Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Kingdom of Adeluna > Adeluna City > An Unlikely Healer [P]
Luthene

Character Info
Name: Luthene
Alignment: TN
Race: Human
Class: Mercenary
Silver: 3175
Losing the books was the worst of it, as far as Luthene was concerned. The medicines could be easily replaced— not cheaply, perhaps, but easily— but books were considerably more expensive, and new ones would cost more than she had. Even then, some things, like the old physician’s notes, were irreplaceable. Luthene felt largely useless as the closest thing the Company had to a physician, and relied on the books to teach her what she needed to know. With these gone, she found herself needing to treat a variety of ailments, and no clear idea how to do so. She’d have to get outside help.

Most of what Luthene needed to treat were injuries, and that meant stitches, bandages, poultices and the like. So long as she could find the herbs and materials she needed, those would not be a problem. But the hall had been looted and sacked, and some of the women sustained far more personal injuries. While Luthene had plenty of compassion, that would not suffice as treatment, and she had no idea how to help them.

As luck would have it, a stall had been set up just outside Adeluna’s gates, not far from the hall. The signage indicated that the man was a healer, though he looked more like a warrior, large and scarred. She was a bit intimidated, but if he was set up outside the city, she suspected his medicines might come a bit cheaper. Considering all that Luthene had to replace, cheap was what she needed.

“I’m looking for a number of items,” Luthene said when she reached the stall and caught the healer’s attention. “I’m low on sutures, catgut preferably. Also anything you have that might help keep a wound from festering. I usually use comfrey and calendula. Willow bark as well, or something else that helps with pain.” She paused, thinking. “What do you recommend to help calm a person, perhaps help her sleep? I’ve never had to treat such a thing before, and I’m not sure what to use. Lavender, perhaps? And… I don’t suppose you know of a midwife?” The midwife the women had been seeing had passed, and Luthene didn’t know of any herself. “Perhaps there’s a woman you’ve worked with who might be able to offer advice on… sensitive matters.”

OOC: Jenna
Toloch

Character Info
Name: Toloch Leszvariin
Alignment: TG
Race: Haza Human (Bear)
Class: Strife Shaman
Silver: 156
Toloch was standing by his makeshift stall, sign dangling from a long stick he'd found in the woods. In exchange for a few rabbits he'd caught before getting there, a local apothecary had lent him a mortar and pestle to use in his medicines. They had talked for a while, exchanging stories and a few protips, but the apothecary had dismissed him relatively quickly - more than likely he dismissed Toloch as a barbarian, poorly versed in the arts of healing. Toloch didn't care. His goals were more lofty than the admiration of local potion-brewers; And besides, that admiration would come by itself once Toloch had gained what he wanted. For now, however, he needed to establish himself as a proper adventurer. So that's what he was doing, providing healing to the poorer, more needy folk of the town; making connections. Gaining renown. And earning a bit of silver on the side.

He had just finished mixing together a small elixir for a young woman who'd been too sweet on a local boy (he was of the belief that all children ought be born of mutual love) when another, older, more respectable female approached him. Toloch, as was his custom, kept silent, letting the patient talk while he figured out what she needed. “I’m looking for a number of items,” the woman said as she approached him. Toloch perked an eyebrow. Straightforward, this one. Wanting in the realm of courtesy, but of amicable demeanour. Typical traits of adventurers. Something tells me this'll be a long list. Toloch's private thought proved itself true soon enough, as the woman kept talking, going through a long list of requirements. “I’m low on sutures, catgut preferably. Also anything you have that might help keep a wound from festering. I usually use comfrey and calendula. Willow bark as well, or something else that helps with pain.” Toloch noticed her gaze shifted. She was thinking. There's more? There was. “What do you recommend to help calm a person, perhaps help her sleep? I’ve never had to treat such a thing before, and I’m not sure what to use. Lavender, perhaps? And… I don’t suppose you know of a midwife? Perhaps there’s a woman you’ve worked with who might be able to offer advice on… sensitive matters.”

Toloch notice her gaze held this time, presumably because she was done talking. As was his custom, Toloch answered blunt and to the point. "I have sutures, but you want waxed ram's gut, not catgut. I have an elixir that I mix - willow bark extract, cloves, milk, and other ingredients. More effective than plain bark. For sleep, I have a powder you can put in tea, though a calm conversation is best. One must not rely on potions for sleep." As he talked, he picked up various vials, pouches, and herbs, supposedly providing the things he mentioned as he mentioned them. When he was done, he looked into the woman's eyes, and grunted. "I know no midwife. I have delivered twelve children, at eleven birthings, by eight women, and I have never lost a mother or a babe. Is that good enough for you?" His gaze was piercing, and coupled with a different voice might have been threatening. Somehow, he seemed only curious, inquisitive about the local customs.

- As a strife shaman, Toloch has a druidic connection to his surroundings. He can communicate with beasts, and can occasionally be seen having deep, spiritual conversations with weeds and the odd berry bush.
- Toloch, despite his size, relies on speed. As in, the physical trait - not the narcotic substance.
- On a good day, Toloch can drink 3 cups of tea. On a bad day, 12.
-Voice Actor: Tony Jay
-Theme song: Waterflame - Wanderer
Luthene

Character Info
The man was silent while Luthene listed the things she needed, and he was equally to the point when he responded. His accent seemed unfamiliar, and she wondered where in the world he might be from. “They’re called catgut, but I think they’re typically made from sheep intestines,” Luthene explained, smiling as she did so. Perhaps he was unfamiliar with the local terms? “Just not hemp or cotton, I find they don’t work as well.” A brief pause. “Waxed ram gut is fine,” she added, just in case it wasn’t already clear. “Your elixir sounds perfect. I imagine it tastes better than just bark alone. Grown men can be rather childish about pain, but they sometimes dislike the remedy as well.”

Various pouches were assembled, and Luthene waited. He was certainly right about a calm conversation being best for sleep, but Luthene had no idea how to have such a conversation. The powder he provided would suffice for now. When the healer finished, he gave her an intense look, one that didn’t match his voice. What he said was surprising. This man, a midwife? One with some experience and skill, by the sounds of it. But he seemed to misunderstand, and Luthene’s cheeks coloured as she was forced to explain. “Not for me,” she explained, and then lowered her voice significantly, “and not for a birth. At least not for several months, though it is my sincere hope that it won’t be necessary at all. I’m looking for something to… prevent, or even end, a pregnancy.” Luthene stopped, and looked around. Fortunately, no one was paying her any mind, and they would not likely be overheard. “I know some midwives offer medicines that do this. I think it would be best if I was the one to administer them, as the women in question know me, and I’m not… tall the way you are. You’ll have to tell me how to administer the medicine— preparation, dosage, frequency, and so on— and if there’s anything else they should do or not do. If you’d rather not assist, I understand, and I’ll take the other things and be on my way. Same if you’re not familiar with the sort of remedies I’m looking for; I don’t doubt your skill, and if you happen to be here months from now and someone is in need of your services for a birth, I will give the woman your name.” She paused. “I didn’t get your name, actually. But regardless. If you can help I would be most grateful, but if not, I must look elsewhere.”

Luthene realized, after all that, she had not thought to give her name. “I am Luthene,” she added. While she had been using an alias for some months now, there was little point in continuing to do so. “I don’t suppose you would tell me what’s in the sleeping powder? I’m trying to learn some of this. Right now I’m the closest anyone comes to a physician for a company of a hundred men, plus their families if they have one. Unfortunately, our hall was recently looted, my medicines ruined, and the books I had been reading were burned, including a good one on herbs and how to use them. I have to work with what I can remember, and I’m at a loss when it comes to things I’ve never dealt with before.”

Toloch

Character Info
Toloch listened to the woman talk, his expression blank as polished stone. When she was done, he nodded, not taking his gaze away for a second. "Depending on how far the pregancy has progressed, I can make a single remedy, or a cure. I will, however, not terminate a pregnancy more than fifteen weeks in." As an afterthought, he added: "I can also teach you how to mix a preventative remedy. Life is precious, and as such should not be propagated carelessly - though love is never wrong." He flashed a rare, brief smile. "I do not share my people's secrets lightly, however. So no, I will not tell you what is in the sleeping powder." He thought for a second. "But… Should you be in the market for a combat-worthy physician… I could use steady work. And I could divulge more professional secrets, to one I learn to trust." He let the offer hang in the air for a while, his long, braided hair flying in the wind with uncharacteristic elegance, in stark contrast to everything else about the man.

- As a strife shaman, Toloch has a druidic connection to his surroundings. He can communicate with beasts, and can occasionally be seen having deep, spiritual conversations with weeds and the odd berry bush.
- Toloch, despite his size, relies on speed. As in, the physical trait - not the narcotic substance.
Luthene

Character Info
Love is never wrong. Not the first time Luthene had heard that said. Alas, that was not relevant here. “I think some of these women already take preventative measures,” she explained. “It may have worked. The… incident was just a few days ago, far too soon for them to know for certain if they’re pregnant. But, if it’s safe to do so, I’d like to give them a remedy now, and put their minds at ease. Then, should the remedy fail, there’s time to try again.”

Luthene was a bit disappointed not to know what was in the remedy he offered. “Some medicines should not be taken together,” she said. “Is that a concern with this sleeping powder? I understand if you won’t tell me what’s in it, but I need to know about it if I am to administer it. It’s my duty to care for these people. I’m sure you understand my caution. Would you give someone a remedy without knowing about it?” She returned his smile.

His offer was something to think about. Luthene was a poor substitute for a proper physician, especially without books to consult. “We don’t have the money,” Luthene admitted. “I don’t know when we’ll have work, or what kind of work. The company might disband entirely. We were out on what should have been a simple job, then ambushed by cavalry. Then our captain, fool that he was, wanted to rush back in rather than retreat back to camp. Some of us left, anyway, but when we got back to the hall, our captain had already been there with a small group of men, taken anything of value, and burned what they could not carry. We were a thousand strong, and now there’s maybe a hundred fighting men. The money we have must go to replacing what we lost and still need, like my medicines. We also need to give something to the widows and families of the men we lost in that rout, and there are a lot of them. After that…” Luthene shrugged. “We may all go our separate ways, or merge with a larger company. Or perhaps the men will want to go home. They’re all Highland men, you see. I don’t know what we’ll do, or if we’ll have need for a proper physician again.” She paused. “But at least for now, we are here, and I will ask you first if there’s anything I need, or if there’s something I cannot treat. Not the women, though,” she added, firmly. “Whatever they need, I must be the one to give it to them. They need someone they trust first.”

Toloch

Character Info
Toloch looked at the woman as she spoke, his face betraying nothing about his thoughts. He let her finish, then took a few moments to think for himself. He shrugged. "My remedy does not interact poorly with any medicine or magic I am aware of. As for the women, I have a few vials of what you need." He put them on the table. "As for the current state of your company, I cannot help you. I don't need the work right away, and so it's not much of a difference to me wether I get paid before or after your next job, if any - but I will stay in town for a few more days, so should you or your company need any further assistance, I can be found here." He took a look at the remedies and thought for a while. "These remedies… I charge seventy silver for them." Toloch looked at her blankly, his robes flapping lazily in the breeze.

Luthene

Character Info
Seventy silver was more dear than Luthene had expected. Then again, she was used to buying the ingredients and mixing them herself, following the recipes from her books. She didn’t have those anymore, and wasn’t confident enough to work from memory. There was too much at risk if she was wrong. “I have the coins,” Luthene said, taking out a small pouch and counting out the coins. Then an idea came to her. “What if I worked for you? Your apprentice, perhaps. Not for wages, but a few days each week, I can help you prepare medicines, assist in the treatment of various ailments, whatever you need. All I ask is that you teach me what you know.”

Toloch

Character Info
Toloch perked an eyebrow at the woman's suggestion. He began fingering his beard in thought. "Hrm… I would have turned most anyone else away, but… You said you worked with a band of mercenaries, correct? If so, I might have a counter-offer for you." He pulled a letter out of his robes, and showed the text to the woman. The text was a beatiful work of calligraphy, carefully written by a skilled hand. From the markings on the paper, and its signature, the letter seems to have been written by some form of clergy.

Esteemed Shaman Toloch Reszvariin, there is a matter which requires your urgent attention. We have reason to believe that a coven of witches are corrupting the forests around Hollvar Lumber Camp, an area a few miles out of the city. Locals have reported animals behaving strangely, and local clergy have detected unholy magic. However, attempts to consecrate the forest have proven hopeless. Whatever dark magic is at work, it seems to feed off, and be spread by, the local fauna. We ask that you please, for the sake of the innocent people present, take action against this threat. If possible, we would very much like you to also find out weather this coven is acting alone, for if there are others like them, a great many people are in imminent danger. Should you choose to assist us with this, you may show up at Hollvar monastery, with any companions you may wish to bring. The coven is, apparently, for women only, for of the eight missing persons reports in the area the last year, all have been female. You might therefore want to bring a woman you can trust along for the journey. The faith will compensate you properly for your efforts should you succeed in assisting us with this.

May the Gods be with you,
Brother Hael.

Toloch looked at Luthene. "As you can see, it is a tall order these priests have provided. I am of course happy to assist them, but I do not think I can cover enough ground on my own. However, as a woman well-trained in herblore…" Toloch smiled slyly now. "We might have the upper hand. I'll provide you with a few professional secrets, and you can keep one third of whatever reward the clergy seems fit to bestow. Only catch is you must follow my instructions for the duration of our task. What do you say?"

Luthene

Character Info
Luthene took the letter and read it, twice, before handing it back. “I know where that camp is,” she said, thinking. “You should know, I don’t have a magical bone in my body. I know a bit about herbs and medicines, yes, but there’s nothing magic about that. I don’t put much stock in chanting. If the objective is for me to infiltrate the coven…” She paused, thinking. “I think I can sell the lie, so long as they don’t ask for me to demonstrate any spells.”

When she finished counting out the silver, Luthene took the medicine and put it in her bag. “I’ll need to take this back to the hall and give it to the people who need it. I will also need to ask my captain for leave for a few days, but that shouldn’t be a problem. I also have my weapons and armour there.” She would need her sword, but perhaps not the spear. As she hadn’t yet replaced her shield, she would have to borrow one or go without. “We should meet back here tomorrow morning. Dawn, I think, and then I expect we’ll be at the camp before midday.” She nodded at him. “Until tomorrow, Toloch.”

Toloch

Character Info
Toloch nodded at Luthene, his face a study in blankness. "Very well. Here, at dawn, tomorrow." He watched as Luthene walked away, and began packing his things. There wern't a whole lot of them, and so it didn't take long. Toloch then removed himself from civilization, taking a walk and finding a suitably abandoned patch of forest. Walking through the woods, he spotted a nest of sparrows. He looked up at them. "Care to wake me up some time before sunrise, little friends?" The birds chirped in return. "You'll keep bad things away?" Toloch smiled at the innocent little things. Even when one could understand their speech, they were childlike things. "Yes. I will keep bad things away." The birds chirped happily in return. "We wake you up when light kisses clouds, yes!" Toloch smiled up at them, laid down under the tree they were nesting, and fell asleep in an instant.

The next morning, Toloch was woken up by a tiny bird gently picking at his moustache. The bird quickly flew away startled when he stirred, but didn't seem too frightened. "Light is kissing clouds now, wake up, wild-man!" Toloch blinked for a few moments. Indeed, light had begun to creep over the mountaintops. Dawn would come soon. "Thank you, little friends," he said, getting up and picking up his things. The birds chirped happily in return, more like a friendly holler than speech. Toloch smiled and began to move.

He arrived by the location his stall had been the previous day a few minutes before the sun had truly risen. He looked around - it was too dark to see clearly for any considerable distance in any direction, but he didn't see Luthene. He took the time to sit down and do some maintainance on his sword, while waiting for his new friend.