Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Throat of the Moon > Great City of Mamlak > Honest Intent [P]
Kieran

Character Info
Name: Kieran Niel Rothslin
Alignment: CG
Race: Human hybrid
Class: Noble
Silver: 819
Mamlak, nestled against a mountain range, divided in two by life giving water. It was a place known for markets, and culture. A place that was perfect for Kieran’s current mission. About a two day walk west, further into the peninsula, was a small village that was struggling. They were in need of supplies, however, their caravans keep getting liberated by unlawful people. Kieran was not currently in favor with his father, nullifying the option to pay for mercenaries to deal with the problem. Nor was he an skilled enough swordsman to take on the task himself.

Being the son of a noble with the proper education meant he could survive should any one person attacked. However, that was the extent of his abilities. Yet, Kieran could not let the village suffer without assistance. Thus he began to make the trek for them, with the last of their coin. The nobleman was going to buy their supplies and deliver them himself. It was pre planned to have a group of men from the village to meet half way in about four days, right about the area where the attacks usually happen.

Many times, things do not go according to plan. Before he even got to the city, hooligans took everything, short of the clothing on his back. In return, Kieran felt searing white hot pain blossoming across his abdomen. The dagger was abandoned as he was left to die. It was pulled out with a grunt, a hand pressed against the wound, trying to keep the hot crimson liquid from escaping. While the failure he has been to the village threatened to drown him, Kieran knew that to repay them required his survival. For that, the young noble needed a healer.

By the time he made it to the city, his feet felt like lead, struggling to keep upright as he stumbled over each step. Kieran’s vision blurred and darkened dangerously for a second. Forcing one foot forward, blinking to clear his vision, he pushed forward. Someone was trying to guide him, another grabbed his arm to help hold him up. A door was opened, and Kieran lost hold of it all. Instantly his world was black as his body crashed in the entrance of the shop. Hair was plastered to his forehead, blood soaked most of his clothing and coated his hands, and his skin pale despite being sun kissed.

Teu

Character Info
Name: Teu Balatro
Race: Diowolf/Elf
Class: Healer
Silver: 2479
It had already been a long day and it had only barely begun. She let out a heavy sigh as she had finally entered the shop to prepare for the day. There were things to be sorted as well as restocked. Teu glanced at the list that she had started the previous day of supplies that needed to still be purchased for the store. The first thing she did was check on the healing section of her shop. More and more patients were arriving to get some sort of mending done. She was pleased that the word was getting out that proper skills were available for those in need. Still, there was the hope that more purchases of supplies would be done then her abilities.

Delicate fingers reached out and grabbed the ever growing list of necessary supplies. She ran her free hand through her hair that already needed to be redone in her usual braid. Dae had already been a handful that morning. Alairia begged to be allowed to join her in the shop though her homework had not been completed to proper levels. Thankfully, Teu had Syn watching the children to make sure the chores and homework assignments were completed. The sphinx enjoyed taking care of the single mother’s children as they listened well when her claws were out. Teu chuckled gently as she thought of the last time they were brave enough to attempt a defiance of their new guardian.

Teu walked over to one of her counters that were used to distribute medicines. With the list laid upon the countertop, she opened one of the cabinets above her to look at the labeled bottles. Hands worked quickly to redo the single long braid that tended to hang over her shoulder. That particular cabinet was in good order and did not need resupply. Just as she closed the door, the front door opened to her shop. “Good day,” she called out over her shoulder. The scent of blood hit her senses before she was able to turn around and see some of the neighbors bring a young man in with grave injuries. “To the table, quickly.” Teu rushed over to the back of the shop to grab her apron and tied in on to protect what she could of her clothes.

Sweat had beaded on the man’s face and was streaming down his skin. He was extremely pale from the amount of blood that had already been lost. As the patient was placed on the table for examination, the gentleman that had helped her newcomer made their way out. Teu would thank them later when she went for her supply run. “Sir, you are in my healing shop. Please don’t move around. I have to work on you. You can trust me. You are safe.” Her words were soft as she brushed the hair back from his forehead. Sweat soaked his hair and face. There was a fever that was already working on the man that if it set in too deeply would cause more trouble than the actual wound that had been made in his side.

She was quickly to pull back the shirt that covered the wound. Blood had slowed as the body attempted to clot the hole, but it was not doing a good enough job. Teu placed her hands over the abdomen and began to chant under her breath. Frost began to coat her fingertips up to her wrist. Healing powers seemed into the wound, but a frown formed on her brow. Her technique was flawless and powerful, yet only the deepest part of his injury began to mend. Teu pulled back to see her frost had barely made any progress. The blood continued to flow forth even if it had slowed slightly.

In a dash, the healer made moves to grab more of her equipment since the magic would not do the job for this particular patient. “Keep still please. You are doing just fine,” she continued to encourage. She pulled up a chair to sit beside him and worked on the site. The sound of a door opening did not make her move her head. “Alairia, I told you to work on your assignments.” Teu’s fingers worked quickly as she stitched up one of the sections. A young blonde girl walked to the elbow of her mother with eyes focused on the injury. “I have finished and smelled the blood. What can I do mama to help?” The little girl was determined. “Get me some more clean water. This will have to be done traditionally and he has a rather odd angled wound. Irrigate that please.” The two females worked together to get the bleeding under control. “Now I need you to place a cool clothe across his brow to help keep his temperature down.”

Kieran

Character Info
Kieran could not find the strength to lift even a hand to assist himself, let alone open his eyes. The poor sod was oblivious of everything until a sharp intake of breath and the arching of his back when suddenly his wound was cold. His heart accelarated to the efforts of the healer's magic, yet seemed to be a little strong for it. As she dashed away, his head turned, vision swiming. Though difficult to focus, he could make out the dark hair.

Whoever the strangers had brought him to came back to his side, her face wavering just over him. That concerned, serious look that set itself on her features seered itself into his mind as his eyes fluttered closed. A single, soft groan escaped as the needle pierced the sensitive, inflamed skin with an involuntary flinch. Pain meant you were alive, but he knew a lot of blood had been lost, and he burned. Healing the skin was just the start. If he lost full consciousness, would he survive? Young voice mingled with the healer's own as orders were given and obeyed.

With a struggle, Kieran opened his icy blue eyes and smiled weakly at the child as she placed a cool, damp cloth across his forehead. He managed to lift a hand and playfully tug at strand of her blonde hair. "Thanks" was the only breathy word he could utter before a spasm of pain splashed red across his sight. The injured man attempted to stifle the usual reactions of doubling over, or other actions. Instead, his hands balled into fists, one foot pressing against the table beneath him, effectively lifting his hip slightly.

Teu

Character Info
Even as she worked her emerald eyes would lift up for a mere moment to check on the gentleman that was laying on the table. He was young, and seemed to be fit despite the current condition he had arrived in. The healer had high hopes for his chances of recovery. There were no amble amount of scars upon his flesh that indicated intense levels of combat. It was possible that he was a fighter, but there were few marks to prove prolonged battle. Teu lifted her wrist up to brush away a stray hair that had fallen from her braid to get in her way. Subconsciously she was chewing on her lower lip as her fingers continued to move.

“I am so sorry,” she half whispered to the patient as he flinched from the needle. Teu hated it when they were still awake while her ministrations were made. The time was too short to put him under. It was also too dangerous to put him out with the fever that had begun. Lightly she touched the uninjured portion of his exposed chest in an effort to comfort him. “Keep your head down, sir. I promise I will finish as quickly as possible.” Teu offered what smile she could before going back to work. She was praying to the goddess of life as she continued in hopes that it would help the man’s chances.

Alairia was quick to want to help. She liked the look of the patient. He seemed nice from what she could tell even with the blood everywhere. Most children would not feel comfortable around such things, but Alairia had seen much even in her young years. Her small hands placed a cold wet cloth across the man’s brow in an effort to cool him down. Eyes grew wide as the man finally was able to open his to look at her. “Your eyes are pretty,” she responded to his thanks. A bright smile lit her face while looking at him. Gently she pet his head in an effort to soothe her patient. The healer saw how hard he tried to stifle his pain. Guild continued to nag at her for the additional pain she was causing him.

Teu smiled that reached her eyes at the notice that he had playfully tugged her daughter’s hair. The healer was proud of her daughter and the skills she had already accumulated. “Sweetie, I need you to get the bottle labeled fever reducer that is sitting out on the counter. Mix it with the water. Two tablespoons shall do it, my heart.” She glanced up to see the child running off to do as she was bid. “Sir, she is an excellent study. She will take great care of you.” Teu smiled again as she put in the last stitch. Pushing away from the table, she stood up to look closer at the work she had just completed. Alairia trotted back with the glass of water that was full of the herbal remedy. “Good job, my dear.

“Sir, I am going to lift your head up for you to drink this. It will reduce your fever as well as help with the pain.” Around the table she circled until on the left side. Very carefully her hand snaked under his head to help him sit up only in the slightest. Glass was held to his lips for him to drink the substance. “I am sorry for the bitter taste, but it will help.” Once it had been consumed, Teu set him back down though this time with a comfortable pillow to rest on.

She took up a more comfortable seat beside his head to watch him as she cleaned her hands with sanitizing clothes. “I never got a chance to introduce myself. I am Teu Balatro sir. I am sorry you were injured. Do you have the strength to tell me what has happened to you?” The child had brought her own chair to sit next to the patient with her hand resting lightly on the edge of the table. Pride shone on her face at how the cloth was placed properly and potion consumed. Of course his recovery would be due to her efforts instead of her healer mother.

Kieran

Character Info
He stared up at the ceiling, gritting his teeth. The usual curses flited through his thoughts against his immunity to magic. How much of this would be over with by now if that was not true? It took much of his concentration just to control himself that he couldn't respond to her efforts to soothe him, nor attempt to make small talk with the young one. She shouldn't be witness to such things, but it was how good healers are raised, he supposed.

Kieran stiffled a chuckle at the mention of the child being his little nurse and whispered, "She's sweet." He accepted the help to sit up barely, enough to get the bitter liquid into him. Due to lack of ease for healing, the young noble and his siblings were accustomed to bitter medicines, even if they didn't like it. As an obiedient child, the entire concoction was consumed without fuss. The pillow was a nice touch, though, one he was not expecting. Teu introduced herself, and the effects of the medicine was beginning to set in, taking a edge off the pain.

"You didn't do it. Thieves did for coin." As the child sat down, proud of what she has done, Kieran reached over and took her hand, giving her a smile. "I'm Kieran. Thank you both. You… run this?" Even though the question was truly meant for Teu, it was spoken to the child as if she was the owner of the healing shop.

Teu

Character Info
The realization that magic healing would not work on her patient was one that she wished wasn’t true. Healing with magic allowed for fewer issues that could appear later. Teu was concerned that if he left too soon, that he would not get proper check-ups on the injury. Her touches were light despite the work she was doing. The healer attempted to keep her features neutral as she saw the pain he tried to cover up as her stitches were made. Teu’s heart went out to him even though there was little she could do at the moment to stop the pain. No magic would help him feel better. “You are doing very well, sir. Really, I am almost done.” Again she lightly touched him in hopes to sooth him.

With the stitches finished, and pleased with the results Teu had given the concoction to the patient. He was obedient with the instructions given. Such a compliant gentleman. Once her seat was taken next to him, she continued to clean off her hands with a clean towel. Her eyes flicked to the man’s exposed chest from time to time to see that his well-muscled body was bruised besides the cut he had received. Many times had she seen men disrobed in front of her for the sake of necessary healing. This time she blushed slightly and managed to turn her face away in time to hide it…at least from the patient. Alairia was able to catch her mother’s face and gave a small giggle that was hidden behind her hand.

Teu laughed at his response for her voice of sympathy of his injuries. “You must have had a decent amount of coin on you to attract such thieves.” Alaira had taken her seat and moved it as close to Kieran as possible to hold his hand tightly. Teu was shocked at how quickly her daughter had become attached to the patient. The little blonde child smiled brightly over at the man as she squeezed his hand in an attempt to reassure him. “Yes! Mama opened up the shop not too long ago.” Her smile was bright and lit within her green eyes. Teu chuckled a little as she pet her daughter’s beautiful hair. “I couldn’t have done it without you or Dae, my darling. We sell assorted medicines for in home self-care. I also can make remedies for specific ailments upon request.” She released the tie at the end of her hair to run her fingers through the slightly messed brunette strands. “I have come to find that immediate medical attentions are needed more often than not in this city. The local guards as well as citizens have been bringing in business for me to help tend. Healers of the city are higher up and away from the gates.”

Her fingers quickly began to put her braid back into order. “I am glad that you were able to get here for aid. You are aware of your magic resistance, yes? Your healing will be a more difficult road, so I will make you some medicine to continue taking.” Teu stood up and walked around the table that he lay upon to look at his wound. The blood was clotting well, though a large bruise was unavoidable with the previous bleeding. “Your shirt is ruined. Alaira, please tell Dae to find something that belonged to grandfather in the back closet for Kieran.” Her little feet hit the floor as she dropped from her chair. “I will be right back!”

Teu watched as her daughter skipped out of the room and through the door that led to their dwelling. “Where were you heading to be attacked, if you don’t mind me asking?” Teu checked the sutures one more time before turning to her work station to begin making small packets of medicine for consumption later.

Kieran

Character Info
Teu's laugh was a sweet melody, briefly sending his stomach a flutter at the mere sound of it. All too quickly, it became stone and sank harshly as a dark shadow fell across his features when she mentioned the quantity of coins in his possession. Yes, it was a sizeable amount, and none of it his own. Kieran intended to get it back, and soon. Those villagers cannot go without those supplies for much longer. ”Last of their coin…” In his current situation, he wrestled with the idea of leaving now for an attempted retrieval, or wait somewhere till morning.

He watched the woman and child interact, their love for one another clear as day. Oh, he knew well the so called strategic placement of establishments, homes, and the economic variances throughout cities. Whether she deliberately set the shop here or not remained to be seen. However, Teu was his savior for now, seeing as he may not have made the journey to the clerics farther in. Kieran sighed. ”Sadly, I am aware. From my mother's side, I'm told. All my siblings have it too.” When the child was sent away for fresh clothing, and she turned to her station, Kieran slowly sat up with a groan of pain.

”Here to Mamlak. A village two days west of here sent me for supplies. Their caravans keep getting attacked, and this was our last chance for their survival.” The noble pushed himself off the table, holding onto it until he was sure he would be fine. While his head throbbed at the effort, almost light and a definitely dizzy, Kieran stayed up. ”I thank you for your assistance, Ms. Balatro. It is on the word of my father's name, Rothslin, that I promise to repay you, as soon as I retrieve that money and get those supplies off to the village.” He gave a short bow and turned to leave. But luck was not with him as he barely made it two steps when he blacked out momentarily and fell once more.

Teu

Character Info
His still pale features darkened at her words in regards to the coin. She had made a small joke, and yet it had brought him pain. Immediately, Teu felt guilt wash over her at that realization. The healer bit her lower lip to keep from apologizing repeatedly. To bring attention to what she had said would only make it worse. Though, his words made it clear that she had triggered something. Lightly the woman touched his wrist in an effort to show her support. Inwardly she was confused why she cared so much of how Kieran was doing outside of his injuries. Teu swallowed hard the lump that had formed in her throat.

She turned her attention towards Alairia in hopes that she could refocus off of Kieran’s personal situations. Her young daughter was full of life and light despite the life she had to endure already. Teu admired her constant bright smile in the face of everything. Whenever the mother felt doubt or weakness there was a shining face of Alairia. Between Dae and Alairia, Teu had found the strength to open up the shop she had always wanted to. There had been many bumps in their path. Having finally set upon the city of Mamlak, she had seen that there was a lack of healers and shops for that focus close to the lower ends. Money was the name of the game, of course. Teu was not in it for the money, but the ability to help others.

So, all of his siblings as well as himself were resistant to healing magic. It brought the question to the surface of if that applied for combative magic? Teu’s curiosity continued to grow as she thought about it further. She kept the questions down to keep from bringing up any other uncomfortable thoughts for Kieran. Instead, she chewed on her lower lip again while coming up with Alairia leaving to retrieve some proper clothing for their patient. The healer turned to work on some medicinal packets, not seeing the man attempt to get up from his bed.

Hearing his voice speak about what had happened, though there was a strain in his words. “Further contact with the authorities from Mamlak can be contacted for help, maybe?” She turned her head to glance at Kieran over her shoulder to be shocked to see him standing up from the table. “Kieran….” Her voice trailed off as she watched him bow and speak. “Please don’t leave. You are not well enough to go.” Teu could hear the desperation in her own voice as she tried to convince him to stay. “Please get back on the table and rest. We can find help to assist the village you are talking about.” Her words did not linger long in the air as the patient slumped to the ground.

“Kieran!” The healer raced to his side and sat on the floor to check his pulse. Thankfully, it was there even though it was fainter than it had been before. The door to her home opened up to let in Dae, Alairia, and Syn. “Mother?” Dae moved swiftly to his mother’s side with gray eyes focused on helping anyway he could. “Let’s get him to the table and make sure that we keep him in a stable condition.” Alairia placed the requested shirt off to the side and went to the table as Kieran was placed back on the table. The little girl could see the panic on her mother’s face that made her look at her brother with worry. The older looking boy shook his head slightly to make his sister leave the topic alone.

Teu moved around the healing section swiftly as she went about checking his wound which did not reopen thankfully. He had lost a lot of blood, but she did not have the ability to replace it with her healing powers. Dae and Alairia remained just to the sides of their mother’s elbows in case they were needed. Both were now trained well in the healing arts to handle things when they were at their worst. It was difficult for them at young ages, but they had survived horrible things already. The three were a powerful team. Teu laid a gentle hand across his forehead and emanated a light frost on from her hand to keep his temperature down. “Please wake up,” she whispered softly.

Kieran

Character Info
Teu suggested contacting authority figures of the Mamlak governing body. Kieran didn’t know if he was going to request assistance, or try to track the hunters himself. All he knew is that he intended to make his way out of the shop and down the street. Her desperate attempt to make him stay did give the noble some pause before that stubborn streak made up his mind.

Despite being lifted, the cool hand on his forehead, and the whispered begging, Kieran did not wake up. In fact, his body was working hard to replenish the lost blood as his breathing became rapid and shallow. As the healer, sphinx and children moved about, their patient was oblivious to it all. Even when he was relocated from shop table to a bed in their personal quarters.

For hours he laid there, a worried Teu hovering over him, and kids running in and out of the room. Eventually his breathing stabilized, but the fever continued to threaten to overtake his body. A long hour after the fever finally broke did the patient finally begin to stir. It started with a scrunching of his face and a light moan escaping his throat. Unfamiliar combinations of scents filled his nose as his mind registered being in one of the softest beds he had been on in a very long time.

The village! With a gasp, Kieran bolted straight up, adrenaline now coursing through his system. ”The money!” He blinked, remembering the more recent events. Icy blue orbs rested upon Teu’s face, those green eyes, black hair. ”Teu?” Was he recalling the name correctly through the fuzzy memories soaked in pain?

Teu

Character Info
The children were genuinely surprised at the reaction their mother was having to one of her patients falling. She would be worried of course, but it was the panic that went deep. Dae and Alairia continued to exchange glances as if they were communicating telepathically. Though they were not blood related, the pair had become close. Alairia was more concerned about her mother’s state of mind currently while Dae was concerned for what it would mean later. At that time Teu was not going to think about her deceased husband, but the guilt would settle in later like it always did. The young boy closed his eyes for a second as he waited for his mother to give instructions. All they could do was wait until a decision was made.

‘We need to move him,’ a voice finally spoke out. Syn was sitting on her haunches looking at the three family members stand beside the unconscious man. Emotions were running high. The sphinx was confused as to why but it did not matter. ‘Let us take him to the rooms in the back where it can be more comfortable. He will not be waking up for a little while.’ The four legged creature stood up and edged her back against the table to carry the patient. ‘Let us get this done with so the shop can continue to function. We shall have customers coming in shortly since hours have only started.’ Teu blinked several times as she came back to herself. The healer felt shame at the emotions that had been able to overcome the common sense. “Yes. Let’s move him.”

Teu, with the help of Dae, moved Kieran to Syn’s back. The small family balanced the unconscious man on the sphinx’s back while getting to the home. They walked to the very back where Teu’s room reside. Her room was not large as the others had been allocated for the children. A four post bed was off to the side where they put Kieran to rest. Pillows were placed beneath his head and a blanket to cover him. Even with the fever continuing to push against his body, they needed to keep him stable. “Bring me the rest of the supplies please.” She sat on the edge of the bed keeping her cooling hand under the down stuffed covers to make a cooling atmosphere. Dae and Alairia nodded in unison while returning to the shop to gather what was necessary. ‘I will watch the shop with the help of Dae and Alairia on and off. Do not worry too much. He just needs to get some good rest.’ Syn put a light paw on her friend’s knee with a smile. ‘You know this.’ Teu smiled at her friend and nodded. “I don’t know why I am so upset over this. This isn’t the first time it has happened with a patient. I am just so worried.” Syn chuckled lightly and turned out of the room. ‘Do not fret too long. I will work with the children for the shop. We will be busy today…I can feel it in my bones.’

The healer took in a settling breath as she adjusted on the bedside. She said nothing while looking down at Kieran. Alairia entered the room with some food for Teu to munch on. ‘Mother, he will be okay. He has a strong heart and mind. I like him.’ Teu laughed softly as she placed a kiss on her daughter’s forehead and hugged her with her free arm. “He seems like a nice man. He will be fine.” The healer gave her daughter one more kiss as Dae walked into the room to lean against the wall. ‘We sold out of the fever reducer already. It seems there is a cold that is running through town and we are the closest and most affordable…from the customers’ conversations.’ Dae had a smirk on his face. Teu sighed and nodded her head. “I have some back up in the cabinets in our kitchen. I was preparing just in the emergency. Good job, my darling.”

Both of the children left the room to go about their duties. Teu stood up from the bed to grab a book from her table when Kieran finally bolted straight up. She was quick to return to his side and instinctually grabbed his hand to comfort him. “Hey, Kieran. You are going to be all right,” she soothed and smiled. The joy that filled her chest could barely be contained. She had to hold herself back from throwing her arms around him in a relieved hug.