Roleplay Forums > Parvpora > Republic of Iria > Iria City > Arannis Enters Iria City
Arannis Falone

Character Info
Name: Arannis Falone
Alignment: LE
Race: Half-Elf
Class: Sorcerer
Silver: 2006
Arannis walked into the gates of the city. He tried to appear casual, relaxed, but he couldn’t help but give off a tense aura. He had not felt this nervous since he first set out into the world, leaving the Knowledge Guild to adventure and continue his research in the field. It had been exciting back then, the sort of suspense one feels from venturing out to unfamiliar lands. This time however, that excitement was crushed under the weight of his worry. Without access to the bulk of his power, how could he defend himself? Far more important, how could he defend his son?

He scanned the crowds, analyzed the unfamiliar architecture, and kept watch for threats or opportunities. The language of the chaotic masses of people was familiar, very similar to the language of his homeland. That was an interesting development which Arannis made note to come back to later. He passed through a bustling market, hawkers barking prices into the thick city air. The selection of goods was diverse enough to suggest a trade hub rather than simply some backwoods city of the province. Continuing down the dusty road away from the market stalls, he looked about in search of an inn.

Rhea

Character Info
Name: Rhea
Alignment: TN
Race: Siren Mixture
Class: Dreamweaver
Silver: 117
A city of knowledge.

She had heard many stories of this lovely place from her family. This was one of the few places she had not actually ventured into. She was unsure the reason, but no time was better than now. Maybe it had been the idea of a city that frowned upon gods. Her time as a goddess had caused her to keep her distance from cities like this, however, she was a mere mortal now. They could not try to turn her away or look down on her for her class. They would most likely not even turn their heads to look at her. The excitement had gotten the better of her and it was growing difficult to not skip through the streets. There was a new-found power that was growing within. She was starting to care less about what others thought of her. She was finding a path that did not involve trying to better herself to keep up with the shadow of her family.

The city was everything that she could have ever dreamed. There was a quality of life that she had not seen before in all the other cities in the world. She felt as if she was walking into strange space of time. The large sandstone walls had caught her attention instantly when she stepped off the boats. It appeared to go on from miles from what her eyes could see. What she found most interesting the strange lack of airships in every corner, even the harbor felt old but sturdy. She could almost not believe that this place held the Mage Academy. It appeared they gave a good balance of magic and the natural architecture.

Rhea’s first step when she left the harbor was to find an inn that she could stow away the things she did not want to carry with her. It also gave her time to freshen up from the long-boat ride. She finally left her room when the sky just was beginning to shift towards night. It would give her enough time to look around before she would need to head back in for the night. It also allowed for a cool breeze to drift through the streets. She covered herself in a long purple shawl over her bare shoulders and matched the purple of her dress.

Her main interest in the city was to travel through the streets and check the wares from the different vendors. She was curious to know what exactly they had to offer. When she traveled further into the city, her senses were hit by the sweet smells of pastries and brew. It did not take long for the siren to stop at the different vendors until her bag was full of different pastries and she held a sweet brew in her hands. It was only helping her appear like the stranger that she was. She could even hear a few snickers as people looked to her. They could think whatever they wanted of her, she did not care. She would enjoy life even if it made her look strange.

As she exited one of the stores, her eyes drifted around the area. She was unsure where she wanted to go next but she interested in what fabrics they sold here because of the strong mage presence. She had yet to find anything useful outside of some delicious pastries she would enjoy later and the brew she still sipped on. This time it was not a treat or ware that caught her attention but a man. He got the same slight glances that she was getting, but he appeared almost jumpy as he walked down the street and lost. Her eyes watched him looking around in search for something and curiosity got the better of her. Most people would not even give him a second glance other than to whisper to their companion, so why shouldn’t she try to help? Maybe he was looking for the same thing as her and they could help each other.

The siren followed the man a little way before she finally was able to push through the crowd enough to make it to him. “Excuse me.” Her words came out loudly but the same charm to her tone caused a few heads to look their way. Who wouldn’t be interested in a beautiful woman calling out for someone? She quickly moved up to him and let out a long exhale. “I know this may seem strange. I took notice of you and could not help but notice you appear lost.” There were a few grunts around them from people realizing it was not them she called to and continued on their way. A soft smile covered her lips as her hazel eyes watched him curiously. ”If this is true, maybe I could be of assistance?” She gave him a small wink.

My Active Threads
-pm if you don't see your thread!-
Arannis Falone

Character Info
The streets had grown less crowded since exiting the market area, but navigating the throng was still a challenge. Arannis briskly walked past some residences. Small children played in the streets, narrowly dodging cart wheels only to be pulled back into their homes by worried mothers. A typical city it seemed, just as he might have found anywhere in Aetturus. The parallels between this world and his were shockingly prevalent.

His eyes continued to scan, searching for an inn, a hotel, any place of residence he could find. The signposts were in a different style from that which he was used to, making his hunt ever more difficult. He passed by a restaurant, a moneylender, a tavern, and several other small businesses. He had to look carefully at each, quickly glancing through the windows or doors to determine the nature of each store. He slowly began learning the signage of this city, giving him a far easier time. However, he had yet to come across an inn. Arannis had become so focused on the search that he failed to notice the woman following him until she spoke.

Turning to her, Arannis flashed a charming smile and replied, “I am new to the city, help navigating would be much appreciated.

The young woman was exceptionally beautiful. She drew significant attention from the crowds. A man had stopped to stare before receiving a smack from his companion and moving on. She looked to be human. Though he couldn’t rule out a mixed breed of some kind, like Arannis himself. She wore a streaming wrapped dress of fine fabric. It was a stunning look, and highly impractical. Arannis had to laugh a bit at that. How often had his traveling companions called his style impractical? Appreciation for the finer things in life was not a sin. He approached the young woman, he stood significantly taller than her as he offered his right hand and said, “Arannis Falone.

Rhea

Character Info
A small smile crossed her lips as the man she was calling out to finally turned around. He met with a charming smile and she felt a happy relief. There was been a moment that she was beginning to be worried that he would just shy away from her. Some people were uninterested in having a stranger talk to them. There was an instant that she was yelled at for offering help. The more time she spent out in the world meeting strangers, the more she was beginning to learn there was a nice amount of jerks. She had even met some were assassins for a living that was far nicer than some of the basic bakers. People were interested and stranger. They were all different no matter what they believed or thought. They could easily be evil but their basic tendencies better than someone who called themselves a holy knight.

He admitted he was new the city and could find a use of her knowledge. Her smile grew at his words and the excitement boiled over as she shifted softly. ”Well, I have not spent a lot of time in this city yet. I have been enjoying exploring the city. I may be able to help you if you mind telling me what you were looking for.” Her eyes traveled over him slowly over her new companion. He seemed nice from his first impressions. He was a handsome man in his own way. She loved his attire. She loved a man who dressed well always pulled her interest. She could only hope his conversation would match.

He moved closer and reached his hand out to her. She was unsure exactly what he was going to do with it. She could never be sure how they greeted. She let her hand reach out towards him, her palm touching his. It was time to find out what kind of man he was. ”Rhea. Rhea LeSilve.” A proud smile grew on her lips. For a long time, she found it similar to just speak her first name and nothing else. Maybe she was strange because of it but she enjoyed just being simple and mysterious, however, so many people were open with their full name when they spoke. She was trying it on for size. She left a little weird speaking her full name but proud to show off her family name. She was proud of her family, after all.

My Active Threads
Arannis Falone

Character Info
It’s a pleasure to meet you, Rhea.” Arannis shook her hand and then released it. At the brief contact he could feel her magic with an increased intensity. She was very powerful, and easily capable of overpowering him in his current state. She was had the potential to be very dangerous. However, so far she had acted kind. Arannis did not detect any deceit from her, despite her style of magic. Arannis had always been adept at reading others, few lies could slip past him. He also had a knack for finding connections in ways such as this. He recalled his first visit to the Inferno, negotiating a peace between the city of fiends and the necromancer devil Phendar. The devil had eventually become a good friend. He wondered how Phendar’s research was going now. Arannis resisted a chuckle when the thought came to him of just how dangerous the friends he made on these journeys tended to be.

He could only imagine what kind of business this young woman could be involved in. One did not attain her level of skill without significant amounts of struggle and ambition. She was likely capable of manipulating many a mortal with her beauty and speech alone. With her powers she would be an impressive ally, or a deadly foe. Arannis knew he should be wary of her, but she seemed trustworthy. Hopefully that was not the influence of her magic.

Rhea admitted she was also fairly new, but still offered her help. She sounded rather excited at the prospect. Arannis simply stated, “To start, I am simply looking for an inn. Somewhere I can stay long term, and somewhere safe.” As the pair continued walking through the dense city streets, they drew quite a few stares. The difference in their style of dress and that of the crowds immediately set them apart. Rhea’s beauty drew further attention, and the combined strength of their magical auras was sure to arouse suspicion from any sensitive to the arcane.

Are you from this nation?” Arannis asked her, opening conversation, “I myself am completely new to it.” It was a tad troublesome to open up dialogue about nationality with the woman, he would have to weave around questions of his own origin carefully. However, it was worth the risk to probe for information on this world, and Rhea herself. Knowledge was power, Arannis knew that better than most. He would need to catch up on at least the basics of this land he was stranded in as quickly as possible. Perhaps there was a museum or academy in town. It was a stretch to hope for an establishment such as his own world’s Knowledge Guild, but any repository of information could be helpful. He would inquire with Rhea after they found an inn.

Rhea

Character Info
Arannis had taken a liking to Rhea, it seemed. A smile remained curled on her lips as he offered up more information to her. She was excited that he had yet to go back on her offer for help. She was happy to help him, but he was helping her as well by offering her something to do in this new city. It also meant that she maybe could be able to have someone to travel through the city with. Something about him reeked of a sorcerer. She did not need even need to sense his magic to come to the conclusion. Mages had a certain allure to them that was not difficult to spot. It appeared that he had been trying to find an inn when she found him looking lost and confused in the streets. The smile on her lips grew bigger because that was something that she could help him with. The keeper had even told her that he did not get a lot of business and could stay as long as she liked. It was not the best of places, but it was perfect to remain hidden and safe.

“That is something I can help with, Sir Falone.” Rhea beamed at him as she shifted and pointed towards the direction he had recently been walking. “There was still room at the inn I am staying out. It is not too far from all the happenings, but it small and unused enough that they all patrons to remain more long term. It is not an expensive stay, but perfect for someone wanting a place to sleep without worrying about intruders.” Her hand motioned towards the area and she tilted her head slightly in hopes that he would be happy with her pick. It was not too far from where they were. It was nicely hidden amount all the shops and bustling. She could only hope that it was what he was looking for.

“If you follow me, I can direct you there. It really not far from where we are now. Just down a couple streets. You may have missed it because they did not have any flashy signs. They are rather small and quaint. As for my nation, I have traveled to Parvora many times but I am from Canelux. I spent a lot of my childhood in the city of Sularia, so I guess that could be considered my home place. I grew up in many places. Do you know it?” There was a curious look in her eyes as she curiously watched him. She did not mean to talk a lot but the words just continued to flow. She loved talking to strangers and learning about their lives and dreams. There was something beautiful about each person’s dreams and desires that keep them moving from one day to the next.

If he followed, the journey would not belong. It was just a couple streets away. The road still remained as bustling as it had the first time she traveled through it. There were people chattering all around her and a few head continued to turn to look at the strange duo. With both of their attires, they were easily the ones that stood out the most as tourists. It had been a long time since she had met anyone with as good of a fashion taste as herself. Most people did not understand the idea of finer wear. The inn was a simple place just as she had advertised. There was a small sign above the door calling out the name of the establishment, but it was faded and hard to read. It barely made the simple words of ‘Romane’s Inn’. It rested not far from the harbor and the higher stories overlooked the sea. It was one of the reasons she had been drawn to the inn and had asked for a room on the third floor. It definitely helped that it was run but the sweetest elderly couple.

My Active Threads
Arannis Falone

Character Info
Rhea told Arannis of a small, private inn she was staying at. It sounded secure enough. He did wish, however, that he still had access to his rituals to ward a room. It would have to do. “That sounds perfect,” he said with a smile. Enough silver survived his journey to pay for a decent length stay at an inn, at reasonable prices anyway. A more low-key establishment would help stretch those funds further.

Rhea continued to beam at him. She seemed a bit too excited about this, but was still far from the most eccentric mage he had met. No, that title went to his former apprentice. He still had to wonder, however, what her motivations were. The pair continued their walk in the direction of the inn. The stares had died down since the beginning of their trek. With less of a crowd to worry about, Arannis could appreciate the city more properly. It was a bustling metropolis, at least as large as any he had visited previously. The city was crisscrossed with canals, with various small craft navigating the waters. Once he came into some extra funding, the canals could be a much preferable method of navigation than walking. Deeper in the city, the canals also provided irrigation for quite impressive gardens. It was a lovely city, a pleasure to visit.

Rhea told him the name of the nation she was from, Canelux, and her hometown, Sularia. She asked if he knew the places. This was getting risky. He was pheasant to arouse suspicion at his lack of geographical knowledge of this world, at least not while they were still in public. He would need to find a library or similar establishment soon.

“I am not familiar with Sularia, no,” Arannis replied, “What is it like? Do you have family there?” Hopefully he could keep her busy for a while talking about herself before she inevitably asked about him. Lucky for him, he found most people enjoyed talking about themselves.

The journey did not take long. It seemed mere moments with the pleasant conversation. The density of the crowds began to thin as they moved further and further from the city entrance and markets. The pair only stood out more among the few people rushing about their days. Interestingly enough, throughout their whole journey Arannis had not seen even a single temple. He pondered this as he began to smell the scent of the sea. They were nearing the harbor.

They finally arrived at the inn. It was a simple place right near the water. A crude, weathered sign just barely read “Romane’s Inn”. It was a three story establishment that seemed wholly unremarkable. It seemed to be a decent place to blend in. At least, that is what Arannis hoped.

Arannis opened the door. He held it for Rhea and gestured for her to proceed. He followed in after. The establishment had a warm, cozy feel to it. There were a few tables scattered about the main room, with one or two patrons sitting and having meals. The food was normal, which was good. He could only imagine Aran’s horror if he suddenly declared the child would need to eat spider. The patrons also seemed overwhelmingly average. Despite the proximity to the sea, the place did not seem to be used as a sailor’s pub. It seemed to cater more to travelers and minor merchants. It was quiet, and peaceful.

Arannis approached an elderly man behind the counter, Rhea following close behind. “Good afternoon,” Arannis greeted the man in a friendly manner, “I’d like a room, please. With two beds, if you have it.”

The innkeeper looked between Arannis and Rhea, and with a touch of a smirk settled on his weathered features. His gaze settled on Rhea and he asked, “Something wrong with the room you have, miss? Or you just sick o’ him?”

Rhea

Character Info
The walk remained mostly silent as they walked through the city streets. He answered her question about Sularia with a simple no. It was pleasant that he was honest with her about not knowing the place. He could have simply pretended that he knew of it but instead, he was actually honest with her. She loved when someone found no reason to lie. She could understand why some people took to lying but she never really cared about doing that. She enjoyed altering her appearance from time to time, but it was mostly because it was difficult to people watch when they knew you were a goddess. Now that she was just a mortal, she was able to blend in much easier with no illusions. She found herself more comfortable in her own skin now. Maybe she did need the illusions that she had once used?

“Sularia is a beautiful place, an oasis after a hard travel through the desert. You have to go there at least once in your travels. It is full of very beautiful women.” Rhea flashed a grin at him as he spoke. She would not tell him that it was a city where the women were in control and the ratio of men and women were far more on the women’s side. It would be a far better experience to go to it not knowing. He so far did not appear to be a man who would be uncomfortable with a city of women. “I guess you could say I have family there. My aunt’s family resides there. They are the court of the city.”

Everything about what she was saying was a mix of simplified truth. They were not exactly her family by anything outside of the marriage of her uncle that she had never met and the said aunt. The marriage was something that had occurred in a completely different world. It was a story she never knew until the events that had occurred long ago. In her history, her aunt had always been her aunt because she was one of her father’s dearest friends. She had grown up visiting the city because her father loved the place and her mother enjoyed the safety it offered. Her mother was always the cautious one out of two. She could only imagine what her parents could have been up to. They both took their retirement with ease. She was old enough now that they did not worry about her. When the voice had given Rhea her mother’s position, they had taken to enjoying the world again.

They made it to the inn in no time flat and it allowed for her thoughts to finally fall back into place with what was living. This was not the time to be lost in thought about her family history and how strange it became when the portals began to open and time was messed with. Arannis opened the door for the inn and Rhea gave a small nod of thanks as she passed by him and into the room. It was not hard for her to direct him towards the counter and then let him do as he needed, remaining silent behind him. An eyebrow rose when he asked for two bed but she would not question his wants. If he wanted to bed in his room, he could have two beds. It was his silver.

The innkeeper seemed far more interested in the request for the two beds as he began to glance between the two. Rhea had already thrown the thought away when he finally settled his gaze on her and spoke out finally. Her eyebrow rose again for a moment as her mind tried to comprehend what he was talking about. A small blush crossed her cheeks, but the laughter took over much faster. She burst out into a gentle laughter as she politely covered her mouth to hide the large smile that covered her lips “Oh no. I just found this gentleman on the street. I do not believe I could ever grow sick of any gentlemen I meet. I am perfectly happy with my room and I would love to keep it.” She cleared her throat as she talked trying to suppress the laughter.

“Unless the dear gentleman is trying to hint at something. I think I shall be fine, even if my room remained untouched.” There was a sly smile on her lips as she looked to Arannis. She knew he most likely had a reason for the two beds, but she could not help but bring up the joke. The teasing just slipped out at the worst moments. Her eyes shifted back towards the innkeeper and giving him a sweet smile. “Now that the misunderstanding has passed. May my dear companion get his room with two bed?”

My Active Threads
Arannis Falone

Character Info
“I’ll be sure to visit Sularia some time,” Arannis smiled back at the grinning Rhea. Perhaps he could find a good enough portrait of it to travel there without wasting time on a ship or crossing the desert. It could be worth the journey, though only after he had finished his business in the city.

Arannis contained a chuckle at the innkeeper’s misunderstanding of his request. He should have foreseen that it could be taken in on odd way. After Rhea cleared up the issue, Arannis accepted the room key from the innkeeper and handed over the silver. Turning to head up the stairs, Arannis said to Rhea, “I need to see to the room and take care of something. If you will excuse me for a moment.”

Arannis walked up the stairs and entered his room. It was smaller than his usual accommodations, but clean and comfortable. A pair of beds was squeezed into the room along with a table and some chairs, and a set of drawers. Arannis studied the room, taking in every detail he could. The floor was smooth wood, and Arannis took in every detail of the grain that he could memorize. The curtains were a sea blue color, and Arannis took note of the way the gentle currents of air would cause them to sway. The chair and table were well made, of solid dark oak. The drawers were of the same oak but seemed a bit older, a crack ran down the side of it. The beds were both made up with the same tan bedspread, and spaced equally from the walls. With the details of the room memorized, Arannis concentrated. He pictured in his head a forest, thick trees and a large, spacious bush. The bush swayed in the wind in a predictable pattern. It looked to be solid, but upon closer inspection it had space hollowed out inside. It stood above a patch of grass that was slightly trampled, and there stood a stone just to its South with a distinctive fissure. With a snap, the smell of the sea was lost to Arannis in favor of the gentle scent of the forest.

Arannis quickly looked over the bush. His illusion was still in place, concealing the interior. He dropped the illusion, and a smile filled his face as he saw his son there. Aran looked bored. A piece of parchment sat discarded next to the young boy, a small tear in it where the seven year old had clearly tried to write without proper support. A dash of ink colored the ground beneath the parchment. Aran himself seemed to be arranging pebbles into patterns. Arannis quickly glanced over the seven year old’s work. He had drawn out the Primordial sigil for protection, combined with the Infernal rune for shadow. Arannis’ smile became larger as he saw his son’s work, and he asked, “What is it you’ve drawn there?”

The young boy turned around to see Arannis hunched, peering into the bush. A grin filled the child’s face as he said, “Dad! You’re back!” Aran stood and moved to his father, wrapping his arms around him. This close, you could see the similarities between the pair. The same hair, same color of eyes, remarkably similar facial structure. Aran would look just like his father when he grew up. “I tried to draw the spell you cast. The one to hide my bush. Did I do it? Did I guess it right?” The child looked up at Arannis with hopeful eyes.

Arannis hugged his son back and pointed to the work, “You guessed excellently. Your primordial is perfect, and the Infernal would work to replicate what I did.”

Aran smiled bigger and hugged his father more tightly. Arms wrapped around his son, Arannis focused on the room back at the hotel, and the pair swiftly appeared standing there.

Rhea

Character Info
The innkeeper did not appear phased by the situation. He gave a small shrug to his shoulders at her words and quickly pulled out the key for one of his open rooms. “Room 7. You will find it on the second floor, first door on the right. It is just a door before the miss’s room.” There was that same smirk on his lips as she talked and Rhea could not help but let off another soft giggle at his words. Arannis appeared to have other things on his mind outside of the playful teasing between Rhea and the innkeeper. The innkeeper was a sweet old man, but it did appear that he had trouble minding his own business. She enjoyed his nosy nature because it reminded her of herself. Arannis accepted the key from the innkeeper and before leaving spoke to her. Rhea gave him a small nod.

“I shall be fine by myself for a short time. Don’t leave me waiting too long, though.” She gave a grin to her companion but waved him off as she turned towards the area where they kept the food. She would let him see everything for himself and wait impatiently in the dining area. She watched a couple of the patrons eat before she remembered that her own pack was full of pastries from her shopping. Her stomach had gotten the better of her because she had not eaten much since she had arrived by boat. She had simply forgotten to eat because she was easily sidetracked by everything. By this point, her mug of the sweet brew was empty and she softly sat it in the area to be cleaned. They could have another glass container. She really found no need to keep something that would just clutter her life.

She glanced around the room once more before making her way up to her own room. Her eyes drifted to look at the door that Arannis was in. Perhaps she should tell him she would be in her room? She softly knocked on the door but heard not a single peep from inside. She found it strange, maybe he just wanted to be alone. She would try later or he would assume she went to her room if she was not down below. Shrugging her shoulders, she moved from his door to her own to go place her pastries safety in her room. She would keep a couple in her bag, but she did not need the dozen that she had brought with her. They would be her snacks for later. Sitting them gently on the bed, she opened the window and started out at the beautiful seascape. A small smile grew on her lips as she breathed in the salty air. She loved places like this because they allowed her to be closer to the sea.

She was enjoying the breeze when a sense of magic hit the air coming from the room next to her - the same room that her companion was in. First, he did not answer and now he was casting magic in his room? She could see the strange aura that was created when one was crafting magic. Her gaze shifted back to her own door as she tried to decide what she would do. The curiosity always got the better of her, so why should she fight it? A smirk crossed her lips and she could not help but let off a soft giggle at herself. She quickly left the room and knocked on the door once again.

“Is everything alright in there? It’s Rhea.” She spoke out, leaning slightly into the door in hopes he would hear her through the door without yelling. She not about to have a stranger yell at her for being loud in the hallway. She was slightly worried about her friend, but it was mostly the curiosity to find out what in the world he was doing in there. What kind of magic was he casting in there that could have caught her sight?

My Active Threads