Roleplay Forums > Onnen > Sotho Coast > Maisha Maua, the Chroma Isles > Two to One [S]
Caroline Einsecc

Character Info
Name: Caroline Einsecc
Alignment: LN
Race: Half-human
Class: Healer
Silver: 654
Caroline had been in deep study over the nature of the soul once she had found out that a spirit had followed the heart, brain, and pair of eyes that she had gained on the last mission. This spirit was angry and had been causing issues but Caroline noticed that the spirit was attached to the preserved organs. Once she moved the organs to a different room, the spirit could no longer bother her during research. She had an available spirit and now she was curious about souls. Mainly how to resurrect a sole in a real way. She held no interest in necromancy, since it only brought back the corpse. What was the point in bringing back a useless corpse? If she wanted to use a mindless piece of garbage, she'd just hire some local villagers. No, her goal was to find a way to bring back a person. An intelligent person. But how? This was why she began researching in ways to put a soul back into the body. Her research led her to a few different issues. One, the soul needed a functioning healthy body to enter. Two, the soul would have an issue with the living person in the body. A dead body was useless since it was non-functioning.

There were ways to get a corpse to function but it would never be like it was when it was alive. So in order to put a soul into a decent body, the other soul needed to be rid of. Then an idea came to Caroline's mind. What if, instead of replacing the soul, the two merged together? If she experimented with this then it would open doors for new possibilities. But first, she had to test this theory to see if it would work. Caroline traveled to Parvpora for a short amount of time and returned with a knocked out woman from a village. The woman was tied up, gagged, and had cloth around her eyes to block any sight. Her name was Leah and she was a half-elf who used to be a farmer or something. Caroline was not as concerned about those details. What was important was the fact that the woman was in tip top shape health-wise. She even possessed a large amount of magical abilities. Caroline had Bradyn strap her down to the operation table. The moment that she heard, operation table, Leah began screaming through her cloth. It was annoying and would distract Caroline from her work.

"What a bother." Caroline sighed.

Walking over to the woman, she touched Leah's forehead and caused her to fall into a deep sleep. Now that the woman was asleep, Caroline had Bradyn remove the clothe gags and things that tied her up. Leah was laid out on the operation table for Caroline. There was much to be done but the first steps were to invoke the spirit that had been haunting the organs for the past two weeks. After retrieving the organs, Caroline began to cast a spell to invoke the spirit and force it to do her bidding. The spirit began to appear in front of her. A young woman with short ebony black hair and beautiful blue eyes floated before them, clearly horrified at the scene. Then, Caroline turned to the girl with the soul and used a different sort of magic. One that would make her soul present and attainable. Then, Caroline began to chant a special little spell that she had handcrafted herself. Leah's soul and the spirit were drawn to each other. When they touched, a bright flash of light filled the room.

Once the light died down, there was only one soul left. That soul returned to Leah's body. Caroline felt the exhaustion of overusing her magical powers. That spell, the one that had combined the souls was powerful. With most of her magic drained, she had Bradyn watch over Leah's body as she left to sleep off the magical drainage. It had been a day since the experiment and the test subject still hadn't opened up her eyes. She was not dead. But the test subject wasn't awake. Caroline had taken rigorous notes on this, seeing as it would affect how she used the spell in the future. The healer was keeping a constant eye on the test subject in case any new developments occurred. Finally, after an entire day of sleep, the test subject's eyes opened. Caroline carefully watched as the test subject looked around the room. The test subject seemed to be observing her surroundings. There wasn't a hint of fear like Leah had or any sign of anger like the spirit. The test subject's expression was blank and slightly confused. The test subject looked to Caroline and then to Bradyn before pushing herself to a sitting position.

"Where am I?" The test subject asked.

"I'll answer all your questions in due time." Caroline responded, "But first you must answer mine. Tell me, what is your name?"

"My name….I…." The test subject paused for a long time, "I'm sorry. I don't know."

"I see." Caroline scribbled in a few notes, "What can you remember?" The test subject fell silent.

A look of panic fell on her face as she realized that she remembered nothing at all. She knew how to speak and other basic information but she couldn't recall any memories. Who was she? Where did she come from? What was this place? Thousands of questions buzzed through her mind but she could not bring up a single answer for Caroline's questions.

"I can't remember….anything." The test subject began to panic, "What's going on? Why can't I-"

"It's alright." Caroline said with a warm smile, "This is an entirely natural part of waking up. I want you to understand something. I made you. I combined two souls and a body together to create you."

"Two souls? But what happened to those two souls?" She asked with concern.

"One was dead. It was a good soul." Caroline explained, "The other was alive but she was an incredibly wicked person. By adding a good soul to her evil one, it eradicated the evil part of your soul and made you neutral. If that makes sense. It also seems to have destroyed all of your memories but it is possible that you might earn them back. We will have to see."

"I was evil?" The test subject seemed to be growing more worried by every moment.

Caroline sat next to the test subject on the operating table and held her hands in her own.

"My dear, you are not evil." Caroline said, "You are newly created. A baby born is not decided by whatever past lives they had. So it will be the same for you."

Caroline couldn't be certain that the test subject's memories were gone for good. That was why she was explaining things like this. The second any previous memories returned, the test subject would be frightened of their "evil self" and would report them immediately. If her memories did return, it would be a simple matter of removing them. If that didn't work, she could always be killed and they could restart this little project.

"Now since you are my creation, I shall name you." Caroline said, "You will be called Leita. I am Caroline and this is Bradyn. Bradyn works for me as well. I shall train you in becoming my assistant and he will teach you how to fight. As for your room, I live in a manor so that won't be much of an issue. Do you have any questions?"

Leita felt….confused but she also felt grateful to Caroline. Without her, she would be nothing. Even as a newborn creature, she felt the strong desire to live and the gratitude towards somebody who had made her. Not only did Caroline make her but she also saved her from both death and from being an evil person. At this moment, Leita knew she had to repay so much to this woman. Besides Caroline appeared to be a trustworthy person. She had a warm sweet smile and a soft voice. 

"No, Miss Caroline." Leita said.

Caroline had a warm smile on her face. It was ironic. She had transformed one of her enemies and made her into a potential ally. Caroline knew she would have to sculpt Leita into a perfect obedient assistant. Somebody who would do whatever she said. That would take time and many experiments. But now she had a new permanent test subject whom she could mold into the perfect eternal servant. This test turned out better than she had expected…. 

What we learn can unlock the true potential of this universe.