Roleplay Forums > Temples > Hall of Indulgence > Good Fences Make Good Neighbors [P][R]
Serafina
Deity

Character Info
Name: Serafina Volkov
Alignment: CE
Race: Vaewolf
Class: Goddess / Female Alpha
Silver: 10153
Serafina’s messengers had been sent out with a number of handwritten parchment scrolls. The scrolls were rather vague and lacking specifics in their message, but when placed in the correct hands, their message would make complete sense.

The Infernal Queen requests the assistance of those skilled in the retrieval of lesser known and difficult to obtain items. If you possess said qualities and desire to fill the position being offered, please bring a unique offering of difficult obtention to the Second Circle as soon as possible upon receipt of this message. One of the barkeeps will assist you further upon your arrival.

It was unlike the Goddess of Death and Debauchery to request assistance from an outsider, especially for the task she had in mind. It would be up to her to make sure the chosen ‘merchant,’ if one could refer to them as such, would be vetted in full before being allowed to even know what items it was she was seeking. Of course, the compensation offered would be rather substantial. A rather hefty sum of silver would be offered upon acceptance of the job, followed by an even larger amount upon completion… and the knowledge that the merchant assisted the goddess, and she would be more likely to grant a favor if ever one were to be called in.

The list of items was far longer than what she was going to request from those the messages were going out to. Some of the items were much easier to obtain than others, and those she would be asking for were the ones that would certainly be most difficult. The information had not been disclosed in the messages, for those messages could have been intercepted by the wrong people and she wanted none of that. She was not worried for her safety, but worried for the integrity of what she was going to attempt.

Since the messages had gone out, two different recipients had come to the Second Circle, but they did not seem to understand what had been asked, as one had brought a bottle of wine crafted by one of the insect tribes of Onnen – not all that difficult of an item to obtain, other than the travel it would require – and another, a small offering of Abedian hypnotic curry, which was something that Serafina had plenty of on hand at all times. Neither were impressive enough to get them the job.

A private room off the side of the Second Circle had been set up for Serafina to hold any potential meetings with those who would come in response, and she had been sure to stay within the establishment at all times so that she would not miss out when the right one came along. This meant a lot of time in her office behind the bar, going over the lists of ingredients she was seeking, along with her plans of what they were going to be. It was unusual for her to be so focused on just one task, but this one was certainly worthy of her time.

Jasuin, the incubus that acted as Serafina’s right-hand man in all business matters and the like, was stationed at the bar full time in order to receive those that would come in. He had been much more focused on keeping the riff-raff out as of late than he normally was, in an effort to make this search as easy as possible for the his employer.

Serafina is The Infernal Queen, or The Temptress

Serafina's God Rules/Abilities
I. Serafina can manipulate anyone into telling her what they wish to indulge in above all else.
II. Serafina can summon the souls of the damned from Inferos to do her bidding in the mortal plane.
III. Serafina can alter the mood in a room or area and cause any of its non-divine inhabitants to begin acting in over indulgent, lush, or incredibly violent behavior.
Mezereon

Character Info
Name: Mezereon
Alignment: CN
Race: Elven Deva
Class: Diviner
Silver: 0
Business was slow again, but that was completely normal when you were a fortuneteller. It wasn't like you were expecting customers every day. The only time you would have steady business was during the turn of the seasons or for trivial things like engagements and weddings. Superstitious people tended to visit diviners recommended by family and friends first. And so, there was nothing for Mezereon to do but laze around all day–just the way she liked it. But even the laziest of frugal lifestyles needed money, and her time was precious. Work couldn't cut into her afternoon tea and eight hours of beauty sleep. Then there was leisure time, tending the garden, feeding Rose and Mary… Thus, most opportunities of work failed to meet her busy schedule. So when she found a notice where someone was soliciting 'buyers' for the rare and unusual, it was a welcome sight for the diviner's eyes. Leisure, divination, and shopping were all things she was very good at. And the best kind of work was the type where you weren't really working. But this wasn't exactly a formal invitation, per se. More of an initiation before getting to the good part. Now, what sort of thing would be welcomed for a collector of such things?

She would never think of just bringing something she owned, oh no. It had to be purchased and brand-new. Nobody with a brain gave gifts that were hand-me-downs unless they were poor in coin and common sense. The Second Circle was the only good establishment in Vilpamolan, so she had an idea of what they were expecting. She liked to have a nice selection before choosing the final piece, so this would take at least a few days. At the end of her enjoyable shopping spree, Mezereon was by herself in her lodgings looking over her pile of purchases. Gemstones, antiques, expensive blends of perfume, extracts of toxic aquatic sea creatures, a tin of midnight black pearl tea…well the last one was actually for herself. There sadly was a limit to what money could buy, as what money could buy could easily be bought by other people. Taking the rest of the day off to lounge on her couch with a few astrology books, she decided to sleep on it. Maybe it would come to her in a dream.

Many more days later, an idea came to her over breakfast with a rich cup of coffee. As she finished the last sip of her drink, she studied the patterns made by the coffee grounds left at the bottom. "Hmm…So that's how it is, isn't it? What a splendid idea. I think I might need to make a few more purchases after all." She went to search for an expert jeweler and commissioned a perfume bottle carved out of solid Damu ruby. She selected the gemstones herself to ensure the quality and color. The intense crimson was like fresh blood and the clarity made it so you could see through it. With the vessel now finished, she went to procure the vial's intended contents. Drops of spotted leopard cone snail, essence of spider lily, burrberry extract with a pinch of powder from the poison-feather bird. The liquid was beautifully colored and somewhat viscous, so she had to thin it out. With the cap held tight, you could watch the concoction flow from one side to another with satisfying consistency. 

Every mixture needed its own name for that personal touch. "Ah, I have just the name for you…'Mara's Kiss'. A delectably decadent vial of poison named after a decadent king." She had been tempted to name it after her father as an insult, but he might mistake it for a compliment. Placing it inside a rose-scented paper box, she tied a gold silk ribbon and prepared for her visit to the Second Circle. When she entered, the diminutive blonde woman approached the bar and placed the parchment scroll detailing the message on the counter along with the lovely box. "I have something that might be of interest to you and your lady. I do hope this little gift will suit her fancy." She pushed the box towards Jasuin with a smile. 

"Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin."
Serafina
Deity

Character Info
Jasuin heard a voice, but he saw nothing. Within a second, however, he looked down and saw the small woman standing before him. He stifled a laugh, about to offer her an elevated seat so she could see over the bar (with a snide tone, of course), before he saw the parchment scroll that she laid down upon the bar top along with the decorative box. He narrowed his eyes slightly, watching her for a moment after she finished speaking.

“You’ve received the… opportunity, then,” he said to her finally, eyeing the scroll again before looking back at her. “I must say, you don’t exactly fit the same description as the others who have come, but none have them have been to the Reaper’s satisfaction,” he explained, though it was clear that the explanation was most certainly not an invitation to hold conversation, but merely an observation. His head turned to one side a moment later. “Cassandra, let her know we’ve another,” Jasuin said to one of the other employees behind the bar. The girl, who had long, red hair, gave him a nod of understanding and disappeared through a door off the back of the bar.

Jasuin turned his head back to the new arrival. “She’ll be out momentarily,” he said, with confidence. He did not offer her anything to drink, as in his eyes she was not a customer but a prospective employee, albeit one of higher status. He was proven correct as moments later, Cassandra came back through the door, followed almost immediately by Serafina Volkov. She looked at the diminutive woman seated at the bar for a second before shifting her gaze to Jasuin, who nodded and gave her a shrug as if to say ‘yes, that’s her.’

As Serafina made her way to stand in front of the woman, Jasuin and Cassandra both distanced themselves from the two, offering some semblance of privacy. There were very few patrons in the bar in comparison to how busy it normally was, which made privacy even easier.

“So,” Serafina began, eyeing both the woman and the items she had placed on the counter. Her hands went to the intricately wrapped box almost immediately. “Are you here to waste my time as the others have, or do you actually bring something worthwhile?” she asked. Her tone was not dismissive, but rather indicative of how many failed attempts there had been at filling the request put forth in the scrolls that have gone out. “What’s your name?” she asked idly as she tugged at the gold ribbon securing the paper box.

Serafina’s eyes lit up as she removed the gorgeous perfume bottle from the paper box, inhaling the subtle rose scent that the paper offered briefly. “This is a lovely vessel, though I can’t help but think it may not contain perfume as one would believe,” she began, a devilish grin on her lips. She tipped it back and forth, watching the liquid slosh about as she did so. “Let’s have a look, shall we?” she asked before taking the cover off.

She took a faint sniff of the liquid comprised within. “You’re quite gifted at crafting poisons, aren’t you?” she said, admiring the quality of what was contained within. Without hesitation, she dipped the very tip of her finger in, popping the digit into her mouth to taste the poison.

She let out several harsh coughs rather quickly, placing the cap back on the perfume bottle. “Well,” she said, clearing her throat after a moment. “That’s rather potent… and exotic, ingredient wise. My interest is piqued. Tell me more, what makes you certain you can find what I am looking for, without even knowing what it is?” she asked, setting the container down and folding her arms across her chest. “You’ve crafted a clever poison, but what makes you… unique, beyond that?” she asked. If the answer was sufficient, the ingredients and items she sought would be revealed.

I. Serafina can manipulate anyone into telling her what they wish to indulge in above all else.
II. Serafina can summon the souls of the damned from Inferos to do her bidding in the mortal plane.
III. Serafina can alter the mood in a room or area and cause any of its non-divine inhabitants to begin acting in over indulgent, lush, or incredibly violent behavior.
Mezereon

Character Info
Though she minded her manners while the lady of the Second Circle assessed her gift, when Serafina complimented her little concoction Mezereon was elated. Clasping her hands together, she brought them close to her chest as she smiled. "It brings great joy to my heart to see milady admire my handiwork so. Although it is rather bitter, the spider lilies mixed in are psychotropic to compensate for it. The spotted leopard cone snail is known to induce powerful paralysis and the poison-feather dust is quite long lasting." Ah, she had gone a tad overboard just now. It had been so long since the diviner had a chance to chat with someone about the finer points of her favorite hobbies. The lady posed an interesting question; judging by her words and tone it would appear that she was expecting another disappointment. Her gift may have been enough to impress, but the true test would start here. Her dim golden eyes looked back at the goddess as she returned those doubts with absolute confidence. "Whether or not I know what you are looking for is irrelevant. For you see, that is precisely why I am perfectly suited for the task." 

Placing her hands in her lap, she continued. "I am a diviner, well versed in the arts of finding that which is hidden. Whether it be secrets or forbidden knowledge, nothing escapes the scrying eyes of one such as I. Except that which pertains to the gods, of course. As long as I have a single solitary trace–I will find it." Some could say that she was arrogant, haughty, too sure of herself. But the best diviners knew how to ensure that their predictions never had any mistakes. What Mezereon declared was not a boast, but a fact. And she had never been wrong before. Should the lady decide she was fit for the undertaking, she would gladly oblige. She had given her best performance without holding back. The diminutive woman knew better than to pry about what exactly she was searching for without permission. Her father's house had trained her well in knowing when and when not to speak. Now, would that be a satisfactory answer?  

"Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin."
Serafina
Deity

Character Info
A non-threatening half-smile crept over Serafina’s face as her newest visitor went on to describe, in rather excited detail, what the solution in the container consisted of. The way in which the concoction was described gave way to the fact that its creator felt very strongly about her craft, and that was something that would most certainly be a benefit for what Serafina was looking for. The things she sought were rather difficult to procure and had to be done with the utmost discretion. Someone who understood the preciseness needed in making poisons would surely understand the preciseness required in acquiring such items.

The further explanation given on what made her suited for the job was much different than any that had been offered to Serafina by any previous would-be contracts. Although the visitor had failed to give her name when asked it, Serafina allowed that to slide. Perhaps this diviner worked in such secrecy that she wished to not even reveal her name. It was no matter – if it was decided that this one in particular would be the one to make the procurement for Serafina, a binding contract would be drawn up. Even if signed with a false identity, the contract would protect Serafina from any would-be wrongdoing on the side of the opposite party.

“Very well,” said Serafina, her voice even and levelled. The expression on her face was somewhat pensive, as though she were making a decision in her mind – which she was. “As you seem to be a cut above the rest, I think that you may be just who I was looking for,” she said after a moment of silence. “Of course, your working for me will need to follow some very strict conditions and confidentiality practices. I assume you already thought this would be necessary. It’s nothing personal, of course – a formality, if you will,” she added. “Have you any further questions of me before we finalize this and I give you the finer details?” she asked Mezereon. It was refreshing to have someone stop in to undertake such a task that did not seem like an utter failure and complete waste of time.

If Mezereon agreed, Serafina had a private room set aside where they would move to in order to discuss the finer details of what it was that she required to obtain, and a small bit of information as to why. The room was adorned with red and black décor and furniture, with an assortment of food and beverages laid out as well.

Mezereon

Character Info
"Yes, I understand milady. In my line of work, confidentiality of our clientele is the foundation of a diviner's reputation." If diviners gave out the names of their customers, they would lose the most vital component of any transaction–trust. You wouldn't get far if you violated your clients' trust. Word would spread and soon you wouldn't have a leg to stand on even if your power and accuracy of prediction outclassed your competitors. You took the secrets you learned to the grave, and even beyond should someone attempt necromancy. Diviners answered to no one but themselves, unless someone of greater power so inquired. The only power above the heavens was that of the divine. But even so, diviners were not beholden to the deities. Rather than charlatans, they were ones most free from moral and worldly obligations. It would appear the lady believed she was a suitable match for what she had in mind, and when Mezereon was asked if she had any further questions she declined. "I have none. The questions I have will come after these finer details are given. Oh, pardon me–it seems I had gotten more carried away than I thought. I am known as Mezereon. I may be a diviner of little renown, but my skill will not disappoint you."

She then followed Serafina to where they would discuss what it was that the lady so desired. It had been so long since she had followed rules of etiquette. Being a recluse had caused her knowledge of good manners to fade. Choosing not to waste the lady's time with unnecessary questions had been a prudent decision on her part, she was also eager to hear what sort of thing she would be tasked to find. The atmosphere was no less luxurious here than what was available to the patrons of the Second Circle. Mezereon had no interest in the food and drink, instead she listened to what Serafina would tell her next. What sort of thing would require such strict scrutiny and secrecy? The diviner was dying to know, her dim golden eyes wide with anticipation. The more furtive the secret, the more tantalizing it would be once uncovered. That allure was what had drawn her into divination in the first place. 

Serafina
Deity

Character Info
When Mezereon and Serafina had both gotten situated in their new setting, Serafina wasted no time in sharing further details and moving the process along with who was soon to be her newest, albeit temporary, employee. “First things first,” she said, and with a wave of her hand a scroll of parchment appeared. “Feel free to read it,” she said, placing it on the table in front of Mezereon. “It simply states what I said before – what you and I discuss is in the strictest of confidence, and of course it lays out the various possibilities of punishment you could face should you break that confidentiality,” she said, straight and to the point. Another wave of her hand and a quill and inkpot appeared. A space was visible at the bottom of the parchment scroll for Mezereon to sign.

If Mezereon chose to sign, Serafina then waved her hand and the parchment disappeared along with the quill and ink. “Right, down to business then,” she began. “I’m looking to craft a particular… concoction,” she began. “I need some things, as I mentioned, that will be difficult to acquire. And, since you have certainly proven your skills in crafting poisons,” she said, referring to the gift of Mara’s Kiss that Mezereon had given her upon arrival. “Perhaps there will be further payment involved if you would be so willing to assist in the crafting of said, let’s call it a spirit, upon your completion of the retrieval,” she continued.

“I will need a decent quantity of each of the following: Sailor’s Chew, Blacknectar, Dyno, and Feybloom. I am looking to ferment some wine with a bit of a kick, to create the ultimate party favor, so to speak,” she explained. The items listed were rather potent drugs that were completely illegal in all parts of Revaliir. Even as a goddess, they were difficult to just manifest, at least with the amounts that she would need. “Just think. Those who drink this wine can party day and night, no need for sleep…” she said, with a bit of a grin.

While Mezereon contemplated what she was seeking, Serafina went on to explain a bit further. “You see, as gods we have two spheres. Yet… as one of my spheres is Death, I am always associate with that, and only that. I would quite like for some attention to be paid to Debauchery,” she said, with a telling smirk. “So… what do you say? Do you know where to acquire these items, or do you think you could do it without difficulty? And, would you be willing to help in the creative process afterwards? Your reward will be substantial,” she added. Of course, as a god, it would be easy for Serafina to offer her almost anything she wanted – within reason, of course.

Mezereon

Character Info
The diviner took the contract and read it over until she was satisfied, then signed. She was a lover of gossip but also tight-lipped when needed, so Mezereon had no concerns knowing what was discussed here did not leave these walls. She knew how to work with sensitive information. Eagerly the diminutive woman listened as the goddess divulged the reasons behind the extensive selection process, and the concept tickled her fancy. Drugs and poison were two faces of the same coin–dosage was the only difference. The list of ingredients which she was required to find were quite unusual: substances of varying effects and potency that garnered infamy even in the less reputable circles. No one dabbled in such without paying a pretty price for it through body and mind. An individual with greater moral conviction than her would have balked at the request; fortunately Mezereon was indifferent to such things. She was merely buying what her superior ordered. What the lady chose to do with said items was none of her concern. If it didn't affect her or anything she cared about, it didn't matter. 

She smiled in satisfaction as she did her best to imagine the effects of the infused cocktail once all the ingredients had transferred their properties to the drink. "I'd be happy to experiment with the cosmetic aspects of it once the liquor is ready. Such an exquisite mixture must be a feast for the senses even before one partakes of it." Color and flavor would highlight the experience, especially since many drugs often altered the senses. With what little she knew about drugs, at least she didn't have Dyno and Sailor's Chew to worry about. The former had a pleasant rose-like fragrance and was tasteless. Blacknectar and Feybloom she was unfamiliar with. Mezereon contemplated before replying to Serafina's questions. "Hmm…Sailor's Chew and Dyno are simple enough to obtain that I can be for certain. Blacknectar will require a bit of networking for the amount you would need. As for Feybloom…the supply will be the greatest problem. The fey aren't very generous when it comes to giving their secrets." They were also quite bothersome to deal with. Sometimes money couldn't solve everything, and they had a penchant for toying with people before getting to what they wanted.

"I can have the full shipment for Dyno and Sailor's Chew ready within two weeks. Blacknectar and Feybloom will take some time–a few months at best for the latter. I will need to ensure I won't be shortchanged by the supplier for that. And if Blacknectar is low in stock, I suppose I will need to wring the recipe out of someone." Alchemy was one of her talents, as Mara's Kiss was any indication. "I do hope that things will not come that end, nevertheless." She didn't want to go through the drudgery of experimenting with it until she reached the same level of consistency as something she could just buy.