Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Kingdom of Adeluna > The Winking Mermaid > A Chance Meeting [P]
Silver Star

Character Info
Name: Ernest
Alignment: TN
Race: Human
Class:
Silver: 8982
Ernest didn't make it a habit to visit taverns. She found them to be rather a waste of her time and money, and often rather dangerous, as there were usually fights, and, if not that, people who would recognize her. She didn't have many enemies, but she found it good practice to be on the lookout anyway. There were always people who would try to prey on the defenceless. 

So, she sat as far in the corner as she could, eating a meat pie and subtly watching every person who came in or out. At the first sign of trouble, she would be gone, but, for now, she was safe. She supposed that eventually she would have to leave - even if she'd had the money for a room, she had other things to spend it on - but it was raining and rather cold outside and she was loath to leave the warmth of the room as long as it was available. 

The barkeep called out for entries to the singing contest, and Ernest unconsciously tightened her grip on her dagger. Contests usually meant fights, and fights meant trouble. Perhaps she should leave now. But it was so nice in here. There was no need to leave yet.

Three songs later, she heard the shouts, and saw people starting to throw punches. Now she had to leave. Of course, though, the fight had broken out directly in her path to the doorway. She was stuck here now, unless she wanted to try to cut through the knot of men all hitting each other. No, that would be a very bad idea. She stayed where she was, hoping quietly that she would remain unnoticed.

OzirisXP

Character Info
Name: Tarian de' Bellati,
Alignment: CN
Race: Half-Elf
Class: Musician
Silver: 97
Tarian's first visit to The Winking Mermaid had gone quite well so far. He was used to visiting inns, and this one was no different. It was cozy and warm, and it sheltered him from outside weather. Being a bard, he just couldn't resist the singing contest. Eagerly awaiting his turn, he was very disappointed when a fight broke out, postponing the whole competition, maybe even cancelling it for the night.

Like anyone in their right mind, he wanted to get away from the fight, or at least be somewhere where they won't see him. After scanning the room several times, looking left and right, he saw lonely table in the farthest part of the room, although occupied by a young human. Even though he didn't want to be an unwanted guest, it was simply the best solution and he really didn't want to deal with drunks tonight.

He carefully approached the table, trying not to appear like another aggressive sailor. "Excuse me, may I sit at your table, miss? I wouldn't want to intrude, by any means…" The Half-Elf had a noble posture, although he didn't seem arrogant as others of blue blood, and his smile seemed to give away only honesty and good intentions.

OOC: OzirisXP, a somewhat regular person. To those RPing with me, I am on one to three times a day, for about an hour each time. I am sorry if I take long to reply.
IC: Tarian de' Bellati, a bored musician looking for inspiration.
Silver Star

Character Info
Class:
Ernest had seen the man walk in, but she hadn't taken much notice of him. He hadn't seemed a threat at the time. Now that he approached her, she scrutinized him more carefully. He seemed nice enough, although Ernest knew better than to trust someone on looks alone. Still, she didn't think he would be a major threat to her.

She smiled, trying to match his expression. "You're not intruding," she said. "I don't mind." Still, she didn't loosen her grip on her dagger, hidden under the table. "So, what brings you here on this night? I don't think I've seen you around before." Not that she knew a lot of the people in the Winking Mermaid. However, she had been around Adeluna a few times, and she didn't recognize him from anywhere she'd been.

OzirisXP

Character Info
Tarian would nod as a sign of appreciation, sitting down and taking the lute off his back and onto his lap. "I came for food, drink and a good time. Traveling alone can be quite a dull task. Ofcourse, I wanted to compete too, but…" He glanced towards the fight, continuing "It seems that that won't be possible tonight." He looked down towards the lute, fiddling with the instrument, playing a few very quiet chords.

After a short moment of silence, he looked at her again. "What about you?" He asked. "Are you traveling too, or is tonight just a break from the regular life?" Still brushing the strings of the lute, he tried tuning it slightly better. The unfortunate weather was never good news for an uncovered instrument.

OOC: OzirisXP, a somewhat regular person. To those RPing with me, I am on one to three times a day, for about an hour each time. I am sorry if I take long to reply.
Silver Star

Character Info
Class:
Ernest watched him, playing with his instrument, with some interest. Music had been one of those things she never really got to see much of - one of the reasons she had been somewhat upset when the fight started. "They'll probably stop fighting eventually," she said. "Maybe it'll be early enough that you can still compete." She wondered if he was any good. Maybe if the fight died down really early, she could watch him perform. Unlikely, though. She didn't expect the barkeep to let her stay much longer.

A small part of her still got worried whenever anyone asked her questions, but there really wasn't any reason to worry. People were curious. She knew that, it just bugged her. "I suppose both, actually," she answered. "I don't usually visit inns. Too much fighting." And money, but she wasn't going to mention that. "But, yes, I'm a traveller."

The rain pounded even harder on the windows, and Ernest frowned. It wasn't going to be a good night, tonight. "The weather isn't very nice, is it?" she commented.

OzirisXP

Character Info
"It's not nice at all unless you have a roof over your head. But, it has to pass eventually…" He replied. "As for the fight, I really hope it does. Performing is one of those things I live for, and it always makes me feel so energized."  Now finished with tuning the lute, his fingers quietly danced over the strings, and while no sound came out of it, the speed was a show on its own. He was confident enough to close his eyes as he ran up and down the lute, and he didn't give any sign of making a mistake. Not that anyone would notice as no notes were actually played.

"I always preferred travelers to settler folk. They're so much more diverse and… Oh, could you forgive me rudeness, I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Tarian, at your service." He said, bowing his head a little in a sign of respect. "What should I call you, miss..?" He seemed very interested in her, stopping his quiet performance, diverting his full attention and waiting for an answer.

Silver Star

Character Info
Class:
Ernest watched him continue playing his instrument. He seemed quite good, from her limited knowledge of instruments. She was only half-paying attention as he talked, being much more interested in his instrument. A part of her wished she had a skill like that.

She gave a half-second pause before responding to his question, noticing that he had turned all of his attention towards her. "I'm Ernest," she said. He had given her his name, so at least if he pulled something, she could try to find him. Unless he was using an alias, of course.

"So, where have you been travelling of late?" she asked. She always loved new information and stories. "Anywhere particularly interesting?"

OzirisXP

Character Info
Tarian was happy that she had given him a name. To him, it was a sign of trust. Of course, he had given aliases before so he should know people aren't always honest, but she had no reason to lie. It was just an accidental meeting at a tavern.

"My travels begun recently, so I haven't been travelling long. There haven't been many interesting places I've seen yet, mostly roads and taverns, but I want to travel all over Canelux. I have come here to rest before I reach Adeluna City." He said. "However, I have heard some rumors about caves in the Mountains…" He paused for air and glanced toward the ongoing fight, visibly disappointed it was still going on. "However, on a larger scale, I want to go everywhere, Adeluna, Canelux, even into areas barely accessible to mortals."

"What about you? Where are you going, and when did you start roaming?" He smiled. Maybe there's enough material for a story here. Maybe even a song! Adventurers truly are the most interesting people.

Silver Star

Character Info
Class:
"We share a common goal, then," Ernest said, a slight grin spreading across her face. "I want to see everywhere someday, too." She was actually quite surprised to have met someone else who loved exploring. There were few enough of them out there.

"As for me," she said, "I started wandering about four years ago." She knew she was telling some things that she didn't say a lot, but she was kind of excited to meet another explorer. "And, really, I never know where I'm going. I might go check out the mountains to the north, or, if I can, maybe go to Egjora Island. It all depends, really. I don't plan. I've learned that I always get knocked off course if I try to plan where to go, so I've just stopped bothering."

She grinned a little bit more. "As for where I've been… a lot of places. Recently, out in Varaz. And in Vilpamolan. Then, here. But I've been all over."

OzirisXP

Character Info
A common goal is the dream for those looking for companionship, especially those having trouble with self-defense. Tarian, however, didn't want to force anything, so he decided to let things happen on their own before acting. He did hope for his lone travels to end, it made the uneventful road even duller.

"Four years…" Tarian seemed to faze out for a moment. Four years is a long time, and he couldn't even imagine what it would be to travel that long. As weak as he was, typical noble, there were even more dangers, and his starting point was a really poor choice. Ancense ruins are a trap even for the experienced, but Tarian had only begun to explore the world without the aid of books. But the stories, he could already see it. A pathetic musician discovered ancient treasures deep within the mountains… It's a shame it won't work out that way, unless he gets really lucky.

"You must lead a dangerous life to have been to those places. Vilpamolan… I can only envy you though, the skills and trades you can learn in that city might even outweigh the danger it presents." He said. Those who think can easily see he is interested in the shady arts ever so slightly. "The things I envy the most, however, is the stories you might have. I would love to know what adventures you had. Would you mind sharing them with me? Maybe over a drink?" He had a confident smile on his face, slightly cocky, but not unpleasantly so.