Roleplay Forums > Parvpora > The Sacred Land of Abed > The Blessed City of Abed > Hell's Paradise [O][Event]
Kazahana

Character Info
Name: Sanaki Kasuga
Alignment: TG
Race: Oni
Class: War Priestess
Silver: 0
"I'm finally here." Her voice was almost monotone, with a hint of uneasiness mixed in. Sanaki had been extremely anxious during the voyage from Abed. Now that she was here, that disquieting feeling had intensified twofold. The war priestess had been sent here on behalf of the fishing communities in Ataiyo in hopes of recovering their missing friends and family. Abed was not the only land affected by this strange phenomena, and Nisshoki was the closest on this side of Parvpora. As soon as she stepped onto the white sand, she could feel an overwhelming presence of spiritual power–larger than anything she had ever experienced before. The power was so great that she couldn't pinpoint where it was coming from no matter how hard she focused. The fact she couldn't discern its source or location was utterly terrifying. Having heard the rumors of this mysterious new land, she began to move quickly. The longer one stayed the greater the mind-altering effects of this area would take hold. Finding the missing fishermen and sailors were her first and foremost priority. If she came across the source of that oppressive power that permeated the entire island, then she would deal with that as well.

She feared that this would be her greatest challenge yet as a priestess. Her blossom pink hair was braided and tied back while she was dressed in full regalia according to her station. With each step closer towards the golden spires, she could sense that great spiritual force intensify. "Now where would the missing individuals be on this island?" She asked herself, gazing upward at the tiered city. There was no time to lose; she had to hurry! 

"Be as swift as the wind, as silent as the forest, fierce like fire, and immovable like a mountain."
Leita

Character Info
Name: Leita
Alignment: CG
Race: Half Elf
Class: Assistant
Silver: 17
Leita didn't like this place at all. Caroline had been sending her update letters and had requested her assistance presence and to bring all her money with her. The trouble? Well Caroline had stated she wanted to go alone for this mission. In fact her teacher was very specific on that and stated that Leita shouldn't go to the island under any circumstances. And the letter was written weirdly. Miss Einsecc always had a specific signature with a curl at the end of her last c. The letter lacked anything like that. This and the reputation the island received made her scared. However, Caroline's anger at her disobeying orders was scarier. So she left the ship with her backpack on her shoulders and a belt with equipment around her hips. Everything was unfamiliar. She didn't even have a map or any clue where Caroline might have run off to. This was why she liked to stay home and read her books. 

But she would have to complain later. Right now she was on a mission. To find Caroline and stay out of trouble! But knowing Caroline, she'd already gotten herself into trouble for the sake of research. As she walked towards the golden spires, she felt something strange. A pulling sense but not one she wanted to follow. It made goosebumps crawl along her skin. Her eyes scanned the crowd, trying to see if anybody had felt it. Maybe it was just her imagination. In the crowd she did see something familiar. A head of pink hair with a distinct set of clothes that she had seen somewhere before. 

"Sanaki?" Leita called out. 

Shoving her way through the crowd, she managed to get closer to the woman. Up close Leita could see her guess was correct. It was Sanaki, a woman she had met on the beach. The lady was nice and powerful. Somebody she could rely on and who probably would help her out, if she asked really nicely. Or if she gave her some books as a bargaining device. Leita tapped the woman on the shoulder.

"Miss Sanaki? Its me, Leita!" She said with a smile. 
Kazahana

Character Info
Sanaki jumped, and was relieved when she saw who had tapped her on the shoulder. But that relief soon turned to worry. "Leita? You're here too?" She tried to hide her fear at the discovery of an acquaintance being here in this dangerous place. "How–why are you here?" It seemed that the girl wasn't showing any changes in behavior or demeanor from what she recalled in their first meeting. It was a good sign at least. "A lot of people have come to this island for varying reasons, but I fear that this might only add to the numbers of missing people. I myself was hesitant to come, but someone needs to find those fishermen and sailors in order to bring them back." Normally she would have kept her composure, but the anxiety caused by what she had learned was making that impossible now. She threw a nervous glance towards the jungle and by extension, the city. "There is something terrible about this land. Something fundamentally wrong in ways I can't even fathom. And whatever it is, it's powerful."

She gripped one of her folding fans in her hand, and for a brief second the deep-seated fear she had throughout her entire being showed in her eyes. Behind them there was the metallic clanking of an anchor being raised, informing them that if they wanted to get off, they would have to survive until the next ship came into the harbor. They walked into the unknown with little to no knowledge on what they were dealing with. But this time they were risking more than their lives, but their minds too.  

"Be as swift as the wind, as silent as the forest, fierce like fire, and immovable like a mountain."
Leita

Character Info
The worry Sanaki was trying to hide was clear and it reflected Leita's own worry. She had been training to fight with Bradyn but she knew going toe to toe with a demon or any creature stronger than that was a death sentence for her. And the island had already overtaken warriors and spell casters far stronger than she. However, she was determined to find Caroline and prove her usefulness to Sanaki. She could find someway to help. Somehow. Her bag was packed with useful items and equipment. Everything from a grappling hook attached to her pack to a sewing kit in case their clothes got messed up during a fight. And plenty of books in case they needed instructions on how to use the equipment or if they needed to look up details on the history of Abed. 

"I got a letter signed by Miss Einsecc demanding my presence. But I don't think she wrote it." Leita explained, "It's not her writing style and the signature is weird. And she instructed me to specifically stay away from the island before she came to investigate the island. I came anyway in case I was wrong and to check up on her." 

She was genuinely concerned about Caroline and wouldn't leave unless she knew her teacher was healthy and safe. Besides, Caroline would probably want to leave the island anyway. The place was too perfect and didn't have any scientific or magical explanation yet. Those two things alone would make her want to rip the island in two for answers. Leita listened to Sanaki's explanation. Leita had heard about fishermen and sailors going missing. The rumors of the kingdom had reached Onnen and was the gossip of a village they lived next to. 

"I tried researching historical documents about Abed but they didn't mention this place." Leita explained, "So I don't think its a returning piece of land. Its gotta be new. Miss Caroline also mentioned that she suspected the lotus flowers. My teacher sent researchers beforehand to the island and they sent back some letters before we lost contact. They mentioned the golden lotus flowers and how the locals were eating massive amounts of it. They also said something about how they hated the vines but that was around the time the letters stopped arriving."

Leita heard the clanking of the anchor being lifted and she began to head further into the island before turning to Sanaki. 

"Well we came here to get stuff done. We can't turn back now." She commented, "Don't worry, I'll keep an eye on you. If you start going crazy like the locals, I'll do my best to save you." 

The truth was that she was scared but she held a brave face for her own sake and for Sanaki. This was dangerous but at least they weren't going alone. 
Kazahana

Character Info
Sanaki listened carefully as Leita gave her explanation for coming to Kavala. Her mentor, Miss Einsecc, had arrived earlier. However like all those who entered this place, something had happened. It was fortunate that Leita had spent time looking for any mention of this newly emerged kingdom beforehand; the priestess wasn't able to conduct her own research investigation with the influx of requests for help and providing comfort to the families who were affected. "I fear your suspicions may be correct. From the reports of all known cases of missing persons, very few have sent back letters or communicated with family or acquaintances before contact was lost altogether. If those letters were indeed written by her, then that might give us a small sliver of hope in finding her–and everyone else. If she and other people were able to send messages out of Kavala, then there is a chance she was able to find something before…before she stopped writing." She stopped herself mid-sentence when she realized that her words might hurt Leita more.

"Thanks to the other researchers' efforts and her own selfless sacrifice, we can better guard ourselves against what powers are at work here. The lotus flowers must be part of it, there is no mistake. And what sort of vines were they talking about? That might be the reason why the letters stopped." Perhaps they had stumbled upon a forbidden secret that the inhabitants of Kavala were willing to conceal at all costs. As they saw the ship disappear on the horizon, Leita broke the silence with a few words of encouragement. Turning to her friend, Sanaki gave a wistful smile. "Thank you. Leita. And I'll do the same for you too. It's a promise." With emboldened resolve, she faced the jungle and looked back at the shining city. "Let's go. There's no way to avoid it now. We need to get to the bottom of this–for Miss Einsecc's sake and for everyone else."

Together they ventured into the rainforest, leaving the white sandy beach behind. As they entered the jungle, the footprints they had left in the sand began to slowly disappear…

Leita

Character Info
Leita was fully aware that her mentor might be dead but she pushed those thoughts aside. Thinking like that would only make her feel worse, not better. She had to keep hope no matter what! Besides she needed to help bring up Sanaki's resolve. As they walked further into the jungle, she noticed how the footprints they left slowly vanished. Maybe it was magic? She decided to ignore it and focus on finding the people missing. The golden spires ahead reflected the light of the sun, making the entire city a beacon of sunshine. Everything was shining and brilliant, which made her jaw almost drop. There wasn't even a homeless person in sight! A part of her wished this paradise wasn't evil. A place where there was no evil, starvation, or harm seemed ideal. Leita shut down those thoughts as fast as possible. As Caroline once said, if you can't see the evil then it hides just underneath that layer of goodness. There was a good, evil, and neutral side to anything that existed. 

As they traveled through the city, Leita noticed the vibrant murals that dotted the walls. She took the time to sketch and describe each one, hoping that it would provide clues that would make sense later. Serpent dragons were the most popular topic in all of the art. The serpent dragons were on fountains and carved into the walls and even some of the bricks they walked on had drawings of the serpent dragons. 

"There's a lot of serpent dragons in the artwork." She commented before turning to Sanaki, "Oh I know! They've got to have a library. Maybe we can find some history records and figure out why the island is like this!"

"Miss Leita!" A mans voice called to her. 

Turning around, she felt a pair of hands clutch her shoulder and she realized she was looking at one of the researchers they sent to the island. Andrew Melver was the last researcher they'd sent out before Caroline decided to visit herself. But he looked strange. His breath smelled of lotus blooms and he had a wide deep smile, as though he couldn't stop himself. His clothes were a mess and his eyes were wide with terror. 

"Mister Melver?" Leita said surprised, "What happened to you?"

"Did bring the money?!" The man asked, "I need to buy more of that delicious ambrosia."

"I…wait you sent those letters? I thought it was Caroline-" But she was interrupted. 

"Yes yes. I sent them. I saw Caroline but she refused our gifts! That's why I asked you to come here." He said before his voice grew into a soft whisper, "Help us. PLEASE!"

His eyes began tearing up but that plastered smile remained on his face. The hands around her shoulders began to press into her skin as the tears dropped to the ground. Suddenly, one of the locals yanked him off and began to hold him. While another one was holding a goblet of ambrosia, ready to give to the poor man. Andrew's eyes widened as he struggled but he seemed to be smiling wider, if such a thing was possible. 

"Oh dear guests. Its alright. You don't need to buy our ambrosia." One of the locals said with a smile. 

They pried his mouth open and poured the ambrosia down his throat. Some of the liquid fell out of the cup and dropped into his eyes but instead of screaming, he began laughing. Once he drank everything in the goblet, the locals dropped him to the ground. He remained there, laughing with pain in his eyes. The locals turned to them, holding up more goblets of ambrosia. 

"Drink and be happy with us." The locals said in unison. 

Leita stepped away from the locals and behind Sanaki, absolutely terrified. Her hand subtly detached the grappling hook and she clutched to it as though it would protect her against these fearsome locals. 
Kazahana

Character Info
Sanaki was stunned speechless when they saw the city up close. She had spent many years in the Spirit Realm, so fantastical and otherworldly places weren't unfamiliar to her. However, she had never seen so much gold in one place in all her life. For a human city, the fact they could afford to use gold like paint was a testament to this kingdom's wealth. Everything from the streets to the walls were completely spotless. All the buildings and houses were all in excellent condition, and there wasn't any wear on the pavement. Everything here seemed perfect and nothing was out of place. That was the very reason why underneath her initial sense of relief, there was a disquieting feeling. The area of the city they were in was the lowest level, with different districts rising upwards in ascending order until you could see a grand palace at the top. The design of this city seemed odd to her; wouldn't it be much easier to travel between districts if they were all built on a single level plain? Perhaps this was a psychological statement on their part. Those of higher status were physically and figuratively above those who were beneath them. 

Another thing the city didn't lack was artwork. In addition to displaying their wealth, the Kavalans had a fondness for fine crafts. Public spaces were decorated with fountains, statues, and murals. From what she could gather, there were a few artistic elements which were almost always present no matter the medium. Dragons resembling those from Ataiyo, idyllic scenes of life, and the lotus flower were the main subject or liberally used. One particular mural in question was most striking to the priestess. It was far longer than any other mural they had seen, and its great length accommodated the life-sized painting of a serpentine dragon battling a tiger. The dragon was bearing down on the tiger from above, while the tiger was pinned beneath it. Its golden eyes glared downward as its teeth were bared in a snarl, its claws tearing into its enemy. The tiger was looking over its shoulder with its fangs bared in retaliation. Sanaki couldn't help but feel pity for the poor beast. It was land-bound, while the dragon had the advantage of being in the air. 

Leita shared her thoughts about the mural and what they had seen up to this point, but before she could reply–a stranger interrupted. A man who seemed to know her friend grasped at the dark-haired girl's shoulder, desperation in his eyes. He was disheveled and there was something clearly wrong. A strong floral scent was coming off of his breath. As the two women listened to the man ramble on, Sanaki realized that he must have sent those letters as a last resort to escape the island. His manic smile was a front, one he had to put up in order to survive. While Leita and Mr. Melver spoke with each other, Sanaki saw men and women dressed in flowing garments come towards them. Their faces were blissful and blithe, but the pace at which they were running was anything but. She quickly grabbed Leita's arm–the one that was closest to her–and lightly squeezed with a sense of urgency. She watched in silent horror as the Kavalans forcibly pulled the scholar away and poured a honey-colored liquid down his throat. It was a sight more gruesome than what was left of a mountain hag's victims. 

It was no surprise that the two were stricken with fear when the Kavalans turned their gazes upon them. She had to think fast. Quickly putting her emotions under control, Sanaki gave a warm and gentle smile to those robed in silks and gossamer. "My, how gracious of you! We have never seen such hospitality outside of these walls. I have not been here long, but I am amazed at the splendor and beauty of your kingdom." She turned to admire the buildings and artistic structures. "Truly it is a beautiful place to live." One of the women responded with a tone of elation.

"Why yes! Our city is more beautiful than any other. Outside of Kavala, there are so many poor unfortunate souls who suffer every day. The rulers care not for their needs, and their society only blesses the noble or wealthy. But not here–everyone in Kavala is blessed. And it is all thanks to our king. He ensures that his people never want for anything, and that all are provided for. You must sample some of our local delicacies–especially our ambrosia. Its fragrance is sweeter than honey, and its taste is absolutely divine!" 

Keeping her composure, Sanaki gave a nod in agreement. "Is that so? I'd like to have a taste then, allow me." Snatching a goblet before one of the citizens could offer it a second time, Sanaki raised the cup to her lips. As the jeweled cup began to tilt, she suddenly flung it back into their faces, splashing them with the amber liquid. With her other hand, she sent a powerful gust of wind from her folding fan, pushing the Kavalans back to buy them more time. She turned and grabbed Leita by the arm as she shouted: "RUN!" There was no time to help Mr. Melver–they would be of no use to anyone if they were caught by the kingdom's citizens too.

Leita

Character Info
When Sanaki pulled her away, Leita didn't resist. She was horrified by the way the Kavalans treated the poor man. As the locals came closer, Leita desperately looked around for some sort of escape. There was only two of them and many locals. Any sort of fighting would result in defeat. But they couldn't surrender after seeing what had happened to Mr. Melver. Yet Sanaki, instead of being terrified, gave them a warm smile and began to politely speak with them. Terror filled her eyes as she watched the Kavala local suggest sampling one of their drinks. All it would take is one sip to become exactly like them. Then Sanakit took the goblet. Leita bit down on her tongue to keep herself from shouting for her to stop. Sanaki was smart. She wouldn't fall for this. Just as Leita was about to try to stop Sanaki, she tossed the amber liquid into the eyes of the locals. 

The locals screeched in pain then were flung back by the gust of wind from Sanaki's fan. Relief flooded through Leita's mind as she realized her friend wasn't going to be overtaken. The panic returned when Sanaki grabbed her arm and they raced down the streets. Mr. Melver was left behind but at that point, he was probably already gone. They would have to return for him later. The locals pushed themselves to their feet and ran after them. As Leita and Sanaki ran, they passed all sorts of citizens and even some tourists in the process of conversion. Locals began to join the building crowd chasing them. They couldn't outrun the crowd forever! Leita's legs were starting to grow tired but she pushed further at the same speed. Up ahead, she noticed a fork in the path and an alleyway a little to the left. 

Green magic glowed from her right hand as she reached towards the ground. A stone wall erupted from the path instantly and hit one of the locals in the jaw, sending him flying into the air. The wall was connected to the two buildings on either side and was too tall to be climbed. But Leita knew it would last long. She snatched Sanaki's arm and yanked her into the alleyway. The wall was meant as a barrier and as a cover to prevent the locals from seeing where they went. Leita's eyes spotted what she wanted to see. A metal circle in the ground that read -Drainage system-. Leita pulled off the metal cover and jumped into the dark hole. She hit the ground with a splash and looked up to beckon Sanaki down. Once Sanaki joined her and covered the entrance back up with the cover, she could hear her wall crumble. 

Leita held perfectly still and held her breath as she listened to the feet above them running against the ground in multiple directions. Her heart beat loudly in her ears as she waited for the locals to leave. It took a few moments but eventually the locals decided to search elsewhere for them. Once they were gone, Leita rummaged around in her backpack until she found a torch and the matchsticks. She lit the torch on fire and light illuminated the tunnel. Turning to Sanaki, she went to her friend's side to see if she was doing fine. 

"Are you okay?" Leita asked. 

The locals wouldn't be much help to them, that was clear. Leita stood up straight and used her torch to investigate a bit of the underground tunnels. Water rushed through the tunnels and smelled of dirt, indicating it came from a garden or farm or something. They wouldn't be able to drink the water and would have to avoid touching their mouths or eyes until they could get to safety. They could head right or left, both tunnels were darkened. The only sounds they could hear was the town above them and the dripping of water from the ceiling. Leita brought out her notebook and carefully laid it on her lap while sitting against the wall. She wrote with her free hand what had happened to them, in case they didn't make it and someone tried to follow in their footsteps. Once she was done, she shut the notebook and returned it to her bag. Something about what the locals had said bothered her. 

"They said it was all thanks to their king."  Leita commented, "I wonder if that means he's the source of the problem…Which way should we go now?"
Maximellian Rosa Chinesis III

Character Info
Name: Maximellian Rosa Chinesis III
Race: Human
Class: Noble/Paladin
Silver: 46
Alone amongst the thick layers of lush vegetation, Maximellian trudged over the many obstacles these foreign jungles confronted him with. Step by careful step he weaved around vines, roots and shrubs as his armoured gauntlets brushed the greenery away from the path in front of him. Bound to complete a quest given to him by one of his townspeople to find a lost soul who went by the name Metaya Doum, he had been dropped off onto the island by a creepy masked and hooded stranger in a tiny row boat. Maximellian was adamant to return with some evidence of this person whether it be in death or life. Oddly requested privately for this venture, only half way through the forest did the paladin realise that he had been misled entirely. Metaya Doum was a false trick, there was no such individual and now he was lost on his own in the middle of a forest, unequipped and exceedingly unprepared. He needed to find others quickly.

A few hours of the jungle’s scenic charm had quickly grown tedious for the Paladin. Untrained in the ways of navigation through rainforests with very little in the way of sunlight, directional signs or a pathway, he was out of his depth. Alas, he had not lost hope. He was Maximellian Rosa Chinesis the Third, the first of his line and he would not be stopped by some mere plantlife. If there was anybody who needed to be saved in the midst of these god forsaken trees, he was going to be the one to do it.  

Once again hope held out for the young man. From behind the frond of a large overhanging plant, a gold light shone in the far distance and as he pushed past, he saw it, a city of gold. Awe thundered through the very core of his body as the path soon became clear. Only children's tales told of cities of gold made by the very gods themselves. Old tales of greedy fools who dared to find such a place and yet, here it was. Step after short step, his body moved without so much as a thought as his eyes trained upon this great city. The closer he drew toward it, the more impressive it became, as did his reflection. Murals of dragons, tigers and great serpents, beautifully inlaid to create an elegant exterior. Magnificent though eerie for a place in the middle of nowhere, his eyes wandered for the missing link. Unlike any other city he had ever seen, the streets remained absent of poverty or decay in spite of the lack of guard or any military force.

“RUN!” a woman’s cry sounded in the distance, followed by a domino of locals who were knocked back by a blast of wind. His eyes cast over to the locals and then to the other two running from what looked to be some kind of mob and considered it for a moment. Both looked interesting, but his gut told him to go with the minority.

Decidedly running in the general direction the other two were headed, he was fortunate enough to be just beyond the wall that appeared from nowhere, moving as fast as his training allowed him to sprint in his best attempt to follow them. Instead of finding them though, he somehow ended up in an alleyway looking around hopelessly for where they had gone. He was sure they had gone this way. Panting breathlessly, he regained himself against one of the walls.

“Well at least if I die here, I’ll be in good company” he muttered to himself, admiring the appearance of his own reflection “Damn I look good.”

Sounds of crumbling stone jolted the paladin from his short session of admiration as he realised he should probably find a place to hide. “I’ll deal with you later,” he promised to himself as his eyes darted around for the promise of a hiding place. Unfortunately the only promising hiding place he found in this location was a manhole cover leading toward a sewer.

Inwardly frustrated at whatever god it was that decided his fate that day, Maximellian took in a deep breath “It’s only bodily waste, it’s only bodily waste…” he muttered, quickly hoping down the hole and closing it shut behind him.

“I am never telling anybody about this,”
he spoke aloud then realised his voice echoed softly through the chamber below him. Though he knew not why those villagers were chasing the two, if they were lost outsiders like him he knew it was a high possibility that he would be chased next. After all, who wouldn’t want to chase after a fabulous golden haired picture of society like himself? No.  As much as he hated it, he was much safer here laying low for now until he knew everyone’s motives.

Kazahana

Character Info
With Leita's quick thinking, they managed to evade the Kavalans by fleeing into the city's drainage system. There was no other option available, so Sanaki threw herself down it without hesitation. Survival was all that was on her mind. Holding her breath, she could hear her own heart beating as footsteps passed over them. She prayed to all the powers in the world that they wouldn't be discovered, and that the ancestral spirits would lead their enemies astray. Once the pounding of her heart settled down, she let out a shaky sigh. "Are you okay?" Leita had lit a torch and was looking back at her. Sanaki nodded as she was still catching her breath. The water here thankfully wasn't sewage, but the smell was rank like rotting plant matter. It was also humid, and there was moss on the walls. "I'm afraid we won't be able to show our faces in the city anymore. If we plan to go back, we'll have to be twice as vigilant." While their teamwork had bought them a temporary reprieve from falling victim to the ambrosia, they still had to find where Miss Einsecc and the others were being kept. 

As Sanaki began to survey their surroundings, her friend brought up something one of the Kavalans had said before she had thrown the golden liquor back into their faces. "That might be possible. But if that is true, then we are dealing with an incredibly powerful sorcerer. Not many beings are capable of exerting their influence over an entire region." Those that could were the last things priestesses like her wanted to encounter. Such beings were typically very old–and very powerful. They would have formed a bond with the very land itself to achieve such a level of control. Now they had to figure out what their next course of action would be. "After what we saw, I'm not sure anymore. It seems that no place is truly safe on this island. But at least we know things are worse within the city than they are outside. Let's try to see if any of these tunnels lead back to the jungle. At least there might be more hiding places there." And she didn't want to think what would happen if they were cornered down here. 

Taking out a lantern made of dark wood, it took a few moments for the flame to ignite before it was able to illuminate their general area further. This was one of the many tools she had on her person to aid her with her work. Often tracking down malevolent spirits and evil beasts required the use of divination or magical tools since mundane means were not always effective. This particular lantern was known to direct one towards one's desires. So if she filled her thoughts with wanting to find a safe exit out into the rainforest, it should comply. In the damp darkness of the tunnels, Sanaki noticed that there were sounds of footsteps that weren't their own. Walking beside Leita, she leaned by her ear and said in a low whisper: "Something else is here." With her eyes, she motioned behind them.