Hint: Hover over a field name if you want to know what it's for.

Author: Raize, Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:15 PM, Post Subject: Hunting the Hunter [P/R]

As Angela left, Rhenakos merely put his head into his hand. Xeik watched in horror as Mia and Raine started to dance around.

“Mia…no more, please…:” the divine healer pleased. “I don’t think I can handle what comes next…” The rest of the night seemed to go on forever as they enjoyed the free time they had. The bar tab seemed to skyrocket, but Lewis and Simone decided it was worth the payment, and offered to take it on.

With that offer on hand, Rhenakos got everyone another round of what they were drinking.

When the morning came, Rhenakos found himself in one of the smaller rooms. On his bare chest was a sleeping Osiria, who was cuddled up to his warmth. He wrapped his arms around her, and merely enjoyed her presence.

There was a note on their door. Lewis and Simone had taken Izzy back to Toya, and had offered to take care of Reva for the next day. Rex and Hazel had gone back to Sularia. Xeik and Mia were nowhere to be found, but the two knew how to take care of themselves.

That meant that Rhenakos and Osiria had the rest of the day to themselves.

“Let’s make the most of it,” Rhenakos said with a smile.

Author: Osiria, Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:09 PM, Post Subject: Hunting the Hunter [P/R]

Osiria snuggled back up to him and chuckled. There was a look on her face as she looked up at her grandmother, “Hey, Old Bag.”

“Watch it Os,” Angela sighed a bit. “I just did a great favor.”

“If we have any more babies… can they have blue eyes now?”

Angela thought about it, “I guess I can make it happen but you are really thinking about it?”

“It’s the alcohol. I was just curious,” Osiria took Rhenakos’s shot from him and did it for him.

Watching Raine… There was a smirk on Angela’s lips, “If I remember right Xeik… You are Raine’s special little babysitter. I have to go back the triplets are getting into trouble now… So please take care of my Raine.” Angela bowed to Xeik.

Mia, on the other hand, had asked for something to knock lycanthropes on their asses. Pointing from Rhenakos to Osiria who were well on their way to being drunk. She got handed something strong and soon she was dancing with Raine.

“Whoa, you are right Mia… Xeik is a sourpuss! He doesn’t like to relax and drink. I bet he would drop to the ground in one drink!” Mia nodded and huffed at Xeik.

Author: Raize, Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:03 PM, Post Subject: Hunting the Hunter [P/R]

Xeik growled at Angela as she walked away with her smug look, but let it go for now. There would be retribution later.

Rhenakos was about to go with red again, but Osiria made her point loud and clear, and he let out a long sigh. He looked at Lady Angela, and nodded. “Blue. Like a waterfall.” He nuzzled her. “She seems pretty adamant.”

“Blue it is,” Angela said as she twirled her finger.

It was almost instant. He looked around, blinking a few times. “Wow…this feels…” He smiled. “That’s amazing! I didn’t know you could do things like that, Lady Angela!”

“SHE CAN DO A GREAT MANY THINGS!!” Raine said again, raising her mug as she started to dance around the bar.

“Oh gods,” Xeik said as he stood up. “Can you…take her back, Ang? Before she makes a mess?”

Author: Osiria, Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:56 PM, Post Subject: Hunting the Hunter [P/R]

Hazel smiled up at Rex, “Yeah… Kinda.”

Osiria snuggled up to Rhenakos as they walked out and squeezed his hand. His apologies were enough for right now.

Raine swooped in, “SHE CAN DO A GREAT MANY THINGS! However, it takes a lot of energy to do it in Parvpora so she can’t do it often. Like Xeik said.”

Osiria was doing a shot for Rhenakos’s shot and her face was flushed as she sat on his lap. Rhenakos’s arm was tight around her lap as if not to let her escape him.

The door slammed open, “I can make a new eye right now. It can do everything his demon eye did but it won’t possess him or make my grandchild cry.” Angela was glaring at Rhenakos now but first, she detoured and slapped Xeik hard upside his head. “DON’T YOU START.”

After being pleased she walked up to Rhenakos, “What color?”

Before Rhenakos could answer Osiria opened her mouth, “Blue you fucking moron. Choose blue… like the waterfall. That blue.”

Author: Raize, Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:45 PM, Post Subject: Hunting the Hunter [P/R]

Once it was all out of her system, Rhenakos was holding Osiria as she cried. It was all he could do not to cry along with her, and he merely squeezed her tighter, whispering apology after apology to her. The reasoning behind it all could come later. For now, they were back together. Soon, though, Osiria stood up, and the two walked hand in hand out of the ruined tavern.

“Aww, it’s kind of cute,” Rex said sarcastically, taking Hazel’s hand.

“It’s gross…” Izzy replied flatly.

Xeik sighed, looking at the state of the tavern. He cleared his throat, and stomped his foot on the ground, yelling at the sky. Everyone around him jumped, surprised that his voice could get so loud.

“HEY ANGELA! GET OFF YOUR LAZY ASS AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!” At once, the tavern seemed to rebuild itself.

Rhenakos and Osira stared in surprise. “She….she can do that?” He wondered just how much he could have saved in reparations from bar fights.

“Eh…every so often,” Xeik said. He turned around, and was immediately slapped by a surprise vine. “OH DON’T YOU START!”

Soon, Lewis, Simone, and Raine joined back up, and they all found themselves in the tavern proper with a round of drinks. With all of them present, the whole ordeal was presented, and explained. By the end of the tale, Rhenakos was six pints in, closely followed by Rex, who was five.

“So, Xeik,” Rhenakos asked, his face a little flushed from the alcohol. “What…what does this mean for me?”

“Well,” Xeik said as he nursed his second drink. “We can get you a new eye. Past that…the demon blood that you have doesn’t just magically go away. Whatever you got from it is permanent. The only thing that might change is that your eye won’t burn out. It’ll be the eye socket instead. Which might hurt more…”

“Oh joy…” He downed the sixth drink, and raised his hand for another.

Author: Osiria, Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:34 PM, Post Subject: Hunting the Hunter [P/R]

“RHENAKOS YOU FUCKING MORON,” Osiria came flying at him, literally in her phoenix form, kicking him into the tavern ruins. “I don’t love you?! Are you a fucking idiot?!”

There was literal fire leaving her lips as she stepped on his chest and let her heel go into his chest, “You moron, I love you so much that Raile told me to go. He has Reva. Mia came and got me because clearly only one of us can knock sense into your dumb ass.”

Finally, she calmed down and her form changed as she fell on him and beat his chest with her fists. “How can you just leave me again like that?” She was crying as she slapped his face hard once. “Of course I love your stupid ass why else would I put up with you?”

Osiria hated to cry and yet here she was in front of everyone. “I even cried in front of Izzy, Rex, and Hazel. Take responsibility moron.”

Author: Raize, Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:29 PM, Post Subject: Hunting the Hunter [P/R]

When the three arrived, Rhenakos was sitting at the ruined front of the tavern, with Izzy resting in his lap. Rex was to his side, also resting, but his eyes were open, as if waiting for something else to go wrong.

“Well look who it is,” Rhenakos said as Mia and Xeik arrived. His eyes went to Osiria, and there was a mix of longing, followed by an eyes wide. “Oh shit. Rex…take Izzy quick before-”

Rex was already on it, pulling his sister away from Rhenakos as the demon hunter stood up.

“Osiria…” He held his arms out for a hug. “You came, even though I told you not to. You really do love me don’t you.” His words were genuine.

Author: Osiria, Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:23 PM, Post Subject: Hunting the Hunter [P/R]

Osiria heard the words coming from her mother-in-law. Literally, her mother-in-law. “You know the way I see it is…” She cradled her own face, “So many women would kill to be in my position.”

“What the hell are you talking about?” The mother looked at her.

“Killing their mother-in-law of course. You tried to hurt my children. You did hurt my husband.” She took a step forward. “You hurt my pride as a fucking wife.” She had flames in her hand as she slammed it into the mother’s face listening to her scream.

“HUNT THAT FUCKING DEMON BITCH DOWN,” Osiria yelled. “I’m going to fucking kill him for disrupting my family!” She looked around.

“Wait,” Osiria’s eyes got wide. “The fucker from earlier…”

The mother started to laugh, “Your kids are probably dead.”

“WHAT?!” Simone and Osiria both responded as they brought their feet down stomping the woman’s chest in.

“We need to get back to the hotel. We’ll get the demon later. The kids first.”

Mia shifted into her four-legged form and pulled Xeik on her huffing at Lewis and Simone. “Right…” Simone looked at Raine. “The three of us should make sure the body for the demon is destroyed. Osiria, Xeik, and Mia can go save the kids.”

Author: Hellebore, Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:15 PM, Post Subject: Hunting the Hunter [P/R]

As the group fought off the other demon brothers, Rex and Izzy were somehow holding their own in the streets. The whole front of the tavern had been destroyed, but thanks to Izzy, the flames had died down and the rest of the building was still intact. Rex was barely holding on though. He had already taken several heavy blows defending Izori as she doused the flames.

“So…” Rex said, panting. “You’re what…my Uncle? Uncle Atreus?”

The crazed half demon merely grinned.

“Well, you can’t be worse than Rhenakos,” Rex replied. “Uncle Atry? Can you maybe…not hit so hard?” As if to reply, the half demon lunged forward at frightening speed, and slammed his fist into Rex. The teen tried to dodge, and ended up getting hit in the shoulder. The strike sent him spiraling back, and skidding across the ground.

Rex stumbled up, groaning. “See…a few months ago…that might have killed me,” he said, laughing weakly. “But…now, that just…tingles a bit…” Blood trickled down his arm, and it seemed to not want to respond when Rex tried to move it. “Oh…not a good tingle…”

Izzy scampered from where she had been protecting Rhenakos, drawing her short sword. “Back the fuck off!” she yelled, raising her sword. “I know how to use this!”

Atreus grinned madly, and lunged forward again, this time grabbing Izzy by the head and lifting her. She tried to fight against it, but couldn’t manage a hit. Rex roared, and tried to strike with his working arm, but was slammed to the ground. Atreus stomped on Rex with his foot, pinning him.

“Mother…will be…” Atreues started to giggle. “Mother will be happy…” He started to squeeze, and Izzy cried out in pain. “Mother will be-”

The half demon blinked. Something was wrong. He felt. Wrong. There was a man in front of him now, with red hair and a missing eye. Mother had told him to watch out for that man, that he was the scary, older brother. Mother wouldn’t be happy…no, she wouldn’t be.

Atrues’ smile faded as the remnants of his left arm fell to his side. Rhenakos had Izzy cradled in one of his arms. There was fury in his right eye as he slammed his leg into Atrues, knocking him back.

“Rex…take Izzy,” he said as he helped his son up.

Rex was merely standing in awe. “How…”

“Shut up. Take Izzy. Go.” Rhenakos growled. “Time for the older brother to teach a few things…” He rushed forward, a small black cylinder in hand.

Mia was hopping up and down, a smile on her face. The woman who claimed to be Rhenakos’ mother was cornered, with nowhere to go. Her sons had failed her, and died to the onslaught of phoenix flame.

“As long…as my Lord escaped…” She cackled. “It doesn’t really matter, now does it?”

Author: Osiria, Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:52 PM, Post Subject: Hunting the Hunter [P/R]

Mia let out a huff as she stomped her way forward before running forward full force slamming herself into someone. Xeik had let the beast loose as soon her body fully shifted into a bipedal lycanthrope form. Something she had been working on rather recently. In this form, she was even stronger and she had a bite to her bark.

Simone was doing her best to control her flames to attack the demons but she got worried about Mia. That was when Raine swooped in and weaving between the fire attacks of Osiria and Simone. There was a joyful cry, “LET IT ALL LOOSE!” The fire became rainbow as it swirled around her and she led it to where it would hit allowing it to avoid Mia.

Raine… She is out of my league Lewis.

Osiria was having the same thoughts as she flew wide and let more fire go. As she let it go Raine took control and added her own fire. The rainbow wonder was unleashing hot melting flames. Hot enough that Simone retreated near Lewis.

It’s too hot even for me to fly that close to her… She’s got too much.

Osiria was different though with her heat tolerance allowing her to get closer. Her slender phoenix form shifted into her human form. Large red flame wings were coming from her with fire armor adorning her body. Long red hair that faded down into a yellow hung from her. Others had never seen her like this but Rhenakos. She was entrancing almost immediately.

Taking her sword she whipped out fire even faster than her actual phoenix form. “I’m sorry, I haven’t been training my body like Simone. This is the best I have.” She had been so focused on Reva the last four years.

Author: Hellebore, Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:39 PM, Post Subject: Hunting the Hunter [P/R]

With the plan set, the group moved out. High above, three magnificent phoenixes circled the cliffside. Mia led the charge, with Xeik and Lewis following close behind. Both had daggers ready, and Lewis was more than prepared to back off with bow support once the time came.

They approached the hoard, but there were three silver haired men waiting for them at the entrance. Lewis skid to a halt, drawing his bow and letting loose an arrow. It whizzed past Xeik and Mia, only to be deflected by a flaming sword from the middle man.

“No hesitation Mia! Go in full force!” Xeik yelled as he threw his own daggers, forcing another block from the middle demon. Mia took advantage, weaving her fist past the guard and slamming him dead center in the face. The demon flew back. On either side, the demons tried to strike Mia, but an arrow from the left and a dagger from the right made each step back.

From the skies above, Simone let out a beautiful shriek, sending black flames cascading down from her side, with Osiria mirroring her.

Lewis cursed, readying another arrow. This isn’t good. There’s more than expected. Didn’t Rhenakos say something about killing his ‘brothers’? Just how many are there!?

Rex and Izzy were at the window, watching as best they could.

“They can win, right?” Izzy asked.

“Of course,” Rex replied. “I haven’t the slightest doubt, but-” His eyes widened as he noticed a flash of silver in the streets below. “Shit. Izzy, is tha-”

A man in the crowd stopped, and looked straight up. It was the silver haired demon from the last night. Astreus. He leapt above the crowd, a wicked smile across his face as he sent a blast of flame at the side of the building, seeming not to care about anyone who might get in their way.

Author: Osiria, Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:27 PM, Post Subject: Hunting the Hunter [P/R]

“You are going to need to stay with Rex to protect him and your father,” Osiria stood up. “I’m going.” Putting her hand on her hip Osiria sighed a bit, “We have three phoenixes. We can hit them from above while the rest of you hit from the bottom.”

Simone nodded, “Mia can go in the close encounter since she is faster and stronger than the rest of us. Xeik can provide the backup since he is more aligned for a support situation. Lewis can provide long-distance support with a bow since they will be expecting us.”

Raine jumped around and threw up her hands, “And that lets us rain fire on everyone while keeping it away from Mia!”

“How do you expect us to control our fire like that?” Osiria asked.

“Just let me worry about that! You just blast them and I’ll control it!” Raine did a twirl.

Author: Hellebore, Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:19 PM, Post Subject: Hunting the Hunter [P/R]

Lewis looked out the window alongside Hazel. “My best guess is that we have until dawn before they come looking for us.” He glanced over to Xeik, as if to ask a question. Xeik shook his head. “I thought so. Rhenakos won’t be awake until then, so we’d have to leave someone behind.

There was silence. No one wanted to be the one to say it.

“I’ll st-” Xeik started to say, trying to raise his hand.

“I’ll stay behind” Rex interjected. “I’m…useless in a fight.” He crossed his arms. “I’d just get in the way.”

Simone and Lewis seemed to nod in agreement, though it may have been less about the lack of skill and more about keeping their child safe. Even Xeik was in agreement.

“So…we hit them hard and fast now?” Izzy asked, attempting to draw her sword.

“You’re staying too,” Rex replied with a dull tone. “Even Osiria might trip over you…”

“Hey! At least I can fight!” Izzy snapped back as she fumbled with her blade in the confined space they had. “Unlike SOMEONE.”

“Now isn’t the time,” Xeik said as he tried to get between the two. “Just let it rest. Izzy and Rex will stay behind. The rest of us can move now. From what Hazel saw, they’re probably doing the ritual tonight. If we can interrupt it…”

Lewis nodded. “We can stop the whole thing before it becomes a problem.”

“So we move now?” Izzy asked, hoping to sneak herself in.

Author: Osiria, Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:09 PM, Post Subject: Hunting the Hunter [P/R]

Mia made her stops and soon Osiria was there and Raine was trailing behind. Os greeted her daughter with a hug and then hugged Rex after Simone got done smothering him.

“You’re hugging my baby a bit tight,” Simone arched an eyebrow.

“I’m his stepmother,” Osiria said gently enough before Simone nodded. She understood Osiria’s role in everything. “Well, at least by blood.” She rubbed Rex’s hair before she pulled Rhenakos into her lap and pet his hair.

“Does he even like that?” Simone asked and Mia nodded along.

“You would be shocked how Rhenakos is when you aren’t here.” Osiria frowned a bit when she looked back down at Rhenakos. “I know we fight a lot but we punched out the last person who told us we wouldn’t work. We do love each other in our own fucked up way.” She snuggled up to him.

“So you don’t go on jobs together why?” Raine asked.

“Because we suck at working as a team,” Osiria looked up at Lewis and Simone. “Lewis and Simone have an advantage because they can tell when each other are hurt. Rhenakos and I are both impulsive, meaning that we would get most concerned if we even saw the chance of the other getting hurt. It leads to fights or even more injury. We used to go even despite that but once Izzy was born I decided to retire from fighting. Just a housewife but Rhen insisted I at least kept up with things so I could help on occasion if needed.”

Hazel looked out the window, “Not to interrupt but… Should we wait for Rhenakos to wake up? Or are we going to leave someone behind?”

“I’m going to kick their fucking asses to hell and back,” Osiria blew up. “NO ONE TAKES MY HUSBAND FROM ME BUT MY HUSBAND. Who is knocked out but when he wakes up I’m going to punch him in the dick.”

“That’s the Osiria we know and love.” Simone chuckled.

Author: Hellebore, Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:51 PM, Post Subject: Hunting the Hunter [P/R]

“Favors, huh?” Rex replied. “You mean Mom and Dad.” He nodded. “I’ll…contact them. He clenched his fist as he stared down at his father. Hazel and Izzy left the room to go get food, leaving Rhenakos and Rex alone in the room.

“You know,” Rex said as he looked down at the comatose Rhenakos. “I didn’t know what to think of you when I met you. I wanted to hate you, but when I saw everything that you had achieved, I…didn’t know how to feel. Osiria. Izori. Reva. You had so much, and yet…” He turned away. “I got furious with you when I realized what they grew up with versus what I had. I had been abandoned by you.”

The young man scoffed. “Turns out…Izzy got abandoned too. You know? Xeik told me that you were trying. And I didn’t believe it. But…the way Osiria begged me to bring you back…” Rex took a shaky breath. “I realized something. I can’t forgive you for what you’ve done. I’m not strong enough to let go of that…but…I at least understand that you’re trying to do better. I can……respect that.”

Rhenakos merely laid there as the silence lengthened.

“Good talk…” Rex said through gritted teeth. “Glad we could have it… I was worried I’d miss the chance…” He could feel his eyes starting to water. “I’m sorry…that I didn’t do it sooner…”

The lycan took a moment to compose himself, and when Hazel and Izzy came back, they contacted Simone and Lewis.

It took less than an hour for the two to show up, plus Xeik. The three entered the room, with Rex getting an immediate hug from Simone.

“Moomm…” Rex complained.

“You’re smiling,” Lewis mentioned off-hand as he looked at Rhenakos. “Xeik?”

“He’s not in any danger, but…he won’t wake up anytime soon.” The Divine Mender sighed, crossing his arms. “Is that it?”

“You owe him too,” Lewis shot back. “You’re staying.”

“But Mia-”

“Is on her way,” Simone chimed in. “She made a quick stop…”

Author: Hazel, Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:32 PM, Post Subject: Hunting the Hunter [P/R]

Hazel went with them as soon as she knew she was in the clear. “Demon hunting is my specialty. It was one of the few things Rhenakos drilled in my head relentlessly. My mind and my body would be used against others so I learned young to throw upwards against mental attacks. I was strongest in that area where Rhenakos wasn’t.”

She looked at Rex and smiled at him. “Please don’t worry about me. What I need you to do is focus on yourself and Rhenakos. You are strong enough now but you still need time to train your body. You really should talk to Toya. She has Lycanthrope children.”

Hazel was running alongside them, “Rex, please don’t get mad. Izzy is right. You just need to train.” They got back to the inn and Hazel got them a room. She laid Rhenakos down and started to tend to his wounds. “There’s no guarantee he will wake up. We might have to take out the demon first. We weren’t prepped for that fight though.”

Looking at both of them she frowned, “They will definitely be coming for us. We need to be ready… We should call in some favors but it might take a moment.” She knew a pair that would want to pay Rhenakos back for a few recent favors.

“Travel in pairs for now if you leave the room. We should stay here for the time being. I’m significantly weaker in the light.” Hazel dug into her bag and threw them a few jars and some charms. "To keep demons at bay. We'll need them but keep in mind that one who I threw it on? He smelled half human. These won't work that great on him."

Author: Hellebore, Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:13 PM, Post Subject: Hunting the Hunter [P/R]

Rex tried to bolt forward, but was quickly pulled back by a much smarter Hazel. Before Astreus could react, Hazel threw a substance at the demon, which reacted almost immediately, burning his flesh. As he screamed in pain, Hazel dropped her torch and stamped out the light. As the last of the flames flickered out, Astreus recovered, looking around.

At first, Rex didn’t understand what was happening. Things were moving quickly, but Izzy was already reacting, drawing a short sword. Without a word, and without provocation, she was ready. Hazel and Izzy both had experience, which was something that Rex sorely lacked.

His eyes took a moment to adjust, but when they did he realized that he could almost see better than in the light. But now wasn’t the time to think about that. Rhenakos’ body was flying at him, and with a surprising reaction time, he managed to catch it.

“It’s light?” he said aloud, almost confused.

“Shut up and run!” Izzy yelled. At the same time, Hazel yelled for them to go.

“But Hazel!” Rex tried to yell, but she shot back her answer, determined.

“RUN YOU IDIOT!” Izzy yelled as she grabbed his arm and dragged him along. Rex turned away, barely catching a glimpse of the dark horrors that sprouted from the shadows as he left.

As the woman yelled to have the lights turned back, Astreus tried his best to ignite the flames.

“Yo USELESS imbecile,” she yelled, raising her hand as Hazel retreated. A powerful burst of mana shot forth, illuminating the cave, but the group had already made their escape.

“No matter…we can hunt them down,” she said. “Astreus…bring me the body.” She snapped her fingers. “With or without Rhenakos, our Lord shall be returned to us.”

Rex dropped Rhenakos’ body as they made it to the edge of the massive cave. He spun around, fully ready to go back for Hazel, but she already in sight before he could do anything.

“Great, Hazel!” Izzy said with a smile. “You did amazing!” She glanced at her brother. “You did…nothing useful.”

“I carried the body,” Rex retorted.

“After almost getting yourself killed.”

At this, Rex glanced away. “Everything was happening too quickly…”

Izzy scoffed, “No. It was happening in real time. Just because you’re a big, scary dog now, doesn’t mean everything magically changes. You’re still useless in a fight…”

“I’m not…” Rex clenched his teeth.

Author: Hazel, Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:29 PM, Post Subject: Hunting the Hunter [P/R]

Hazel was quick to grab Rex by the collar of his shirt and rip him back. “REX, don’t be so stupid.” She took a jar out and threw the contents on the son. It started to steam and a green fire started. “It reacts badly to demon flesh.”

Hazel looked around and before long she dropped the torch. Her foot stepped on the flame causing the lights to go out. The fire if there was any illuminating had a ghastly breeze go through. Even the fire on the brother went out. Left in the pitch-black there was an eerie green glow as tentacle came out and threw the threatening.

She was quick with her eyes a glowing silver in the pitch black. She let them have the eye but kicked back Rhenakos’s body to the kids. Her blood was spilled on the eye from her wrist before she engaged with the brother.

“Izzy, get Rex and Rhenakos out of here now.”

“BUT HAZEL.”

“I said to go now. I’ll join you soon. You’ll just be in the way.”

Hundreds of tentacles shot from the shadows all aiming for a quick attack. She was neither gloating nor happy about the situation like most people who had the upper hand.

“THE DARKNESS, get rid of it!” The woman shouted. There was a scurry for the torches to get the fires lit again.

“A little too late to realize the conductor of my magic,” Hazel knocked them all back before taking off in the direction of Rex and Hazel. “We need to go now. Let’s recoup in the inn. Tend to Rhenakos and we’ll discuss our next steps. The time for revenge isn’t now but we will need to take care of it.”

Author: Hellebore, Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:19 PM, Post Subject: Hunting the Hunter [P/R]

Rex and Izzy both snapped at Hazel when she mentioned that they were acting like Rhenakos. “We are nothing like him!” they called out in unison. It was almost scary how much they looked and acted like their father. Despite the tense situation, Hazel couldn’t help but find it amusing.

Izzy started out, repeating what she had heard from Rhenakos about the demon. “So…Daddy used to talk a lot about it. Like I said before, I really wasn’t paying attention, but he was supposed to be a strong demon. And he liked to collect things. I dunno what that means,” she said with a sigh.

“A collector…” Rex said. “Wait, isn’t Rhenakos’ eye red?” The young man crossed his arms. “That’s…a demon eye. Rhenakos isn’t a demon. Whenever he uses his power, it burns him out. It’s because it’s not natural. The demon blood mixed with his human blood…”

“From the eye?” Izzy questioned. “That’s kind of gross.”

“So the demon…stole his eye?” Rex frowned.

Hazel looked between the two. “It makes sense. Rhenakos always complained about the pain it caused him when he used magic. And…”

“His personality type,” Rex continued, “If he hunted the collector demon down, he would have taken it. An eye for an eye.”

“Is the demon controlling him through his eye, then?” Izzy asked.

“That’s a safe bet,” Hazel replied.

“So…all we have to do is destroy the eye,” Rex said confidently.

“But we still don’t know what kind of demon it is,” the hedge witch sighed. “It’s still a solid plan, though.”

They readied up, and soon they found themselves in the hoard.

The torch barely illuminated the darkness as they traveled deep in. Hazel took the lead, and soon they were on the trail. Demon Rhenakos tracks were easy to spot. There were places where it seemed like he fought back, if for a time before slowly moving forward again. Soon, they came to a side shoot of a cavern.

Sounds could be heard in the distance.

“It’s wonderful to have you back. I can’t wait…” An older, feminine voice echoed. “I’ve missed you so much. Let’s rid you of that filth…”

“The hell…?” Rex said softly. They approached, turning the corner of the cave. Inside was a large ritual altar, with Rhenakos lying at the center. There was an woman with greying hair and a crazed look in her eyes standing over him, her fingers already deep into Rhen’s eye socket.

“Oh…guests?” she said. Despite her hair, there wasn’t a wrinkle on her body. She seemed…young, yet held herself with the authority of a queen. “Be a dear, Astreus, while I work on your brother here…”

A silver haired man walked from behind the altar. It looked almost like a carbon copy of Rhenakos aside from the short cut, silver hair. “Yes, Mother…”

“The fuck,” Izzy said with a disgusted look on her face.

Rex was already clenching his teeth. “Give him back!” he yelled. “Give my father back!”

“Oh?” the woman said with a smile as she popped Rhenakos’ left eye out. “Oh my…I didn’t realize…” She looked concerned for a moment. “Astrues, deary…I didn’t realize this was family. How rude.” Her eyes turned violent. “Leave no trace. Do not hesitate. Leave none alive. Our Lord will be reborn tonight, and we shall rid the realm of this impure bloodline!”

Author: Hazel, Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:00 PM, Post Subject: Hunting the Hunter [P/R]

Hazel looked up at them, “I don’t know what kind of demon it is.” It was the best explanation that she had. “We would just get killed and your father would be forced to watch you both die which is what he is trying to avoid. The best thing we can do is come up with a plan. He has to be here for some reason. We just need to figure out what that reason is.”

She took a sip of her drink, “The demon is something we will have to plan about so I need both of you to calm down. You two act so much like him for two people who hate him.”

Once they discussed a plan of attack Hazel got some sutures, charms, and other stuff ready. She wasn’t sure what was going to work. She just knew this demon had to be strong to take over Rhenakos like this. Once they were going into the hoard she pulled out a torch and light it up. Holding it up she led the small group in.

“Just be careful… and do not trust anything Rhenakos says for now. It could have already won against him.”

Author: Hellebore, Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:52 PM, Post Subject: Hunting the Hunter [P/R]

Rex was hesitant to sit down. They had some kind of information, and he wanted to rush straight to the dragon’s horde in order to look for clues. But, the way Hazel was acting meant that it was a bad idea and that they should at least form a plan. Izzy was restless too, leaning into Rex as she tried to avoid fidgeting.

“None for you,” Rex said as the drinks hit the table. Izzy pouted. “I don’t care if Toya lets you have any. I’m not Toya….”

“Okay, spoilsport…” Izzy said with a rude tone. She was trying her best to hide the fact that she was just as impatient as Rex.

“So, is there anything we need to know about the horde, then?” Rex asked. “Or can we head straight there? Do we need to talk to someone?” He sighed, taking a sip of the drink. Ever since he had changed into a lycanthrope, things were hitting his body differently, and suddenly he understood why Jet and Hana could drink so much and still be as active as they were.

“Hazel…what’s stopping us from just going to look, if we have a lead?” he asked.

Izzy hopped up and down in her seat. “Yeah Hazel. Why aren’t we going!?”

Author: Hazel, Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:46 PM, Post Subject: Hunting the Hunter [P/R]

Hazel listened to the dwarf and what he said actually caught her ears, “Wait. Can you tell me what they looked like?”

“Well the man looked just like that kid and the girl had that one’s features,” the dwarf responded to Hazel.

“…Do you know where they were headed? These are their kids and their dad went missing.”

“Oh ho! So they did get busy… They talked about going to the dragon’s hoard. Tried to convince them not to because it’s dangerous but they had a job. Something about a demon. The man came back by himself though.”

“Thank you,” Hazel ordered a few drinks for them and sat down. “Looks like Rhenakos went back to where it all started. It really does want to torment him…” Once she saw the look from Rex she explained. “It’s using Osiria against him. He loves Osiria almost more than he loves Izzy and Reva. So much he wasn’t even going to let a demon think about having her to the point he killed her when he was crazed. If I had to say… I wonder if it is using her to beat and wear him down. It’s not like Rhenakos to just give in though… It might be Reva and Izzy that are breaking that.”

Author: Hellebore, Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:07 PM, Post Subject: Hunting the Hunter [P/R]

“I won’t give you Osiria, nor the dragon. They’re mine…” He pushed his hand against Osiria’s chest. His eye met hers, but there was not a single ounce of sanity to be found within him. “Inima….”

“I love you, Rhen.”

Rhenakos sat in the dark of the cave, his eyes closed. Why here?

Why not here,” her voice echoed in his mind. “Is this not where I was created? Where we got our start?” The cruelty in her voice. It was everything.

“Not here…” Rhenakos said as he tried to stand up.

Yes. Here.

“Why would he come here, of all places?” Rex asked as they entered the city of Baltil. The massive entryway was a sight to behold, and on any other day Rex would be in awe at the size of the gears shifting and turning, revealing the intricate inner workings of the city. Perhaps on a different day. Perhaps, with Rhenakos.

They entered the city proper, and gazed across the cliff edge. “This city is massive,” Rex commented, sound dejected. “Where do we even start?”

“Aye, what brings ye?” a rather drunk looking dwarf said as he waltzed up to the group. “Ye remind me of someone…a rather large fellow. Saw him some odd years ago. Rude fella…” The dwarf hiccuped. “Cute lass with him though. Funny guy…looked mad at the world…”

Rex scoffed, “And here I thought you were going to be a convenient lead.” He sighed, shaking his head. “Sorry. I didn’t mean to yell.”

“Ah, it’s all right lad,” the dwarf said. “How ‘bout we head to the tavern for a nice drink? We can laugh it all ‘way!”

“It’s…not the worst idea,” Izzy said. That earned her a look from Rex. “What. We can ask around and see if anyone else has spotted him.” She smirked. “Auntie Toya lets me drink. Not much though…she says it’s bad for my growth.”