Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Kingdom of Adeluna > The Winking Mermaid > Everyone needs a drink now and then [Open]
Ame Keldorn

Character Info
Name: Amé Keldorn
Alignment: CG
Race: Half-elf, barbarian
Class: Warrior
Silver: 899
The sun was setting by the time Amé and her small band of mercenaries made their way to the front door of The Mermaid. The sky was lit up in the colours of red and gold which contrasted the brown roofs of the city quite nicely. If you were one to take notice. This band was not one of those people.

As per usual, Amé took center stage as she reached the door and pushed it open. With a quick gaze around the room she finally settled on the table she liked the look of.

"There, get that table by the window why I get the drinks. My treat. Today was a good day for all I think"

She flashed a smile to the other five in her group. They'd come a long way since she'd scrapped them together from what was left of the group after the war. They'd all learned each other's skills and how to compliment them to an effective strategy. It made them unstoppable and for that she loved them. They were her family. With her lack of memory it was all she really had but it was enough.

They'd been with her one the day she mentally referred to as her 'first day' which was the day her memory starts. From what she'd gathered she'd woken up from a club blow to the head but the story never seemed to make all that sense to her. It didn't feel right and yet that must have been what had happened. The odd feeling it gave must have just been a side-effect of the blow. 

As she ordered the drinks and paid she turned around to watch her group. They were an odd sort of bunch really, two elven twins, a dwarf, a halfling and a fellow barbarian like herself… Well not really like herself. She wasn't quite the same. Her ears were slightly pointed and she was about a foot shorter. This marked her as a half-elf she guessed. Who knew really? 

It didn't really matter. She was the leader and they followed. Each having their own unique ability they each brought something different to the fight. The elves were caster-scouts, the dwarf, herself and the barbarian were all different type of fighters and the halfling picked up the pieces after the fight. Life was good!

With the drinks poured she joined her band at the table again and passed out the drinks.

"Okay, now don't get used to this. I'm not gonna buy you a drink every time we've had a good day. You guys need to lessen the weights in your pockets too."

These words were met with laughter as it always was.

"Yeah, yeah. That's what you always say, boss. It'll happen one day.

More laughter including an added one from Amé. It was true, she did let them get away with everything. But then, why not? They were family after all. What they could get away with, no one else ever could. They died for her. It was only fair.

Galin

Character Info
Name: Galin Ochiern
Race: Human
Silver: 643
They said it had been three days after he left that things began to turn for the worse. Galin sat in the hut he shared with Luthene in the soldiers’ camp outside the city walls, staring at the crackling flames of a feeble fire that struggled to warm the wood and turf shelter. First it was a lump at her neck, they said. Then her armpit. The physicians were baffled and even as they consulted, things progressed. Black spots, like she was spattered with a clerk’s inkwell, began to appear on her arms and legs and the next morning the fever came. She burned and froze at once, reduced to an incoherent mess. By the next morning there was blood in her mouth and lungs and she expired before the sun had set. It was less than three days from the moments she felt the first touch of malaise and her death and Galin had barely passed Vilpamolan on his journey to the clock in Arri. She was one of the first, the survivors said, but within the week it had spread through the city from the port out. It was not as virulent as many of the plagues that seemed to come with life in large cities, but it killed many, Isabella of the Winking Mermaid included. A good number of men in Domnall’s company were also killed or so weakened from the disease that they could not stand their place in the line of battle.

Galin had been spared the contagion by his trip to the north to help solve the matter of Timedeath, or, more accurately, to stand by and gawp while others solved the matter of Timedeath. He could barely manage wooden carvings, so the workings of a machine, much less a magical one, were beyond his ability without question. So instead he just made sure Luthene did not die of infection and made his way south again in time to see the end of the plague. Rather than bury the bodies, the dead were heaped in piles outside the walls and burned so the air was sickly thick with the sweet scent of burning flesh. It was not the sort of homecoming that Galin would have hoped, friends sick and dead, his sweetheart burned, and not a damned thing he could do about it. That’s what he hated the most, the powerlessness and it was the only thing that helped him feel less responsible for not having been there. It was better, he thought, to be powerless far away, trying to do good, than at Isabella’s bedside in a slow burning rage.

Instead, he spent a week after helping Domnall with disposing of the Company’s dead, reorganizing the men so the camp duties continued and watches were kept. It was not even his responsibility but the plague carried off many of the older men, too often wounded and in ill health, so he found himself acting far beyond his station. The men learned to avoid the snarling figure that prowled the camp, shouting orders and cracking the skulls of those that he sensed were shirking their duty. But for Galin, things only got worse. One morning, Domnall summoned him to the hall and when Galin arrived, silently swearing, he noticed something different on the dais at Domnall’s feet. Usually there were ten shields, one for each of the warband leaders who served under Domnall. That morning, there were nine. Ivarr's was missing. Galin cursed aloud as Domnall wordlessly pushed a blank shield toward Galin and looked at him sternly.

“Pick a good symbol. Now go, you’ve the rest of the day.”

Not wanting to face Luthene or the others he would now command, despite his best efforts to stay far from responsibility. Instead, he bowed his head, picked up the blank, leather covered shield and slung it over his back. It felt strangely heavier than his shield but he knew that it was all in his head. It was just a shield. As he followed the main path to the city’s gate, he saw one of the bonfires burning and wondered if Ivarr’s body was among the flames already. It was a damned idea, he thought, and touched the amulet of the Maker around his neck for comfort. It was like a bad dream, Galin thought, passing through the gates and heading toward the Mermaid for the first time since Isabella died. Sometimes the need to get blind drunk outweighed sentiment and today, he wanted to get blind drunk.

The table he preferred, near one of the windows, was full of a motley collection of outlanders, elves, a halfling, and a dwarf among them. Galin spat onto the rushes and pulled up a chair at a small table in the corner where he could glare at them. That was his table. His and Isabella’s. Slapping coins onto the table, one of the other serving girls, Rose if he remembered correctly, brought over a small clay cup and an jug of a deep red wine from Wyllmochvar. “No need to blame,” she started then saw the cold anger in his eyes and just left the coins and the wine on the table. He downed the first cup without blinking and the second as well, then settled into a steady pace, looking at the group that took his place. Strange outland bastards, he snarled to himself.

Pulling himself out of the seat, half of his third cup still sloshing in his hand, he walked over to them. “So, new around here, eh?” He raised his voice as he got closer; hoping that at least one of them would take offense. “Circus let out? Maker’s balls, I haven’t seen a sorry group of bastards this bad since the Valley and we run through them like a hot knife through butter. So, what is your story, eh?” Galin downed the rest of the wine as he stood over the head of their table, swaying a little and shaking his head. “What’s got you lot sitting at my table, eh?” Part of him knew he had a good chance of getting stabbed, but it was beyond his caring. He was stuck in charge of men he never wanted to command, his woman was dead, and he was drunk. And then, leaning back, he slumped into a chair, his eyes slightly out of focus. “Just resting my legs, before I thrash the lot of you,” he muttered.
Ame Keldorn

Character Info
The hairs on the back of Amé's neck prickled as she caught the sight of a man's glare out of the corner of her eye. It was a look that could burn a hole through flesh and that was why she got the sensation on the place his gaze was fixed. Someone was not happy they were there.

It could have been one of several reasons. He could be a man who hadn't seen a group like hers before. It wasn't exactly normal to see such a mixed bag of races and some people didn't agree to such a things. Equally, he could have been a man who was just looking for a fight. They were common place in a tavern and he did have a look of a fighter given that there was something shiny catching the light of something in her peripheral vision. 

For that moment, Amé chose to ignore the man. He had yet to make a move and tonight was payday. A day of spending and enjoyment. She wasn't about to let some grumpy eye-baller ruin it for them. They didn't need to be thrown out of the establishment. That was bad for business if anything else.

But Alas. As the drink began to flow, so did the man in the corner's courage. Amé hadn't let her guard down since so when he moved to approach, she was not surprised even if her band was.

She let out a long sigh. So much for an enjoyable night. Her gaze moved to Galin and she frowned for a moment as a thought that did not feel like hers passed through her mind. A flash feeling of joy came with the thought that seemed far too out of place

I know that face. Oio Naa elealla alasse!

And then the thought was gone, along with the feeling that had come with it. Instead, Amé felt confused and a little irritated. What the actual hell was that? She didn't even recognize the words though could tell by the sound that it was probably some form of elvish. Did she know that language? No. Sure bloody well didn't.

She didn't have time to think about it any more than that as the sudden tension around the table snapped her back to reality.

"Your table? Don't see your name on it. We're just here having a drink and enjoying ourselves. Grab a drink, sit down and do the same. There ain't no reason to be sat at a table at a tavern with a face so long it's brushing the rushes."

And with that, the tension from her fellow mercenaries lessened as that was their cue to calm down and continue enjoying themselves- with a little guard of course. Just in case something was to happen.

"Thrash the lot of us, is it?" Amé repeated with a snort as she watched the man sit down "For what? Sitting at your preferred table? Don't be so daft. There are better things to wet a sword over than that."

While Amé tried to convey that she was being laid back and humorous of the situation she could not hide the tension of a warrior ready to bounce into combat at so much as an inkling that this was about to go tits up.

Something told her it wouldn't happen though. There was a sense of ease she couldn't explain. This man was a complete stranger and an utter pisshead at that. Why was that feeling of ease even there? It didn't belong.

To shake it off she continued talking. The man had asked a question after all. It would be rude not to answer

"If you've got to know, We've just come off a job and it's payday. We're spending what we earned. Our gods given right, don't you think?"  

Her tone was light and conversational but she hoped the slight edge of her tone brought a clear message along with it. Start trouble and she'll happily finish it.

Galin

Character Info
"Ain’t got my name on it, no,” he conceded, settling in his seat. “But it is mine, see. Mine and Isabella’s. Only she ain’t here anymore.” He spat in the rushes and cracked his neck with a groan of appreciation. “Maybe you lot were lucky enough to miss it, but there was a nasty touch of the plague these last months, and she got taken, you see. And me up dealing with the damned clock, same as always. Fighting other people’s bloody wars and cleaning up the messes of the great and grand of the damned world.” He shrugged then raised his hand for the serving girl to bring more wine and cups. “If I’m to be sitting with you, of course, I am paying my way, see.” He poured cups for each of them and refilled his own carefully, trying not to spill even as he felt himself a touch drunker than he would have expected.

From the look of the group, they were fighting sorts, armed and their weapons had a well-worn look that came from years of use. Galin judged a soldier on their weapons rather than their appearance, something that served him well in the war. Many of the New Order’s numbers were untrained rabble whipped into a fanatical frenzy or courtly soldiers from the south who knew more of sonnets and tournaments than battle. They looked down on the less refined men from the North but died on their swords all the same. That’s how it had been in the Valley for Galin and he lived to tell about it.

“Mercenaries, are you, then? At least by the look of you.” He smiled and spread his arms to show that he meant no offense. “Then even if the lot of you are a bunch of outlanders, you’re in the company of family. I’m of the profession as well, settled here in Adeluna with a bunch of us Northern bastards. Domnall’s company now, was Eoin’s in the war but he got himself killed in Sarchu.” He drank the wine, willing himself to slow down and not plummet head first into a stupor. “The name’s Galin, see, and I just the fucking privilege of commanding one of the warbands of the company, and more fool me for it.” He shook his head in a moment of amused self-pity and sipped his wine. “Ain’t the sort of man that leads, you know. Good soldier, hell of a man in a fight, but on top of it, the buggers’ve put me in charge of the skirmishers. Can you see that? A bloody shield wall man in charge of the lads out skulking in ambush. Maker help me, but it’s the worst damned thing. And to top it all off, the lads can’t stand me nor I them, so it’s a match made in the heavens for sure.”

He slowed, chewing his lip as he often did when he had drunk too much, then looked at the woman who seemed to be the leader of the small band of misfits. “Never did ask your name,” he said, and extended his hand to greet her properly. “And what sort of work do you all do, if you don’t mind my asking? If this shite in the company keeps up, I may be looking for new work.”
Ame Keldorn

Character Info
"Ah." Amé let the sound in a breath as the man explained just what had really got him pissed at the situation. "From what you say, it's clear you're currently a man in grief. Had I realized I probably would have shown some more respect. To lose someone in such a way while you're not around is a horrible thing indeed. All I can offer is a sorry."

It certainly explained why the man was so angry and so very drunk. To go through that sort of thing was hardly something that kept you sober. Amé herself would have done the same. Had she been interested enough in anyone to seek their company.

She glanced up at the rest of the group, without saying anything each of them agreed to the same thing.

"You're not paying for drinks while you set with us, mate. Given we've taken a spot that means something to you and given that you're in need of something to lift you up, We'd like to offer you that." She gave a pause and chuckled a little "Though given how you're currently doing, I'm not sure just how much more you can take and still find your feet."

At least the man seemed to be calming and cheering up a bit as they talked. Amé was in no mood for a fight and neither were her companions by the looks of things. They were quietly talking amongst themselves about anything really. It was clear they were happy to let their boss do the talking to the stranger and that was fine. None of them were really the 'talk to outsiders' type anyway.

"Yeah, me and this lot have been travelling together a good long while. As long as I can remember really…I've had a bit of memory loss since an incident with a troll and a club to the back of the head."

It was an embarrassing story, one the group actually liked to share when they were feeling up to it. It was one of those 'funny stories' though Amé couldn't really associate it with herself since it was hazy and didn't really sound like something she did.

"Well nice to meet you Galin, I am Amé and commanding isn't really all the bad. If you want to call leading this sorry lot commanding that is."

She shot her group a smile and they smiled back

"You don't command us, we just can't be bothered to come up with our own ideas so we follow yours."

"Yes, I know. It's kept us all alive hasn't it? I've got that going for me at least…"

There was a murmurer of 'yes' and some laughter and then it was back to the normal conversations. It was at that point Amé realized she hadn't really introduced them to Galin.

"Okay, and while we're at it. I'll introduce you to this lot. Our two elves on the end are a pair of sisters, Auila and Auria and they're our scouts with a bit of magic. The Dwarf is Thiron who's good with explosives and hammers. Bawir is the massive bloke to my right and lastly is Girona my 2IC Halfling. We're a mixed bunch so kind of rely on skirmishing. It's not that bad, you get to pick your battles in your favor and makes your losses seem far less."

She paused a moment to listen to more before continuing. "Not getting along with your lot might be a problem though. You're fighting together, you need to have at least some bond or you're not going to trust the people around you to watch your back."

Finally, she took his hand and shook it "We do whatever pays the bills really. Taking down a group of bandits that are making roads unsafe is a typical one. Killing monsters, Killing people's enemies. We're mercenaries. You need a few swords and have money, we'll do the job. We're a little bit unusual in that I prefer to take on jobs that have a good set of morals to them. I'll kill people if it's for the greater good. Helps me sleep better." 

Galin

Character Info
"It ain’t that terrible,” he said, trying to get himself together. There was no need to make more of an ass of himself with the group. “It was just a bad thing to come back to, even if she had me out on my arse before I left, you understand. I didn’t want my last words to her to be what they were, and I can’t stop kicking myself for it. But I thank you for the company and the condolences.” He had known things with Isabella were coming to an end but to leave it in cursing and spitting and come back to see her wiped from the world was a heavy burden to bear. “And I thank you for the drinks,” he said, looking at each of them in turn, showing his appreciation directly. “And I ain’t that bad off. I only see the one of you so far!”

He was jealous of the woman’s ease in command. It was something he felt he lacked. He was good at motivating men to fight and keeping the line strong when things were tenuous but the nuances of the position were lost on him. But there was nothing he could do about it anymore; he was stuck with the position and his pride dictated that he would never back down or give up. He was not about to surrender to the pressure and annoyance of the position, even if it killed him. Or his men did. “Pleasure to meet the lot of you.” He raised his glass and drank their good health after the introductions, then settled back comfortably in his seat.

“It’s a strange way of war, skirmishing. No offense, of course. I am just more used to serving in the shield wall. Life’s a lovely bit of fun there, where I know where the enemies are, who they are, and how to kill the buggers. And all the lads are grown up with bows, see, and I haven’t bothered with one since I was twelve years old, and that was just hunting the red tail deer up in my part of the country. Where we came from, it was the spear and the sword for fighters. I respect what they do, what you lot do, but it’s not how my head’s able to work, at least not yet, and the lads don’t want to give me time to learn, just make me miserable instead. So between them and talking plans with Domnall, and the plague… Maker, I haven’t had time for a drink in weeks, let alone time to learn the bow again. I wouldn’t suppose any of you lot’s any handy with a bow? Might be I could trade some coin for a chance to not look like a rank amateur with the lads.”

Her way of looking at the work was refreshing. He wished that Domnall was as conscientious about the things he contracted the company to do. It was never truly terrible work, Galin told himself, but some of it left a strange feeling of regret. He hated the unnecessary slaughter that sometimes was requested by the Queen against her rivals. Killing a man in a fair fight never made Galin lose sleep but when they had to slaughter women and children to send a message, it turned his stomach. He always made himself scarce when that sort of thing was ordered, offering to tend the wounded or watch prisoners instead. “I would prefer that, picking jobs rather than just taking whatever came down from above, but that’s a soldier’s lot, ain’t it? Go where you’re told to go, fight who you’re told fight.” He shrugged and downed the rest of his cup.

“So it wouldn’t be a gathering of soldiers without a proper war story. So, what’s your best one from the war, hmm? Impress your guest! Worst story buys the next round."
Ame Keldorn

Character Info
Ah, now that was possibly worse than losing a lover to such a thing as the plague. To lose someone you cared for while there was bad blood between you always left the situation unfinished. Something you could never go back and never make better was something that was going to eat at you forever if you let it.

"Your last words to her will never change and dwelling on it won't do no good either. I can't imagine she'll want you to beat yourself up over it. I can't imagine anyone's that unfair."

She flashed a smile at his thanks and raised a glass as a your welcome.

The group listened quietly to Galin as he spoke, though at a quick glance around the table Amé could read that the rest of her team were ready to go elsewhere. She gave them a small nod to let them know they could go when they wanted but she'd happily stay here and socialize for a bit longer. The team had been together for a good long while, they didn't need to speak to get their points across.

"I can use a bow. I don't recall how or when I learned how to do it though. I've always been a bastard sword wielder. Shield until I don't need it then finish em off with my two hands when I need a bit of force. The bow can come in handy when the opposition is too big for us to take on face to face. Shield wall is useful enough with an army but when you're just a handful of people you're just asking to be surrounded and overwhelmed."

As Galin started to speak again, the halfling of the group stood up and then the rest of them followed. Girona gave a small nod to Galin before he started to make a move. 

"We mercenaries aren't all that different. We just get to say 'no' and that's a very important difference. On that note, we're gonna hit the sack so we're going to leave you with our oh so lovely leader to tell you war stories. Just don't expect a lot of them. The poor lovey doesn't have a memory worth shit!"

There was a collection of laughs as each of them passed Amé and nudged her in jest. They also in turn each wished Galin a good night and then they were gone.

"Well I'm going to buy the next round straight off now them lot have abandoned me." She tutted. "I took a massive hit to the back of the head and haven't quite been right since. I do recall that we involved ourselves with the rest of the army who apposed The Godslayer. We hung out with the skirmishers at the front spotting fights, engaging if we needed to. It was good in a sense but… fuzzy because I cannot clearly remember. Even when I do."

She gave a frustrated sigh and then drained her cup so she could refill it again. Recalling memories was not so easier for her and this conversation was about to take a nose-dive.

"I imagine you have better stories. They might even help poke mine in to thinking about it properly."

Ame Keldorn

Character Info
Ah, now that was possibly worse than losing a lover to such a thing as the plague. To lose someone you cared for while there was bad blood between you always left the situation unfinished. Something you could never go back and never make better was something that was going to eat at you forever if you let it.

"Your last words to her will never change and dwelling on it won't do no good either. I can't imagine she'll want you to beat yourself up over it. I can't imagine anyone's that unfair."

She flashed a smile at his thanks and raised a glass as a your welcome.

The group listened quietly to Galin as he spoke, though at a quick glance around the table Amé could read that the rest of her team were ready to go elsewhere. She gave them a small nod to let them know they could go when they wanted but she'd happily stay here and socialize for a bit longer. The team had been together for a good long while, they didn't need to speak to get their points across.

"I can use a bow. I don't recall how or when I learned how to do it though. I've always been a bastard sword wielder. Shield until I don't need it then finish em off with my two hands when I need a bit of force. The bow can come in handy when the opposition is too big for us to take on face to face. Shield wall is useful enough with an army but when you're just a handful of people you're just asking to be surrounded and overwhelmed."

As Galin started to speak again, the halfling of the group stood up and then the rest of them followed. Girona gave a small nod to Galin before he started to make a move. 

"We mercenaries aren't all that different. We just get to say 'no' and that's a very important difference. On that note, we're gonna hit the sack so we're going to leave you with our oh so lovely leader to tell you war stories. Just don't expect a lot of them. The poor lovey doesn't have a memory worth shit!"

There was a collection of laughs as each of them passed Amé and nudged her in jest. They also in turn each wished Galin a good night and then they were gone.

"Well I'm going to buy the next round straight off now them lot have abandoned me." She tutted. "I took a massive hit to the back of the head and haven't quite been right since. I do recall that we involved ourselves with the rest of the army who apposed The Godslayer. We hung out with the skirmishers at the front spotting fights, engaging if we needed to. It was good in a sense but… fuzzy because I cannot clearly remember. Even when I do."

She gave a frustrated sigh and then drained her cup so she could refill it again. Recalling memories was not so easier for her and this conversation was about to take a nose-dive.

"I imagine you have better stories. They might even help poke mine in to thinking about it properly."