Roleplay Forums > Onnen > Sahel Hightops > Sahel Understory > Hunter Becomes the Hunter [P, R]
Hawk

Character Info
Name: Juniper Greenbriar
Alignment: None
Race: Hawk
Class: Hunter
Silver: 376
Juniper raced through the rainforest.

The rotting dampness would help disguise her scent, while the darkness on the forest floor aided with hiding her from hunting eyes. The large plants made for perfect protection should she need to cover herself to remain unseen. The humanoid creatures which lurked could be heard, stalking amongst the trees and shrubs. Each snapping twig, each turning leaf made her heart and blood nearly freeze over. Everything sounded like they were catching up with her, every distant tree looked like a standing figure, watching her futile attempt at fleeing. They could find her. They will find her. Maybe tomorrow, maybe next week. They would, someday. She couldn’t run forever, and they were astounding hunters.

But that day was not today.

She was a skilled hunter as well. She had been finely trained by the chief of their tribe, the best hunter they had. She knew their methods, and knew how to evade them. But that went both ways. It would not take long for them to find her and drag her back to her village. Then she would be forced to face her father, forced to play along and tell some lie to explain why she ran away. And that was what she feared the most. Running had only made things worse for her, but she couldn’t take it. She needed to get away for as long as she possibly could. Perhaps her father would change his mind while she’s gone. Maybe he will figure out he was the one that caused this, forcing her to feel like she had no choice but to flee. It wasn’t a very likely result, but she fancied imagining it.

“Juniper!” A familiar male’s voice shouted. He was several paces behind her. Too close. Too close! She frantically looked for an escape. Running in a straight line would do nothing for her. She needed some sort of twist, or some place to hide. Her foot caught a tree root, sending her flying forward and onto the ground with a surprised yipe. Dammit!

“Juniper!” His voice called again. Her eyes widened, and she flipped over to see him standing over her. A strong male with dark hair, clad in hunter’s leathers. In his eyes was disappointment, but she didn’t care. It was nothing like she would get from her father. Many more footsteps rushed towards them from behind where he stood. They all came.

“Jay, please,” she said quietly. “Just let me go.”

“You know I cannot do that. Your father will fret,” he shook his head with a sad smile. He reached down and grabbed her arm sturdily. Juniper panicked. Without thought, she took a rock from the ground beside her and swung. He shouted as it slammed into his head, and he instantly released his grip on her. She sprung to her feet and attempted to run. “You aren’t going anywhere!” Another male’s voice sounded as she was grabbed from behind. His large arms held onto her waist tightly, making it difficult to breathe. “Let me go!” She yelled.
Kieran Leonhardt

Character Info
Name: Kieran Leonhardt
Race:
Class:
Silver: 467
I can’t go on…this heat, this sticky blasted heat..I need…I need

He couldn’t finish his thought as his weak body gave in under him and he collapsed face first onto the jungle floor. The decaying soaked leaves felt cool compared to the humidity rich air against his sweaty skin. He turned his head slowly and watched a pit brightly colored beetles walking by, stopping every now and then to grab ahold of the decaying plant matter in their jaws. He wished he could reach out and eat the beetles himself, but he knew their bright colors were a warning…they were poisonous to consume. His stomach growled even at the thought and shot pain through his abdomen.

How long had it been since he ate? Was it since he had fled his empire? He could not recall anymore, it felt he did nothing but run.

Run, Run! He remembered he had to run! He had to keep running, he fled his duties as a soldier, he had become missing in action. If they found him, his head would be on the chopping block. Reluctantly he pushed himself up, hands and bare feet sinking into the ground. His legs wobbled as he stood straight, yet his body gave in again and he started to fall to the side and only grabbing onto the trunk of a nearby tree did he manage to keep himself upright.

”Why…did…I…run”

His voice was hoarse, words barely making it out as he took a step forward again. The water from the ground sleeping between his toes, his boots that he once wore had deteriorated from constantly running. So he continued and continued to slog on through the forest. His determination to live, live a life where he wasn’t oppressed beneath an emperors iron rule was the only thing that kept him alive and kept him from pushing forward.

“Let me go!!”

Words rang clearly through the air, a young female at that. It was none of his concern anymore, why should he even bother to intervene, yet his body was dragging him towards the voice rather than away. The sounds of struggle were heard as he head behind a tree, he looked around and a glint of gold shone through the light as long blonde hair flew through the air. A beautiful, far more beautiful than any woman he had seen, woman struggling against a large man who had her held from behind another on the ground. He could hear the sounds of others.

Dont, it’s none of your business. You would just get yourself killed. Do. Not. Try. Anything. He ground into his skull and turned away. He took a step before he stopped, what if she rewarded him? Perhaps some food? Direction in this foreign land? He was finding any means to justify risking life and limb to save her. He couldn’t activate his wings or pugilist blood…why would he even bother?

”Damn it!” he murmured and picked up a nearby decaying tree limb and turned before pushing all of his energy he had left into a sprint. He broke out of the foliage and swung the limb as hard as his arms could muster landing, the tree limb shattering upon impact from the decay and the man dropped the lady and fell to the side. He wasn’t dead, nowhere near enough force behind it, but was enough to knock him out. Kieran stood turning to face the rest of the group who had far more serious looks on their face.

”She said to let her go…so, back….off,” He was out of breathe, his legs barely keeping him up. To them he was just a mouse in the lion’s den..but his heart as a soldier couldn’t let him back down from trying to save someone. He may have been the mouse, but he had the heart of a lion.
Hawk

Character Info
Juniper fought with all of her might. She had been trained well for circumstances such as this, and knew many ways she could break free. But her opponent needed to be smaller, and not anywhere near as strong as the man that held her. His muscular arms squeezed the more the struggled, like an anaconda crushing the life out of its prey. “Stop,” she wheezed. Her movements slowed as she instead focused on trying to breathe. “Don’t harm her,” Jay’s voice spoke up. Juniper looked back to see him on the ground still, his head bleeding where she’d hit him. She winced a little guiltily, wishing she hadn’t been so harsh to her friend. But, at least he wasn’t dead. He managed to open one eye to look at her. There was anger, but no hatred in his golden eyes as he added, “We don’t hurt our guild mates. We just need to take her back home.” Despite looking at her, his words were directed towards the male holding her from behind. His arms loosened slightly, allowing her to gasp for breath.

“I’m sorry I hurt you. I’m sorry I ran,” Juniper began another attempt at pleading. “But I can’t go back! Please, Jay, just give me some time. That’s all I ask. I will return, I promise.” Jay watched her, eyes intense, but contemplative. It allowed her to feel slight hope, even the smallest ray. Jay cared as deeply for her as she did for him. They were childhood friends, along with the rest of their guild. But she’d always been closest to Jay. If she could sway any, it would be him.

However, he waved his hand for the male behind her to take her. All hopes she had were shattered. She was pulled back, struggling and fighting once again to free herself. “Jay! Don’t do this!”

“This is for the good of the Tribes,” the man behind her replied instead, his breath hot in her ear from holding her against him.

Then, the sound of something rushing towards them caught her attention. Her ears twitched. Once it was upon them, from behind where her eyes could not see, a loud thump rang in her ears, and the man let go of her. He fell to the ground, body limp with unconsciousness. She spun around to see another man, unfamiliar and in terrible shape. His clothing was torn and snagged to rags, barely managing to keep him modest. Dirt coated them and his skin. His dark hair was unkempt, oily and left to grow without care. And his body—it was so thin, lacking muscle and necessary fat. His limbs shook while he stood and held the large piece of wood, as if holding himself up was a great challenge. Dark circles were under his eyes, proof that he hadn’t had much sleep. He appeared so exhausted, so weak. When was the last time he was able to treat himself to a bath? Or even a meal?

This man… his eyes were strong despite his condition. But he was in no position to fight. Warmth swelled in her chest knowing he was willing to help her anyway. He knew how futile the attempt would be. Yet, he still stepped in. What an idiot!

She looked down at the unconscious male, then over at Jay who stared with wide eyes. “Juniper!” Her eyes snapped up to a woman standing nearby. She had a look of betrayal in her green eyes as she took in the scene before her. And then, her eyes landed on the stranger, “You! What have you done?!” The dark-haired female drew her sword threateningly.

No!

If she attacked the man, he wouldn’t stand a chance. The sound of a battle would draw the attention of the rest of their guild. That, would be the end of him. She couldn’t allow that—she wouldn’t. He helped her, even though it only made their situation worse. And now she must help him. “No,” she said firmly, stepping between the stranger and the hostile female. She needed to think of a way out of this. Some way for both of them to escape. Think. Think!

“Don’t harm him,” Juniper continued. “Juniper,” Jay warned as he slowly sat up. Perhaps he could tell what she was preparing for. “He is a friend of mine,” she went on, making up any lie she could. Glancing over the stranger, she took in every useful detail as she could before pleading him with her eyes for him to play along. She looked back at the other female, who’s name was Holly, then her eyes turned to Jay, “He had asked me to help him with a personal matter, so we were meant to meet tonight. He must have came looking for me when I didn’t show, and assumed I was in danger.” She nodded to the fallen male next to them, as if to show the results of his assumptions. “Please, he needs my help. Don’t harm him. Let me fulfill my promise to him, and then I will return home.”

Jay looked between her and the stranger. She hoped his appearance would make her lie more convincing. He was silent for a while, instead waving Holly over. Her sword was sheathed before she rushed to his side, wrapped and arm around her neck and helped him to his feet. Then, Jay finally replied, “Very well. You have one hour. As soon as you are done helping this man, come home. If you are even a second late, we will come get you ourselves.”

“I promise,” Juniper smiled softly, feeling slightly guilty about the lie.

A few more guild mates arrived. Jay explained everything to them, and then they took the fallen and went on their way. Only when they had vanished from her sight, she allowed herself to turn on the stranger. “Are you stupid?” She said, crossing her arms over her chest with a stern look. “They could have killed you. They would have.” The smartest move would have been to examine the situation and make a plan before acting. Without doing so, he could have been overwhelmed by more enemies than he anticipated. But, she couldn’t keep herself upset about it. He still tried, and that was what truly mattered. She sighed heavily and her face softened with a gentle smile, “As idiotic as it was, I am grateful to you. You saved me from having to return home and provided me with a good excuse to escape.” Juniper then winked with a dramatic bow, “I am in your debt.” She straightened herself back up, “Allow me to pay you back in some way.”
Kieran Leonhardt

Character Info
Race:
Class:
A name name rang out, Juniper. He quickly glanced over his shoulder at the woman behind him, her name perhaps? He did not have the time to think about it, as he heard the all familiar sound of a blade being removed from its sheath, his head snapped forward to face the woman with the emerald eyes, her blade steady as if she was about to strike out at him.

Stupid man, why did you even jump in. This all seems like internal strife…they all seem to know each other

He dropped the remaining bit of the limp he had and moved to a more defensive stance, it was not like his body could even handle the blow as it would be an easy kill for the woman before him. He would die with his pride intact though, glad that he was able to help a single soul. His view of his opponent was obstructed suddenly as the woman he had tried to save was now standing between him and her. She pleaded not to harm him and her name was called again from on of the men on the ground who started to sit up. Why? was his single thought

The woman Juniper then started to weave a tell that he was a friend of hers. Friend? he knew the word and the implications that she spoke, but never had he considered anyone he knew a friend. Soldiers of the empire army were so beaten into serving the emperor that they usually never had time to make friends or even a family. Her this gorgeous woman was using that word to defend him from these people that she was running from, it felt like he had just caused more problems than he meant to.

Kieran relaxed as the other woman sheathed her blade before going to help the one called Jay back onto his feet. Quickly he glanced over at Kieran and then back again to Juniper before allowing her to “help” him. Kieran was no fool, he knew for a fact that this Jay man did not approve of what was going on. He wasn’t going to say anything though, because if he spoke even a little he knew it would cause this woman’s plan to crumble down. Others arrived and helped the one that he knocked out before dragging him away. Now all that remained was Kieran and Juniper.

She turned around to face him, her face clearly showing signs of her being upset along with her crossing her arms over her chest. ”S-sorry..” he replied weekly back to her. Yet even after all that a small smile graced her red lips and she thanked him for his help with a bow and wink. She herself had been trying to escape as well, he didn’t know from what but it seemed they had that in common. ”Y—-your….” He couldn’t even finish his statement before his vision blurred.

Guess this is it…

He thought before everything seemed to fade into black, he only caught the glimpse of the worry in her face as he feel back into the wet ground.
Hawk

Character Info
He didn’t look well. Not at all.

The stranger was unsteady on his feet, too pale for her liking. His eyelids were heavy. He was barely able to speak, his voice weak and hoarse as if he hadn’t had a sip of water in days, weeks. Her brow creased with slight concern. “Are you alright?” She asked softly, taking a cautious step towards him. Her eyes looked over him yet again. And, without her guild mates there to worry about, she had a moment to take pity on this man for once. He appeared so weak, so tired, so… helpless. She’d never seen someone in such terrible shape. He needed help. She needed to help him. Perhaps that could be her payment.

He started to sway on his feet. She could practically see what little strength he had left seep away from him. Was he ill? She wouldn’t be surprised if he caught something. With his body so frail, there was very little chance it would fight off anything that attacks it. Or, perhaps he had some injury she couldn’t see. For a moment she considered all the things she knew of that would cause such weakness. However, he could simply just be deprived of sleep and a decent meal. “Hey, why don’t we-”

His eyes closed as his voice faded, and he collapsed. Fear struck Juniper. She rushed to his side, falling to her knees and instantly reached for his neck.

Thump… Thump…

She let out a sigh of relief. He had a pulse—he was alive, just unconscious. Looking closer, she could see only small scratches and cuts, nothing serious enough to cause this. Unless… Unless he had an infection! She would not be surprised if one of those small injuries had become corrupted with bacteria. And without any baths, possibly living in the wild with dirt clotting up in his sweat, who knew what entered his open wounds. He could have gangrene. If it was true, then it must be severe for it to be impacting his body like this already.

Carefully, she shuffled his clothes a little in search for signs of an infection, yet taking care not to uncover too much of him. She looked for inflammation, swelling, puss, or even blackened and rotting flesh. But, to her relief, there was no such things on his torso, nor his legs or arms. It was possible for it to be in… other places, but she wasn’t going to push any further.

With that out of the way, she could focus on cooling him down. He was sweating from the intense heat within the forest she’d become accustomed to, his skin slightly flushed. Juniper pulled her backpack off and set it beside her. She took out the small medical kit she’d kept for emergencies. Inside was a fresh, clean rag she searched for, and two bottles: one containing alcohol, the other containing cool water. She wet the rag with the water, then dabbed it tenderly across the man’s brow, down the side of his face and along his jaw, then back up again. Very quickly the pure white cloth was darkened with so much dirt and sweat and oil from his skin. Already, just from that little bit, his face looked so much cleaner, giving her a hint of what a handsome man he would be once he’s fixed up.

Once he was decently cleaned, she folded the rag to hide the dirty side and expose the untouched side. She placed it upon his forehead to keep him cool, then she leaned back to hold herself up with her arms. All she could do now was wait.
Kieran Leonhardt

Character Info
Race:
Class:
His mind drifted as he slipped into unconsciousness, it was like he saw everything that happened in his life flashing before him. Not a very satisfying life that much was for sure. He grew up in a great household and then immediately went into service for the empire after he had finished his time at the academy in the royal city. Since then he had just served, never even trying to settle down and raising a family he only thought about protecting his emperor.

Foolish man, you looked up to him. Worshipped him and gave your life for him. You did not know the horrors that was under the mask that he wore.

He squirmed unaware that the lady who he had foolishly tried to protect was looking after him. His eyes rapidly moving underneath his closed lids. The memories of the horrors he had committed had started to resurface as nightmares as he lay there. The fact that he was so malnourished and exhausted was not helping the fact either.

”Please…no…forgive me!” he cries out in a fever dream. The faces of the people he had to kill all appeared in his mind. Gaping black holes where their mouths and eyes used to be, their skin dripping from their skull as they rushed him one at a time. As they passed through a rush of ice he felt through his spine causing him to shiver as he lay. Then trim the darkness large golden wings appeared strapped to a man, slowly and slowly he got closer till he turned around. Bloodstained outfit and hands and arms dripping with the crimson liquid as a golden blade raised

Traitor!!!!!!!

The blade lowered, as if it was attacking him and before the edge reached his skin Kieran’s eyes snapped open and he sat up far quicker than he should screaming. His breathing was heavy, brow sweating even though it was recently cleared off. Unaware of his surroundings he laid back down, his head resting on something soft and warm. He turned to see what he was resting upon and saw the bare midriff of a lady. Cheeks burned and he pushed himself off and away. He looked and saw it was Juniper whom his head had been resting upon.

”I-I’m sorry!! I didn’t mean…” his voice was hoarse and dry barely being able to be heard. His stomach ached as the muscle he used to sit up was on fire. His brow felt damp and cool, and it was then that he noticed the damp rag on his legs. She had been looking after him while he was unconscious? She didn’t need to do that, he wasn’t worthless of the kindness and not only that it seemed he had got her in more trouble. ”I apologize…I shouldn’t have rushed out…I thought you were in trouble.” He apologized sheepishly, and the silence that befell them was broken by his stomach growling so loud. He didn’t want to ask for food, but he couldn’t help but be embarrassed as well.