Hint: Hover over a field name if you want to know what it's for.

Author: Shiloh Kyrie, Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:01 PM, Post Subject: Lady Unluck[GO][R]

Galatea listened carefully as the former deity gave her own words of advice. She mulled over the words the visitor said, and considered the mind of her maker. Though her actions didn't make it obvious, Galatea and every moving machine in Antikythera was made according to the Steward's design. "I will keep your words in mind, and relay them in full to Shiloh when she comes back." They always called her by title, even when she didn't require it. 'Captain', 'Steward'–she and the others rarely addressed her directly. Whatever they felt was more comfortable to them, she would accept. Perhaps she was odd. Creations made by the hands of others didn't have as much freedom in choice. She had set few boundaries, and almost no limitations. Though she was a machine, the automaton knew what this visitor's intent was. Giving another slight bow, she said: "Thank you for coming, despite it not being the most comfortable choice. As myself and not as a member of the staff of the Machinarium–I am glad to see that there are others who know the depths of our Captain's heart."

Looking up at the ceiling, her gaze went to the doorway to the Chapel. "Do you know how this place was originally designed? People outside call it the Machinarium from its appearance at face value. When this place came into existence, she was on the brink of certain death. The first location to take shape within these walls was the Chapel. Deep down, in spite of everything, I believe what she wanted was a peaceful, normal life. Never asking for much, only wanting assurance that all would be well and a promise of a better tomorrow. She wasn't happy when she was made a deity, but I'm sure I don't need to tell you that." She waved a hand as Natsumi left Antikythera, putting to memory the last words she had given before parting.

With portrait in hand, she carried it away to the gallery, keeping it covered and away from the main exhibits. When the Steward returned, she would show it to her and relay the visitor's message. "It's always so quiet whenever you go. Like always, we'll be waiting for you when you come back. I hope you'll realize that there are more people out there like you than you would expect." The hybrid unit murmured to herself in the silence of the stone halls. No one knows that the future will hold, or what tomorrow will bring. Even if the end of the world drew near, Galatea had faith that Shiloh would be able to face anything fate had in store. As long as she remembered that she wasn't alone, and was willing to take the hands of others.

Author: CodeAni, Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:21 PM, Post Subject: Lady Unluck[GO][R]

Whether or not the young deity liked my touch-ups, however, was a question that would not be answered on this visit or the next. Galatea took the portrait from me, believing that it would be a good addition to the temple's artistic stock, but the sounds of a departing airship marked the end of any hope that Shiloh would soon glimpse the piece for herself. The automaton was now the sole reigning authority within that empty place, and she rightly assumed that I would be leaving soon.

Before I answered her question to that effect, though, the two of us got into a brief discussion on stubbornness.

"Many would agree with you on that sentiment," I replied in relation to the idea that stubbornness could be treated, "but the trouble comes when trying to drive away stubbornness with more of the same. Doesn't always work, and sometimes just solidifies the opponent's position." I was speaking from personal experience, but left my reservations on the matter at that. There was something else, I realized, that I needed to say instead.

It was at this moment in that cold hall that I began to see just how similar Shiloh was to a younger version of myself. This particular version, however, was not the same youth that Robin had awoken so recently. She, in particular, had found the optimism in me and shook it back to reality, but this lone deity? She reminded me of what came after optimism died.

Shiloh held within her the same cynicism and despair that had filled the void of my broken dreams. Her personality teetered on the brink of my own: almost like someone who was living but not really alive. I knew now, from personal experience, that this was a terrible path for her to be on; but, unlike me during that particularly dark time in my life, Shiloh still had friends. She still had hope, and so I decided to impress on Galatea some vital tidbits of wisdom.

"You've been most hospitable, Galatea," I said while gleaning my host's name from her surface memory, "so I'll not intrude more than I have, but a word of advice before I leave? Shiloh is a lot like me, but from another place and another time. I doubt you'll need to remind her of this, but I'm not someone she wants to become. Steer her toward a more normal life, if you can: or at least as normal as it can be for a deity. She has friends who look after her, no matter how much she may rage against them or their actions. Mayhaps that will save her in the end."

Save her from herself, I meant. I had no friends at that stage of my life, and it made me bitter to the point of hating people. Those struggles didn't have to be repeated, though, so I decided to warn those closest to this woman so as to avoid another tragedy. Obviously, however, there was no way I could guarantee this avoidance, so I didn't stick around to try. I prepared to leave following those comments instead, but not solely from my recognition of reality.

Despite the lack of any window in that temple, a chill wind blew down my spine in the hall. It was an event that only ever happened to me when danger was near; and I had a feeling that I needed to return home immediately. That feeling had visited before, and, judging from past experience, I knew it was foolish to ignore it. As such, I turned heel and left on foot shortly thereafter, but not before passing an additional piece of wisdom to my host.

"If you need to find me from now on, you might have to search in the place betwixt and beyond all: where darkness is the only law. If I have any domain left in this world, it's there." Holding up a hand to say goodbye following that final remark, I kept my back to Galatea until exiting the temple's front door. Then, with the magical dampening effect of the temple finally gone, I opened a void gate to travel the rest of the way.

A week later, Salem came under attack by fanatics from Dalanesca's faith. They went in to round up as many errant ghosts as they could, but I, along with my family and half the spirits in town, had already evacuated before their arrival. New Salem was born of these refugees: a town on the edge of the void, safe from the prying eyes of deity and fanatical mortal alike.

Author: Shiloh Kyrie, Posted: Sun Jan 7, 2018 7:11 PM, Post Subject: Lady Unluck[GO][R]

Galatea raised an eyebrow at the painting, putting a hand to her chin. "A one-of-a-kind artwork from a renowned painter. The subject matter itself is quite intriguing. The Steward never mentioned that she was a cat burglar in her spare time. I'll accept it in her stead, and pass on the message to her once she's back. I also have a few questions I know I'll want to ask her when that time comes." It was a curious portrait, completely different from the businesslike courier captain they knew. Galatea smiled to herself as she was already preparing a set of twenty questions to put her employer through after that week at Loch Fynn. "Yes, I'm sure she'll be pleased with this one. For now, I'll keep it wrapped. If the others find out about it they'll be nosing their way in to have a look." 

The automata of Antikythera weren't simple metal golems or moving puppets. Despite their inorganic bodies they displayed the same level and range of emotion as the average person, making them seem more alive. Even if Shiloh didn't want the painting, Galatea herself felt it would be a good addition to the public art gallery. So far they only had pieces made by the Machinarium's residents, and it would be nice to showcase artwork from other creators. As their conversation came to a close, there was the roar of an airship's engines as the Clephsydra was lifting off from it's docking station. The female automaton cocked her head as she listened, giving a chuckle as she imagined her captain pounding on the walls yelling as they were flying towards the west of Parvpora.

"She'll be giving us all an earful come next week, but she'll get over it. There are times when the stubborn need to be taught a lesson. Have a safe departure, Miss. Would you like for one of us to accompany you on your way out?"
She courteously asked. Shiloh was the only one who could travel without transportation, and with her gone that meant those leaving Antikythera would need their own ride out if they didn't wish to take the long way back through Via Fulminis. The deity did not create her temple in an easily accessible location, nor did she make it easy for people to come see her. She liked her privacy, if making a fortress in the middle of one of the most harsh and unforgiving landscapes in the entire continent didn't make that obvious. 

Author: CodeAni, Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:46 PM, Post Subject: Lady Unluck[GO][R]

In the end, Shiloh reacted to my introduction about how I expected. Her lack of expressiveness was fairly predictable, considering our past interactions had always involved some combination of that and anger, though her assumption that I was joking about the "therapy sessions" showed she was very much still a new deity.

"You might be surprised by what other people find therapeutic," I replied with a hint of sympathy at this realization. Although, my level of pity in that moment did transition rather quickly to amusement when my host mentioned her 'friend.' "Sounds very familiar," I continued, ending my responses just before handing over my spa tokens to the newest member of the pantheon.

It was at that point that events spiraled rapidly out of control. Apparently, Shiloh was ruled by her temple and its staff just as much as she ruled them. They forced her to use my tokens to take a vacation immediately, leaving me in the dust of a rapidly departing frenzy with nothing but the shocked expression on my face. Only the automaton known as Galatea remained in the wake of that grand departure; and so I was left to deal with her after my ears stopped ringing from all the noise.

"Alright, then," I said with waning tinnitus. "To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure if that will be helpful for this second gift, as it's a portrait and subject to the Steward's personal tastes. Still, I might as well show it just in case."

Whether or not Galatea could accurately predict her employer's artistic tastes, I decided to show her anyway. I had no desire to return at another time, after all, considering my global distaste for temples of all shapes and sizes. In fact, my discomfort on that front vastly outweighed my current manners, so I decided to immediately summon my gift painting from one of my art warehouses to get a yes or no on it.

The portrait in question was of Shiloh as the Pale Death against a shady background of broken traps and dreams. She held in her hands the infamous, Karithian Kestrel; and could be seen leaping out of a Vilpamolan window in triumph. Admittedly, it was not the most accurate depiction of how that heist had gone for her, but it was the more romantic story that most people believed. To others, especially the citizens of Adeluna, she was an anti-hero, a sort of Cat Woman character plundering the criminals; and my portrait reflected that retelling of the story.

"I never sold a single copy," I said while stabilizing this shoulder-high work against myself, "and Shiloh didn't know that I was the woman on the rooftop at the time. Still, I figure she might like to own an original artwork from Shiro free of charge. Not many people can claim that luxury, after all, and the scarcity is one reason why my work is so popular. Plus, if it turns out she doesn't want it, you can always sell it or send it back. Don't worry about a return address in that latter case, as I'll find it if you leave it somewhere with a note."

Shiro was the alias I went by for my paintings: a wandering artist who was famous among nobility of all stripes for his landscapes as well as his portraits. My artwork was prized by those who could afford it, especially since I specialized in painting romantic pieces: ones that, shall we say, overemphasized positive attributes to the exclusion of negative ones. I knew how to play to my clients' vanity as well as their expectations, meaning that I got good profits from the trade. I'm sure on some level they knew I was flattering them, but they didn't care so long as someone showed them what they wanted.

In Shiloh's case, though, I was more so covering up the bruising rather than giving her a well-endowed bosom or larger buttocks. Hopefully that would be to her liking so she could remember her shining moment a little differently than it actually was.

Author: Shiloh Kyrie, Posted: Sat Dec 2, 2017 9:04 PM, Post Subject: Lady Unluck[GO][R]

Natsumi was already stuffing something into her hands as she replied to obtaining the 'first visitor award'. At the mention of therapy sessions and the way she was talking about them, Shiloh was getting the feeling that being a deity was more like an administrator who handled grievances as well as daily operations. Groaning, her poker face twisted into a wry smile. "Oh so I have to deal with those kinds of problems now too? Personally I should be the last person to go to for therapy or advice. …I'll probably need to make a complaints department." Her expression was back to its usual deadpan look at the end as she realized Natsumi wasn't joking. The other woman's mention of being detained and smothered by her family following her return while at death's door was pretty similar to what happened after she had returned to Nisshoki after that ordeal. "Speaking of breathing room, a friend of mine nearly went into a panic when I accidentally gave a few details on why I had been away for so long. He kept freaking out and trying to find any injuries to heal…then he wouldn't let me go anywhere by myself even after I proved I was fine. They just care about us too much for their own good."

Inspecting the golden tokens, Shiloh held them up as her visitor gave an explanation. "A spa huh. Never been to one of those before, or a hot spring." For such a rare and valuable gift, she couldn't bring herself to use them. Maybe she could regift them to that friend of hers, or someone else she knew well– That thought was interrupted when a gloved hand plucked the tokens out from her palm. "I'll be taking those for safekeeping." Galatea said as she held them before Shiloh had put them into her pockets. The dark-haired automaton was one of the newer models, and looked indistinguishable from a living, breathing person on the surface. "You know, the Steward has been working continuously ever since Antikythera was first constructed. Apparently she has come to the assumption that being temporarily relieved of one's physical limits is a free pass to work without taking a vacation." 

"Hey! What are you–" "I believe it's high time that you've taken a well-deserved rest. When was the last time you adhered to normal circadian rhythms?" "Galatea-" Shiloh protested as the automaton cut her off. "Don't worry, I have informed Sir Cymbel of the good news already. I am sure he will be thrilled to spend a week on an all expenses paid trip." Finally getting the tokens back, the newly-ascended deity stared back in alarm. "You did what?!" The tension was then broken as a loud pop and a shower of confetti rained down on them. With Galatea present, the other automatons perceived it was safe to come out of hiding and were cheering as they pushed Shiloh towards the Marble Corridor. "Hey what are you doing?! Stop it! No, I refuse to leave–I will not–" Her voice was soon drowned out by the congratulations from her staff members as they were gradually moving her towards the airship's docking bay. 

Galatea watched with a look of self-satisfaction in her eyes as Shiloh's angry protests were lost in the sounds of celebration. Seeing the visitor was still here, she turned to her. "I'm afraid she won't be able to speak with you for a while. They'll soon be loading a rather uncooperative passenger onto the Clephsydra. If you have any further business with Ms. Kyrie, I will be acting on her behalf until her one-week vacation is up."

Author: CodeAni, Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:33 PM, Post Subject: Lady Unluck[GO][R]

I didn't end up waiting long for Shiloh after that automaton delivered my message, though the interlude was just enough for me to start fidgeting again. It was something that always came out after prolonged periods of sedentary behavior on my part, so the days following my recovery were no exception. In fact, by the time the new divine pup arrived, I was already shuffling one of her gifts in my hand while my ears involuntarily twitched back and forth.

Shiloh herself showed up to that anxious scene, looking rather plain for a deity. It was a nice change of pace from the rest of the conclave, in my personal opinion, although a bit unexpected. Still, her choice in wardrobe was eclipsed quite thoroughly by the first words out of her mouth. I was apparently her first temple visitor ever, a fact that extracted a comment almost immediately from me.

"First? Lucky you, then. I won't be the typical 'therapy session' you're likely to meet in your new position," I responded with the wry cynicism of experience. "I also rarely travel to temples because they give me the heebie jeebies, so this visit is already a remarkable occurrence without being your first." Shiloh commented on my health shortly after the statement that triggered this response from me, so I kept going after the fact. "Tell me about it," I continued in reference to the 'not going to make it' bit. "My family won't shut up about my health ever since I got out of the Aestas hospital. In fact, I had to sneak out of my own home just to get some breathing room today. You'd think I was a feeble, old crone on her last legs given how they have been acting lately; but my age has no bearing on my fitness. I am not feeble in any sense of the word nor am I the type to remain stationary. My family just needs to relearn that."

I was no stranger to the spying automata lurking behind my host up until that point, so it was not surprising to me when she paused our meeting to look over her shoulder in scrutiny. I waited for her to turn back toward me before saying anything further, still shuffling the golden spa tokens in my hand as I thought of what to say next. Then, when she was done, I spoke up once more.

"Right," I said with a somewhat awkward transition. "Anyway, I come bearing gifts in thanks for your assistance back at Aysut." Finally stopping my fidgeting, I extended the tokens in my hand toward Shiloh then described what they were. "This first one is a sum of two tokens to a highly regarded spa in the Highlands known as Loch Fynn. I was staying there up until Aysut's revival, and can vouch for the staff's competency and the quality of their hot springs. Each of these tokens is recognized currency by them for a seven-day, all expenses paid vacation. You can either take that trip twice for a total of 14 days or share it with someone you like. Your choice."

I had another gift, of course, but decided to hold off on providing it until I could gauge Shiloh's reaction to the first. She was still a decent mystery to me, considering that the two of us had only ever met under duress. She could very well just reject my gift, which would be just as well. What mattered to me, in the end, was that I had made the effort to express my gratitude: not how the target of that gratitude reacted to my effort.

Author: Shiloh Kyrie, Posted: Sat Nov 4, 2017 8:19 PM, Post Subject: Lady Unluck[GO][R]

Shiloh was in Serenitas, looking over some new schematics. "…Let's see the towers are here and here, so if I install the hydraulic powered lifts down a central shaft then maintenance for the airship bay can access the workshops to bring parts straight up. I'll need to measure out the dimensions of the lift carriages, calculate maximum load capacity–" Her voiced train of thought was interrupted by a buzzer going off in the room. Fumbling around on the desk she found the thing and pushed the button. Galatea's voice came through from the other side: "Lord Steward, a guest has personally requested you. They are currently waiting in the Entry Hall." Speaking back through the device, she said: "I'll be there in a minute, thanks Galatea." Shuffling papers together to create some semblance of organization, she exited the fold of space which housed her personal chambers into the Marble Corridor. This was her very first visitor since Antikythera was built, so it was anyone's guess who it could be.

She was dressed in the same clothes she usually wore: a plain long-sleeved tunic with brown culottes and leather boots. Using aura sight, she only detected one life signature. Not wanting to keep them waiting, she picked up her pace to a light jog before slowing when the Entry Hall's archway was in sight. Briskly walking in she was surprised to see someone familiar. "So, welcome to–" Pausing, she stared intently at the person before her. This person's aura was very familiar. In fact, this particular one had left a lasting impression since that time she was in the desert. "…Oh, Natsumi–wasn't expecting you to find me here. Well since you're also the very first person to visit, I'll have to write this down for posterity." They hadn't spoken to each other much since they had broken out of the pyramid with an angry lich on their heels, and the last time she had seen her she was barely hanging on by a spider's thread.

"You look like you've recovered mostly. After you got carried out I was worried you weren't going to make it." From behind, there were a few curious automatons peering in from the Marble Corridor. Some of them looked like metal golems, while others bore stronger resemblance to animated life-sized dolls. From their behavior, they appeared to have high levels of autonomy and awareness compared to the average clockwork or clay golem. Feeling that they were being watched, she turned around. The automata hid themselves from view before she could catch a glimpse of them, but she wasn't fooled. Narrowing her eyes, she turned to face Natsumi again.

Author: CodeAni, Posted: Sat Nov 4, 2017 7:42 PM, Post Subject: Lady Unluck[GO][R]

After the events of Aysut in Harena, I was… well we'll go with "asked nicely" to remain on bed rest for several weeks. Rudjek combined with my own recklessness had almost managed to kill my Revaliir persona, and neither SAI nor my family were all too thrilled about that prospect. They kept me in bed until the former's medical diagnostic systems said I was healthy enough to walk about; and, even then, I was still kept on house arrest. Apparently, to the rest of my family, I was a doddering old woman who would fall apart in an instant if allowed some autonomy, rather than an accomplished, interdimensional spy that had been a god more than once on other worlds.

As you might imagine from my past stories, dear reader, there's only so long that I can suffer that type of treatment before I snap. In fact, around the time that news of Shiloh's ascension broke, I was on the verge of going stir crazy. I actually snuck out of my house while no one was looking to remedy that situation, leaving behind little more than a note of my imminent return. Before said return could happen, however, I had some things to take care: not least of which was delivering some overdue prizes to the rogue in question - or at least that was my excuse that I used to get up and walk to Railoch.

Of course, while I have said "walk" in this passage, the reality was that I teleported to see Parvpora's newest, divine mansion. A temple popping up in the barren, lightning drenched wastes was hard to miss, after all, so Antikythera was easy enough to find once I set my mind to it. Therefore, I arrived at the path of lightning with little effort, and, knowing that Robin would have thrown a fit had I walked the harder of the two paths forward, I used the howlite obelisks to travel the rest of the way toward the temple entrance.

The trip was quick, all in all, bringing my liberally bundled self into a plain, sanitary corridor at its end.

"Nice place," I remarked aloud in that hallway, noticing the stylistic choices that were made in its construction. Ironically, Shiloh and I had similar tastes in architecture and color scheme, although I usually leaned more toward darker hues than the stark white that she apparently favored. Either way, I continued back toward the far wall of that place, eventually coming across the emblem automaton that was the first voice I heard in Antikythera.

"Greetings visitor," it began after I pushed its obvious button. "Welcome to Antikythera, home of the Steward, or the Ruler of-" I could tell that that speech was going to go on for a long while if I let it: considering the most common sin of the religious – aka giving way too many titles to one person. Therefore, I cut the machine off before it could continue and immediately explained why I was there.

"Yes, yes, I know what this place is. I wouldn't be here otherwise," I responded curtly. "I'm actually looking for your Steward, as I have some gifts to deliver to her that are… late."