Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Kingdom of Adeluna > The Winking Mermaid > A Captain Without a Ship [Open]
Harrison

Character Info
Name: Harrison Jones
Alignment: CG
Race: Human
Class: Devilishly Handsome
Silver: 773

The sun was shining brightly overhead and reflected cheerfully of the small waves in the water. The port was a fairly busy place of people coming off ships while others were looking for passage to other places. Along with that traffic there were those who were loading and unloading goods on the docks, there were even some people trading some of those good as soon as they were unloaded. Harrison's sea colored eyes looked at everything and took it in. He had spent months aboard a ship that wasn't his to come here to find his fortune in one of the larger cities. He looked around and spoted the castle that was one of the largest features in the city in the distance, only the beacon seemed to be any larger than it. The rogue grinned to himself as he started to walk off the docks, no need to linger here and take in these sights. He was told about the Winking Mermaid, Harrison would most likely would get some alcohol in his bell, a warm bed and if he was lucky he'd have a lady or two to share it with. Oh what wonderful possibilities that could be had here!

He moved through the streets and saw old men playing some kind of table game, betting whatever coin they had. He passed some shops on his way to the Winking Mermaid and paused briefly at the Massage Salonu, that was something he had never seen. Perhaps this would be something he would look into tomorrow. But his feet found their way to the tavern. He opened the door and there seemed to be some kind of singing contest happening, he smiled to himself as he listened for a little. Of course it didn't get past him that there were a couple of women who noticed him, after all with his devilishly handsome features he was quite difficult to resist. His dark hair and scruffy face added to the charm, but it was usually his bright eyes that caught their attention the most. The second feature that caught them was the hook he had in place of his left hand. But with his charm he was usually able to distract them from that feature easily enough.

Today he was dressed in a simple black shirt with a black long coat, black pants and black boots. The coat however had some red accents along the color, he was a very well dressed man. For now he was keeping an ear out for potential ships that he could purchase or maybe potential crew mates he could gather for the future. For now however he made himself comfortable with the rum he ordered for himself and enjoying the show as the ferocity of the songs increased and the louder the crowd became for each next verse that was sung. Perhaps this was the start of a great and wonderful adventure.

[Made by Brittlez]

Marigold

Character Info
Name: Marigold
Alignment: TG
Race: Rosenite
Class: Healer
Silver: 92
It had been quite awhile since she had left her new home, but Marigold felt like a bit of an adventure.  She remembered a particular tavern in Adeluna that just might suit her whims, and the young woman got herself together quickly.  Her curly blond hair seemed to form an aura around her, and bright blue eyes skimmed the crowd.  It was busy right now, and there was a singing contest in full swing.  Just what she wanted to find. 

Her eyes flickered around the tavern, never settling on any one person for too long.  The longest her gaze paused was on a man with a hook of some manner in place of a hand.  And that was only because she had never seen such a thing.  But her sky hued eyes quickly moved after a few moments, and Marigold moved towards a man with a mandolin.  While she couldn't play the instrument, she could certainly sing along with one.  There was a particular tune she had always loved growing up, and it was one she was certain would win over the tavern patrons. 

The funny lyrics were well suited and received by the audience, and the young woman was glad she had chosen it.  The song spoke of a maiden, loveliest in her village and desired by all the young men.  Each boy brought her a gift, pretty things that would win over most maidens.  While she graciously received the gifts, the maiden refused to chose based on those gifts.  She and her father agreed on a contest of sorts, to bring the maiden her heart's true desire.  "And just what was that desire?  Was it gold or jewels?  What do you gentlemen think?" Marigold asked, pausing her song to see what the audience thought.

Telperion The Second

Character Info
Name: Girfic
Alignment: CN
Race: Satyr
Class: Berserk
Silver: 495
Girfic swallowed another mouthful of the ale before him. The large Satyr was seated near the stage, listening to one song after another, cheering with the crowd. When the question was asked, he  He slid the heavy coat off him and stepped forward, his axe to his side. Several men from the audience were yelling what they thought to be the right answer, mostly treasures such as gold or sapphires, or objects impossible to achieve, such as a dragon's body, but he knew that things like these were seldom desired by people in songs and tales as these.
"A man." His voice came out deep, harsh and rough, but it was also the sound of one who would bellow commands that would be obeyed immediately. "A true hero, one that could break through Mithril." He growled.
As he said the word Mithril, he glanced at his own axe briefly, before turning his eyes back to the minstrel, then they caught something else.

His eyes fell on a young man. He was handsome, and he had the look of a seafarer. One of his hands was missing, replaced by a strong hook.

Harrison

Character Info
Harrison's attention was then drawn to a woman's voice and the sound of a mandolin. She was quite the tall drink in this tavern almost filled to the brim with men. Sure there were bar maids that were working but they were a little different than this golden haired woman that was singing now. He couldn't help but wonder about seeing those golden locks cascading over a pillow and the thought brought a brief grin to his face. Harrison knew that thought was on any man's mind that caught a glimpse of her. Perhaps she had experienced this song personally, men trying to gain her hand if only for an evening of bliss, but he knew that she wouldn't be easy. When she asked about what a woman would desire, he was sure that he could come up with the correct answer but the answer he had in mind was more amusing than anything.

Then the first man spoke up, well, half man half goat more likely. He had heard tales of satyr before, they were usually musically inclined and a few have managed to steal a choice woman from him from time to time. However the creature that spoke up and that was now eyeing him and his hook was nothing like that. He looked and sounded more like a dwarf than the satyr's he encountered; Harrison paid him no more than a glance before he turned his attention to the woman, after all it was rude to stare. A few other voices shouted out what they thought were answers.

“A diamond the size of my fist!” A large man yelled holding up his fist to show the size.

“Her weight in gold!” Another shouted.

“My undying love!” One shouted which immediately got the laughter of those who heard it.

“A lady wants a man who has excellent swordsmanship, who can wield his sword in any position.” Harrison yelled and got a good laugh from the crowd and he received a hearty slap on the back from another man who passed by. The Captain wore a large grin on his face as he continued to listen to men shout out their responses.

“My best cow!”

“The best ship named after her!”

“Healthy children!”  It was the same guy who said his undying love.

[Made by Brittlez]

Marigold

Character Info
The answers were what she expected to hear, and Marigold had to fight for a moment to not smirk.  "Bunch of self centered bastards, this lot," she thought to herself.  But the beat of the mandolin continued, and the woman only shook her head, eyes full of mischief.  "Nope, all wrong, the lot of you.  Though your choice isn't a bad one," she said with a grin as she pointed to the hook handed man.  Then her singing voice resumed, and she finished the story. 

It was a simple thing the maiden wanted, and only one man in the village even came close.  He offered her a book, and told her that it was to write her story in it, filled with what she wanted to do, and where she wanted to go with whomever she chose to be with.  "Freedom, gentlemen.  Plain and easy.  To do what she wants with who she wants.  Any of you ever consider that?" she asked, sarcasm biting into her voice now.  The tavern's cheering turned to confusion for a few moments, and Marigold knew she'd likely lost tonight's singing contest.  But she'd at least given them something to think about.

Jumping off the stage to let the next person have their go, the young woman ordered herself a glass of wine, and found an empty seat.  It was close to a wall, letting her rest her back against it.  Abuse had led to paranoia, and Marigold didn't want anyone even trying to sneak up on her.  She did wonder if anyone would try and approach her.  She almost hoped so.

Harrison

Character Info

He grinned at her brightly and raised his glass to her and listened to the remainder of the song. Harrison seemed a little surprised when when her tone went from a mischievous and fun tone to a rather bitter one. It was like enjoying a savory pie only someone had place a lemon in the middle of it, it was sharp and shocking to the musical palette. Harrison saw that he wasn't the only one who noticed the crowd looked rather confused at what had occurred as she stepped off the stage. Fortunately the confusion was replaced with them laughing once again as someone took her place on the stage and began to perform their own song. Harrison noted that she was drinking by herself, back against the wall as she kept an eye on everyone and no one at the same time. He had a few guesses why she was acting the way she did, but those weren't questions to be asked right away.

He picked up his glass of rum and confidently approached her. The way he came up to her, his hooked hand was more towards the middle of his back so this way the sharp object wouldn't be so in her face. Harrison wasn't shy around the beauty with a lovely singing voice. “I do have a question for you, lass, did the maiden in your song gain the freedom she so desired and more importantly what did she do with that new found freedom?” Harrison asked curiously before grabbing a chair and taking a seat. He didn't sit too close to her, he didn't want to crowd her. Harrison was at the very least close enough to listen to her over the din of he place.

“I will say that I rather enjoyed you song, you're very talented and I doubt there'll be anyone half as good now that you've left the stage to those drunks who couldn't carry a tune if it were a glass of ale.” With that he sipped on his rum and the smile he gave her was full of charm.

[Made by Brittlez]

Telperion The Second

Character Info
The old Satyr slipped back into his seat as the song ended and another man, in blues and blacks, stepped onto the stage and started singing. He still eyed the seafarer with a single hand, who now shared a table with the golden haired lady that was just singing, and they were only a table away from him. He raised his tankard and drained it, before glancing briefly once more at the sailor and the maiden.

As the male in blue and black finished his song, the crowd applauded. Girfic stepped onto the stage, and started singing to no music in particular. He wasn't a very good singer, but he knew a few sea songs, and he sung them well. The song was about a captain of a ship who sailed to a land far on a raid, and on their way back they encountered a harsh storm. The captain and the crew drowned with their ship to the depths of the sea, not far from their homeland. But the story wasn't ever, and the rest of the song and myth was forgotten, and so he ended his song, to an applause from the watching crowd. He stepped off the stage and got back into his seat.

He raised the tankard and swallowed a mouthful of ale; the tankard had been refilled. He continued eyeing the two as music played again, and the noise of him putting the tankard on the wooden table was drowned by the renewed cheering of the crowd.

Marigold

Character Info
It didn't surprise her when one of the men in the tavern approached her, and Marigold regarded him calmly while sipping her wine.  He was at least smart enough to ask questions, rather than telling her how she had been wrong, or of there was a better version of the song.  Marigold waited until he had sat down to answer the question, and she did appreciate that he took care to keep a bit of distance.  "Well, it's simple, really.  She did, and she went where she wanted with the one person who'd been willing to let her choose.  It's said they lived long and happily.  At least in that version of the song.  I've heard others, but that one's my favorite," she finally said.  While she was wary, Marigold hadn't seen any reason to be unpleasant.  Yet.

She did smile at the compliment, it was nice to hear that instead of what she was used to hearing.  "Well, thank you.  I wanted to be a singer and dancer here… but that was before I was married off.  Maybe now I can try it.  Never really too late for second chances, I guess," Marigold said, leaving part of her story unsaid.  If this man was smart, he might be able to put the pieces together.  Then the satyr took the stage, and Marigold's eyes drifted to him.  The voice wasn't as good as some, but it was certainly a memorable tune.  Once there was a new singer, her eyes turned back to the man with the hook.  Pointing at it, she added "So what's the story with that?  I hope it's interesting," with look of curiosity.

Harrison

Character Info
Harrison listened to her response as the man on the stage carried on like a cat who's tail had been stepped on. The Captain absently rubbed his ear with his hand as he listened. The noise was certainly unpleasant and he was glad when it ended. Her response didn't sound much like freedom to him, relationships were always anchors to him. Useful when one wished to go ashore, explore and do some trading. He didn't argue with her, she had her opinion on the matter and he had his. He smiled pleasantly and nodded as she spoke, “I'm not all that familiar with the song, how do the other versions of it end?” He asked curiously, a charming smile on his face.

His blue eyes drifted to the stage as the rather grumpy looking Satyr took the stage. His song was gruff, it was certainly reminiscent of his former crew. How he missed the feeling of the deck beneath his feet and the rock of the ship. That would be soon remedied. When the pretty lass elaborated that she now had the opportunity to be a singer and a dancer and he smiled at that. It was a little sad that she had been married off but it was most excellent that she was free to do what she wanted and be happy with herself. More importantly it meant that she was single and able to spend time with him without him worrying about looking over his shoulder for a man that felt he owned her. Harrison smiled a little more, “I would certainly frequent this tavern if I knew I'd be able to see you perform.”

It was then she addressed the dragon in the room that was the metal hook he had for his left hand. Harrison had tried to keep it out of view so it didn't distract from their conversation, but it would seem that it edged into there anyway. He smirked and then grinned a little. “Well, I was in a port very similar to this and found myself in a game of cards, and I had quite the losing streak up until this point. I had run out of coin and he wanted my ship to be placed on the table. I had a really good feeling about the cards I had been dealt, but I would never risk my ship. Rather than lose my ship, I told him that I would bet my left hand. Well, apparently I had quite the losing hand.” He then gestured with his hook, a grin still on his face. “However, I am in the market for a new ship, hopefully I'll be able to procure one soon. After all, what is a Captain without a ship?”

He then really noticed that the dwarf satyr had been eyeballing him all evening and it was beginning to grate on the handsome man a little. The rogue looked over to her with a small smile on his face, “Is it me or is that satyr checking me out?”

[Made by Brittlez]

Telperion The Second

Character Info
Girfic raised the tankard and swallowed another mouthful as he watched the pair silently still. They seemed to have a conversation going, then the mariner seemed to take notice of him. He couldn't hear what the two said. The waitress dropped a plate before him; steak and bread and a little bit of cheese. As the aroma reached his nose, he took a large chunk of bread and cheese, followed by a mouthful of ale. He started wolfing down the food, and for a moment he seemed to have forgotten about the two. Girfic pushed his seat backwards, and rested against the wall, then his eyes returned to the other two. Now he knew for sure they took notice of him.