Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Throat of the Moon > Great City of Mamlak > A Fair Offer [P/R/Solo]
Jabari

Character Info
Name: Jabari
Alignment: CN
Race: Weretiger
Class: Mage
Silver: 223
It had been some time since he had heard of Lord Volkov; their last encounter had not been far too pleasant since the shipment of his wife’s favorite fruit had been tampered with. Once Jabari heard back from the sniveling captain who had the unfortunate run-in with Nemesis’ enforcers, he was promptly fired and replaced. He had a business to run and didn’t need the hassle of pissing off a lord that had backed his trade business in the past.

So imagine the man’s surprise when Maalik came into the store and requested a private meeting.

Leading him into a back room, he locked and turned to face him.

“Was there a problem with Lady Volkov’s shipment?” As annoying as it was, he was about ready to proclaim another firing of his captain but Maalik shook his head. “No, no. Nothing like that.”

Then what?”

Maalik was very careful in thought for a bit, though he managed to hurry up quick; he could see that his host was starting to get irritable. An angry cat didn’t mean good news for a bird-like him. “You have heard of Lord Volkov’s ascension, right?”

Jabari had been biting his tongue, waiting for him to cough up his business here. When he did, his face shifted into confusion. “Ascension? To what?”

“A God. It was awfully random that the higher powers chose him of all possible times, but the fact remains that he reigns in darkness and fear.”

“Also, we did have a question for you. What do you think of a church that represents him being placed in Mamlak?”

“I’d say good luck getting that approved with that thick-headed king here.” With as many statues reveling Mojaku, did they think that they could just waltz into Mamlak and start building a church that worships differently? He had always believed the Volkovs to be wise, but that train of thought was simply outrageous. The weretiger grumbled as Maalik shrugged it off. “Anyways, if not in the city, probably neighboring it in some way. Just a thought really.”

“Really now? A thought?” He might have been overstepping his boundaries at this point, but he certainly didn’t care to hear such trivial things unless it affected him somehow. Why else would he be pulled into a “private conversation” away from his workers and clients?

“Yes, and we wanted to see if you would be interested in joining it.”

“Bah, do not come here with nonsense, Maalik. Tell your lord if he wants me to follow this silly idea, then come down here and let me see the face of your “god”.

Maalik stood still, staring holes right through Jabari before he felt something came over his being, making him shake slightly. “Fortunately, you are about to get your wish. How fortunate though, remains to be seen…”

“What are you…”

Within those few words, he felt himself sinking into darkness. He scratched and attempted to pull himself away and out of the abyss, but the efforts were for nothing. Maalik watched him get swallowed up and pulled out a book. “As my lord’s eyes and ears, he sees and hears everything I do”, he spoke to nothing but the air around him as he started to skim through the passages he had left off.

It was hours before he felt something in the air and relinquished his book in time to see the shadows stirring once more before Jabari was spat out from them. He was on hands and knees, panting heavily from the trip and Maalik helped him onto his feet. “Your God has a wicked sense of humor”, he breathed out, “Damn wolves were around me for what seemed like forever before he intervened.”

“Yes, he does do that a lot.”

“But you do speak the truth about him. I've learned that much but still; a church in these parts is asking for trouble."

“Dear Jabari, being who we are is asking for trouble. We will take your word into consideration though. Lord Volkov respects you enough to do that. He and his head priest will think of another location. Still…the offer stands to join us. To join something bigger than us individually…”

It would take days of careful thought but he did eventually given in and decided to join the church, if not to see how far this could all go. And more so, how much he could profit off of this.