Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Kingdom of Adeluna > Adeluna City > Palace Intrigue [P]
Jago Fleetfoot

Character Info
Name: Jago Fleetfoot
Alignment: CG
Race: Halfling
Class: Wizard
Silver: 0
Despite his tall deep red wizards hat and matching cloak, the Red Wizard had an uncanny ability to sneak around human cities unnoticed when he wanted due to his natural sneakiness. It was a quality few Wizards had, and in Jago’s opinion it was one of his advantages. Without a sound he had breached some of Revaliir’s most secure vaults, he had searched tombs and dungeons without being seen and had once even danced behind the Queens throne without being noticed to win a bet with a sailor.

That being said, Jago found himself running as fast as his legs would take him down the castles corridor. His scarlet cloak flapped behind him and his tall wizards hat wobbled but remained inexplicably upon his messy haired head. An extremely angry and noisy group of palace guards were in hot pursuit and their long human length legs were making this chase one sided.
The Red Wizard bounced through a door and sunlight pierced his earth green eyes. He couldn’t waste any time, quickly he raced down the palace steps. As soon as his first foot hit the floor he tapped his staff on the last step and a blast of ice made the marble staircase even shiner, and a whole lot deadlier. A moment later three guards burst out of the castle shouting for others to grab the Halfling. As they each took their first step onto the staircase they each slipped and slammed into the frozen steps with a bloody thump. “Catch you later!” Jago jeered as he leapt out of the castle gates. He darted down a side street, through the market and into an alley behind one of his favourite alchemy shops.

Nixie Laundelle

Character Info
Name: Nixie Laundelle
Alignment: CN
Race: Faerie
Class:
Silver: 216
Nixie was new to town and was feeding on the ambience of the bustling city. Once her bright green eyes gained sight of the ruckus that the Halfling was leaving in his path, she found herself focused in on him and followed as silent as a panther, her black hair flowing about her waist like a cloak of shadow. Nixie was a faerie though for all intents and purposes appeared human. This was but a mask, a camouflage that made her better suited for hunting. She was a predator who fed upon emotions, the stronger the better. Joy, sorrow, wrath all satisfied and sustained her. Without harvesting, she couldn't exist within this world. It was far different to the faery realm whence she came.

Travelling from a remote village Nixie hungered for something exciting. She had long bored of farms and birdsong, and even the wreckage she had caused there. The Red Wizard seemed interesting and she commenced stalking. Furthermore Nixie felt nothing when she concentrated on the Halfling. She could not gain any energy from his emotions. Either he felt nothing, or he was warded, the latter appearing the case in all likelihood. Curiosity gripped Nixie and she felt driven to extract answers for the questions she had; Why was this creature warded? Could others use this ward? How was this happening? It benefited her to find out. She couldn't afford to journey to this city to find her hunting pool was limited. 
Jago Fleetfoot

Character Info
Jago hoisted himself up onto a barrel and pulled a pipe from his pocket. After all that running he needed a break, he wasn’t the youngest Halfling in Komiteia. With a click of his fingers the pipe lit itself and Jago took a long drag. His free hand patted the book he’d stolen from the palace hidden under his cloak. The Red Wizard was feeling awfully pleased with himself until out of nowhere a woman had appeared and she was staring directly at him. He had a bad feeling about this.

His boots made contact with the muddy floor behind the shop as he jumped down from his seat. Jago was by no means an intimidating figure, sure he had a chestnut beard and dark eyes – but he was also only four and a half feet tall with his wizards hat on. The magus took a step towards her, a kindly look on his face.

“I know what you are faerie, but don’t fret. You can’t feed from me, and I don’t want to hurt you.” He said, stopping his approach to given them both enough space should the other attack. “My name is Jago, but most know me as the Red Wizard. How are you finding this city of men?” He added cheerfully.

Nixie Laundelle

Character Info
Class:
Nixie was taken back by Jago's bold frankness concerning what she was. Others were usually not aware and those who had the misfortune of knowing usually sought an escape from her and the dangers connected to her race. This did not show on Nixie's expressionless face however. Jago's confidence interested her very much and she saw value in continuing this exchange.
"Nixie Laundelle." She held out her hand for him to shake. "I haven't been here long." She tried to place what the mage wanted from her. "But I like how busy it is… for obvious reasons." She ran her eyes over him aiming to learn whatever she could but knew she was better at this from a distance. 
Jago Fleetfoot

Character Info
Jago took another drag on his pipe, all the while his mind was racing. Faeries were extremely powerful magical creatures, he’d never actually met one before. He was as curious about her as she was about him. As she extended a hand he took it and shook appreciatively. “Not been in the city, or not been in Revaliir long?” The Halfling asked, as another cloud of blue purple smoke snaked from his lips. Jago had read about faeries, he knew they weren’t all tiny pixie like creatures – most were human sized to blend in; but this one was huge to him. “Pardon my nosey nature, I’m one of the fleet-folk of Komiteia – Halfling. I’m a rather unusual specimen though.” Jago’s earthy eyes seemed to flash with magic, excitement and adventure when he spoke.

Jago took off his hat, and gave her a small polite bow. He was nothing if not polite, and after all this woman was very interesting to him. Faeries harness magic unlike any other race. “Would you eat with me? It’s how us fleet-folk spend time with friends. It’s how we talk, share stories and learn from each other.” With a flourish he threw his hat onto his head and started towards the nearest tavern. He gestured for her to come with him.

“I’m as curious about you, as you are me. I’m not interested in hurting you, I just want to talk.” Jago said as he walked.

Nixie Laundelle

Character Info
Class:
Nixie felt a resistance within her. It had been such a long time since she had been close to a person instead of watching and waiting from a distance. She wasn't scared of Jago but she was incredibly wary. Nixie was almost animal in her commitment to self-preservation. She weighed up the offer intently.
"I've been here a few months now. New to the city this morning." She followed, silently accepting his invitation. Nixie didn't have to eat but she could, and in any case there could be something interesting happening in the tavern in which she could harvest from. If her first impression of this tiny wizard was anything to go by, he could prove to be exactly the sort of person who causes chaos where-ever he goes; a useful friend to have on side when the chips were down. If this wizard wasn't as benevolent as he seemed and he was intending to use her, she could use him right back.

Nixie walked with the Halfling, towering over him. Her tall and slender form moved without sound, as though she was a reaper, cloaked in her long back hair and robes. She kept her concealed dagger in close reach should this situation turn suddenly, but knew that she was safe surrounded by so many others bustling around the streets and especially swarming around the tavern. Drunks stumbled around like intoxicated bees around a hive and the air was thick with the fumes of ale. Nixie contemplated whether her new associate might drink himself into a stupor and if he did, would she take his wallet… or bring him water and bread?

As they seated Nixie took in the barrage upon her senses and how it was a stark contrast to her solitary nights under the stars. She could not allow herself to become overwhelmed or show any weakness so she quickly focused on the task at hand.   
Jago Fleetfoot

Character Info
Adeluna was a bustling city with many tourist hotspots. Jago was an old hat in this city, he knew it like the back of his hand. Once he’d crossed off all the tourist drinking houses, he then ranked the rest on the strength of their ale and the quality of the meat in their pies. Today he considered a tavern that he wasn’t well known in too, as an added factor to his formula for selecting the correct tavern. The tavern selected was off the beaten track, but aside from the usual drunks loitering around would be the best fit for the suspicious looking pair.

As they entered the pub ‘The Old Kings Head’ The Wizard took off his hat, and as he pushed open the door his scarlet cloak darkened and changed colour until it was a boring dusty grey. It was obvious he was going a little more under cover. “Bit off a rough neck of the woods here. Always best to keep a low profile.” Jago whispered to Nixie as the subtle magic happened.

The now not-so-Red Wizard took the lead, finding them a table next to the fire and not too far away from the card table. It was an unspoken nod to his new friends eating habits. After all, the Halfling had his own unusual tastes. He summoned a haggard bar wench with a wave, and she brought over a piece of dirty parchment to take down their order. After reciting the menu with an unimaginable lack of enthusiasm she paused for them both to speak.

“I’m starving, are you ready for this? I’ll have the soup to start, mash potatoes, roasted vegetables and the steak and kidney pie for my main. Could I have the cheese and crackers twice for dessert? I can’t get enough cheese.” He paused, then added. “Could I also have a few slices of bread and butter – oh and a flagon of that stout.” He smiled politely as the bar woman took down his order.

“Will you eat Nixie?” He asked, as he stood on his stool to light his pipe on the candle on the table.

Nixie Laundelle

Character Info
Class:
Nixie smiled wryly to herself. Though the food they required to function was different, their appetites were quite similar. In an impulsive act to amuse the Halfling as he had amused her and to irk the bar woman she responded.
"I'll have the same. And a slice of cherry cake." A grin flickered across her usually expressionless face. As the wench, now justifiably irritated left in a huff, her tremendous bottom wagging, Nixie began straightening her skirts as she sat. "I won't eat all that." She confided to Jago without a trace of guilt.
Jago Fleetfoot

Character Info
He laughed, loudly and heartedly from his belly. Jago had a mischievous streak himself. Besides, as any good Halfling worth his weight in salt Jago wouldn’t let the plates go back half full. It didn’t do to waste food his gran had always said, and it was advice he would always stick too. Jago sat back down, but on his knees so that he could use the human sized table properly. It was a common problem he was used to dealing with.

A younger, but even more sullen woman brought over the two flagons of stout, easily bigger than Jago’s head. Jago opened his, and rested it on his arm to get a good gulp. This stout was a local beer- the hops grown on a farm just outside the city. Jago had sold the farmer a tonic for his crop – and now he was reaping the benefits. (He considered himself an important part of the brewing process, despite no one but the farmer knowing anything about his input.)

“I like you, I think. Taste for beer and meat pies?” He lowered his voice, and moved slightly closer before continuing. “How do you feel about adventure?”

Nixie Laundelle

Character Info
Class:
Nixie scoffed. "Actually I find beer and pastry especially repulsive. My sense of taste is different to yours." She allowed herself another small smile. "I was planning to take the cherries out of the cake and dip them in gravy, frankly". She was skirting around the other question. Adventure. Due to always travelling she considered her life a constant adventure but at the same time, she felt that adventure was always something that was lacking, something she was constantly seeking but never quite attaining. "I don't know anything but adventure". She replied, unsure if she was lying and uncertain whether it even made a difference if she were.