Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Harena Wastelands > Harena Desert > Sundown [O]
Nerine

Character Info
Name: Nerine
Alignment: TG
Race: Rosenite
Class: Herbalist/Scholar
Silver: 0
In the vast expanse of the shifting sands, a pale blue cloak fluttered beneath the shade of one of few rare oases that dotted the Harena desert. Rosenites like herself who had grown up in Arri rarely ventured outside into the wastelands without a good reason, as dangers known and unseen abound during the day and night. As a herbalist, some plants could only be found in specific environments and were difficult to cultivate, meaning one had to gather where they grew. Together with her daughter, Nerine had began working on recording the seasonal changes in growth of indigenous plants in the desert to track their condition. All plants held their uses and held a purpose in their local ecology. If certain plant populations were on a decline, that could be an indicator for changes among other species as well. 

Lately rumors in the area circulated that a notorious band of brigands had evaded capture following the attack on a handful of caravans passing across the quartz sands. While recording the local fauna was her priority, the scholar was keeping an eye out for suspicious activity. Carefully clipping a small sample of a scaly-stemmed sand plant, she sealed it inside a bottle with a moist piece of cloth. The sun was dipping lower towards the horizon, and soon nightfall would arrive. With it would come one of the more uncommon dangers in the Harena aside from the harsh climate–Luzil. She began to light torches to illuminate the area while sprinkling a handful of special incense gifted to her from Nisshoki. When burned, the mixture had warding properties against evil and unholy creatures, repelling them from an area for several hours. The scent of fragrant smoke drifted on the wind like a heady perfume.

"Love all, trust few, and do wrong to none."
B218

Character Info
Name: Vryx Obin
Alignment: CG
Race: Avian
Class: Rogue/Summoner multiclass
Silver: 117
Vryx walked around the desert, taking time to be sure nothing dangerous was around him. He was still learning about the area and didn't want to leave until he knew enough to understand where he was. He always took comfort in being able to see for miles around him, it made him feel like he knew more about where he was than he actually did. As the sun began to set, he found an oasis off to his side, and decided to move in that direction. It helped that there were a few people there who might be able to explain to him where he was.
Nerine

Character Info
The fragrant smoke would lead to a small campsite at the oasis. It was fairly small, at best enough to water a few horses. The underground spring seeped water into a small pool that was sheltered by hardy trees which also helped retain the soil's moisture. There were no other exotic plants nearby, another note that this place was safe. Nerine was getting ready to add another batch of incense to the fires when she saw someone approach. Hood pulled up, her eyes watched as an unfamiliar figure come into view. One hand was hidden, clenched around the incense satchel she had emptied in case she was facing a bandit or worse, someone affected by Luzil. Lone travelers out on the sands were few for a good reason; typically that was a sign of danger. Instead of greeting the newcomer, Nerine stood and waited to see how they would act. If they wanted supplies, taking what she owned wouldn't last them long without the knowledge of the lay of the land. She did not appear to be armed nor was there a beast of burden nearby. She had walked here slowly by travelling from one watering hole to the next until reaching here. 

B218

Character Info
He walked closer, not actively looking for a fight, but weary if the two other travelers were hostile to him. He stopped a couple feet away, giving them space so as to not look hostile.
"Hello? I do not mean harm, I'm just… simply trying to figure out where I am."
He said, cautious, constantly checking to make sure nothing dangerous was happening.
Nerine

Character Info
Nerine's eyes glanced at her daughter, Chrysanthe. "Where's Strelitzia?" She spoke to the young blonde woman in Arriese. Noting that her mother likely didn't intend to let the stranger hear, the girl with her hair tied back into a ponytail responded back in the same language. "She's making her rounds, I told her to return to land at the oasis before sundown." With the size of the kalangitan, it was fortunate they would be able to ward the entire oasis to keep it safe theough the night. Nerine then turned to speak to him in Adelunian common. "This is one of the few places you can find water in the Harena. Where are you headed?" In the distance one could hear the flapping of enormous wings as a new breeze changed the direction of the haze rising from the burnt incense. 

From the looks of him, he didn't look like he was from the nearby areas. He didn't look familiar with desert travel, otherwise he would have chosen to travel with a caravan or a group for safety. Traveling by foot, nonetheless. If it weren't for the help of her daughter's Bakulaw beast, they would have to make use of tamed nightmares to cross the sands lest they spend weeks for the journey. The sun was now lower, painting the skies with reds and golden hues as dusk approached. Soon the heat of the day would give way to the bitter cold that marked the nights in the desert. 

B218

Character Info
"Harena? I've never heard that name. I do not know where I am going… and don't know where I came from."
He said, slowly starting to relax as he became more comfortable around the strangers, yet still being weary of danger.

(Sorry for the short response. I just don't know how to write longer in this situation.)
Nerine

Character Info
Nerine motioned with a hand to the quartz sands around them. "This is the Harena. Not many are able to cross it without experience, so I find it surprising you've managed to come this far on your own." The beating of wings grew louder until a great shadow fell over the oasis as a large strange winged creature descended. Both mother and daughter looked up as the beast with leathery wings landed from above, occupying a large part of the fertile land surrounding the exposed underground spring. It had no feathers or fur, but a thick strong hide and upon its back was a harness of sorts. Due to the kalangitan's sheer size, what should've been a saddle was more akin to the framework of a small hut secured to the harness fastened onto its body.

The scholar turned to him, adding: "Unless you traveled by air or by magic, that is." Once the flying beast had landed, her daughter went to bring some water and food for it. It was a relief that Strelitzia had returned before sundown, and Nerine had one less worry to mind. "We're heading back to Arri, it's the closest place where you can find a city in this part of Canelux. You're welcome to join us, however I advise you to stay within the bounds of this oasis until morning. The desert is unforgiving to those who are unaware of its dangers, and the best one can hope for is a quick death."

B218

Character Info
"Well, I guess I should come along… It would beat being out here."
He shrugged, now getting more comfortable with being around these people.
Nerine

Character Info
"It may seem that I am repeating myself, but do not leave the perimeter of the torches once night falls. They are usually rare, but there are creatures which can kill a person easily once they latch onto them. By the time you see them, they'realready too close." She emphasized. As the sky darkened and the light of the two moons gradually illuminated the night as a quiet fell over the oasis. A chill began to set in from the arid air, with it somewhat offset by the torches set around the perimeter. The silence was heavy, with the occasional crackle of the fires. The burning incense gave a small sense of comfort out in the endless sands, and the kalangitan was already asleep. Before the stranger's arrival, Nerine had already discussed with taking the first watch of the night with her daughter so she stayed outside of the tent, ensuring the torches were lit. So far today had been uneventful, save for the stranger whose presence raised more questions than answers. Hours passed, and she had nearly nodded off when the sound of something burning followed by a hissing noise alerted her. The torches placed around the oasis with incense had finally fulfilled their purpose,  though she had hoped they would just be a precaution. 

It was hard to see past the light, but something had tried to approach their camp under the cover of darkness. A magical barrier created by the incense-burning torches was now repelling a strange ooze like thing, black and foul like sludge. It tried to cross the otherwise invisible boundary only to be seared by the incense's enchantment against beings unholy. Nerine quickly threw a glance around to see where Vryx was before standing up. It was only one, but luzil weren't something to leave alone. With a quick motion, a blast of light magic was sent at it and it was incinerated with a bright flash and high-pitch shriek. Refilling the incense, she counted the hours until sunrise and let out a sigh. "It seems we will need to leave straight away in the morning then. I'll need to report on this." 

B218

Character Info
Vryx stayed near the torches, trying not to be too close to the strangers. He was anxious, but without knowing what to look for he couldn't help with protecting the oasis.