Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Harena Wastelands > Harena Desert > Rivers in the Desert [O]
Kazahana

Character Info
Name: Sanaki Kasuga
Alignment: TG
Race: Oni
Class: War Priestess
Silver: 0
A place of power, she could see it. Traveling the world in search of the door-between-worlds, Gale had gone back and forth between places she had once visited. Three nights ago she was in Arri, where she had seen an image of a brightness in the distance. It was on the edge of the dream, beyond the fringe of the dream-sphere of Sularia. Like a pillar of fire in the wilderness, it beckoned to a place unknown. Speaking with Asha, the dream-walker chose to find it. She wanted to see for herself what this dream-vision that called her was in the waking world. The phoenix advised that she ask the people first on a general lay of the land, and the dream-walker found it was southwest. Unfortunately, distance and space was negligible in the realm of dreams so the only way to find it was to walk.

They would have to venture across the perilous Harena desert, all the way until they found the location. There were many dangers such as dehydration, losing one's way in the shifting sandy landscape, robbers lying in wait for lone wanderers, and creatures whose presence foretold certain death. Yet none of these would shake the dream-walker's resolve, determined as she was to find the call's source. She had her beloved companion to keep her safe. They had met in an excursion with a caravan to the desert kingdom, where the dream-walker had wandered astray from the train of camels and wagons. Below a dune she witness the rebirth of a brilliant bird composed of flame from a pile of smoldering ash. At first the phoenix was alarmed and used its flames to defend itself. However seeing the girl was not singed, it came to understand the human held no malice. 

'Tell me, bird blessed by the flame of the sun; what is your name?' 'I am Asha, a phoenix born from the spark of the heavens which fell to the earth. Child, what is your name?''I am Gale, a traveler of dreams.' 'Have you come alone, child of man? The desert is no place for people outside the oases.' 'I came with a caravan of beasts and carts. We are going to the great city which lies in the north, a green emerald set atop the golden sands.' 'A place where water flows and life springs; I would like to see such a place.''Would you like to come with me, Asha?' 'Yes, but only if you promise to keep me safe from those with impure hearts and those who wish to harm me for their own gain.' 'I give you my word, upon my life.' 'Then let us go, together…'

And so, the two became companions. They set out along the dunes, with Asha scouting ahead for oases using the knowledge she had possessed from her past rebirths. It was not an easy journey, as the winds were strong and the desert punishing. The oases were sanctuaries, protected against the fiends that lurked in the blazing sands. Once they came across a fire most strange–green in color without smoke or a source. The phoenix told her that was hellfire, a strange phenomenon which sometimes manifested into a flame that burnt hotter and more painfully than any other. Such fire was cursed, the essence of evil. Where many patches of hellfire were, evil beings called luzil were not far behind. While they camped beneath the palms watered by the life-giving springs, they heard the sounds of whinnying in the dead of the night. The cries of those horses sent chills down one's spine, unnatural and strange. Asha explained that those were the cries of nightmares–hellish creatures imbued with the essence of hellfire in the shape of horses. They could not approach places protected by sacred signs, as the oasis they were within was. 

Today marked the second day of their trek. The night before, Gale sought the direction of the place of power within the realm of dreams, and confirmed the way they should go. The winds were especially harsh today, and she had to wrap her sash around her face to keep the sand out of her eyes. It would be unlikely for her to meet another lone traveler like her out on these sands, but perhaps there was that offhand chance of a rare occurrence. Their next place to rest for the night was a peculiar oasis that Asha called, the Walking Spring. The name was given due to its unusual habit of only appearing in one place for a single day, vanishing the next before noon. Their goal was to find it before sundown, then rise and leave before the sun was high. 

"Be as swift as the wind, as silent as the forest, fierce like fire, and immovable like a mountain."
Izzey Ius

Character Info
Name: Izzey Ius
Alignment: CN
Race: Human
Class: ArchMage
Silver: 2173
"Behold, we have found it!" Exclaimed an enthusiastic and joyful voice, through the windy fury of the scorching desert.  "The time for our greatness has finally presented itself! Onward we go; To legend!" 

"What is it we have found?" Would inquire another voice, much more smaller in size than it's orange haired companion, and much more tinier; pocket size, in fact.The black horned and black winged creature had made an abode upon the woman's right shoulder, using her orange hair as it's covering from the harsh desert winds.

"Have you not eyes to see it? Do not tell me the sand had blinded you!" The woman exclaimed back in response, pointing to the large structure in front of here, standing a foot or so higher than her own self. The tiny succubus moved a hand through the woman's hair, in order to better observe this said object personally herself.

"The secret runes!" The mage exclaimed. "The stories of legends! We stand before our very prize! Victory is ours!'

"Human.." The succubus began, a much more solemn tone than her companion.

"To legend!" The woman again exclaimed through the roaring winds.

"Human…" The succubus continued.

"Onward we go!" The mage enthusiastically exclaimed once again..

"Human!" The third repetition, while much more demanding for attention, did not harbor any bitterness towards the woman. It simply demanded attention, knowing that a shout would be the only way she'd receive it. 

"What?!" The mage responded, somewhat annoyed.

"It's a sandstone…"

"Indeed it is. The sandstones of the great runes!"

"No human, it's simply a sandstone…"

There was a pause, and all that could be heard within the area now, were only the roaring winds of the desert, in response to the tiny succubus's solemn statement. The orange haired mage turned her head towards her right shoulder, in order to now gaze directly at her pocket-sized companion. "Are you sure?" She eventually inquired after a few moments of silence, a look of disbelief upon her face.

"I am sure.." the succubus grimly answered.

"Damnit!" The scream echoed through the desert, above it's furious winds, as the mage declared her vocalized fury.

Kazahana

Character Info
The storms were getting stronger, or so the dream-walker thought. Shielding her eyes with a fold of her sash, it served as a makeshift veil. In no time, the winds then died down and the phoenix with its human heard a scream. "What was that Asha?" Gale asked. The fire-bird was puzzled. "I know not, child of man. Perhaps another wayward wanderer like us. Take your steps with caution. The Harena is a fickle and temperamental mistress." With a nod, the fire-haired girl advanced towards the source of the shout. The winds were calmer now, which meant she no longer needed to shield her eyes. Following behind, Asha flitted through the air leaving vanishing embers in her wake.

They saw a person, by themselves–their clothing strange and unfamiliar to Gale. She could not tell from where this person had come from, judging by the clothing she had seen from places around the world. Nearby stood the stone rubble of perhaps a long-abandoned settlement which had decayed with the passing of time. Looking around there seemed to be no other reason for this person's distress, which was odd. "They seem troubled, maybe we can help." She wondered aloud. "Perhaps they have lost their way. The shifting sands make determining one's location a challenge." Asha replied in turn. Coming closer, she stood out in the open and called to the woman. "Greetings, traveler! Is there a way which I may assist you?" 

As she awaited the response, Gale noticed the woman's hair was like hers–bright like a warm flame. She had never seen anyone else with the same color of hair in her time under her teacher's tutelage, nor in her time walking this world. Without any memory of family outside of Master Rashaad and the other students, a question stirred in her thoughts. What if… Others might have brushed the idea aside without further thought, but to Gale everything that roused curiosity was worth exploring and examining. You would never know how far the truth went unless you followed it, like an unfurled ball of thread to the very end. Asha gently rested upon her shoulder, watching. 

"Be as swift as the wind, as silent as the forest, fierce like fire, and immovable like a mountain."
Izzey Ius

Character Info
 "Greetings, traveler! Is there a way which I may assist you?" A voice was suddenly heard from a short distance away. The mage turned her head, squinting her eyes a bit, in order to better examine the new figure, or rather, new 'figures' now within her vicinity. In the midst of her examination, a single raised eyebrow made itself apparent upon her face. For a time there was quite a silence, and no reply whatsoever from the mage, as she continued in her careful study of the two figures, seeming lost in her own thoughts during the process.

"When was the last time I drank water?" She eventually inquired aloud. 

"Two hours ago, human." The smaller voice lowly replied in return, already hidden back behind the long orange hair of her companion.

"Two hours? And yet I have already gone mad?" The mage began rambling aloud. "Behold, desert hallucinations haunt me! Visions of my childhood, from a time long past! How terribly skinny I was back then, too poor even to afford to eat a decent meal! Skin and bones I was! Woe was me back then, my flaming bird upon my shoulder!"

"You had a flaming bird upon your shoulder as a child?" The succubus lowly inquired back to the woman.

"I absolutely did not!" The mage quickly answered.

"Then it is not you." The succubus rationalized. "They are real, for I witness the same sight as you."

"Then you too have gone mad?!" The mage continued, "How could this have happened?! The desert sun, how terribly brutal it is, burning even to the very soul!"

As the succubus was hidden behind the mage's hair, it looked as though the mage was only rambling and talking to her own self, in the scorching heat of the desert. After her antics, she moved away from the sandstone object, and began to make a closer approach to the younger female. Upon closely approaching the front of the girl, the mage unexpectedly continued walking toward the right side of the girl, in order to circle around her and the flaming creature. She did this circling twice, while eyeing the girl from top to bottom with crossed arms, studying her features. Eventually, she'd come to complete halt, now positioned back in front of the girl. "Younger me," She began again " Why do you haunt me? What guilts of past have I committed, which remain deeply harbored within the very depths of my mind?" Though the question may have seemed completely ludicrous, the mage's tone and facial expression was quite serious as she asked her inquiry to the younger female.
Kazahana

Character Info
Gale and Asha turned to each other in confusion. "It seems delirium has already taken hold of this one." The phoenix mused. The dream-walker wasn't so sure. It was understandable why the woman mistook them so, seeing how similar they were in appearance. "It is not unlikely, as people have seen mirages of oases." She waited patiently and stood still as the woman circled them with suspicion. Gale expected the woman to eventually realize that there was nothing to be alarmed about.

When the woman addressed her as her 'younger self', Gale looked puzzled. "Haunting you? I believe you are terribly mistaken, efendi. I am not a spirit, nor am I you. I am Gale, and this is Asha." She gave a bow before motioning to the fire-bird. "What are you searching for, if I may ask?" Her magnanimity made her overlook that this woman was likely a bit touched in the head, and that such a person would not respond to reason. Asha was quite aware, seeing how this woman raved to herself or some imaginary companion. Perhaps dehydration had taken its toll and was affecting this person's senses. They were far away from any signs of the nearest oasis, so who knew how long the woman had gone without water? The desert heat itself was not nearly as bad as the stranger claimed, as both phoenix and dream-walker were accustomed to heat and flame.

"We must not tarry for too long, child. The sun moves while we stand still and we cannot stop until we find sanctuary." Asha reminded. The oases were the only safe havens in this endless, barren sea of sand dunes. "I remember…we were searching for a walking spring. Is that right, Asha?" Gale asked. "Yes, your memory serves you well. Though any oasis will suffice at this moment." Came the fire-bird's reply.

Izzey Ius

Character Info
In the midst of the girl's response, the mage made a puzzled blink at the sound of one foreign word in particular, which she could not quite associate the meaning of anything with. "Efendi.." She repeat back, attempting to associate the word with anything she was already familiar with in her mind, in an effort to create some sort definition for it, yet failing to do so terribly.

As the girl inquired what the orange haired mage had been in search for, a proud smile could be seen growing upon her face. "Do you not know, little one?" She began, her words filled with great pride. "Of course you do not." She took it upon herself to reassure, "Indeed, I had no such realization at that age, yet." With a pause, she let the words of her odd musings settle, before suddenly opening her arms wide, as if preparing to speak a grand presentation of some sort. "My unghostly friend, have you no knowledge of the stories, the legends!? The wondrous tales of the civilizations long passed. Lost; lost into ruin they were! All but forgotten!" Her tone and demeanor during this speech, was liken to a play presenter, preparing the heart of the crowd for some glorious theatre play before it took place. "Yet, not to, 'Izzey Ius, The Great', 'The Greatest Scholar of Them All', 'The Mightiest Practicer of the Magic Arts!' For nothing is hidden from her all perceiving eyes! Their mysterious she knows, their deep secrets she has understood, their prize she receives!" At the end of the statement, she learned in towards the younger girl, bringing her face uncomfortably close to hers, a wide eyed look of great enthusiasm upon her face, as she lowered her voice into a passionate whisper "For Izzey knows what lies underneath the stories of legends…" The gaze held for quite a few moments, as her eyes continued to glitter with excitement.

The flaming bird had mentioned something about sanctuary, and the girl mentioned something about walking springs. A curious eyebrow of intrigue rose at the statement. "I say young youth, can springs walk?" She eventually curiously inquired.
Kazahana

Character Info
From what Gale could gather from the woman's absurd and grand speech, she was searching for ancient relics and ruins of the past. This woman was certainly passionate about finding new things to learn, which was a good thing to the young dream-walker. She decided she liked this 'Izzey Ius' for her bright and uplifting spirit. Asha on the other hand saw her as a raving lunatic. Not the inherently dangerous type, but more of a delusional fool than a madwoman. "What an esteemed endeavor it is to seek the truth and discover new knowledge! Not many have the mind nor heart to search for that which lies beyond the present and material plane. I too am one who searches for new knowledge, but not in the same sense as you. My searches take place in a realm beyond dream and reality, born from the collective thoughts of the world."

The woman then asked them if springs could walk. Gale shook her head. "Not with legs, they do not. It moves of its own accord, but through magical means." Asha explained further. "What we search for is an elusive oasis with the strange trait of only remaining in a single location for a single day, then disappearing to another the next. This is why it has been called the Walking Spring. There have been no records of its pattern of appearance, and it has become a legend in its own right. Very few have seen it, or have been believed when they recount their tale."

"It is dangerous for us to be away from an oasis when night falls. The desert has many fiendish creatures which are only kept away by the desert springs' protection." Gale added. "Would you like to come with us? Even if we do not find the Walking Spring today, Asha knows where the other oases lie."

Izzey Ius

Character Info
As the younger female spoke her approval, Izzey's facial expression brightened with joy, "Yes!" She mumbled as the girl spoke her statements, loud enough to be recognized, yet not loud enough to interrupt her speech, "Yeeees, you understand!" 

"She speaks unnatural musings as you do, human.." The succubus whispered closely in Izzey's ear, still hidden behind her orange hair, rather surprised by the young girl's response.

"A realm beyond dream and reality.." Izzey repeated back dreamily, her eyes noticeably dilated with great intrigue and enthusiasm from the girl's statement. It was quite difficult to tell who exactly the child was, and who exactly the adult was in this situation, given the difference in their behavior.

The orange haired mage had officially been captivated and ensnared. Realms beyond dream and reality, disappearing and reappearing springs, an acknowledgement and approval of her endevours; it was all the perfect formula to win her heart. 

At the sound of an invite, to take part in a journey with the two distinct personalities, Izzey's face had already given away her answer long before it even left her lips. Like an enamored child, her eyes glittered with obvious intrigue and great enthusiasm. The emotions of her fiery soul lied bare, for there was no veiling or concealing of them..

"Vision of my youth, why do we continue to linger here idlely?" She exclaimed enthusiastically, "To legend we go!"

This immediate agreement and complete willingness to accompany the two, however, would be completely interrupted for reconsideration, by something Izzey had often neglected upon; rational logic. "And what of the ancient runes?" Contested the voice of her companion in her ear. "Shall we become immediate followers to strangers and their endevours, setting aside our immediate own, just like that?"

In a moment, Izzey's once enthusiastic and agreeable expression turned into one of grave seriousness and deep contemplation; or rather, whatever mental action the woman considered to be the method for deep contemplation. A hand went to her chin as she looked upward in great thought, and then completely turned her back towards the duo.

"Runes.." She mumbled lowly, "Realms beyond dream and reality.." She was mentally weighing out both of the options.

She stood in this manner for quite some time, remaining in a deep silent thought for about an entire minute, before eventually turning back to face the duo. "You can see me in water, but I never get wet. What am I?" She eventually spoke, after her long silence, her facial expression displaying that she was quite serious regarding her question. It was a riddle. She was testing the girl; her answer to the riddle would be Izzey's determining factor for her trust. Most would consider such a bizarre method to be the epitome of complete absurdity, seeing no correlation whatever between the answer to a riddle, and trust; yet Izzey's eyes saw a correlation. 
Kazahana

Character Info
For a moment it seemed this woman was all too eager to come along, and for that Gale was happy. However that joy changed to concern as the mage fretted, knitting her brows. What was the matter? The woman seemed to be having second thoughts, for reasons unknown to her. As she pondered, the mage muttered something about runes, then repeated the words Gale had said describing what laid beyond the immediate, material world. Ah, so it was indecision that plagued her. Or was it something else?

Serious now, 'Izzey Ius'–as she called herself, presented them with a riddle. "You can see me in water, but I never get wet. What am I?" Gale was not expecting to be given a question, but was not bothered. She liked riddles, even though she was not particularly skilled in answering them. It was like a game she and the other children would play with Master Rashaad in between lessons. Folding her hands together, she smiled as she gave her reply. "A reflection. It can be seen in water, but can never get wet." She felt confident with her answer, as this was much simpler than the ones she had heard from the elders. Usually she couldn't even find an answer to give to those riddles. 

Gale interpreted Izzey's riddle as a test, a trial of sorts. What she intended to determine from it, no one knew. Not too concerned as to how the mage would take her answer, she simply did her best and awaited for the response. Asha thought it was just another of the woman's eccentric antics, and preened her glowing plumage.

Izzey Ius

Character Info
As the girl provided her answer, Izzey's serious expression could slowly be seen changing into a pleased smile. "Wisdom she holds.." Izzey spoke, a rather surprised tone, and satisfied with the young girl's answer. "Indeed it is, young one! A reflection; what can be seen in water, yet never made wet!"

"Congratulations, young human," Would acknowledge the second tiny voice that had been hiding upon the mage's shoulder, finally opting to reveal itself to the two strangers, as she moved the mage's orange hair aside, in order to show herself. "One must not only be aware of their imperfections, but also make efforts to remove them. You've succeeded in winning the conjurerer's trust."

"An educated mind is useless without wisdom; A shell without a clam, an oyster without a peal!" The mage further added, rather impassionately. Placing a hand on the girl's shoulder, she continued. "Yet you have a pearl, young one. Therefore, we accompany you. How fortunate you are, to have the Mightiest Practicer of the Magic Arts by your side. They shall write stories and sing songs of you; of the lucky youth, fortunate enough to have been was accompanied by the greatest of legends in all of history. Yes, you will make a good book and a great bard's song."

The mage had originally entered the desert in pursuit of a search of her own, however, whether she continued in the pursuit of her own endevour, or accompanied the young girl in hers, for Izzey the outcome was all the same; Both paths were simply an alternative means to an end. The orange haired mage desired wisdom, knowledge, and power of magics long lost. She obviously hadn't an exact idea what the full purpose of the girl's journey was all about, neither what exactly it would lead to, yet whatever or wherever this realm was, or wherever it would lead, the mage's eyes saw great opportunity for all those possible discoveries through this girl's journey. It was an opportunity for learning and power far too beneficial and rare to overlook.
The succubus upon her shoulder, was also aware of the mage's magical obsession, and was fully supportive the mage's endevours, despite the fact that almost everyone else they'd encountered highly disapproved of them. An entity of an completely different realm, the pocket sized succubus was perhaps was one of the few minds who had a capability of actually understanding the woman's bizarre thinking pattern. She was also perhaps one of the few minds who actually saw a logical rationale of some sort in the mage's outrageously dangerous and grandiose endevours. Like Izzey, the succubus held ancient wisdom and forgotten magics in high regard, and understood their value. Additionally, she actually had knowledge and confirmation concerning the existence of such wisdom and magics, unlike the majority of humans within this realm, who deemed such existences as nothing more fables and old wives tales.