Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Harena Wastelands > Endapano > Make Negotiations, not War [P, Open to anyone]
Silanus

Character Info
Name: Tacitus Silanus
Alignment: LE
Race: Human
Class: Swordman/ Battlemage
Silver: 553
The Fratis… This ambitious clan seeks for something greater than most clans do; Ultimate conquest… Sadly, the damn Empire of Adeluna would never let this happen, so if Canelux is to be conquered, Adeluna must fall. However, the Fratis and their allies are not strong enough to declare war against them, so for now, a conflict has to be avoided.

Tacitus Silanus, this man with a supreme ambition, leader of the powerful Fratis clan, was visiting Endapano, with 20 soldiers. 5 slingers, 5 archers, 5 spearmen and 5 pikemen, but they are not there to battle, oh no, they are there to negotiate with the noble elves…

The Steppes, land of orcs, is also home of the Fratis, who signed a treaty with the strongest orchish clans. The Fratis can stay and build their city there, if they protect them. A fair alliance, indeed. The Steppes are pretty close with the island of Endapano, so the orc allies gave them two small ships so they can sail there… The maritime trip was not long, it lasted only a few hours, however… Once the Fratis were in land, going to the elvish city would be a challenge… It was night, and crossing the forest in darkness would not be easy, but finding the city was imperative for Silanus and his troopers.

It was no secret for anyone… the troop was lost on the large forest… They could not find the city or their ships… "Keep your eyes open, men. We MUST find something, a sign for example, or a road. Damn we had to bring a map… Search for anyone, a local or a traveler familiar with this land… We must find someone to guide us!"

"Some men by ancestry are only the shadow of a mighty name."

-Marcus Annaeus Lucanus.

Lazarus

Character Info
Name: Lazarus Black
Alignment: TG
Class: Sable Cleric
Silver: 315
When one thought of elves, it was not reflexively assumed they were a race that lusted for power, wealth, or longevity. Most had plenty to go around. Pride, however, was the downfall of many a nobleman or woman, and elves were no exception. Pride, it is said, was the root of all other sins, for it takes some measure of it to commit the others.

Lazarus was not fond of traveling to Endapano. Prejudices of the general populace aside, his skills as an alchemist were widely discussed among the nobility. Normally, word of mouth was a good thing, so as to make a living, and to help as many people as possible. In this case, however, he preferred to keep to himself when present in the territory, as he did most other locales. Distrust of his being a human outsider coupled with and intensified conclusions of his esoteric trade. He had been harassed more than once to reveal the secrets of the Philosopher's Stone, for surely he must know them.

It was darkly humorous to Lazarus, how people of any walk of life would readily flock to a metaphorical magic wand, but would never think to look in a mirror to obtain their deepest desires. Alchemy was a practice shrouded in mystery to most - even to the majority of its practitioners. It was laden with symbolism and conjecture. Even so, it came as a surprise to Lazarus that not many had divined its truest essence. The Philosopher's Stone was not a literal object. No, and the transmutation of lead into gold was not literal either. At its core, the science pertained to the refinement of the soul.

Letters often came to Lazarus by courier. He was sometimes difficult to track down, but he received each correspondence eventually, and made good on every last one, even if it turned out that he could not be of help. He had received one such letter a fortnight ago that anonymously described a porter with an unidentifiable illness. Despite the anonymity, Lazarus was asked for by name. It made him more than a little skeptical, but he nonetheless intended to at least investigate.

The woodlands leading up to the city were vast, but Lazarus had grown accustomed to the subtle cues, the paths carved out by trade and by the rangers of the guard. He considered setting up camp, for night had come, and there was some distance yet to go by foot. It was when he had began wandering off the path to scavenge dead wood that he heard voices. Normally, he would keep his distance, but curiosity got the best of him.

Soldiers.

But not any sort he had witnessed before.

His travels made him familiar with many banners and colors of regiments throughout the continents. He was certain he had never seen armor like that before. He observed from the treeline momentarily before making his presence known.

"Hail," Lazarus intoned, narrowly avoiding contact with the whirling spear of the startled man standing closest to him. He was often told that his voice boomed, but his footsteps were like that of a fox. He made a mental note to work on that.
The Mystic addressed the one he had heard speak, who seemed to lead the small band of warriors.
"I overheard you are in need of a guide. I know my way to the city…I am headed there myself. What is it that you are doing here?"

He paused. "I am Lazarus," he quickly added, extending his hand.
Brusque introductions. He certainly must work on that as well.

He gave only his name for now. He was dressed like a cleric, which often served him well with assumptions when in mixed company.

Silanus

Character Info
Just what the troops needed, a traveler! He seemed to be part of a cult or perhaps he was a cleric? He was not an elf, so he was either a traveler, a pilgrim, a visitor or simply a man who lived among elves. It didn't matter, as long as he would cooperate…

It was unknown how the stranger knew that Silanus was the leader, well, possibly it was because he was one of the few soldiers who had a plumed helmet and a long, elegant red cape. Silanus looked at the man and said: "Listening to other people's conversations may give you trouble some day, however, this is not the case…" Silanus walked closer to the traveler and continued talking: "Silanus and his noble soldiers MUST reach the kingdom quickly. We need to… talk with them. If you, ehm… Lazarus guide us to their castle, the Fratis will offer you a fair amount of silver…"

Silanus licked his own lips and looked back, one of his personal bodyguards approached and spoke with Silanus: "Sir, after we are done speaking with the nobles of Endapano, it is imperative that we find our transport ships. Thugs or bandits could steal them!"

-Marcus Annaeus Lucanus.

Lazarus

Character Info
Name: Lazarus Black
Alignment: TG
Class: Sable Cleric
Silver: 315
Lazarus' lips parted to speak, an eyebrow quirked quizzically, but he paused. He was about to ask if there were someone else in charge that was not present, or if the man before him had really spoken in the third person. He was interrupted by one of the guardsman with this…Silanus?
He winced at the thought of having to deal with any of the noble houses here. Perhaps he didn't have to, though. These men only needed a guide to reach the city, nothing more.

Something about the anxious temperament of these men made Lazarus feel cautious. He felt the need to choose his words carefully.
"I can guide you to the city. I have no need of silver, for I am already on my way there to accept work. My presence in your company may harm or help your cause with the nobility. It is hard to say which. Let us just conclude that we are…familiar with each other."
The Alchemist paced about, finding where the canopy of trees was most sparse, so as to see the position of the moon and stars.
"The hour is late. I was going to make camp myself, but the city is really only a few hours' walk from where we stand. If you are in a hurry, I can keep pace. I would not worry about bandits, however. The Elves have a tight grip on these lands. Eyes and ears everywhere. There should be no complications, so long as your intentions are not hostile."

Lazarus stepped ahead of them, beckoning for Silanus, or really any of the men to follow. "I know it is dark, but do you see there, a few paces ahead, where the grass grows at an odd angle from being flattened repeatedly? Also, take note of the trees missing the tapinella growing from their bark. It grows in abundance here. There are many competing apothecaries in Endapano. They are also known to never stray from the most efficient path to the city, because that particular fungus tends to grow in areas of high activity. Trade routes and the like."

Leaning down, Lazarus removed his sandals. "At a light run, we should reach the city before sunrise."

Silanus

Character Info
Silanus and his bodyguard Junius looked at each other. This man acted a little strange; he talked too quickly and even refused easy gold! But refusing Lazarus' kind offer to guide the unit was foolish, so they decided to travel behind him.

Silanus turned back and talked to his troopers: "Alright, stop resting you lazy pigs! We have found a man named Lazarus, who offered to guide us… For free! So, tonight our fate is in a stranger's palm, pray to the kelonians that the elves act kindly" The soldiers clapped and raised their weapons, ready to march.

Silanus gazed at Lazarus and said: "So, Lazar, we'll follow the road. We WON'T run. Many of us carry heavy burdens or armor, so we will just march. Please, march with us." The caravan of soldiers marched behind Lazarus, Silanus and Junius. After a while, they began to feel… Observed…

Silanus looked around. The large trees had some kind of bridges connecting them, as if someone used them to walk in. Soon, a spearman named Quintus walked towards Silanus and spoke to him: "Sir, some elves are watching us. You see those bridges connecting the trees? Two or more elves are walking there, observing our movements…" Silanus glared at Quintus and thanked him: "Your information is appreciated, soldier. Please inform Silanus if you see somethibg else." 

Tacitus Silanus looked at Lazarus and said: "My name is Tacitus Silanus, commander of the Fratis clan. Who exactly are you, Lazarus? What's your story?" Silanus was about to add more words, when suddenly, a cry was heard. A man screaming in pain…

It was not a very pleasant surprise; the soldiers were attacked by nothing more and nothing else than 2… 2 cyclops! The huge creatures crushed a soldier's head, and the other one broke his spine by twisting him. A spearman was lucky enough to thrust his weapon at one cyclop, but it just removed the spear and with an arm hit, threw the man at the ground, then  stamp his body, crushing him. 

The second cyclop violently hit an orchish soldier in the head, sending him flying away. Cyclops were really big, strong monsters… Silanus yelled at his troops: "Pikemen, walk some meters away and then form pike wall formation! Skirmishers, scatter around and shoot! Spear men, surround the cyclop. The rest of us will form a shield wall and attack. Get moving!" All the soldiers followed the instructions…

A cyclop caught an archer and broke his rear; however, the other skirmishers, such as archers and slingers, hid around the trees and shot. Silanus glared at an elvish guard who was watching them. He did not even attemp to help!

-Marcus Annaeus Lucanus.