselora as she regarded him in a new light. ”Excuse me?” he said in unison with Nelanna, shock, and disbelief coursing through him violently. Everything he had wondered about Iselora before was heavenly compared to the words that came out of her mouth. Lowly painter? He was no lowly painter! Nelanna had the best of everything, and not because of the money he made, but because he insisted upon it with every purchase and plan. Was the woman so blind she could not see the details in the master seamstress’s work that hugged her frame so beautifully?

Nelanna gave her response as Cecil frowned at Iselora. Anger boiled as he listened, fighting hard to keep himself under control. If it wasn’t for Nelanna, Cecil would have exploded upon the woman. A prince can do as he damn well pleases! An arranged marriage takes time and effort to build but a small fraction of affection of true love. There was nothing real about it. But Street Beggar?? Who came to him for his talent?! Who came inquiring as a rich beggar? Then it suddenly all melted at her apologetic glance. Did she mean–?

He was shocked once more, tongue held by the fear of a single word making this hope untrue. All serenity that should have come with the knowledge was dashed to pieces as Iselora raged. Cecil instinctively moved to pull Nelanna behind him, to stand between his now pregnant wife and her biggest threat. ”Coccydynia!” It was the only word he could get out before Nelanna interjected. ”No, you just wanted to control how others perceive you, but it’s all just a farse!” The fae glared at the woman as her eyes went dark, mentally preparing for an attack. Words rolled off her tongue, heavy with magic, yet slipped past him without a mark.

While he wanted to glare after the woman, to yell profanity at her, and more, his concern was Nelanna. Cecil turned to her, catching her as she fell. Cherie? Are you okay? Did she hurt you?” He pulled her into a tight hug, comforting her as best as he could as soon as he found she was not in any physical pain. ”Whatever happens, I will be here. We’ll make it through whatever it is she did to us. We’ll be fine.” Cecil wasn’t sure if his words were more for her or himself. But he suddenly felt lost. ”Let’s go home… Get some rest…”