Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Kingdom of Adeluna > The Winking Mermaid > Buddies [P]
Hanaoni

Character Info
Name: Myouga Ryou
Alignment: CG
Race: Hanaoni (oni variant)
Class: Arcanist
Silver: 0
It was a nice breezy Terra afternoon in Adeluna. The birds were singing and the bells were ringing with the dinging of orders flying off the counter. She had just finished a little house visit to Lise, and was making a stop at the famous tavern. This wasn't her first time in the establishment, and like many others, for some reason they wouldn't accept her business. Said business was getting a pint for a handful of coins. No matter how convincing she was, the bartenders wouldn't sell. And so there was only one logical solution–if she couldn't get a drink from them, then why not help herself? Myouga would totally pay of course, she wasn't trying to get one for free. It sure was weird that people didn't believe her when she said she was an adult. Most of the time she had a friend like Nick go get her one and bring it over out of sight. But she couldn't ask him to tag along every time, not with his rheumatism acting up again. When that nephew of his finished that rejuvenation ointment batch, her buddy from the Mage College would be just like new. 

It was pretty busy inside, with people almost on every chair. Squeezing her way onto an empty stool before the bar, the bartender locked eyes with the small oni sitting across from him. The man narrowed his eyes while a silly grin was plastered on her face. "Oh no you don't. Don't even try. You're not getting anything with a whiff of booze if it's the last thing I'll do." Rats, it looked like he still remembered last time when she tried to sneak behind the counter to take a waterfall from the tap. She should've bought a wig and pretended to be a very beardy halfling before walking in. But sure enough, the man was soon distracted by the other customers barking orders and demanding dishes. And partly it was thanks to the big crowd that was here today–like a minstrel surrounded by a baker's dozen of ladies who were all laughing and having a good time. Just outside the circle was a less crowded group of men who were glaring daggers at the minstrel, downing drinks, and not looking like they were having a good time. 

The music sounded pretty good, but right now she had a prize she needed to get. From her bag, her jackalope familiar Patchouli emerged sniffing as an incredibly delicious smell of fresh-baked flaky pastry wafted through the air. The little arcanist took in a deep breath, and sighed. The drinks could wait–just after she found what that was on today's menu! The day's special was savory ham with a side of potatoes, roasted and smothered in a shower of buttered gravy. Some wilted greens filled the corner of the plate, but most of that was covered by everything else. To top it all off, there it was–piled high with gooey jam and sugary preserves–blackberry pie. It was a bit early for fruit, so they were making it out of canned stock. Not that anyone would mind, anyway. Most of the customers were here for the ale than the appetizers. 

There was a pie that was taken out but left off to the side while the bartender went to get a fresh barrel of beer. Myouga and Patchouli eyed it like a pair of eagles locking onto prey. Whoever had asked for it wasn't coming to claim their just desserts, and she couldn't let that go to waste. Slowly, the small oni began inching towards it. Changing seats, moving gradually within swiping range. Then she had a thought. If you took something and paid for it but nobody saw you, would that be considered stealing? Myouga chewed on that for a bit, then decided it was fine. Why not leave a bigger handful of money just in case? Now she was within two feet of that syrupy goodness. There was even a slice already cut but still sitting with the rest of the pie. The spotless white fabric of her hat poking out from above the counter, a small hand 'walked' its way up to the dish and gently lifted the piece. It disappeared below the counter, and then returned to put down a fistful of silver crescents. The marshmallow puff-hat sank below the counter again, and she crept her way back to her seat. Half of the slice was already in her mouth, crumbs and jelly stuck on her lips. She let her familiar get a mouthful before continuing to stuff her face. The bartender didn't suspect a thing, but somebody did. That somebody happened to be the center of attention this lovely balmy afternoon, sitting in perfect view of her shenanigans.

Gale Rose

Character Info
Name: Gale Rose-Thurgood
Alignment: CN
Race: Lycanthrope/Rosenite
Class: Possibly your worst nightmare
Silver: 3399
Taverns were a good place of business for bards like him. He traveled the three continents doing whatever he pleased whenever he pleased. He only half-listened to any threats he might have heard from people upset at these antics. They were mostly husbands, lovers, and sometimes fathers. However, in his eyes, they deserved everything they got from him.

Today, he scouted Adeluna and it tended to be a cesspool of men who just didn’t understand the Arriese way. If he had treated women half the way they did he would have been castrated by his fifth birthday (he was sure of it!). His voice carried over the noisy tavern as his fingers strummed at the lute’s strings. Gale had attracted quite the amount of lovelies as he paid each one attention with flowery words. Unfortunately, it looked like most of them were taken and by the gods was he getting murdered mentally.

Still, a smile stayed on his face as he leaned into one pretty blonde and sang into her ear. She giggled and the women all around were squealing as he continued his little serenade. His blue eyes didn’t fail to notice what the bartender did. Abruptly he caused one hell of a noise on the lute that sounded like discord and screeched. All the girls covered their ears and he gave them a sheepish smile. “Sorry, my flowers but it looks like I have strained myself these last few hours with you all. I do hope that you take my words as wisdom though~ You deserve far better than cow manure.” He reached over and tickled one beneath her chin as they protested him.

“I’ll be back. I don’t know when. It could be tomorrow or it could be a few years but I will always make my rounds again.” He hopped off his chair as he got a few women off of him he bowed to them and gave a cocky smile to their lovers as he bowed to them as well. “It has truly been a pleasure and remember the name, Gale~” If he gave his surname it would only cause problems and the last thing he needed was HER breathing down his neck again.

He rubbed his bearded chin for a moment as he came over to where the little woman was. “If it isn’t the endearing pie thief~” He scooped her up and over his shoulder as he grabbed the pie. Plopping her down at his private table he set the pie down and beckoned one of the pretty waitresses over. “So… Elizabeth~” He pulled her close by her waist and used his free hand to openly play with the neckline of her corset. “Could you perhaps find it in your darling heart to get us some alcohol~ Honey Mead would be wonderful. Also, ten pies if you would of your best Terra fruit. For me?”

The woman chuckled a bit, “As long as you pay your tab at the end of the night… I’ll do whatever you want.”

“Good because that old man of yours looks like he’s gonna kill me and he told my dear friend here no alcohol~ I can promise you she is good for it.” He pulled Elizabeth close and put his forehead to hers. “So… You’re good for it right? I’ll pay up I promise as I’ve made quite the coin from the last few hours alone.”

“Yeah, yeah Gale. I know you’re good for it,” the woman rolled her eyes and pushed away from him with little resistance from the bard as he let go.

He settled down in the seat as he crossed his leg over his other looking at Myouga. “The name is Gale. I’m a traveling bard… and you, my sweetling, are quite the trouble finder.” Trouble maker was such a crude term. “So allow me to supply you with all of your bad ideas from here until the final moments of the day.” Elizabeth brought them over a few tankards of the honey mead and Gale pushed one over to his new friend.

“The pies will be a few minutes as we have to freshly bake them but you’ll have them in no time.”

Gale waved it off, “We have time. Don’t we friend?” He eyed Myouga and gave a smirk back up to the waitress as she let them be.

Hanaoni

Character Info
Just as she thought she had gotten away with her heist, somebody picked her up as she shoved the last bite of her pie into her mouth. Her eyes followed the plate as the remainder of the blackberry goodness was swept away along with her to an empty table. Her legs dangled above the ground and her familiar made warbling noises as it cleaned its face off. Continuing to chew through flaky buttered crust, Myouga watched as the minstrel called one of the waitresses over and ordered some food of his own. Well, alcohol–then food, like–ten pies like the one she had seen earlier. The small oni's eyes went wide as she heard she was getting alcohol at last!! Honey mead! One of the famous drinks in the better taverns all over! FINALLY!! It was hard not to grin with her cheeks stuffed like a chipmunk. Swallowing as Elizabeth went to get them their drinks, she wiped her mouth with the back of her hand. 

"Hello! I liked your music, it's cheery and makes the food taste better! I'm the great and magnificent Myouga–arcanist extraordinaire!" She waved her arms, grinning from ear to ear. "I do a lotta traveling too when I'm not working, actually I do a lotta traveling when I'm working too." Once the tankard was in her hands, she was practically bouncing in her seat. Without another word, she tilted her head back and began to pour the mead straight down her gullet. Slamming the empty tankard down, she let out a sigh of satisfaction. "Ahhh~ It's goood~" It'd take more than one of these to make her tipsy. Even though she was small, she was still an oni after all. She could hold more alcohol in her body than three of this joint's biggest barrels and still be able to fly straight. This man knew she liked pie and wanted alcohol–anyone who bought somebody ten pies and alcohol in one sitting was definitely her best friend. 

"How d'you know?" She asked, eagerly stuffing a slice of warm pie into her mouth when the first one came to the table. She gave a bite to the jackalope, who was sitting on the table. In between gulps of mead and bites of pie, she was wiping her hands on a napkin. It seemed her appetite was endless, as she wasn't drinking but more like inhaling the alcohol as soon as it was refilled. "Thish ish sho good~ Kinda like–the cherry cakesh back home with red bean jelly." Washing down that slice with more mead, she licked her lips and was ready for more. "So what sorta bad ideas do you have for me? Ooh, wait lemme get my book out!" A journal and quill appeared as she busied herself with devouring the desserts.

Gale Rose

Character Info
Name: Gale Rose-Thurgood
Alignment: CN
Race: Lycanthrope/Rosenite
Class: Possibly your worst nightmare
Silver: 3399
Gale brought the mug up to his lips as he sipped on the mead. His blue eyes never wavered from the small oni. She truly was a little trouble maker which was perfect for him. “That’s a bard's job after all. If you aren’t enhancing the atmosphere with your songs then why are you even playing in a tavern, to begin with,” he sounded so cheeky as he downed half the mug following Myouga’s pace.

Mulling over her question he just chuckled, “A man worth his salt should know what a woman wants just by watching her and I saw and heard you. It’s important to remember certain things very well and a woman’s happiness should be most important especially to a bard.” He looked over at his admiring fans and winked at them causing quite the commotion. “See? Friends for life now.” Though he was sure their husbands would kill him in his sleep if he didn’t watch himself.

“Aye, these pies are some of the best in Adeluna but Arriese pies are some of my absolute favorites.” His mother baked all the time and he would often steal them after they had gotten done cooling. He could see hear the words of the goddess after she discovered what he had done. “So My Heart…Your name fits you quite well and your parents did well to bestow it on you. After all, my name is Gale and I come in like a strong forced wind through a valley.”

For better or for worse.

Oh, she was eager to hear his ideas. “Well, depending on your talents Master Arcanist. We could cause quite the commotion here after I pay. Cause trouble for those no-good husbands over there that are still eyeing me… I do need to make my escape at the end of the night after all. I’m sure a master like yourself could help me out with that. I have a whole head full of ideas for trouble causing.”

He got his lute and plucked a few strings as he mused, “It began on a gorgeous Terra night:
I was the most cunning bard around,
She was the most petite arcanist.

She was my new companion,
My small companion,
My arcanist.

One night, one gorgeous night,
We decided to eat too much.
Together we ate a lot of pie.
It was delicious, so delicious.

From that moment our relationship changed.
She was so hungry.
My small arcanist.”

His voice was low as he half-finished a little ballad as his fingers strummed a rather simple melody for the lyrics. “So what do you say? Will you be my small companion?” He drank another mug of the mead. This could be fun… He could see the look on his mother’s face already.

Hanaoni

Character Info
If there was one thing Myouga knew about Gale, it was that he was pretty smart. There were many different kinds of intelligence, from understanding magic to knowing how much pork to put in a steamed bun. There was a gleam of pride in her dark eyes when the bard mentioned her name. "Yup~ That's right! And the best thing is, where I'm from you can make a million meanings for the same sounding name by swapping out characters." The small oni said, putting a hand to her mouth as she loudly whispered to him like it was a secret. The meaning of her given name's characters supposedly meant 'divine blessing', however its pronunciation in Ataiyan just so happened to be the same as 'ginger'. When he mentioned his plans to end things with a bang before calling it a night, she was already grinning from ear to ear. "If there's one thing I know, it's how make a great getaway! I'm in! After all, we're buddies now!" 

First drinking buddies and now compatriots in mischief–it was like she had finally found somebody who knew what life was all about. Sure she had a lot of good friends who liked some of the same things as she did, but this was different. Nick couldn't always go with her on her wild escapades as he was getting up in years, and hardly anybody else would jump at the opportunity if she said she was going to wrangle some jackalopes. And besides, she hadn't had so much fun in a long time! Anybody who bought her snacks and drinks was good in her book. 

Pouring her tankard bottoms up, she drained the rest of the mead and leaned over the table towards the cheeky bard. "Sooo~ Whaddya need?" She wiggled her eyebrows with that knowing look. "Got a Reynash's endless bag right here. And if it's not inside, I can pull it outta my hat!" Her other traveling glass was inside said hat, but that ruined the surprise. Patchouli licked the crumbs off its face while its eyelids started to grow heavy, with a belly full of sugary fruit filling and flaky pastry. It burped before sliding off the table to doze off, leaving a scattering of buttery crumbs behind where it had been.