Roleplay Forums > Parvpora > Republic of Karith > City of Karith > Ginseng and Lotus Seeds [P]
Mithridate

Character Info
Name: Efrain Albaret
Alignment: LN
Race: Rosenite
Class: Alchemist
Silver: 0
'Don't stray too far from your siblings,' His mother said. Against his protests and wishes he was dragged out of the comforts of his room and shuffled onto an airship bound for Karith. They said it was just a day trip, but he honestly couldn't be bothered. Efrain had been told a week in advance about today, and a week earlier he had said no. Since he told him what he felt, the boy thought they understood. It would appear this wasn't the case. His older brother and sister tried bribing him with promises of interesting things and sweets, but he would have none of it. It was frustrating when people failed to take his words at face value. 

While his brother and mother were browsing the market, he was stuck with his sister inside an apothecary's shop. She was busy looking at the man's collection of deer antlers and dried sea cucumbers, but Efrain was absolutely and utterly bored. There was nothing to read, and he had seen all the contents of the man's medicine drawers by now. Sitting at the counter on a stool, he had his head leaning on his elbow with annoyance written all over his face. After sitting in silence for an eternity, he glanced over to see his sister's back was turned and the old man currently busy. Sliding off his seat, he slipped out the door to take his own tour around the city. Most of the market stalls were cheap things sold to unsuspecting tourists, and the good stock was only known to people who were locals or those who knew where to look. 

On the ride here, his mother told him Karith was a city of alchemists. This had raised his hopes a little, only for him to find disappointment at a distinct lack of such people. His mother tried to explain that the alchemists were likely busy at work, and wouldn't be performing their craft out in the open like herbalists would. But to Efrain, these were all excuses. However not all hope was lost–if this was a city of alchemists, then he should be able to buy some alchemist's things. He wanted something more than what his mother had at home, and there weren't any books that went in depth on the topic as much as he wanted. 

Walking with a purpose in mind, he pushed open the door to an old book shop, ringing the bell. It was currently empty, and the dust here meant this place didn't see much business. An aged man with a wispy long beard adjusted the circular spectacles resting upon his nose. "Hello young master, how may I serve you today?" Efrain pulled himself up to the counter and looked up at the man. "Do you have any old books? Good ones, things people actually use instead of leaving them sitting on a shelf just to look fancy." The man raised his eyebrows, and chuckled at the boy's attitude. "Well, that depends on what you consider as 'good'. Why don't you tell me a few topics you would like to see?" Leaning on his elbow, the boy thought aloud. "Let me see… Medicine, magic, or alchemy. I don't want to read any primers, I've seen those already."

Pick your poison…
Ridgewell

Character Info
Name: Ridgewell
Race: Hellcat
Class: Butler/Servant
Silver: 17
Ridgewell steadied himself slightly as the floating gondola came to scraping halt against the chiseled stone of the marketplace. He glanced up briefly from his mysterious little mook with his feline-like eyes and studied the scene instantly with all of his senses. Workers of the boats scrambling to move people or product. Hooded men hurrying in the streets; most likely alchemists. Parents in fine clothes hurrying children along through the market place. The smell of spices and chemicals wafting in the air. Merchants yelling out products, sales, specials, and prices. Karith was a beautiful city built upon business, trade, discovery, and…of course…greed. Which is what brought Ridgewell's undying curiosity here in the first place. Maybe the tight-lipped alchemists here would be willing to talk to him if they knew what exactly he was.

Ridgewell noticed that the gondola workers were still busying themselves with the moorings to secure the craft so he quickly glanced back down to his little black book in hopes to get a few more moments of reading in. As he quickly turned the next page he heard a slight cracking sound and felt the covers that he held between his hands go slightly more loose. Without showing any emotion he turned the book around and noticed that the deep black cover had split down the spine. Ridgewell sighed deeply as the moorings were finally secured and passengers were spilling off of the gondola he was on.

First things first, I suppose. Ridgewell thought with relent, To the booksellers…then I can find some people with the best things to "sell."

Will a smile on his face again, Ridgewell moved off the gondola and headed in what seemed like the best direction where booksellers would be. He passed many shops with potions, spices, and food until he realized he went the wrong direction. He turned around with his rigid and perfect posture and whistled with his book in his pocket and umbrella hooked on his arm. He arrived in a dusty portion of the market where there were more educational pursuits. He passed shops that sold the most beautiful of pens, eye glasses, mechanical devices, and, of course, alchemy. Ridgewell finally arrived to the doorsteps of an aged bookshop. The dusty smell and ambiance of age let Ridgewell know this was the right place. His eyes gleamed brightly as he pushed the door open and listened to a cheery bell ring out above him. 

"…seen those already." Came the young voice to Ridgewell's ears as he noticed he was not alone. He noticed a young gentleman at the desk of an old scholar. The old man was quickly glancing between the young man and Ridgewell trying to decide what to do with "so many" customers at once. His wispy beard was practically poofing up with anxiety.  Ridgewell just waved an empty hand at the old man to let him continue with his first customer while he browsed. The old man seemed to relax before moving on. 

Mithridate

Character Info
Name: Efrain Albaret
Race: Rosenite
Class: Alchemist
Silver: 0
The elderly shopkeeper acknowledged the man behind with a glance, before returning to handle the picky young customer sitting in front of him. "Ahh, quite the studious one I see. Very well. If you will excuse me, perhaps there might be a volume or two in the back." The man smiled, the corners of his eyes creasing his crow's feet even deeper. Efrain gave him a nod while leaning on his hand, watching him disappear into the back of the shop. Tapping his fingers on the counter impatiently, he hoped this wouldn't take long. Not that he was worried his sister would realize he was gone or anything, but he'd prefer to be back at the apothecary's before his mother came to round them up. He wasn't interested in getting a scolding.

The bespectacled man returned with a few books, with leather covers and a thickness greater than one inch. He eyed them with scrutiny as opposed to other children whose eyes lit up before they even knew if it was something they'd like. "Here we are. Now I believe you might find these subjects interesting." Patting the book with the dark brown cover, he opened it to show Efrain the contents. "This here is a book written by a famous Karithian physician on acupuncture. It is a translated reprint, however it still has the original charts and diagrams from the original publication." Pushing the book with an olive-green cover the shopkeeper explained: "And this is an anthology compiling various folk remedies and herbal prescriptions used in traditional Karithian medicine. To understand the terms used in describing the diseases and illnesses, I suggest studying the humors and their effects on the body. Now, why don't you browse through them?"

"…Alright then. I'll buy them if they really are as good as you say." Stacking the two together, he pulled a chair aside and began reading in a corner. He had thrown a glance at the sharp-dressed man standing around in the shop, but didn't address him. He was old enough to know better than to talk to suspicious people, which was what he immediately assumed upon his first impression. Why in the world should he talk to some stranger? Who knew what sort of horrible, ill intentions they had in mind?

Pick your poison…