Roleplay Forums > Parvpora > Republic of Iria > Iria City > And so it begins [P, R]
Miscuit

Character Info
Name: Leandra Berolt
Alignment: LE
Race: Human
Class: Sorceress
Silver: 161
Leandra sat in the tavern sipping her mead, holding the letters that seemed to have taken too long to arrive. The woman needed to devise a way to remind her family that she is staying away of her own accord, that would not compromise the sense of duty and arrangement with her family that had led to her to staying away. A certain fairy came to mind causing Leandra to smirk at the letters, fairies were known to like mischief and to adore the breaking of deals. Surely they were not fond of deal breakers. Raya, as the little one liked to be called, had received help from Leandra. Surely causing some mischief on a deal breaker would not be too much to ask of the fey in return for the help Leandra had provided her.

The fey often seemed uncomfortable with just receiving help without cost, this was something Leandra needed that the fey could do as payment. These thoughts allowed Leandra to accept the idea that this would be not asking much of, or anything unfair of5 the fey. Then, if after all if they were friends like the fairy addressed her, was it really asking anything? The idea of the fairy being her friend changed the woman’s expression to contemplation. The woman drank again from her cup, Leandra was not quite sure they were friends, though she definitely enjoyed getting/making things for the fairy and found her amusing. Leandra willfully ignored the fact that, either way, Raya was the closest being the woman had to a friend.

Smiling Leandra imagined sending the fairy to meet her family, trying to imagine what sort of pranks she would play. Of course, Raya seemed kind of timid. Maybe Leandra would have to wait until the fey found more of her own kind. The woman frowned realizing she had not seen her small friend in a while. Had the fairy gotten herself lost again; it had happened before. Unease filled the woman, Raya had promised to tell her before she left for her own kind, and surely, she wouldn’t have abandoned her. The woman reminded herself that she had to gate travel to retrieve the fairy before and fairies did not break deals. Had the fey gotten herself into trouble? Scratching out a note to herself to look for the fairy, the woman turned her attention to the letters.

Opening the first addressed from her father, she found the agreed upon currency and a note that was either filled with insincere apologies or sniveling, and Leandra was not sure which was worse. Rolling her eyes, the woman took another drink of her mead and set it aside. She would burn it later, to erase the world of the insincerity or sniveling. The woman’s eyes widened in surprise, her sister had written her. That had taken a lot of nerve.

Finishing the last of her drink the woman settled in, easing her face to a neutral expression: this should be good. Her sister telling her parents of Leandra’s musing with spirits and interest in Leandra’s intended fiancé had a lot to do with her current position of being quietly banished. Old emotions flared up as many arguments to the fact that she was not talking to herself and it was not her fault that no one else could see ‘them’ played through her mind. A slight narrowing of the eyes was all that betrayed her irritation.

Opening the letter, the woman rolled her eyes as an invitation to the ball fell out and she skimmed her sister’s trite musings about the ball, her dress and gossip; though some of the gossip itself was amusing. This would have been her reality, too, if Cassie had not been against her. Cassandra and Leandra, this time the woman rolled her eyes at her parents naming scheme, clearly they liked ‘Andra’. It was a good thing that she had set out on her own, they had not understood her and had been against trying to understand her anyway. It was not her fault they had been too close minded to see what Leandra saw.

Spirits, not figments of her imagination, were present in the world. The fact that others missed this was what had led Leandra down the path of an outcast. The only reason she did not cut all contact with her family, to teach them a lesson, was to get the tithe she was due for them having her act as if she was wrong. That and keeping up with the gossip, it would be embarrassing to not know what was going on once she got this all sorted out. Leandra transcribed the more interesting gossip she could parse from her sisters’ inane ramblings onto her list.

As she planned her response to her sister, deciding that her father’s letter had been sniveling, she promptly set it on fire, dropping it and letting it smoke in her now empty glass. Proof that Lord Berolt was a bleating idiot need not exist in this world. Even if it was him begging his own daughter to pardon him from a poor decision he made for her due to his own witless perception. He would regret the day if Leandra ever found herself without interest in preserving their name and, to a lesser extent of course, without need of his aide.

Deciding her sister was not worth writing at the moment, Leandra turned her attention to the tavern she was occupying. The tavern seemed to be doing well judging by its occupancy. Leandra supposed this made sense, even if the mead was one of the only reasons Leandra found this place acceptable. Some of the occupants looked vaguely familiar, though not particularly interesting, to the woman. It was just likely she had passed them on the street, seen them at the library or served them as she worked as an apprentice and a shop girl for some no named alchemist, who did not seem to appreciate her either.

Making her way to the bar of the tavern, she ordered herself a replacement glass and beverage. While still scanning the crowd, looking for someone to entertain her. If they were good enough at it, maybe she would even let them entertain her for most of the night.

Malazar12

Character Info
Name: Josef Locke
Alignment: CG
Class: Cleric
Silver: 169
Josef had been studying at the library in Ilia for weeks now attempting to continue his studies into holy magic that had started at the monastery. He had spent any additional time supplementing his savings with odd jobs and fulfilling any healing requests he might have be privy to. He had rented a room at one of the local taverns and rarely indulged in luxury seeking to avoid making the same mistakes he did when he first set out on this journey all those years ago. He still had the sword. A constant reminder of the necessity of prioritization.
Today, however, he felt that he had earned himself a reprieve. He was making progress in his studies and he had more saved now then he had when he first arrived. All-in-all he would dare to say he was doing well. So tonight, he decided, a mug of ale before returning to his room couldn’t hurt. Of course, that’s what everyone always thinks.
Peering out across the crowded room his vision was drawn to her. As if she were the only thing in a darkened room emitting light he couldn’t not notice her. Even if the face that now encapsulated his vision hadn’t been a beautiful one he recognized her. He had seen her at the library studying in the healing arts as well. Though prior to tonight he had never seen her without a pile of books and scrolls between him and her and so now at last he was free to take in her figure.
Her hair was an almost unnatural white as you could tell by looking at her she hadn’t seen nearly enough winters to be greying. While her hair was up in a bun she let her bangs hang to either side of her face giving her a frame befitted to displaying such a work of art. Beneath her brown eyes were a crimson glow daring you to linger.
The dress she wore was an absolute mirage of modesty. The garnet dress itself, while alluring, was still toned down despite what it could’ve been but the corset caused the flowing cloth to lay on her in a way to show off the curves and shapes that could only come from being high bred. The low cut of the dress was covered by a sheer piece of cloth which upon further inspection revealed itself to be completely opaque. The illusion of virtue and humility fell away the longer you looked at her. The assets with which she was born, while at first appearing hidden away, were on full display.
His years spent living with monks did not prepare him for this. Every biological imperative kicked in and his blood began to quicken in his veins. Suddenly, he found his mouth to be just too dry and the pace with which he was enjoying his drink quickened. He debated with himself and as his liquid courage began to take effect nature inevitably won out over nurture. With the last mouthful of his ale now going to work in his belly he decided what harm could another drink do?
He approached the bar that the woman had been leaning against and set his empty glass down on the counter. After giving his order to the barkeep who turned away to fulfill his order he turned to her. After eyeing her one last time he opened his mouth, the alcohol now in full effect, and said: “Hey, haven’t I seen you at the library?”
Miscuit

Character Info
Leandra regarded the man that addressed her with interest. The woman had indeed seen the blonde man at the library. They seemed to have the same interest in books, there had been more than one occasion she had not been able to get what she wanted due to this man. Oh, yes, this man who had sometimes thwarted her would do to entertain her. In fact:

“I will buy his next drink, Leandra told the bartender, placing enough coin to cover both their drinks. ”I believe we have crossed paths at the library, I do not have many acquaintances in the city, you are free to join me if you are willing to help a woman dispell some of her loneliness,” Leandra nearly purred, throwing in a cute pout with her complaints of being lonely to be sure. With the invitation given she slunk back to her table and waited for her new companion to join.

It was not the game she had originally imagined playing, but it would be a fun one none the less. Slyly, she studied the man and his dress. Simple, but well made enough to make the woman feel he was not an absolute popper and had an eye for detail. A sultry smile graced her lips. Oh, yes, what a prize she had found.
Malazar12

Character Info
Josef had never experienced a bartender pour a drink more slowly in his life. Or it at least felt that way. This would be the first real conversation he’s had with a woman since leaving home nearly three years ago. The fact that it was with a woman such as her….
He began to ponder what interest she has in the healing arts as his interest simply came about through dumb luck and raw skill. He hoped her interest in the holy didn’t conclude her to be as pious as that would indicate. “Down, boy,” he thought quickly to himself.
When his ale was finally in his possession he quickly topped off his courage and turned to join her at her table. At this point he wasn’t sure how wide his grin was as he had lost all control over such things. He placed his drink on the table and sat himself down into a chair. Trying to think of what to say he decided to start with their common interests.
“Sorry if I’ve been hogging the books you’ve needed,” he opened. “It seems we already have at least one common interest.”
He took another sip of his ale; slower now as not to as appear to need it just to remain in this conversation. Regardless of how this night might go Josef tried to look on the bright side: Hey, free drink!
Miscuit

Character Info
Leandra watched the man follow her from the bar, her smile became slightly more genuine at seeing his. The man already grinned like he felt he was the luckiest man in the world, and all she had done was buy him a drink and invite him over. What an earnest fellow, that or he was a very good actor. Yes, he would keep things interesting, that was for sure.

Leandra smirked amused at the man’s opening line. Sipping her drink primly, tilting her head to the side as if she was really thinking on the matter. It was either a good guess or he was a mind reader. “Yes, I remember seeing you. It seems we do have a common interest in learning the healing arts. Studying seems like it would be much more fun with a partner, don’t you agree? And it would solve the book problem,” Leandra practically purred.

Well, maybe he should be grinning like a fool, luck did seem to favor him today. Here they had not even exchanged names and she was already inviting him to a second date. Maybe she had let herself get a little too lonely… or bored. Well, he could help her either way.

Malazar12

Character Info
Josef would’ve never thought that those years spent idly staving off boredom at the monastery would’ve led him to this. Here he sat on an entirely different continent in a tavern with a beautiful woman who bought him a drink.To top it all off she happened to be interested in the same avenue of study.

Josef finished another drink of his ale before responding to her statements. “I suppose I wouldn’t know,” he said. “I’ve never had a study partner.”

He paused for a brief second before continuing to say “…but I think I’ll have to agree with you. I’m sure there’s a lot of things we could learn from each other. I’m Josef, by the way. Josef Locke. I don’t think I caught your name.”

Josef placed his mug firmly on the table and pulled his hand away. He wanted to convey to her that she had his utmost attention. He was also deeply wishing that he was not showing any signs of how absolutely nervous he was on the inside. Despite having no social life in….ever…he was hoping what social skills he did have would last him through the night.
Miscuit

Character Info
Leandra smiled at the man, the thought that he would turn down her offer had not entered her conscious mind. His pause between saying he never had a partner and it was a good idea did feel her with unease as the thought tried to surface.

“Perfect, I am sure we can help one another learn lots of things,” Leandra stated softly, keeping her voice modulated to not betray her relief or unease. The woman wanted her words and tone to keep the man engrossed but not betray her emotions. The man was fascinating but the woman did not want the man to be able to manipulate her; she did not want to go through that again.

Leandra took a drink of her mead, trying to keep the action graceful while also trying to drink enough to chase away that thought. Deciding it would be unladylike to go get another drink she slowed herself, deciding instead to refocus herself. “Leandra, Leandra Bertold, a pleasure to meet you Josef,” the woman answered, drawing out key syllables and keeping her voice low.

In the same tone, lightened slightly with teasing, she continued “So now that we have the matter of tomorrow settled, what should we do tonight? . The woman gave a coy smile as if what she was asking was meant to be perfectly innocent. Oh, how Leandra looked forward to the answer of this intriguing man, this should draw out his true colors, or at least his base instincts. Leandra did not like that some part of her seemed to think or want to think, the man was different. Keeping her smile in place, she chased away the thoughts, clearly, she just wanted him to stay entertaining, rather than going back to the same boring routine.
Malazar12

Character Info
Josef’s mind went blank instantly. He had absolutely no plans past going upstairs to sleep tonight. He doubted very much he could invite her to join him in that. His routine of wake, work, study, sleep has seemed to have left him lacking in a knowledge of what people did together for fun.

“To be quite honest with you, Leandra,” he started. “I find myself hard pressed to remember any recent times I wasn’t wholly devoted to my study. Realizing this now I’m very glad I approached you. It seems I was sorely in need of a digression.”

Josef looked at this mug and lifted it towards his mouth. Stopping short he looked at Leandra over the rim and asked, “What is it people do for fun around here anyway?” He let out a small smirk and completed taking another sip.
Miscuit

Character Info
Leanda laughed, she had not been expecting so an earnest answer. “To be honest I have not had a lot of time for fun, either,” Leandra stated between chuckles, having momentarily lost her composure. “We can walk around the markets,” Leandra offered, realizing she had relaxed and let her guard down the woman took a moment to compose herself. Yes, the man seemed sincere, but the best con men did.

“People here often lounge or play games under the willows, we could see what is sold at the market and maybe even pick up one of the game sets that are so popular,” Leandra explained voice more controlled. This was what the woman had seen people do for fun, and she wanted to be able to present herself as being knowledgeable. The woman had not really explored the city or wandered the markets. This was do to what had happened last time she had wandered one, leading to the fact the woman had been putting it off. If anything, strange happened this time, at least she would not be alone.

Finishing her drink, Leandra sat and waited for the man to finish his. Maybe she had drunk too much, it was not like her to let down her guard like that. The woman found herself contemplating what she would do with the man if he really was as innocent as he acted. That would be different.
Malazar12

Character Info
The night markets? And here Josef had been doing such a good job being frugal. The notion of a little frivolity filled him with delight. This was his first true opportunity for some fun since arriving in Iria.

“The night markets sound like a treat.”, said Josef. “I haven’t really had the opportunity to enjoy any of the local flair.” He paused for a moment realizing he’d yet to thank her for her generosity in providing him another beverage.

“Speaking of treats. Thank you for buying me a drink,” he said letting out an earnest smile. He raised his glass to her and began taking large swigs to really hammer home the enjoyment he had provided him.

“I suppose I’m ready to go when you are,” said Josef as he brought down his empty mug with a hardy thud. “I had no real plans after a quick drink so I suppose as long as you find me entertaining I’m yours.”