Roleplay Forums > Parvpora > Koschei Isle > Koschei Forest > It Had to be Magick [R]
Naota

Character Info
Name: Naota
Alignment: CG
Race: Former Deity
Class: Former Deity of Light and Dreams
Silver: 12527
Aside from Kurayo, Koschei was probably his least favorite place. And worse yet, he still had to go through Kurayo once he was out of the ghostly forest. With magick going topsy turvy, it was the safest way to travel unless he wanted to risk appearing inside of a wall. True that as a deity he’d be safe from instant fatality, but he didn’t want to test fate right now.

The faces frozen in agony within the tree trunks didn’t calm his nerves either, and with his resurfaced memories from DaeLuin he felt an even deeper pit of guilt. He hadn’t been there when the battle at Koschei had happened, when the people there became trapped and cursed, but their anguish lashed at him.

The glow from the white markings on his skin were dimmer than usual. Not that he was controlling that this time, since he wouldn’t risk something so trivial with everyone’s power being so out of control. When last he was here, that glow was a warning against anything that should try to attack him. Now? He felt like he’d put an unwelcome target on his own back.

The blue whisps that usually darted at the corner of one’s eye, were now fluttering about playfully as if to lure him. He knew full well not to follow them, and had already caught a few for further study in the past: there was no more need for them. With a slow exhale he walked through a clearing lined in sutras and gifts for those that had departed. The guilt only sunk deeper as he carefully tread through them, taking care not to so much as knock over or brush a single one.

There was a soft nudge of feathers at the line of his jaw and he rose a hand up to gently pet through the warm and smokey feathers of the golden spectral falcon that had decided to follow him. It glowed much more confidently, it’s shine intermingling with his own. Every deity had one it seemed, and he’d been able to reason out why each one had the animal they had. All he could guess for his own was that it was a hunter, just as he had been, just as he still was now that he was remembering himself more.

It’s jeweled eyes darted about for any would be attackers, and knowing that even this spectral being was on high alert eased him some. He wondered briefly if they took form based on those that they followed, or if they had a link. Drae probably knew more, but he wouldn’t be able to talk with him about it until this whole fiasco was over.

For now, he continued on through, hoping that he’d be able to make good time and catch the next airship before it was too late. Kurayo was still at least a three hour walk away from where he was in Koschei, but he was holding out hope.

God Rules:
i. Has the ability to put any target into a deep sleep.
ii. Unmatched in holy magicks as well as light magicks.
iii. Can shatter illusions by bending the light to show the truth.
[ OOC: My main account but one of many! :D - Anton ]
Kiba

Character Info
Name: Kiba Balatro
Alignment: TN
Race: Diowolf/Dragon Shade
Class: Champion - Protector Vitae
Silver: 5904
“I know decisions were made….but they were bad decisions,” Kiba mused aloud. He had little to no clue where he was and the diowolf was not sure how to get back. Not only was his Reztreal reacting to the magic in the forest, but also the souls that were painful trapped inside the trees. “Just stay close Shil.” Kiba instructed his little fae dragon. A small chirp was given in response as it continued to hide against his cheek with her long tail wrapped around Kiba’s neck for comfort. Even with the feeling of impending doom surrounding them, Kiba could smile as he pet the little dragon’s head. The feel of soft leather was soothing. He would need to buy more oil to tend to his new companion’s hide. “If you take off I don’t know what I would do. It is so dark here that your black hide would blend in too well.”  

The magical currents were completely off. He was making his way from site to site where the hectic ethereal rabbit continued to show up. There was still no definitive reason to its journey, but wherever it went chaos was soon to follow. Many entities of the land were tied to magic and without it in order there was trouble. Kiba was new to Revaliir, but he still wanted to be able to help. Not much else could be done.  

Shil crooned softly in the diowolf’s ear while tucking even closer to her companion. He couldn’t help but smile again and scratch the top of her head. The only saving grace Kiba had in this moment was the Reztreal that could track auras to help give him an idea of a path to follow. As his head turned there was a flare of light that caught his attention. His movements stopped as he attempted to pinpoint it. There were not many other options for him to take as he shifted away from a particularly horrific tree that could only have been a horrific death for the solider.  

Deciding to follow the energy he saw, Kiba changed direction and made his way over. Even when he was about to lose balance he refused to grab onto a tree to steady himself. The diowolf shielded his eye as he came closer to the origin of the light he finally realized that it was from a person. Ducking under a low limb, Kiba smiled as he came into view of the individual. “Excuse me, sir. I don’t mean to intrude, but do you by chance know how to get out of here? I made a wrong turn and somehow ended up in here….of all places.” Kiba chuckled with embarrassment while rubbing the back of his head. Shil cooed at the familiar that was hanging with the gentleman full of curiosity.  

Naota

Character Info
Koschei Forest was one of the most unpredictable places he could think of, especially during a time like this. Even with that knowledge, he still hadn’t expected to hear someone else braving a path through the trees. He looked over at him, his eyes flicking to the small dragon like creature that was nestled so close. His own companion looked it over, sizing up whether or not it was a threat, and after determining that it wasn’t, instead set its sights on the man.

Naota’s lips parted, what bad timing for someone to get lost in such a dangerous place. His markings, which had remained dull so far, slowly glowed brighter with the instant lurch into wanting to protect him. Protective urges weren’t uncommon with him, but usually he was able to pass them off and let go of his grip of thinking he would be directly responsible for someone not being safe. This time, with the world going as it was? It wasn’t so easy.

“I know the way,” he admitted softly, looking briefly towards the way he had been travelling, “But I’m not so sure you would want to go where I’m going.” He looked back at him, sizing him up as best as he could with such a quick glance, “It just so happens I’m on my way to Kurayo. It’s the nearest airship port from here, and while normally I’d travel far distances by other means, magick isn’t exactly the safest transport right now,” he admitted with a sheepish grin. He was trying to keep the tone light, despite how very bleak the situation was for them right now: a haunted forest, and then straight into the eternal night of Kurayo.

“Where is it you’re trying to get to?” he asked, bringing his attention back to the stranger. He offered a hand to shake, “My name’s Naota, what should I call you?” His eyes glanced up to his small dragon and his gaze softened, “And you’re small friend there,” he added, trying to keep tensions down as much as possible.

God Rules:
Kiba

Character Info
The reztreal that was planted in Kiba's eye socket continued to flair from time to time.  He knew that if he couldn't get it under control soon, there would be a headache that would come over him.  With that large of an energy flair, it could only mean one thing.  The power had the same emanation as when he had met Lokir and Angela.  He did not want to jump to conclusions, but also did not want to not move forward with caution.  Shil crooned while tightening her long tail around his arm.  Her little noise made his features soften, and then he smiled.  "Alright, we will keep moving forward. I know you don't like it here."  

Kiba was genuinely embarrassed that he had made such a wrong turn.  It was clear that natives to Revaliir would not make such a mistake.  His eyes flickered over towards one of the nearby trees that held another horrified solider bound within.  There was no holding back the shiver that rippled down his spine.  He knew nothing of the local history, but knew that it would have to be something horrible.  Patiently he waited to see if the other would be willing to share a route out.  Kiba was continuously feeling more uncomfortable with the path he had taken.  The world was completely on edge with the magic in chaos.  Revaliir was knew enough for the diowolf as well as the magic before all the insanity had begun. 

Upon hearing the response, Kiba perked up with excitement as well as relief.  Even with his instincts the area was far too new for him to figure out a way without aid.  "Truthfully sir, I am willing to go anywhere to get out.  I am new to the lands.  Unfortunately, I don't know where you are talking about.  If it is somewhere out of this forest than I am in.  Still quite embarrassed that I could make a wrong turn and end up in a location such as this."  Kiba flashed a smile though towards his new found savior.  If they were going to continue forth, he needed to make sure his weapons were in proper order.  Adjusting Shil to his shoulder the fae dragon wrapped her tail around his neck for safe measure.  Kiba pulled on the hilt of his sword from it's sheath to check on it.  He smiled at it slightly as he thought of his old friend that had gifted it to him.  

"Huh? Oh, honestly I am not entirely sure. I have been trying to help out with this magic crisis.  A giant ethereal rabbit has been make quite a mess.  I have been following it…which I am sure you know all about this," he finally concluded with a laugh.  Kiba gratefully took the offered hand to shake in return.  The man's hand felt warm with a gentle power.  He nodded at the familiar with respect before pulling away.  "My name is Kiba Balatro.  And this little one is Shil." The black fae dragon cooed in delight that she was being acknowledged.  She loved attention especially if it meant in a possible treat or petting.  "What about your familiar, Naota? It looks special, not like other's that I have witnessed before."

Naota

Character Info
His eyes widened with a long sigh through his lips as he considered taking this man through Kurayo. Prejudices aside, it simply wasn’t a very pleasant place to be for a newcomer. His sword looked formidable enough, but he hoped he had some magickal prowess on his side to accompany the steel. One could never be too careful when it came to that city, not that he’d bring all of this up at once when he knew the likelihood of him going there with Naota was very high.

“Well I’ll say that about Kurayo at least: it has an excellent airship docking, despite its less than hospitable citizens,” he said, though admittedly his only quarrel was with the vampiric residents. When it came to lycanthropes he had no real opinion one way or the other so long as they were good people. He waved away the other’s self embarrassment, “Nonsense, this place is easy enough to get turned around in. Much less when magick is going haywire.”

He nodded slowly, thinking about the great lapin and what horrible timing it had: so soon after Angela and Drae’s newest child was born. Thankfully he wasn’t too concerned about either of them. They were a force to be reckoned with and there was hardly any place safer than either of their temples. Of course, he hadn’t been able to track where the giant rabbit had ended up lately…

“That very rabbit is what has me more rushed than usual, while also with much less patience,” he laughed darkly, shaking his head a bit so as not to board a self-chastising train of thought. His much lighter smile returned when Kiba introduced himself and his companion, and his emerald eyes flickered to the cooing faerie dragon. His fingers itched to pet her, but he held back the urge.

“Well then Kiba, Shil, let’s start this disturbing trek,” hopefully light conversation would make the grim forest less so. He doubted it. This place was like a constant hammer against his spine with soulful guilt. It was just an unfortunate symptom of being a deity in a wood haunted by those that hated your kind.

The falcon took flight again, circling slowly above them as Naota led them through: its wise and perceptive eyes keeping constant watch over them. Naota chuckled, “You know, he doesn’t actually have a name. I keep trying to think of something to call him, but he gives me such a look when I come up with something that I end up feeling rude.”

He looked up at him in time to lock eyes briefly before returning his sights to Kiba, “He’s quite green to the world believe it or not. He showed up at my side when the lapin appeared, as if returning from some errand. Since then he’s scarcely left my side.” He dismissed the semi serious monologue with a wave of his hand, “If he starts to make you uncomfortable, don’t be. Half the time I feel like he considers me his newly hatched young. He’ll do you and yours no harm.”

The falcon answered that statement with as much of an irritated screech as a bird of prey could manage. But true to Naota’s word, he kept a safe distance above them before dropping down to rest on his shoulder. His eyes were ever watchful, but at least he wasn’t circling them anymore in a predatory way. “When you do come across the lapin,” he inquired, eyebrows raising, “What is your plan of action?”

God Rules:
Kiba

Character Info
Kiba’s face lit up in a bright smile as the Naota spoke of the city that lay ahead. Learning new locations was becoming a fun hobby for him since there was little else for him to focus on. He lightly pet Shil that made her give a little pleased trill. The diowolf laughed softly as he listened to his new companion give him some credit. “Well, I appreciate you not thinking I was at a complete loss. You would think my senses would tell me to keep away from such a forest. I have heard a little about this place, but the rumors do not compare to actually seeing it in person. Can give anyone the chills just looking at these trees. I don’t know what these blokes did, but damn shame the fate that had befallen them.” Kiba made a small ‘tut’ sound with his tongue with a shake of his head.

“Well if we are on the same path then I am glad that I took this way. I’ve run into the rabbit a couple of times, but need to get a move on since the thing seems to be getting more powerful. It hasn’t caused too much damage; enough to create a level of concern.” Shil cooed at the other man from her hiding spot on her new master. She was quite comfortable, though now her curiosity was getting stronger. The diowolf smiled slightly and pat her head as Naota suggested that they make their path forward. With another along for the walk it made Kiba feel more perked up. His prospects were looking better!

Kiba ignored the outlines of anguished faces as they moved through the trees. “That is quite amusing. It was kind of the same with Shil. She had to agree to her little name before it was going to stick. Quite the personality on this little miss,” he said with a laugh and shrug of his shoulders. The dragon exhaled heavily to show her lack of appreciation of his description of her. Kiba was always impressed with the things that she could pick up despite seeming so young.

He ducked under one of the low hanging branches as Naota explained the appearance of his familiar. The Reztreal in his eye socket flared a little as it once again scanned over the falcon that landed on his companion. “Well, you seem to be a well behaved hatchling,” Kiba joked. “Making his job easier to keep you in line.” After the screech from the bird he could not hold back a hearty laugh. Shil then commented in return with her own little trill to talk down at Kiba for his misbehaving. “Can’t do anything right.”

“Well, the lapin has been causing quite a stir. My main focus is to keep it away from the rest of the people that have no ability to protect themselves. I have run into it previously and the thing does not care for what it could run over or damage. The magick that it exudes is damaging, as well.” Kiba shook his head. “I can’t sense evil, per say. It is more of a level of confusion but is being fueled by the outside magicks. I don’t know how to explain it. Though I have kept a distance, I can feel that it will escalate.”

Naota

Character Info
His smile stayed, but he was sure to keep his eyes trained forward when Kiba spoke of the grim outcome of the attackers that now made up the forest. Kiba had revealed that he still knew little about Koschei, and right now he wasn’t sure if he wanted to be the one to explain what had happened here. Already he felt every accusatory stare of a frozen face and didn’t want the pit of guilt to return. He hadn’t even been born when it happened, but it stung all the same. Truth be told it had made having his temple be on Parvpora all the more strenuous. He missed the mountain top, but was grateful for the crystal littered valley where he resided now.

The depressing fog that tried to dampen his spirits was sufficiently lifted by his two temporary companions; the longer Kiba and Shil interacted with one another, the easier it was. They were like a small bubble of sunshine in the otherwise gloominess of Koschei. He chuckled, “Sometimes it’s nice to have someone want to protect you for a change.” The falcon only acknowledged him with a soft ruffle of his feathers as he straightened up on his shoulder.

“As embarrassing as it may sound, I’m not exactly sure what I’m going to do once I’m face to face with the rabbit,” he admitted sheepishly. “I don’t completely rely on magick, but with the stories I’ve heard, this thing isn’t only affected by magick but is comprised of it,” he said, looking back over to Kiba.

“Usually things like that are ‘fight fire with fire’, and the option seems to have been taken away from everyone,” he rose a hand up and pushed just enough for a soft sphere of light to sputter to life in his palm. It held its form for about two seconds before shifting into sparks and flying every which direction, ending in a spray of golden butterflies. He sighed, shaking his head, “I’m not used to having so little control.”

That small show of light was enough to draw the attention of something else lurking nearby. A gathering of blue wisps formed a bouncing line behind them, silent as ever, but not having gone completely unnoticed by his falcon which screeched threateningly at them. Naota allowed a gaze over his shoulder at them, his words more drawn out as he spoke to Kiba, “Your defense tactic is a wise one…”

God Rules: