Out-Of-Character Forums > Suggestions > Regarding Transportation
Torn

Character Info
Name: Torn Flashborne
Alignment: TN
Race: God
Class: Prince of Epics
Silver: 169
I have a number of suggestions, questions, and - I'll be honest - complaints about the items in Swiftwind's Transports.

1: We have an enchanted cloud, but no magic carpet. Why can Goku, but not Aladdin, take to the skies?
2: Why is the caravel called a caravel? Caravel is a hull type - not a ship class. Cutter or Brig might be more suitable names.
3: On the subject of ships, I think the price difference between a war galley and caravel is a bit steep. For one, a war galley misses several of the functions a cutter can provide, and looking on the difference between the complex build of a caravel-built trade cog vs a galley, the war galley would probably lose in combat 9 times out of 10 with the same crew.
3.1: Regarding that, I'm thinking "war galley" might be changed to "longship", get a price drop, and be eclipsed by something heavier, for example a galeass. This would provide a distinct difference between a raiding ship and a warship while retaining a level of realistic coherence.

For your consideration, then, the insights of an insufferable seafaring nerd.

Torn's god rules:
i: Torn can make anyone feel an intense desire to overcome massive challenges, even where logic dictates it should be impossible. This also incurs a blessing to help them succeed.
ii: If Torn approves of - or praises - a piece of music, that song will evermore sound more appealing to mortal ears.
iii: Torn has the ability to summon any creature he has personally slain, to serve any purpose - or transform into one himself.

Voice Actor: Jon Cozart (Paint)
Theme Song: Masatoshi Ono - Departure!
I am KeeXeyn.
Keira

Character Info
Name: Keira
Alignment: CG
Race: Lycan/Rosenite
Class: Scholar
Silver: 1187
It was decided if you wanted a magic carpet you could sub the cloud :O Cause I got told one or the other and I'm a weeb so..

OOC: Brittlez
Luthene

Character Info
Name: Luthene
Race: Human
Class: Mercenary
Silver: 3175
Caravel is both a ship type and a hull type (cavarel ships use caravel-type hulls), developed by the Portuguese in the 15th century to go exploring. It's designed for long-distance travel, and for the purposes of this site, it's intended to be something capable of making intercontinental trips (or shorter trips, if you want), and to haul cargo. It's mostly a trading vessel, bigger than the skiff, but smaller than the War Galley. It's similar enough in function that if you want to buy one and call it a cutter, feel free. Brig would be an inappropriate name, however, as those ships are much larger than our caravels are, was used as a smaller (for that era) warship, and has cannons. None of Revaliir's ships have cannons, as there is no gunpowder in this setting.

The War Galley is the largest of our watercraft, and is the only one intended for combat. You may refer to it as a longship if you like, and it can take on that design, but it's not a galleass, either; a galleass also typically has a gun deck, and we're strictly no guns here. The price difference between the war galley and the caravel reflects not only the different uses for the ships, but also the fact that the war galley includes a crew of 10 NPC spearmen (which are permanent; ordinarily you'd have to spend 200 silver every 6 months for the crew), and obviously has the ability to support many more NPC fighters. The price reflects what a medieval-era war ship (and the crew) would have cost.

In short: caravel = for trade and travel, not combat; war galley = for combat, be it raiding or war.

We don't have plans to offer anything bigger than the war galley, and gunships of any type are definitely out.

OOC: Jenna
Torn

Character Info
Name: Torn Flashborne
Race: God
Class: Prince of Epics
Silver: 169
Might I then at least suggest an image swap for the War Galley? 'Cause that's a longship, and it's kind of misleading :p

As a footnote, I was thinking about ballista-armed versions of the galleass and brig when I mentioned them.

Torn's god rules:
i: Torn can make anyone feel an intense desire to overcome massive challenges, even where logic dictates it should be impossible. This also incurs a blessing to help them succeed.
ii: If Torn approves of - or praises - a piece of music, that song will evermore sound more appealing to mortal ears.
iii: Torn has the ability to summon any creature he has personally slain, to serve any purpose - or transform into one himself.

Voice Actor: Jon Cozart (Paint)
Theme Song: Masatoshi Ono - Departure!
I am KeeXeyn.
Luthene

Character Info
Name: Luthene
Race: Human
Class: Mercenary
Silver: 3175
I liked the design of the reference image I found and it was something within my ability to draw (I'm a mediocre artist at best), so I figured it would be close enough. If you'd like to draw an icon yourself, feel free, and if it's well done we can definitely use it, but the main priority for our main icon artists right now is to get icons done for items that lack an icon, so the present icon will stay put for the foreseeable future. 

OOC: Jenna