Roleplay Forums > Onnen > Sahel Hightops > Cameroon, The Canopy City > Its Elementalry! [P]
Leita

Character Info
Name: Leita
Alignment: CG
Race: Half Elf
Class: Assistant
Silver: 17
"No no no nope. Already tried this. NOPE!" Leita slammed the book shut and moved on to the next before slamming it close.

She was sitting in an old inn room carved into one of the giant ancient trees.Each room had a different level in the tree, with the highest room being the most expensive and the lowest room being the cheapest. Leita had grabbed herself a mid level room with a single bed and enough space for her to sort through her books. The girl was sitting on her bed with two piles of books between her, one on the left and one on the right. All the books had something to do with magic. Some were old and worn while others were fresh and newly bought.

Ever since she discovered she wasn't talented in earth magic, she'd been desperately searching for her real affinity. Normally she wouldn't be quite so irritated but since Caroline LIED about it, Leita had become quick to anger. Magic was essential in this world. Every important person had some level of magic. By not telling her the truth her former teacher was holding her back.

-I didn't want you to become reliant on your magic.-

Leita gritted her teeth as she remembered Caroline's flimsy excuse. How could anybody believe something like that? Then the thought hit her. What if Caroline had lied just to hide an unpleasant truth? What if she really didn't have any affinity with any magic? She shook her head, not allowing that type of thinking to go any further. If rich petty nobles could use magic then so could she! Besides, she had a mountain of books surrounding her. That's all she needed. The world was written on the pages in ink. She had the entire world in these novels, guides, and texts.

Eventually she came across a unique one. The cover was made in a black and purple leather with some faded words on the cover she couldn't quite make out. With a shrug, she flipped through the pages. The book had that old book smell that always made her feel comfortable so she continued flipping through it. There were some pages about spells, monsters, and other things. She'd grown tired of looking at spells all day so it all flew by her. Except for one thing. On the very last page was a unique spell. It had no pictures, no descriptions, nothing. Just a few words.

"Cum lux praesens est, ita est in umbra,
Ferre, quod tenebrarum et perducat me pacem,
Ego vocatio vos"

After she spoke the words, nothing seemed to happen and she tossed it open onto her bed, giving out a sigh.
Maeve

Character Info
Name: Maeve
Alignment: None
Race: Darkness elemental
Class: Guardian
Silver: 558
It was always dark in the realm where those made of shadow dwelt. It was always night and shadows always shifted, alive with their own spirit unlike most of the shadows of the mortal realm. Maeve has been and been undone many times. Lifetimes of experience pervaded her brain and memories. Most of those years were spent dwelling among humanoids as a humanoid herself. Now she found the pleasure and freedom of an elemental. And yet, something lacked without the presence of another. She never thought ages being alive would permit her to miss the presence of anyone, much less a humanoid as annoying as they could be. 

The darkness shifted around them, twisting and writhing as bolts of purple light flashed like lightning. It looked the same every time a creature or piece of the darkness was pulled through the aether to the mortal realm where shadows were not so alive. Normally she paid it no mind but felt the tingling in her four large legs, the wispy smoke like essence emanating off her was being sucked towards the vortex. It had been a long time since she specifically had been summoned. She turned and sauntered through the flashes of light. 

The room around them dimmed, the light less brighter a moment as the shadow realm touched the realm of the living. The dimness was gone quickly and in its wake was a large panther with vibrant purple eyes yawning and stretching on the bed in the small room. It took her a moment before she realized that she had been summoned by a childlike form. 

The panther hopped off the bed and padded around the girl, taking stock of her as her mind reached out to her. I am Maeve, one of the many elementals of darkness. By sheer fate it seems you have summoned me. Who are you and what do you seek?

After getting her fill, Maeve rested on her back haunches, sitting perfectly poised before the girl who had summoned her. 

Leita

Character Info
The room suddenly dimmed and the lights became nothing more than small flickers. Leita looked up from her pile of books and watched as the dimness faded away, leaving only a large black panther with beautiful purple eyes. Her jaw dropped at the sight, she could barely believe her eyes. How on all of Revaliir did a cat get in her room?! This was Onnen but she was certain the doors and windows were closed. No cat could get in here. The panther reached out to her with its mind and spoke, giving her a decent greeting. She gave out a screech as she backed away from the cat, and fell off her bed landing with a thunk.

Leita popped back up, rubbing her head and ran towards the book she'd just read. When she took the time to translate it, which didn't take long, she realized it was a spell. And not any spell but a summoning one. Now everything made sense. She rushed over to a journal and opened it, revealing a schedule for each day of the week. Taking a quill, she scratched out some things and wrote something else down.

"Good. Now I have time to figure out what the heck I did." Leita muttered to herself.

It was only then did she realize that she hadn't said a word to the creature yet. The panther had been summoned by her. Leita was a lot of things but rude was something she tried to avoid. She stood up and gave the creature an awkward bow, unsure of how to address it.

"So um….Maeve, I think I need your help with….." She paused for a moment before coming up with something, "Um learning magic."

Then she realized the genius of her own words! But first she had to figure out what kind of magic she just used.

"I don't suppose you have any idea what kind of magic I just used?" Leita asked.
Maeve

Character Info
The panther let out a hiss, pawing at her head and ears as the girl shrieked loudly. A panther’s ears were very in tune to the sound around them much like a wolf or any other hunting creature. She had shaken her head to stop the ringing in her ears and was taking a peek over the edge of the bed when the girl jumped up. Maeve had to recoil quickly to prevent their heads from knocking. Goodness this one had so much energy. It was very unlike the lazy atmosphere of the shadow planes. Then again, she recalled from her past lives that the mortal realm could be hectic.

When the girl finally gave her the most awkward and clumsy bow Maeve had ever seen, the panther dipped her large head in greeting. Magic is a fickle thing, though it appears you have some innate talent. Many could work on that spell for months and not manage to touch the planes and summon me. In the darkness it was likely hard to see the black and purple smoke-like wisps that emanated from her fur and the puffs of it that came out when she took a step. That and her peculiarly purple eyes were the only things separating her from a real panther.

I am a shadow elemental. You reached into the shadow plane and brought me here. Though I was once humanoid like you for many lifetimes. Perhaps as you learn magic you can help me learn to shift my form. Only the most powerful among elementals could shift forms as easily as changing clothes, able to be as small as a mouse or as large and intimidating as a dragon. She could imagine herself flying above the world, her shadowy smoke leaving a trail behind her. 

What magic do you seek to know?

Maeve got back up to her feet and padded along the side of the girl, running her ribs along the girl’s legs much like a friendly house cat might, only she was quite a deal larger than an ordinary house cat. It is best to travel while learning magic, I find. Sometimes in past lives it is the most unlikely places where I learned the most important things. She pawed at her own face and licked her paw. But you are young. Where are your parents and why are you alone?

Leita

Character Info
The second the panther began talking, Leita snatched a quill and a blank book for notes. She stared at the creature intensely before jotting down every single word the panther was saying in her mind. The notes were neat and organized in clear handwriting that anybody could read. The girl even included a sketch of the panther that looked semi-accurate. According to Maeve, Leita had some talent in shadow magic, something she knew absolutely nothing about. But the guess was correct. Her shadow magic potential was there, just unknown to her.

"I'd like to know more about this shadow plane and how to do magic like that." She suggested.

If she was able to cast a summoning spell just by reading it out loud, then she couldn't be completely hopeless. The idea of helping this new creature shift to a different form fascinated her. She almost wanted to dissect the panther but it being made of shadows, that probably wouldn't go well. And the creature would object to the idea, with good reason. Perhaps she'd been spending too much time around Caroline.

"I'd rather just find a book or a teacher." Leita said, "I mean there's not much I can learn out there that I can't just learn in a classroom. Besides the world outside is very simple. If I need information about it, I can just read a book or ask."

Then there was a young comment and the questions about her parents. That was a more complicated question. On all technicalities, she didn't have any parents. But at the same time she technically did but had no knowledge of them. Her situation was unique in comparison to most. Leita tried to find a way to respond since she didn't want to confuse Maeve.

"First of all, I'm an adult." She said, "Second…..I don't really have parents. Its….complicated."

Did she really act that childish? Perhaps she needed to create more schedules and obtain more responsibilities. Maybe more lessons and reading will give her maturity? She did read Duke Romance novels but that probably wasn't what most mean by maturity.
Maeve

Character Info
The girl was naturally inquisitive about the shadow plane and the art of shadow weaving. Many a mage or Wizard was but without natural talent, Maeve hardly ever considered showing them anyway. Shadow was not as bendable and submissive as other elements. It was unruly, sneaky, and hard to control. If you weren’t careful you could easily find your own powers turned against you. It is not uncommon to be curious as to how one weaves the darkness. But you must be of strong will if you are to contend with the shadows and make them obey you. It is not like other elements.

Maeve licked her large paw and ran it back and forth across the shining dark fur of her face. It had taken her some time to adjust from human grooming to panther grooming. She used to have the dullest appearance. Now the silk black of her hair gleamed like wet ink as she took pride in her work. 

She stopped and looked up when the girl suggested she could learn everything she needed to know without leaving and exploring. An amused purr rumbled in her throat. Ah is that what you think? True knowledge is found in searching and doing. If you think life is simple you have not experienced enough of it. I will teach you if you listen and follow my advice. Her long, rigid tail flicked every now and then, her whiskers twitching at every distance sound or faint smell. She did have to say being a panther for this life had allowed her to view the world in a way she never knew how. 

The girl seemed very stuck in her ways on many things and hesitant to tell her story. It was no matter, Maeve would find out eventually. The truth always came out in the end. When you have lived as many lifetimes as I have, most people are but children. Purple eyes glinted with curiosity at the girl. The shadow is smooth like smoke. It drifts and always finds its way. It is chilling and mischievous. Tricky and powerful. Shadow exists at almost every point. If you can feel even the smallest shadow you can draw power. Now visualize taking that smoke and weaving it around my neck like a noose and tightening it. 

Her tail flicked again as she settled into her feet. Her senses told her this would be an interesting student. Do try not to kill me.

Leita

Character Info
It seemed everyone was determined to get her out of her room. The idea of going outside her safe and comfortable room made her uneasy. But if both Caroline and Maeve were suggesting the idea, then she probably needed get this over with. What the world could offer that her precious books couldn't, she had no idea. Yet, she wouldn't turn down this new opportunity to learn. Then there was the fact that this shadow creature was apparently really old. Anybody who claimed to have lived lifetimes was old. After she finished taking notes, she put her book to the side and continued listening to Maeve's instructions. She slid off the bed and walked towards the panther, giving her a nod.

"I'll be careful." Leita promised.

Holding out her hand, she envisioned a strand of shadow separating from the smoke. The shadow swirled around the panther's neck before tightening. The strength was barely enough to harm a baby let alone a strong elemental. Leita was hesitating in fear she might actually heart the creature. She had it close up a little further but never let herself come close to causing any damage.

"How was that?" She asked, "Was my stance good? Do I need to be more firm? Is there anything I can improve upon?"

Already she was asking questions to make this tiny little spell perfect. The girl didn't care if it was her first spell or her hundredth, it needed to be perfect. That raw desire for perfection fueled her soul and was the reason she practiced relentlessly with her old earth magic. If she ever had any talent with earth magic then she would have been exceptional at that type. Leita lowered her hand and looked towards Maeve curiously.

"So why are you helping me?" She asked with a slight suspicion, "I appreciate it but I was under the impression shadow magic was mischievous and tricky. If that's the case, then what do you get out of this? Is it because I summoned you?"

At one point, she wanted to trust the panther but at the other point, she had no idea why this elemental seemed so interested in helping. Was it just because she summoned Maeve or was there something else going on.

"Sorry, that probably seemed rude." Leita realized, "You've offered to help and I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth."
Maeve

Character Info
There was truly no replacement for actual worldly experience. Books had their place and were nice supplements and in some cases replacements when there was no practical way of experiencing what you needed. Unfortunately the timid and the bookish thought books were fine replacements for everything, and it was why in the end they lacked. You needed a healthy balance just like most things in life. Maeve knew this better than most. Not simply because of the combined knowledge of her past lives but because of what she was. Shadow needed a balance of light and darkness. 

Maeve was careful to observe the girl as she got to her feet and readied herself. The stance wasn’t awful but could use some improvement. Her focus seemed clear as there was no stuttering or confusion in the shadow as it separated from the others. The stand wound around her thick neck. She was waiting for pressure when she realized that there was pressure. Clearly the girl was afraid to hurt her new mentor. She chuckled under her breath until she released her neck from her grasp. Hopefully she wasn’t as afraid to hurt someone who was intending on hurting or killing her. 

Immediately the girl launched into a slew of questions, the mark of a good student and one who genuinely wanted to learn and perfect not just go about tossing shadows. “Slow down!” Maeve got to her feet and asked the girl to repeat her stance and stay still. The panther circled closely, nudging it pawing a foot or an arm until everything was perfectly aligned and the magic would slow smoothly. “There. You weren’t very far off. Should help smooth the path through your body now.” 

The girl finally questioned Maeve’s motive. It didn’t make her nervous because truly she didn’t have one her tail twitched and she yawned healthily. “Yes the magic is that way but the people who wield are not always the same. They have souls and personalities are own. The connection with the dark influences them but it does not dominate them. In most cases.” It was always important to never lose sight of one selves when dealing with magic of the dark. You might find yourself down a hole with no way out. 

“I guess in some sense I do have a duty as you summoned me but also it gets lonely. I have had many students come and grow old and wither and die. Friends the same. I had family some time ago too but I don’t know if their descendants are still here.” While some thought being an elemental was easy it often made you miss things, a fact more pronounced if you at some point had been a person. 

Leita

Character Info
There was still so much left to learn. But it seemed she had someone on her side, someone she'd accidentally summoned. An ancient being made of shadows who lived far longer than she or almost anybody she knew. She felt pity for the creature, with all its immortality and powers she would never build a deep connection that would last. Leita couldn't figure out what to say in response to Maeve's conversation about family and friends. It was an awkward subject, especially since this was the first time she'd ever met Maeve.

"That's rough." Leita managed to say, "Well, I suppose since you're going be teaching me, you'll want your own room right? And if I"m going to be studying shadow magic I'll need some more materials…not to mention books."

She rushed over to her journal and began making a list of things she needed to get and began rescheduling. On her journal, there was a tight schedule that included everything from work, taking trips, paying for things, travel, and using the bathing room. There were a couple of breaks but much more work than one would expect. Her quill sped across the parchment as she began crossing out areas and making room for training sessions. Then a thought occurred to her and she looked up at Maeve.

"Would you want to visit those descendants or see if they are still around?" Leita asked, "If we must travel then I'd like to have some goal at the end of it. Visiting your descendants might be a perfect goal."

Leita wasn't going to just travel around for the promise of potential knowledge. She needed some defined goal that they could work towards. Something that they could figure out as they traveled. But the other part of it was that Leita didn't want to owe Maeve anything. Leita summoned the shadow panther but that didn't mean she owned her. This creature was completely independent and offering valuable knowledge. It would be wrong to just take that training without giving in turn. Looking towards Maeve, the girl tried to figure out what was going on in that mystical creature's head.

"Its up to you." She stated.