Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Harena Wastelands > Endapano > Chasing a Wayward Moon [O]
Caranthir

Character Info
Name: Auron
Alignment: CN
Race: Flame Malak
Class: Illusionist
Silver: 0
Work was good when it involved what you did best. That was how Auron saw it, and wouldn't have it any other way. He was here for many reasons. The first was for the obvious–looking around the markets and seeing how things were following that Warped Spire fiasco. The second was a bit more enjoyable: searching for any suitable materials to help him clear off his debt quicker. The last reason why he was in what was left of the elven kingdom was rather grave. He was here to search out whatever he could find about rumors involving the disappearance of a few caravans. The devastation of the gods of Darkness and Death had reduced this place to a contentious collection of militant groups. He'd normally wave it off as being caused by the elves, but that stubborn woman dug in her heels and disagreed. 

So he was here, finally able to get some fresh air and some sun after spending who knows how long cooped up in that gloomy fortress of isolation. Docking at the city, he stepped off to see how things had changed. The place felt much emptier than before, and a somberness hung in the air. It wasn't overtly obvious, but the effects of the affliction of sin had left its mark. Travelers to these parts had declined naturally, and he had heard that the area surrounding it was filled with highwaymen of those who had been exiled. Still, he didn't see how he could learn anything about this 'crimson crescent moon'. Before shoving him off into a portal, she had failed to give him additional details. She also had been rather shifty about the entire thing. This better not be one of her attempts to scare him again. Browsing the stalls, he took care to keep his disguise intact. Appearing as a foreign elf would alleviate some of the xenophobic stigma, and he knew how to play the part. He picked up a few moonstones and pearls to bring back, as well as a few choice fragments of amber. They would make a fetching lily pendant, reminding him of a woman of the same name. Ah, if only he had been sent to Sularia…

'First comes the blessing of all that you've dreamed–but then comes the curses of diamonds and rings…'
Firesong

Character Info
Name: Drake Alzrahi
Alignment: CG
Race: Celestial Dragonstar
Class: Dragon Knight
Silver: 787
Wait…where?

If there was one thing Drake had learned in the past few weeks, it's that whatever he did involving magic ended in disaster.  It was as if the Gods themselves had cursed his mana, and forced onto him a lack of control that would ensure that all of his endeavors would fail.  As was such at his latest attempt to do a simple healing spell.  One second, he was in front of a modestly talented mage, the next he was falling through the sky.  Flash forward, and he found himself wandering the streets of Endapano.

Would it be weird to ask where I am?  He glanced around, noting that he was definitely the odd one out in this situation.  While it hadn't been difficult to enter the city, he was worried that he would stand out like a sore thumb, which is attention he didn't want, nor need.  Great.  Just great.  I haven't the slightest idea how I got here, where I am, and what I'm going to do.  …I really did take Magnus for grant it, didn't I?  

He pulled his cloak tighter around him, feeling the stares of the locals.  His silver eyes scanned the stalls, idly gazing at the wares.  He was too nervous to really notice if anything was of worth.  His focus was slowly dwindling into a near panic.  Stop…breathe…you can figure this out.  Just take it slow.  Find a tavern, or something…maybe see if I can't find a quick mercenary for hire job, and then find your way from there.

Drake closed his eyes for just a brief moment.  Focus.  He took a deep breath, and started to actually look.  Maybe this is just another string of fate, pushing me along.  His eyes glanced over a small, blue stone with gold and silver weaved into a necklace.  He smiled.  I won't fall for that ruse again.  

"First, I have to figure out where I am…"  Drake said aloud, to no one in particular.  

Caranthir

Character Info
"Are these larimar stones from Sularia?" A voice sweet as honey and smooth as silk spoke. An elf woman with long dark brown tresses blushed as she stood before the stall. "Yes, they were brought in a month ago. With trade slowing due to the fractures between our brethren, we've been doing our best to defend from outside and within our borders." Auron smiled, and looked over the bright blue stones. They would be useful for something, maybe for a different piece once he was done with what he already had halfway finished. "That's terrible, I do hope things improve soon. The gods have dealt quite harshly with Canelux. Perhaps if we prove ourselves worthy, they might reconsider and overturn their judgment. I'd like these three, would seventy silver be too little?" Money and goods changed hands, and he had a little less coin to bargain with. Right before things wrapped up, he was quick to ask the girl. "Oh if you don't mind me asking, miss. Do you know anything about a crimson moon?" The woman shook her head, and judging by her reaction's timing she wasn't pretending. "No, I'm sorry sir. Is it a specific type of wine?" So she really didn't know. What a pity.

Wandering away through the rest of the markets, he sighed. "I'm getting absolutely nowhere at this rate. Why couldn't she have given me something more…substantial to go on? What am I even looking for, I wonder?" He was quick to change his frown back to his usual mildly interested expression. Couldn't draw suspicion on himself now. A voice in the thinning crowd wondered aloud on where they were, which drew his interest. It was an old habit of his to keep an ear out for those who were unfamiliar with their surroundings. They often were the most impressionable, and easy to chat up. Directing his path so he would pass by the stranger naturally, he looked with concern and asked, "Do you need help with something?" He was in his element again, and it was a wonderful feeling. First things first–he had to learn a little more about this new face before he made a move.

'First comes the blessing of all that you've dreamed–but then comes the curses of diamonds and rings…'
Firesong

Character Info
It was as if fate itself had guided yet another in Drake's path, though his one may not be as benevolent as the last.  But Drake wouldn't have been able to tell the difference.  It was, of course, his instinct that told him to be wary of the individual who appeared before him in his time of need, but it was quickly overruled by the kind heart the young man possessed. 

With the trust of a fool, Drake nodded, "I guess you could say that.  I've…"  He glanced around.  It was weird having to admit to a fault, but he wasn't completely against it.  "I've seem to become quite lost.  I can't entirely explain the circumstances, and I know this may be an odd thing to ask, but…you wouldn't…happen to know where we are, would you?"  The figure across from him was calming, but in a different way than Magnus was.  The old Sea Spirit had talked Drake up in a conversation, setting himself to be a guiding figure.  With Magnus, Drake knew he was definitely safe.  And indeed, the Sea Spirit had helped him numerous times afterwards.

Maybe that was all this was.  Another lucky dance with fate had brought him here.  Maybe this was just another guide in his road to find the dark angel that haunted him.  Though, according to Magnus, I probably shouldn't go blabbing about that.  Especially since she's supposedly unique enough to identify.  

"My name is Drake, by the way.  Thank you for taking the time…" 

Caranthir

Character Info
Auron was taken aback by the obvious answer, looking a bit shocked for a moment. "You…don't know where you are? How did you…ah never mind. You're in Endapano, the great elven kingdom of the north. Or, what's left of it anyhow. It's seen better days." Giving a cordial smile, he held his hand out to the man for a handshake. "Pleasure to meet you Drake, you can call me Caranthir." It was dangerous to break character. "So Drake, is this your first time visiting? Hopefully you had a safe journey here from…which way did you say you came from?" He was feigning being scatterbrained, it helped throw off the initial suspicion most would have towards strangers. Showing oneself as being less capable than expected was as disarming as a smile. It was a nonverbal show to the other that you weren't dangerous.

"Coming in by land has become more treacherous as of late. You'd be quite lucky to not have run in with the bandits out there. Well we can't really call them bandits anymore. More like armed highwaymen, with organized numbers." The brutes. They were chasing away his business, and making one of his favorite haunts for marks run dry. It wasn't easy finding a reliable place to pick up on the flow of silver. It was always the brash and brainless that made things hard for gentlemen like him. If you took a little bit here and there, there would still be plenty to go around. But drain the spring dry, and nobody would get anything after that. But he couldn't expect uncouth louts like them to understand the finer points of economics. Crossing his arms he frowned, then ruffled a hand through the long blond locks he wore in his illusory appearance. 

"What a bother…shouldn't there be an easier way to find that thing?" He muttered under his breath. She might as well tell him to find a needle in a hay bale. Even worse, he didn't know what the 'needle' looked like.

Firesong

Character Info
Endapano.  Never heard of it.  Not good.  Drake inwardly cursed at his miserable luck, but at least it was a start.  The fact that it was an Elven Kingdom made the stares he'd been getting make sense.  I'll definitely have to be more careful.  This reckless mana I have could have put me in the middle of the Nyella…  

He turned his focus to Caranthir, and smiled.  "It's appreciated.  Again, I understand that it's an odd question, but believe me you've helped a great deal.  Yes, this is my first time visiting."  Drake sighed internally.  He's probably being kind.  I really do stick out…  "As for where I came from…well…"  Drake pointed up.  I must seem like I'm insane.  "I kind of….fell from the sky.  There was a…slight magical hiccup when I tried to learn how to heal wounds….I was in Abed, and next thing I know…I'm just falling."  I'm such a failure…

However, the information about the recent influx of bandits caused Drake to perk up.  That sounds like an opportunity.  Outsider or no, they'll need capable hands.  I could get some decent work here and find my way back to Abed in no time.  It was like a weight off of his shoulders.  At least he had a plan of action.  It was, at this point, Drake noticed that Caranthir had said something under his breath.  Oh? 

"I'm sorry, did you say you were looking for something?  I don't know much, but maybe I can help.  Keep an eye or an ear out.  To at least repay you for your kindness," Drake said.  "It's the least I can do.  What are you looking for?"  Perhaps if he could help, the elf would return it in kind if he ran across information about the dark angel.  If she even exists…  

Caranthir

Character Info
When Drake described where he had come–er, fallen from, Auron looked up with a thoughtful expression. "I see…" So he likely was sent through some portal ripped open by whatever accident he got himself into. That was highly unusual. It would seem whatever magic this man had, it was very volatile. He reminded himself to steer clear of Drake as soon as he saw him trying to cast a spell. He turned to his new acquaintance with surprise. "Oh, well…yes. It's a bit difficult of me to request for your help though, as I'm not quite clear on most of the details myself." But this was a blessing in disguise, if he ever saw one. Having someone else to assist in his search would reduce the attention drawn to himself, and potentially increase his chance of success. Normally he'd be jumping at the opportunity, but if only the details weren't so vague.

Clearing his throat, he moved off to the side so they wouldn't be standing in the road. "An acquaintance of mine asked me to help find something for them. They didn't say much and I unfortunately didn't have time to ask, but they told me to look for a 'crimson crescent moon'. They weren't very particular in their wording, so anything about it should suffice. The problem is, I have no idea what that is supposed to mean. Is it an item, a place, or a hint that makes itself clear at the right time of day? I've run myself ragged trying to figure it out." He didn't expect Drake to continue his interest after hearing that. In nicer words, it was downright impossible. Nobody would be able to get anywhere with that little to go on, or they'd spend ages asking–grasping about in the dark for a single straw that they couldn't see. 

Firesong

Character Info
It would seem the elf understood what happened to Drake, which was a load off of the young man's mind.  At least he's understanding.  And here I though I might be judged for having issues with magic.  His good mood faded, though, when Caranthir replied on how it'd be difficult for Drake to help.  Still, Drake felt the need to at least try and help.  "Well, it can't hurt to try, right?" 

He followed the elf to the side of the road.  Drake crossed his arms as Caranthir described what he was looking for; a crimson crescent moon.  Drake frowned.  I've heard of a crimson moon before, but never a crescent.  And no details, either.  Is it a precious stone, or perhaps something else?  "Well, I can't say I know anything about it, but…at worst, I'm stuck here for awhile.  I can at least look around."

"Also, I have a request, though," Drake asked, glancing away briefly.  "I've been…searching for a person.  A raven haired, dark angel.  You wouldn't happen to have met someone like that, would you?"  He doubted it.  After all, the woman only showed herself to him in his dreams…and if Magnus was right, she might not even be from this world.  Ah…I'm dwelling again.  Focus on the task at hand.  

"Sorry.  Don't worry about it.  Let's see what we can find out about this crimson crescent moon then, shall we?" Drake said with a grin.  

Caranthir

Character Info
Despite the bleak circumstances, he had to commend the optimism this man had. He still wanted to help, even though he had no idea what it was. Auron almost felt bad for thinking about lifting a few coins off him earlier. Besides, he wasn't in the mood anymore. "Your help is much appreciated, Drake. Even if we come up empty, I wouldn't blame either of us." That blame should fall squarely on his terrible informant. Divine or not, you had to at least give him something to work with to make things happen. Illusionists didn't pull things out of thin air–magic and a target were at least required. The man himself also had a request, which was just as obtuse as his own. "An angel? I'm assuming she has dark hair and wings from what you're telling me. Unfortunately, unless you know more details about here I can't say I know where to look. I haven't come across any angels as far as I remember. Though with those defining characteristics, if we should happen to cross paths with her we'd recognize her at a moment's notice." At least Drake's inquiry had more hope going for it than his.

While the were talking, he heard the clattering of wheels. Turning to look, he saw a large coach pass by in the thoroughfare. From the dirt and mud on the wheels, it must have come from outside of the city. It was rather elegant, but not gaudy. Something about this carriage gave him an odd feeling. "There's something wrong about that horse-drawn carriage. How did they manage to get past the armed militant groups outside the city?" There weren't any guards traveling with it. Logically, if someone chose to take the risk of coming in by land, they would hire as many mercenaries as they could. They would also travel with a train of wagons, not by themselves. Auron watched carefully as it went around a corner. "…How about we see where that carriage is heading?" He was curious as to what kind of person was riding in it.

Firesong

Character Info
It was a long shot anyway.  Drake wasn't even disappointed.  The dreams, at least for now, had already stopped.  Still..

While Drake was musing about his own thoughts, Caranthir noted the wagon passing them.  Drake pushed aside his own thoughts, and listened to the observations of the elf.  Despite having just met, Drake had a feeling that this elf was far more experienced than he initially let on.  He took a lot of Drake's answers in stride, and made excellent observations about his surroundings.  

An opportunity to watch and learn.  Drake noted the carriage as Carnithir made his observations.  Everything he said made sense.  In fact, now that it was brought to his attention, it stuck out almost as much as he did initially.  "You're really good at this…" Drake said as an offhand comment as they started to tail the carriage.  Still, he's right.  Something about it is definitely off.  

"Lead the way, then," Drake said.  "And don't worry…push comes to shove, I can handle myself in a fight…"  Just don't try to heal anyone…don't want to end up lost yet again.