Roleplay Forums > Parvpora > Republic of Iria > Iria City > Racial Differences [P]
Morticia

Character Info
Name: Morticia Nouhime
Alignment: CE
Race: Pixie
Class: Necromancer
Silver: 1089
Once more, Morticia found herself looking for a little mischief to spread. Already, Tenebrae was sitting on a small pile of coin she had stolen from various people. The trick was to steal one or two coins from multiple people. While it was slow going, people were less likely to notice the disappearance of a meager amount of currency. "Cause a panic, Morty!"

A peal of giggles erupted beside the pixie as she gazed over the crowds below. She was at the market, looking for a perfect target. "Watch this, Ry." Morticia took flight and zipped into the throng of bodies. Finding a well-off woman, she procured a small package from her basket of goods purchased previously. Having been watching this woman, she knew it was a small little bauble, a broach of some kind. The pixie placed it in the oversized pockets of a person walking nearby.

Screeching in a voice just high enough, Morticia feigned panic. "THIEF!!" As predicted, the woman glanced down to her basket and began wildly casting her gaze to those closest to her. Fingering out the suspect, the woman added her voice to the growing cacophony. "Stop him!" It was the very man with the planted evidence. The pixie rejoined her friends as she giggled madly over the chaos that ensued. He didn't know how it got there, and she wanted him punished, and the guards trying to calm everyone down to address the situation.

Arayna

Character Info
Name: Arayna
Alignment: CG
Race: Fairy
Class:
Silver: 441
Contorted in her bottle, feet above her, Arayna ideally kicked the glass while unfocused eyes stared at the willow trees that seemed to be calling to her very soul. She was tired of being confined, no matter the size or grandiosity she was sick of the cages. Despite confinement being all, she had ever known, a moment longer seemed too much to bear. She felt restless to her very core, the line of willows calling out. They were so close; it would be so easy to fly over if she could be free from the glass. 

Her thoughts were interrupted with a commotion in the marketplace, breaking her from her trance. It seemed some event had taken place at the market. Raised voices carried on the wind as an angry woman appeared to be accusing a perplexed man of stealing. From the snippets of the conversation, it seemed the man was genuinely confused. Intrigued she turned to listen to the man; outright lying intrigued the fairy. Lying was not a skill she seemed able to develop. The man was persuasive, she almost would believe the brooch had magically appeared in the pocket. 

The idea of magic spurred her thoughts to her plan. Shaken from her curiosity and filled with resolve, she looked around and found the commotion had most people’s attention as they all tried to eavesdrop and watch the unfolding of the events inconspicuously. "This is my chance," she thought to herself, trying to steel herself against the fear in her belly. She knew there would be a lot of logistics to work out, but she could never come up with a plan. It was outside her comprehension of what freedom would be like to be able to plan for it. Stepping back from an area of the substrate in her jar she reached out, trying to find the presence of the seed she had uncovered while trying to occupy time. 

Focusing she willed the seedling to sprout and grow, breaking her from the confines of the jar so she could escape into the welcoming embrace of the willows. Her face grew into a bright grin, and she laughed in utter delight as the plant stretched up causing the cork to lift. It would be a tight fit, but to squeeze out and a quick flight was all it would take to get to those taunting trees. Grabbing onto the tree preparing to climb the laughter died, she was still being propelled up the plant was still growing. "No" she cried trying desperately to draw back her magic to control the growth of the renegade seedling, it was like it too longed-for freedom. People's attention now drawn to the new source of ruckus and entertainment. The people of the market stared, ideally amused as the tree blossomed then produced apples. There was even some murmur of appreciation as the residents more accustomed to magic displays approved of the performance. This ideal moment was broken as the tree began tearing apart the display with its growth and reigning its newly produced apples with a seeming vengeance upon the ground. Arayna desperately tried to release her magic to get things to stop. No such thing occurred, instead, clicking joined melody of noises, and blurry figures began bounding away.

Dumfounded and exhausted she was only barely able to flap her wings in a futile attempt to break her fall as exhaustion overtook her and her grip slipped. Closing her eyes, she braced for impact only to land on something furry instead of the ground. Opening her eyes, she desperately grabbed at fur or feathers finding herself being carried away by some creature. Finding her finger still lacked strength she quickly lost grip of her new ride and found herself splayed on the ground. Sensing the danger of the situation she wobbled up as quick as she could and began to desperately hobble and weakly flutter around trying to avoid getting trampled in the chaos. Reaching the edge of the mocking green, she fell forward into the grass. Overcome with exhaustion and disbelief hysterical laughter escaped her lips, as Arayna found herself unsure if the last few moments had happened.
Morticia

Character Info
Succubus and pixie were in a fit of giggles as they watched the scene play out. He was so confused and was trying to explain the sudden appearance of the package in his pocket. Of course, no one could accurately guess that it was the work of a pixie, which made Morticia giggle even harder. During the commotion, the pixie had spawned something bigger she had no way of predicting. Morticia sensed a familiar magic, giving her pause. Sitting up, she quickly scanned the crowd, searching for it, eyes narrowed.

Whether from unease or sudden distrust, she couldn't be sure, but she had a bad feeling about what was to happen. There it was, the magic of accelerated nature growing a tree. She did not care what type of tree was being sprouted. Instead, she was searching for the cause. Ryerles noticed Morticia's sudden seriousness. "What's up, Morty?" Morticia waved dismissively at her as she spotted what she sought.

It was a winged creature, about her size, and easy to miss. Whatever it was, it was falling. Instantly, Morticia was in the air, flying as fast as she could. Her heart thumped hard against her chest with worry and anticipation. For a minute, the pixie lost sight of what she was sure was a feminine fairy. It didn't matter what race one was, no one deserved to be trampled. Morticia hovered over an area, searching the ground frantically, unable to find her target. Soon, the sound of laughter directed her in the right direction. Having found the fairy, the pixie rushed to her side.

A quick inspecting glance told the pixie that the fairy did not appear harmed, merely exhausted from using far too much magic. For a fairy to create a tree, she could only assume escape. The only reason for one of their nature to escape was from entrapment. Someone was hawking her for coin. Delicately, the pixie landed next to the fairy. "Don't worry, I'm not here to hurt you." Her bell-like voice whispered to the woman before approaching. She helped the fairy up, wrapping her arms around her, and took to the air. Morticia took the fairy up to the shaded rooftop where her friends were waiting. "Save fairy, bring good luck?" Tenebrae asked Morticia telepathically.

The pixie sat the fairy down while shaking her head. "I don't know, Ten. But, I couldn't let her get trampled. She's our size." Ryerles handed Morticia a small canteen that could hold a few drops of water. While it was too small for typically sized beings, for six inches, it was perfect. Morticia opened it, holding it out for the fairy to drink, assisting if needed. "You're a fairy, right? I think you used too much magic. With some rest, you'll be fine. I'm Morticia, that's Ryerles and Tenebrae." She pointed to each in turn. 

Arayna

Character Info
Class:
The laughter passed and Arayna found herself fighting to keep her eyes open. The voices and ruckus of the market sounding more and more distant. Briefly she thoughts she heard a voice closer to her, and seeming more important, but she could not get herself to focus on it. Fear clinched Arayna's gut as she felt herself being moved. She had been caught. With all that fanfare it was not hard to believe, her escape was nowhere near the stealthy get away she had planned. Opening her mouth the phrase I didn't mean to, passed in her mind, but she was not able to say it out loud; it would be a lie.

Her fear dissipate as Arayna found herself disoriented as she felt a strange yet familiar sensation. She was gliding upward as if flying, but not under her own power. She felt a pressure around her but none on her feet, it was like she was being suspended yet floating upwards ’Perhaps I died' she thought to herself wondering why she felt so light. 'Still beats the jar' she decided, closing her eyes and surrendering the rest of the consciousness to the growing haze clouding her mind.
Dozing she jolted awake when she felt contact with a surface on her feet. Instinctually she tried to find her balance, failed miserably and ending up falling backwards. She felt a force help her gently descend and found herself comfortably sitting. Blinking she tried to adjust and figure out her surroundings, what was going on. She heard the voice from before, enjoying the musicality of the voice, she found she was able to make out a few words this time.

"Our size" echoed in her mind as her weary eyes strained to bring her surroundings into focus. There appeared to a figure, no figures standing near her that where about her size. 'Are these my family coming to greet me' she wondered, finding resolve to make out these beings. One of the figures seemed to be getting closer holding out an object. Surprised Arayna felt a canteen pressed to her lips and found herself gulping greedily from it. 'So not dead' Arayna decided.
Again the being nearest her spoke, Arayna did not know how to respond to the being. Racking her brain for a time that someone had spoken to her so gently while being concerned for her as a living being. Fear gripped her as the figures speech seemed to return to something incomprehensible but the accompanying gestured allowed her tired brain to slot things into context. Names, those words where names, of the figures around her.

Overwhelmed she found herself sitting there, mystified, how long had it been since she had interacted with someone of her own kind. It was not often she had seen other fairies in the same shop as her. Even when there was there was often limit interaction, often just brief gossip or horror stories. What was the correct thing to do when speaking to others?

Slowly she worked on pulling herself up, wanting to stand to look at the beings around her and perhaps gain a vantage point of where she was. "That would explain how I feel… Thank you… Mort..icia, Ryer…les and Ten.. ebrae, for the water, and bringing me up here," she stated, surprised by how hoarse and soft her voice sounded. When had been the last time she had addressed another being by name, or even spoken allowed? "I'm sure… I would not have liked… what happened… if I'd stayed on the ground," A blush crept into her face as she found herself embarrassed to share what her life had been.

Finally reaching her full height she found herself wishing she had not stood up. Comparing her own presence with the others did nothing to help her embarrassment. She looked so unkempt, listless and dull with hair tangled and matted. The material used as clothing frayed and patched hanging from her gaunt frame in a way that would only barely pass as civil. Oh gods did she smell? How long had it been since a bath… and even then how long had she been trapped in that bottle. "All I have is what you see… I do not have a way to repay your kindness.. Though know I am in your debt," she ended sadly, hunching and curling into herself, hand absently twisting a portion of her tangled hair while staring fixedly at the ground. She was not sure why the trio had helped her and felt guilty she had nothing to offer in return. She could think of nothing they would want from her even if they wanted to demand something. She felt certain they would leave, having lost interest in the unkempt and possibly malodorous fairy.
Morticia

Character Info
”Honestly, Mort, I don't know why you bother being nice. You're a pixie! A prankster. You raise the dead, for our amusement. Helping people? Come on!” Ryerles was protesting. Tenebrae seat at the succubus with his tail, which she fell on her ass as a result. Morticia burst into laughter as the fairy began to speak. Turning her attention to the exhausted creature, Morticia smiled happily. ”Mort or Morty is fine. Careful, you should rest.” She watched the fairy stand.

The difference between pixies and fairies was almost as stark as night and day. Pixies tricked, and played, mischievous for fun. Fairies lie, and manipulate, often for no good reason. Yet, this was the first one smaller than three foot that Morticia had seen. Where she came from, pixies were the commodity, often caged and sold. Here, it was a variety of things, and Morticia had a soft spot for them. But it would cause far too much trouble to help them, so she let them be. However, this one escaped of her own will, and thus, an exception was made.

It was obvious that the fairy was looking then over, the color of her cheeks suggesting embarrassment. Morticia could guess as to what her thoughts dwelt upon. Ryerles barely had what could pass as a short skirt, and a halter top that almost failed at covering the important points of her breasts, leaving her middrift quite exposed. The pixie wore a dress, which looked like finely woven lace. It was black, covering one arm, leaving the other exposed, and was almost inappropriately too short. Yet, compared to the fairy, they were both in excellent quality attire. Morticia cocked her head inquisitively at the fairy's words of debt.

Before Ryerles could speak, Tenebrae tackled her in a wrestling match. ”Don't mind them. Ryerles is quite… crude. Tenebrae is just keeping her too occupied, so as to not offend you. As for debt, consider living your life repayment. To see you well and not… flattened underfoot, that is payment enough. What is your name, Fairy?” Morticia's demeanor seemed to drop, as if a terrible memory was crossing her mind. Which, of course, is exactly what happened. It was a memory of someone she had not thought of for many many years… a memory that reminded her she was not an only pixie of her hatching.

Arayna

Character Info
Class:
Arayna heard the woman speak, and could not help but stare at the woman, Morty. The fairy honestly found herself as confused as Ryerles, why would Morticia bother helping her. Especially with the only price being to live her life. Had Ryerles said Morticia was a pixie that raised dead for fun. Wasn’t raising dead supposed to be bad? Could this woman who rescued her be one of those creatures that gave you a wish that sounded good but was really a twisted curse.

‘Either way, I think I would rather live a cursed life out here, than have been squashed or bottled’ she thought, deciding she was not going to base her moral judgment on raising dead on people who had kept her as a pet, often a very confined one. Owners who had practiced the arcane arts had been her only exposure to magic thus far, they were usually her least favorite ones. Often wanting a wing or to use her as a focus of a spell, she was quite sure she had nearly been killed a time or two. Involuntarily she shuttered at such memories. Judging by Morty’s expression, the fairy got the impression she might not be the only one with bad memories on their mind.

Arayna’s own eyes clouded further as she thought of the rest of the pixie’s question, she again cast her eyes to the ground. ‘What is your name,’ conjured some ghost of a memory warning the fairy that there was power in knowing names. Did asking, mean, the pixie was just the average con man, trying to gain her trust to then have power over her. Had she not just gone through all that trouble to be free of being confined by another person’s will. For some reason this did not ring true to the fairy, it just seemed like too much trouble to go through. Arayna was certain she had nothing to offer the pixie that she did not have herself. Even if she raised dead for amusement, Ryerles and Tenebrae seemed to be alive and have their own wills, so Morticia did not seem to force people into servitude. Besides if the pixie had a talent for necromancy, Morticia could have just let Arayna die and raised her. If servitude was the plan, why go through all the trouble trying to ensure the fairy’s wellbeing.

Trying to ignore the first part of the faint memory, she tried to conjure the end. What was her actual name, she had been given many. The fairy had never given it to anyone, not out of fear but out of having never been asked. “A..rayna is my first name, I think, I am not sure of the rest” she stated, having been able to follow the memory. Frowning she tried to focus and follow the memory further. With a sigh, the fairy gave up; having a first name would have to do she could not conjure a last name. Maybe she did not have one, the trio had only given the first name. “Raya could be short for my name, like how Morty is for yours, Morticia,” she added smiling, the fairy found Morticia’s companions addressing her with a shortened name appealingly familiar.

“Of course… I might not respond to either. I am not used to being addressed,” Arayna apologized to the trio, her smiling fading. Tormented by her own mind she decided she had to ask. “Ah… Morty, if I may ask… what is the difference between a pixie and a fairy? I think I was marketed as a pixie once or twice… I have been many things, actually; I think my favorite was being called a winged shoe elf. I have always thought of myself as a fairy… However, you look very similar to me, aside from the wing shape and the.. uh.. grooming… sorry. Where do people our size bathe here?” She rushed through her speech, hardly thinking of what she was saying. Arayna had again taken to fidgeting with her matted hair as she became unsettled by her own thoughts.

Doubt plagued the fairy as she started questioning her own existence. Was she really a fairy, her memories were so hazy, everything seemed to start with being bottled. Clearly, someone had named her at some point, blurry and distant as the memory was it was there. Why could she not remember things? With hearing different terms over the years and meeting Morticia, and Ryerles for that matter, Arayna was beginning to wonder if she was a fairy. Arayna’s wings where transparent and shaped like those of a swallowtail butterfly, Morticia’s where longer and had a uniform shape to the top and bottom. But aside from their coloring and contrasting states of dress, the wing shape was the only difference Arayna saw.
Morticia

Character Info
It was plain to see the different thought processes going through her mind. No doubt cast from the statements of the succubus.  Necromancers were usually cast in terrible lights, though not all of them were bad. Morticia did it primarily for shits and giggles. With a meeting from the goddess Dalanesca, the pixie took care with her craft. Finally a name was given, to which the pixie nodded with a smile.

"That's understandable. A life of servitude of our kinds doesn't necessarily build decent relationships to whoever claims ownership." 'Not that I would know of that life. Guess I've been lucky,' she thought to herself. However, with the new line of questioning, Morticia blinked in surprise. After a burst of laughter, she gave a dismissive wave of her hand, and shook her head slowly. "The ignorance of the Tall Ones. Thinking they know best. I know I am a pixie, born of mischief and pranks. My kind can be quite cruel for their amusement. Fairies…" Morticia sighed.

As if sensing her desires, Tenebrae nudged the pixie with his snout. "First things first. Hop onto Tenebrae's back. And… Try not to freak out about what I'm about to do next. Most of our kind tends to use pools of water collected on leaves or flowers, ponds, or bird baths. I'm going to take you someplace more… civilized." Leaving the fairy to do as she requested, Morticia lifted herself off the roof and began to descend toward the ground. "Ryer, get me some fabric, a needle and thread please." Ryerles, who had caught up to the pixie by now, nodded and flitted off. The succubus knew that it meant Morticia was about to do, and quite enjoyed watching the pixie do it.

Once on the ground, Morticia began to shimmer as her shape began to change.  She grew until she was about five foot six, her hair lengthened to be waist length, and her wings disappeared. Her dress remained the same, though it too shifted to be proportionate to her new size. Lavender eyes lifted to find her six inch acquaintance, that same friendly smile on her face. "Come on, Ten, Raya!" They had a bathhouse to find.

Arayna

Character Info
Class:
Arayna blinked confusedly at the issued instructions. The fairy had not expected the pixie to show her where to bathe, instead give vague directions to an area where moisture may still be collected.

Arayna turned, and wobbly made her way to Tenebrae, feeling the least she could do is follow instructions. "Ah… sorry you have to carry me, thank you," she said weakly, as she tried to figure out how to attach herself to the creature. Arayna watched Tenebrae movements and took them as instructions.

Once settled the fairies mind wandered. Morticia’s explanation on pixies continued to make it hard to understand the pixies actions. Was this going to end with some cruel prank, would she tear her wings off and leave her somewhere? Either way, she was still likely to be better off than if she had just been gone on the ground. What was the trio's motivation?

Arayna's heart rate pounded against her chest as Morticia grew to the around the size of the average big folk. 'She could put me in a jar, sell me back' thought the fairy feeling almost sick with dread. She now felt trapped, she could hardly walk so knew she could not fly from the dragons back and the fall would undoubtedly hurt and likely put her in peril, if not end her life.

'Calm down,' she told herself, trying desperately to ignore the skeptical responses of her thoughts. 'No guarantee that will happen, it was only two lines about an entire race. And why disclose that' she added still at war with her thoughts. 'You could always rest and escape again she told herself, you know it will be worth it,' she added kindly to her mind.

'I cannot lie to you' she added to her intruding thoughts making the fairy giggle. Arayna had no idea if that was true. What the fairy did know was that no matter what happened next, this is the best time she could remember having.

'I will have to write it down' Arayna thought. This idea baffled the fairy, realizing that she was quite sure she knew how to read and write but couldn’t place how she learned that. How did she know how to talk even. The fairy felt too weary to chase this kind of questioning, knowing it would be useless to try to explore her shattered memories.

Instead, the fairy, having accepted no matter what she liked having met the trio and that whatever happened would happen felt herself drifting off. Enjoying the feel of the feel of Tenebrae's scales, she tried to fill herself with the peace that spawned from overwhelming exhaustion. Arayna chose to think of taking a bath with plenty of warm dew drops and soft leaves. The tired fairy fell asleep with a smile on her face.
Morticia

Character Info
Tenebrae knelt before the fairy, stretching out a wing as a ramp. He guided her to the perfect spot at his shoulders. At her apology, he gently snorted into her hair before pressing his nose to her arm. Even with their wings, he was quite pleased to be able to help them whenever they required it. "Never apologize for my ability to carry you. Your gratitude, however, is appreciated." The wyvern had no idea if she could hear his thoughts, but he wanted to try anyway.

As she began to drift off, the wyvern spread his wings and glided lazily down to Morticia. Typically, he would wrap himself around her arm, but feared dropping his sleeping ward. Thus, he settled for nestling in the stark snowy hair, which was silkier than any would guess, of the pixie. Morticia glided through the crowds quite easily. Down the road, take a right here, left there, and she was at her destination. Before them stood a semi-elegant building.

With a confident smirk, the pixie strode in. "A small, private room, please. Have a bath prepared, with rose oils. A meal of fruits, bread, cheese, and a bottle of your best spiced wine on the table." A couple of coins were dropped onto the counter. Of course, residents of the city were unknowingly providing this service. After a small wait, the pixie was escorted to her room. No one pointed out the obsidian serpent on her contrasting hair, nor the small creature that rested on his back. Even Ryerles, who had caught up and was riding on her shoulder, small bundle in hand, was paid attention to. For who would question someone with the coin to pay for what she demanded?

Morticia walked into the room, inspected the preparations. The bath was steamy, the table heaped with the requested meal, a bottle of wine and a glass nearby. After tipping the server, Morticia bolted the door behind him. Ryerles deposited her bundle on the table before darting into the bathing room. Tenebrae carefully moved himself from Morticia's head to the bed, choosing to nestle on the pillow while waiting for his ward to wake. Not wanting to make Ryerles miss out on watching her sew, Morticia went into the bathing room and slipped out of her dress to descend into the rose scented water. She could not wait for the fairy to wake up and see what was prepared for her.

Arayna

Character Info
Class:
Arayna found herself awake but not wanting to open her eyes. The fairy had, had the best dream. She had finally managed to escape the bottle, and albeit her attempt was poorly planned and clumsy she had met a nice pixie lady who was helping her. Arayna lazily stretched and opened her eyes, a bright smile forming upon recognizing the wyvern. “Tenebrae, your real!” the fairy exclaimed hugging the creature in delight. “Oh, uh sorry,” she realized backing off. It was true the pseudo wyvern had just carried her, but that did not mean he was open to receiving hugs.

Looking around the fairy found herself in a room. The place was huge to the fairy marveled in delight. Arayna was free. Assuming she was resting enough, she could traverse the whole room, looking under and at everything she wanted. The fairy had always wanted to explore the rooms she was in. Arayna had spent her more lucid days contemplating what was in or under different objects; or how she herself might be able to use or make a similar object. The prospect of being able to explore and manipulate the environment filled the fairy with glee.

Upon spotting the food Arayna stomach rumbled, she had not much felt like eating before, but now she found herself wanting to see if she could eat the whole setting. Testing her wings, the fairy found herself capable of flight and fluttered to the table. Curiosity unleashed the fey closely examined the offerings as if she had never seen food before. Admittedly, Arayna could not remember when she had last eaten, especially such a meal, but surely, she had eaten at some point in her life and thus seen food. Not letting her inconsistent memory ruin her mood, the fey moved on to inspecting the other contents of the table.

Finding the bundle, she could not help but touch it, trying to take in its contents. That was right Morty had asked for sewing supplies, maybe the pixie could teach her how to sew. It would be wonderful to be able to make clothing. Arayna found herself imaging all sorts of pretty dresses that may be possible to make. It would really be worthwhile to learn that skill. Reaching for the needle the fey had meant to pick it up and test its weight and her ability to manipulate it. Upon touching it she gasped, drawing back her hand as if she had been burned. Looking at her hand she realized she had been burned. Pouting the fairy turned to find her previous companion. “I guess the stories about iron and fairies are true,” she said glumly, that was one particular tale she had been hoping was just that. Trying to distract herself and reclaim some of her glee “Do you think I would be allowed to eat some of this Tenebrae? It looks so good.” She stated gesturing to the food, trying to ignore the stinging in her right hand.