Roleplay Forums > Parvpora > Himinn Pass > Railoch > The Drums of Lightning [O]
maffleet

Character Info
Name: Jake Arellano
Alignment: CG
Race: Human
Class: Bard
Silver: 1156
"This was not quite the plan" Jake muttered to himself with his classic penchant for understatement. As if getting lost in the land of constant storms and lightning with no idea of where his destination was not a major problem for the young bard. Which it definitely was, as Jake having ridden into Railoch with a group of explorers meaning that all the provisions that had been brought were still in the covered wagon that Jake had fallen off of while asleep. Were out of reach of him so the only nourishment Jake had access to was his waterskin and a bottle of wine which he had tucked away into the folds of his cloak. Not wanting to just sit down and let the lightning or if the stories were to be believed stone behemoths kill him the bard continued walking in what he thought could be the direction of this town that the explorers had spoken of. Goliathin it was called, or so Jake thought.

While this had been a sharp turn of fortunes the journey up to this point had been most enjoyable. Jake had originally heard the group of explorers speaking of a land of storms and lightning while playing in a tavern. After striking up a conversation and making friends with one of the explorers Jake had asked to hitch a ride with them on their journey. After all if even half of the things they said about this place turned out to be true this was not something Jake could afford to miss. So the bard joined their party as "Chief scribe and entertainer" Jake enjoyed the latter job far more than the former. As chief scribe, while a very fancy title amounted to nothing more than bookkeeper making sure to write down what got used when and what food rations had been eaten on one day. An important if immensely boring task. There was far more enjoyment to be had sitting behind the drivers in the wagon and playing his instruments and singing drinking songs.

However reminiscing about the previous parts of the journey would not get Jake out of this predicament. As the landscape of Railoch was hell for someone like Jake who navigated entirely by eye and an occasional glance at a compass. However, all this wandering around through the cold rain and high winds was really beginning to wear Jake out. Unfortunately, the lightning strikes cleared the land of anything that remotely looked like it could be used as a shelter. So Jake kept walking until he came across what he would describe as the most stubborn tree in the world. Standing alone surrounded by barren nothingness the tree defiantly jutted up into the sky as if mocking the storm. Jake thought this to be a good omen and decided to rest here for a bit. Sitting down with his back against the tree Jake retrieved the wine from within his cloak and clinked the bottle against the tree. Then poured a little wine onto the ground near the tree. "You deserve a drink for your stubbornness".

Always have a song in your heart and a drink in your stomach.

Jake can only cast magic through playing music.

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.
Mezereon

Character Info
Name: Mezereon
Alignment: CN
Race: Elven Deva
Class: Diviner
Silver: 0
Crashing thunder and strikes of lightning rained down upon the earth as the heavens cast down its mad fury. Backed up against one of the lone outcroppings still standing in the scorched and drowned landscape, the lady alchemist was breathing hard as the ground shook with each peal of astral wrath. "This probably wasn't such a good idea, venturing out here by myself for a few rare ingredients!" She shouted to herself over the noise. Covering her ears, she attempted to give her heart and her ears a moment of respite. Typically she would be going out to these places with her former professor, but Liselotte didn't want to always lean on her teacher. If she was to be excellent in her field, one must be independent. And so she had asked another mage to cast a spell of teleportation to send her to where she wished to go. However things did not go as planned, as the interference caused the spell to go awry. She was sent to Railoch like intended, but not within the safety of her described location.

She was absolutely sure this was nowhere near Gobethio, and it was likely due to the void storms or some other factor which caused the error. Again, if she had Professor Ryou by her side they would be out of this mess within a few hours. But there was no time to dwell on the past–that wouldn't move her out of the present. Searching her travel bag, she finally pulled out a small pyramid of pink crystal. This was what she had been looking for, an odd little curiosity which acted like a compass which directed you to a place you wanted to go. Holding it in her hand she thought of the city which she should be in right now. It began to glow, and a beam of light shone from it in the direction of her desired destination. "Thank goodness I always keep these things on hand…what would I do without you?" She mused to the ametrine relic. 

With her staff in one hand and the crystal beacon in her other, she waited until there was a gap in between lightning strikes and made a dash forward towards the nearest location of cover. Unfortunately the time given wasn't enough, and a blast of electricity scorched the ground a little too uncomfortably close. She wouldn't be able to make it before the next pause, so she desperately cast a spell causing the earth to rise up around her forming an earthen shelter with three walls. Bending the earth to her will, she formed a roof just before a bolt struck. Dropping to the muddy floor, she kept shaping the nearby earth to rebuild what the lightning had destroyed. Her heart was racing and she could hear her own pulse pounding in her ears. Three, two–now! 

This time she charged forward at full speed and threw herself under the sparse cover of the remains of a tree which still held in spite of what the world threw at it. She hadn't realized she had company until her breathing was back to normal and the rush of adrenaline had abated. There was a man sitting on the other side, also taking shelter from the weather of Railoch. "…Oh, looks like I'm not the only one here. This is quite a surprise–I didn't expect anyone else to be around. Lovely weather we're having." She gave a coquettish smile after her last remark, which was made in lighthearted sarcasm. Her clothes and hair were soaked and a mess, but that was good for having survived more than an hour in one of the most inhospitable places in the world.

"Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin."
maffleet

Character Info
Name: Jake Arellano
Alignment: CG
Race: Human
Class: Bard
Silver: 1156
Jake had spent a bit of time enjoying his wine when the lightning seemed to be getting worse. However Jake did not spend much time dwelling on this. He was sure that he'd make it to the city. Besides worrying about death would get him nowhere. At this point, Jakes thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a woman's voice. Jake once again looked at the sky and all around at all the lightning before chuckling "Yes its the perfect weather for a nice walk isn't it". Jake turned to look at the new arrival under the tree he currently called home. She looked a bit disheveled but one can expect that when you hang out in a land of rain and lightning. Other than being wet and muddy she looked no worse for wares so she was obviously tough enough to deal with being in a place like this.

"So tell me what brings you to Railoch besides the scenic environments and wonderful weather?" Jake asked dryly. While Jake had come here just for the fun of it, The bard had learned long ago that not many people shared his desire for wanton adventure for the sake of it. Either way, if she had come out here for a specific reason she must know where this city is. As much fun as running around aimlessly in a booming wasteland Jake was quite desperate for a good meal and a place to sleep that wasn't in constant danger of being blown up by lightning. 

"I don't suppose you'd know how to get to Glieberton or whatever that cities called? If so would you be so kind as to point out what way it is as I'd enjoy finally getting out of this damned rain." Jake then began to stand up as he prepared to leave. As he saw it this woman either knew where this place was. In which case they'd want to get moving quickly. Or she didn't and Jake would have to continue looking for it on his own and he needed to get moving as the more time he spent sitting still the less likely it was that he'd find the city. Jake then remembering that this woman had been going through the same stuff he'd been going through today offered her the bottle of wine he'd been drinking from.

Always have a song in your heart and a drink in your stomach.

Jake can only cast magic through playing music.

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.
Mezereon

Character Info
Name: Mezereon
Alignment: CN
Race: Elven Deva
Class: Diviner
Silver: 0
"A little slip in a teleportation spell sent me short of where I wanted to go. But no point in griping over the past; after all it could be worse." Wiping her face on her sleeve, she leaned her back against the charred trunk. "I was planning to stop by Gobethio, you know that city powered with lights? I heard there were some interesting alchemical reagents here, and wanted to purchase some wholesale." Letting out a sigh, Liselotte continued. "Well I suppose I've already found the reagents, but this is definitely not according to plan." Seeing him offer her a drink, she gave a smile and nod before taking it. "Thank you." Reaching into her travel bag she retrieved a metal cup and poured some into it before returning the bottle to him.

"If you want to go to Gobethio from here, it'll be quite the trip. I don't know the exact distance, but I do know the general direction." She held up her ametrine trinket, a pink pyramid of crystal which shone a beam of light in the city's direction. "As long as we follow this, we won't lose our way. The greater challenge is getting there." Another clap of thunder and boomed and lightning struck the ground around them, nearly causing her to spill her wine. "This place is bad for the heart. I don't think I could last much longer with these lightning strikes…" Taking her time to finish her drink, she put her cup away once she was done. "I think I see some cover in that direction…but if we can't make it in time I'll make one. Whenever you're ready to go, sir." Holding onto her handheld beacon tightly, she waited for the man's answer.

"Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin."