Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Kingdom of Adeluna > The Winking Mermaid > The Mariner's Revenge [Open to 2, R]
Ligeia

Character Info
Name: Ligeia
Alignment: CN
Race: Half Drow
Class: Dirge-singer
Silver: 144
It had been a lot time since she had been here, but Ligeia was happy to return.  The Winking Mermaid always drew a crowd, and she had some new stories to tell. Finishing the last of the cigarillo, she ground out the embers, waiting for her call to the stage.  It was time to put on a show.  "Well, ladies, and gents, and everyone who's kind enough to come see me, I've got some new stories to share.  And for those who've never heard me, well.  You'll in for a treat.  I've been traveling the world, and this story, it's so sad, I just have to share it.  They've a phrase in Ataiyo, 'Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.'  And if this story's true, this is the model of that saying," she said, before putting bow to her instrument. 

The tale was spun, a haunting tale of a boy who had seen his beloved mother taken advantage of by a greedy man.  Of living on the streets, until kind monks had taken him in.  He could have had a life there, until he overheard a whale-hunter confessing his sins, telling a tale about the same man who had killed his mother by his callous deeds.  He saet off to sea with a privateer crew, desperately seeking to avenge his mother.  "Then one night, after many months at sea, the young man found himself facing the whaling ship's crew.  He could hear the captain barking order, the same voice that haunted his dreams,  And he knew the time for his revenge had come.  But before either ship could fire, it seemed the hand of the gods descended.  A massive whale crashed through the waves, destroying both ships into splinters," she intoned, before pausing and gauging the crowd.  They seemed to be hanging on her every word, waiting breathlessly to hear the end.  It was what Ligeia lived for.

A pin being dropped would have been heard between her notes as Ligeia told of the whale had been found, with two bodies in the belly.  "One had his throat slit, the other wore a mad smile on his face.  Now you tell.  it may be just a story, told by the people across the docks…   but what a fitting end for the whaler captain!  But spare a thought for the lad, set on a path of death before he knew, all the way when he was just a lad.  And always, before seeking revenge, dig two graves," she said finishing her story with a musical flourish.  There was a subdued moment of silence before the applause burst out.

She sat at the bar later, listening to the other perform.  There was a truth to her story, but Ligeia wondered how many of the rum-soaked tales she had strung together actually held enough truth.  Not that many cared, they just wanted to drown their sorrows for awhile.

Ciara

Character Info
Name: Ciara
Race: Fae
Class: Noble/Bard
Silver: 1659
A young woman with ocean blue hair and mischievous eyes wearing a dark brown cloak stepped into the tavern as the performance began. The bartender spotted her right away but she held up her hand and shook her head. Instead, she began to listen to Ligeia's wonderful performance. The story of revenge that involved a story of sailing and whaling ships was a good choice for such a crowd. She was a professional, that much was clear. As she continued playing, Ciara observed all of her movements and her expression. She was looking for more than just a decent artist. They had to be willing to push themselves beyond their limits and discover new ways of performing. To make their mark on Revaliir in their own special way that nobody, no matter how hard they tried, could copy. This bard was brimming with potential but did she have the courage or drive to chase after a place in the world? 

Soon the performance was over and Ciara politely clapped with the rest of the crowd. Ciara looked back to the bartender and gave him a nod. He began removing decorations or breakable items from the bar counter while the fae woman approached the stage. Most of the tavern folks had gone back to their drinking and took little notice of the new woman on the stage. Then she dropped her cloak. Her flowing dress had a slit that revealed one of her legs but allowed her plenty of room to move without revealing too much. She had an ebony black fiddle in her hand and a bow. Soon she began to play a fun little tune. Only the regulars of the tavern would even recognize her. 

"Within the town of Cardawen, there is a tavern tale. You never should think or try to take a small drink of Rhydian's Special Ale." She began, "Start seein' things real funny, and given half a chance, Start swirling around and you'll then tumble down and the mice on your head will all dance!"

Her voice was sweet yet strong and had the hint of a humorous tone. The sound of the fiddle was fast and fun, enough to make a few drunkards clap along. People looked up from their drinks and began to pay their attention to the musician as her bow moved across its strings. She never broke the rhythm of the music but added variety with each note. With a cat-like smile, she jumped from the stage and landed on one of the tables. Her feet were quick and she was careful to avoid any drinks or plates as she danced on the table with her fiddle. 

"You'll see unicorns and dragons, and a castle made of gold. A feast of all feasts with fantastical beasts, of the likes which you've never been told." Her voice was a sweet melody, "You'll fly on a magic carpet, on a purple sea you'll sail. You can talk to the fish because you had the wish, to drink Rhydian's Special Ale!"

Although her tale wasn't as dramatic or detailed as the previous song, the affect on the rest of the tavern was obvious. People's humors had turned light at the absurdity and comedy that she was able to convey. Instead of drowning their sorrows, they were laughing away their problems for some other day. Some even appreciated the idea of a lovely woman dancing on their table. 

"You may be a powerful wizard, and know every kind of spell. You know all of the names of the demons in flames, even those who would never dare tell! A beautiful lady seeks your craft, to make her skin less pale. But your spell has gone wrong, now her nose is too long! All from Rhydian's Special Ale!"

Laughter rang out in the tavern as people thought about the long nose and the special ale. Ciara hopped from table to table in a dance like some sort of fairy without wings. She spun and twirled and even kicked up in the air while commanding her fiddle like a master. The years of experience in both dancing and music were present as she performed. Finally she jumped off the table and skipped her way to the bar in tune with her song. 

"Perchance within this drunken dream, you'll think yourself a knight. Whose been knocked off your horse, but it's all in due course, your opponent has won the fight!"

She leapt onto the bar counter and made her way to where Ligela was having her drink and carefully laid down in front of her. Ciara looked her with mischievous eyes as she continued her song. Then, she suddenly blew Ligela a kiss and gave her wink. 

"She strips off all her armor, removes her dress of mail. Try hard not to stare because you took the dare, to drink Rhydian's Special Ale!"

With a little laugh, she jumps back to her feet and hops off of the counter to skip towards the stage. 

"I'm telling you my young friends, here's not that can avail. You'll be lost forever, that's why you should never drink Rhydian's Special Ale!"

She finished her song on stage and the crowd broke into applause and continued laughter. Ciara gave them a dramatic bow then held up her hand to request silence. The tavern grew quiet, though it was a bit strange. 

"I challenge any of you to a battle of music. If any of you think you can keep up with me." Ciara said with a smile. 

Few in the tavern looked like they were up to such a challenge, especially not those who already knew her. 

Ligeia

Character Info
She had only been keeping half an ear on the music, since she was something of a professional and wanted to understand her competition.  But Ligeia sighed when the singing came closer, and only glared at the blue haired woman when she laid down on the bar.  This was one of those evenings where she wanted nothing more than to sing a tale or two, have a drink, and find a room to pass the night until she felt like moving on.  There was always another tavern, more tales to hear, more sorrows to gather.  Ligeia shook her head as the woman moved on, and she clapped politely.  Professional courtesy and all.  The barkeep topped off her drink, a smooth rice wine she'd gotten a taste for in Ataiyo.  He added "I'd be ready for a challenge, was I you.  Seen her like a'for, and just performin' by her lonesome's never enough," with a wink.  All Ligeia could muster was an eyeroll at this point.  The barkeep was probably in on it, since bards competing would make him more gold.

Normally Ligeia wouldn't mind, but tonight she wasn't quite in the mood for it.  The silence begged to be answered… and she let it pass.  A dwarven man finally stood up, and yelled that the challenge would be accepted.  But given how tipsy he looked, considerable for a dwarf, she figured the fae woman would run circles around him.  But it could be amusing to watch.  He launched into a bawdy tune about swimming in rivers of ale with with little hairy women, and actually managed to get through a couple verses before he started to repeat himself.  And somehow he managed to make the accordion sound even more offkey than they did most of the time.

The half drow only shook her head, and finished the sake.  Ligeia had enough of the bar for now, and got to her feet to find the innkeeper to find a room for the evening.

Ciara

Character Info
The only person to respond to her was a drunken dwarf. Still, she gave him his credit and opposed him like he was a legitimate bard. He gave it his best shot but her violin skills alone were more than enough to win the competition. She didn't even need to open her mouth to sing. Eventually, the dwarf fell over and passed out from drinking before he could even finish. She looked to the rest of the audience with a saddened look.

"It seems that I'm the only competent bard in this whole tavern. I was going to reward anybody who could at least keep up with me." Ciara said with a smirk as she held out a medium bag filled with silver, "Ah well, it can't be helped."

Overconfidence with a mix of a reward would draw in many a bard but there was only one here that held her interest. If the chance to prove her skills wasn't a motivator enough, then perhaps the coin would. Either way, Ciara wanted to see what this person could do. Winning or losing didn't matter. The only thing the bard had to do was impress her. The night was still young and there was still so much left to see.

Of course, there was always the chance that the bard would ignore the coin and leave anyway. That happened occasionally and was always disappointing when it did. But it couldn't be helped. Sometimes artists lacked the drive, the confidence, or any artistic desire to keep pushing them forwards. She had met so many talented folks who never wanted anything beyond the base desires of tomorrow's next meal and a place to sleep.

She hoped this bard wouldn't be one of them.

Ligeia

Character Info
She had hoped to slip away in the laughter that followed the dwarf's performance.  Ligeia had felt the town wearing on her after a week, and the tale of the privateer and the whaler had been the farewell she intended to leave until she came back.  But then the fae woman did the one thing that could change her mind.  It wasn't the money, she had enough of that stashed away to keep herself in relative comfort for a few months.  It was the insult to her professional pride.  A tiny voice in her head for a moment said that not every challenge needed to be answered… but Ligeia quickly brushed that doubt aside.  It simply wouldn't do to leave that kind of a challenge unanswered.

Pulling the bow across her instrument in a mournful, minor chord, Ligeia felt people's eyes shifting to her.  There was a murmur running through the crowd now, the half drow bard had already proven herself worth her salt, and now she was taking the newcomer's challenge.  After a moment she knew the perfect song.  "Somewhere in the Highlands, stands a gallow's pole, surrounded by flowers.  White they are, but freckled with red.  And if the smell of those flowers don't move you to tears, the story behind them surely will," she intoned.  The seven stringed instrument, crafted for her by an exiled friend of her mother's, was perfect for these type of songs.  Another melancholy chord and the silence that followed told Ligeia the crowd was ready.

The story of a highwayman who had finally been caught and begged for his life caught their attention.  Many were poor and had sympathy for the brigands.  She sang of his friends, too poor to pay the hangman off.  She sang of the man's brother, who brought silver and gold coins both to try and sway the mind of the hangman, but still he was unmoved.  She sang of the man's sister, coming in, offering her virtue to the hangman to save her brother.  The next morning, the hangman came with a smile, and the highwayman thought his life saved.  "But the hangman never laughed so hard to see him swinging from the gallow's pole.  The man's greed could not be swayed, and in the end, the love of his friend, his brother, and sister could not save him.  But what the hangman didn't, couldn't, understand was how close love was to hate.  And how that hate would come back to haunt him," Ligeia finished.  There were few, if any dry eyes in the tavern, and quite a bit of snuffling.  It was a truly a tragic tale, but she knew there was more to the story.

"But the fate of the highwayman's brother and sister, and the bloody course they took?  Well, that's a tale for another night," Ligeia finished with a bow.  The crowd clapped, louder than they had for her first tale, and it didn't take long for them to start begging for the next part of the story.  Ever the artist though, Ligeia held her silence as she accepted another sake from the barkeep.

Ciara

Character Info
A smile appeared on Ciara's face as she watched the bard take her bait. The fae woman took a seat on one of the tables and listened to Ligeia's song. The melody began in a minor chord as she started singing her story. Ligeia's style seemed to be melancholic and focused on the heartfelt tragedies of the world and the instrument she wielded was a perfect fit for such a theme. The story was fascinating to listen to and well structured but what Ciara was looking for was that passion that every artist saw. And she saw it. She could see how Ligeia was pushing herself for a more impressive performance. By the end of the song, everybody was clapping and Ciara clapped as well, wearing a little smile on her face. 

"Very impressive." Ciara admitted, "And I believe it's now my turn." 

Stepping up to the stage, she held out her ebony black fiddle pulling the bow across the strings with a speed and skill that only someone could learn after decades of experience. 

"The fae queen went down to Adeluna, she was looking for a babe to steal, she was in a bind cause she was way behind and she was willing to make a deal." Ciara's voice was strong and had hints of excitement, encouraging the audience to sit up and pay attention. 

The fae queen in her story was looking for a child to steal to make into her servants but one mother caught the theft and made a deal in exchange for her child's life. If the mother won the competition, she would get her child back. If she didn't, then the child would belong to the fae queen. The story appealed to the underdogs rising up against somebody who was stealing from them. Somebody who seemed unbeatable. And it helped that there were quite a few people in the room who had either children of their own or family members despite seemingly being lonely sailors. Excitement stirred in the heart of each of them as they listened to her song, hanging onto every word and sound as if it was crucial to their lives. They had smiles on their faces and a strong connection to the success of the protagonist. 

'"We each shall play and I will say which fiddle is played best, And should you win, this mortal toy I'll free without protest." They handed her a violin as black as she was fey, She placed her bow upon the strings and then began to play."

Her bow flew across the strings as she hopped from note to note in a complicated quick rhythm. The tune snapped and cracked like a whip with speed then slowed while still keeping the overall rhythm and momentum the same. Her music set ablaze the listener's heart with passion and touched upon their own desires. The darkness within the music also couldn't be kept down as it captured the idea of a faerie queene with both beauty and the coldness of her mind, all wrapped up within one song. 

"When the fae finished, the mother said, "well, you're pretty a good one, But sit down in that chair right there, And let me show you how it's done"

The mother's section began sweet and soft but quickly shifted to a series of complicated notes that were less dependent on speed and more on the agility of the bow and hands. This section was lighter and more like dancing music. People got up from their seats at the table and began dancing around with the music or clapping their hands. They were enthralled by the story and captured in its delight. The story finished with the success of the mother, saving her child and stopping the fae queen from visiting their house ever again. The audience roared with approval, still swinging off the thrilling story and urging for another one to be told. Then they came to a silence when the bar tender held up his hand. 

"I believe we have a tie. Both bards are equally skilled in their music but it would be like comparing apples to oranges with their unique styles." The bar tender declared, "So we will declare it a tie for tonight. Good job the both of you!"

Ciara smiled and gave a quick bow before she hopped off the stage, making her way towards Ligeia. She plopped the bag of money on the table with a little smirk. 

"If you recall, I said I would give this to anybody who could keep up with me." She said, "I'd say you successfully did that." 

Winning or losing was never the goal of this competition and there was one more thing Ciara had on her mind. 

"I suppose you are tired. Maybe tired of hopping from tavern to tavern? Maybe tired of not knowing where your next meal is going to come from?" Ciara began, "Or maybe your tired of always appealing to the audience instead of expressing the songs you want to play?"

Ligeia

Character Info
She had never been drawn to the lighter side of performing, so Ligeia focused on the technicalities on the other woman's performance.  And she was quite good.  Judging from how the crowd reacted, the contest could have gone on for several more songs, but the barkeep knew when enough was enough.  It was already late into the night, and the bar patrons were starting to get more raucous.  The time for carefully chosen performances was over, and the more amateur bards were invited up.  Ligeia hoped there wouldn't be too many thrown mugs this even.  She drained her glass, and turned to find the fae woman dropping the money onto her table.  An eyebrow went up, and she considered her next words carefully.  

"I didn't do it for the money.  Wounded pride however is another thing entirely.  I don't worry too much about my meals, experience has taught me quite a bit, especially about stashing coin away against rainy days.  As for the audience, well," Ligeia finally said, pausing a moment to light a cigarillo.  "I tell the stories I hear on the road.  Perhaps they're embellished, perhaps not.  But I tell just enough to keep them interested.  And a good tragedy always draws a crowd.  Reminds them of how good their own lives are," she added with a shrug.  There was more to it of course, and the path of a dirge-singer would lead to darker places, but Ligeia knew that before she set foot on it..  The stories meant two things to her, a way to keep her belly full and have her creature comforts, and to provider her with more threads to search for lore.  

"All that being said," Ligeia said with a slight smirk, "I'm not one to turn down an easy payday.  Makes traveling easier, perhaps I'll go somewhere new with this bit of coin.  Maybe Karith, it's been awhile since I've been to Parvpora," tucking away the coin.  Her tattoos had been done in Ataiyo a few years ago, perhaps it was time to visit the ink masters as well too.  "I'm Ligeia, by the way.  And before you ask, yes my all my songs contain someone dying," she added with a more relaxed grin.  Most people asked if all her songs were so gloomy, and she had gotten to the point where she answered the question before it was even asked.

Ciara

Character Info
Ciara took a seat at the table and listened as Ligeia discussed her reasonings and views on the silver. She appeared to be the type of person who went with the flow from place to place, never sticking around too long. As they talked, her new bard friend seemed to relax and open up just enough to tell her name. She was quick to defend her songs which indicated many people asking about the gloomy nature of them. Ciara simply smiled. 

"You know your style and I respect that. Much better than a newbie who has no idea what to play."
Ciara stated, "Anybody can be skilled but it's much harder to find folks who've figured out why they create and how they want to do it." 

A barmaid placed a glass of wine for Ciara. The wine was a strange glittering purple color with a tall glass that could rarely be seen in most bars. They always had her favorite drink on board in case she chooses to visit. The fae woman took a sip then placed the glass down and reached into her cloak's pocket. Pulling out a small card, she slid it over to Ligeia with an easy smile. The card was a deep ocean blue with a sun in the center. The words Elisora were written on the front in black cursive while on the back were some directions to the guild hall. 

"Elisora is an artist's guild focused on building a community of artists." She explained, "We provide access to merchants for selling products, performance locations, marketing, classes, materials, art rooms, jobs a community of artists, and the ever favorite room and food. The actual work environment will still be your choice. If you want to make a concert and get some fans, you can do it. If you prefer going from tavern to tavern, you can do it. Ultimately how you spread the music is your decision. All we do is provide you with a place to go and a community to be in." 

She took a last sip of her wine and placed it on the table. Ciara placed a couple of silver coins on the table as payment for the drink then stood up. 

"I think you'd be a great pick the guild. You've got the skill and an identity as an artist." The fae woman stated, "If you're interested, come visit us. We'd love to have you." 

Wrapping her cloaks around her shoulders, she pulled her hood over her head and gave Ligeia a smile. 

"I really did have fun tonight." Ciara said, "So thank you for the performance my dear. And I hope we meet each other again." 

With that, she began to walk towards the doors to leave the tavern. 

Ligeia

Character Info
She nodded, remembering how she had chosen her particular style of music.  There had been a tugging deep in her mind and soul both, and Ligeia knew she had found her path.  "It also doesn't work well trying to please everyone.  Some folks never learn they're not everyone's cup of tea.  Or gin.  Seen that a few times.  Done it a few times as well," Ligeia admitted with a shrug.  There was no harm in admitting mistakes, especially since remembering those mistakes kept the ego from getting over-inflated.  She glanced at the wine, and said nothing while she studied the card.  The thought of joining a guild was… slightly unsettling.  She had always been something of a free agent, existing only to satisfy her own whims.  It sounded like a good idea.  Almost too good.  The half-drow flipped the card between her nimble hands, weighing the options.  She knew how her own talents could benefit such an organization, but how would it help her?  A selfish thought perhaps… but that selfishness had served her well so far.

On the other hand…

It wasn't until the other woman started to walk away that Ligeia made her decision.  It was almost a snap decision, but her life so far had been made of many of those.  And most of the time, it turned out well enough to benefit her.  Choosing her words carefully as she walked, Ligeia wanted to know just one more thing before making a final choice, at least in this particular matter.  "Answer me just one question, if you don't mind.  I can see what Elisora would get out of having me in its ranks.  And I can see what I stand to get out of it this arrangement.  But what am I potentially giving up to be a part of it?" she asked, taking a draw off the cigarillo.  There was no malice in her voice, just the curiosity of someone who had never depended on another in her entire life.

Ciara

Character Info
Ciara stopped before she left and turned back to Ligeia with a slightly surprised look. She hadn't expected the artist to jump to the business side immediately without seeing the guild yet, though for the overcautious it did make sense. 

"If you're asking about the business side, an artist who receives a high popularity and gets an average audience over five hundred or something equivalent, we start asking for a ten percent cut on their income. However, that money is only to be used for the guild and most artists who reach that level have enough money to let themselves retire early. If you reach the elite level, we ask for a twenty percentage."
Ciara explained, "This system is build on those with success helping beginners, poorer artists, or those who have yet to reach those levels." 

Her words were spoken bluntly and she never hesitated on the information. Often she found those who asked about the business side preferred the direct truth of potential costs so they could evaluate the risk. All the money gathered from the top was spent on food, rooms, supplies, advertisements, and general maintenance for the entire guild. She smiled as she leaned against the tavern's door frame. 

"Though I suppose you might be more concerned about my intentions." 

A little blue butterfly had found itself flying into the open door of the tavern and gently landing itself on Ciara's hand. She lifted it up and looked at it for a moment. 

"Art is beloved by Revaliir but the artists are forgotten. Some are born into poverty and choosing to be an artist would only cause suffering. Some are abused by their patrons and customers to the point they quit. Some never make copies of their work or teach a new generation and their work is lost to the world." Ciara spoke solemnly. 

As she spoke, she cradled the butterfly in the palm of her hand. Then she covered it with her other, leaving it trapped in her hands. 

"How many artists have been lost? How many practices and pieces lie abandoned?" She asked, "Revaliir may not fall apart by the loss of a single artist or single work. Yet it still suffers without it. If the art world is to continue growing and advancing, we need those artists." 

She took a step outside of the tavern and freed the little butterfly. It fluttered away into the midnight sky, leaving the tavern behind. 

"That's why the guild exists. Do not expect perfection from the guild or our members." Ciara warned, "We are merely a group of people gathered together to make something new. Does that help answer your question?"