Out-Of-Character Forums > O.O.C. Pub > Debaters' Corner > Martin Shkreli and the Reserve List MTG
Angela Rose
Deity
Administrator

Character Info
Name: Angela Rose-Volkov
Alignment: CG
Race: Rosenite
Class: Goddess/Herbalist/Advisor
Silver: 17895
So I'm sure by now everyone knows who Martin Shkreli is. He raised an immune medication that AIDs patients use over 3000%. Now he is in trouble with the IRS and is looking to put his money into invisible stock…

so… He found the reserve list for MTG.

For those that don't know the reserve list is a special list that Wizards of the Coast has that can never be reprinted for collectors so the price doesn't job.

We're talking cards in the thousands. A High grade Black Lotus is worth over $8000. HOWEVER, Shkreli is now buying up all the reserve list. Last we checked he had 5 Black Lotus and 3 Moxes.

What are Moxes? Those who play know the power nine but I'll explain for everyone.
In Magic: The Gathering, Power Nine is a set of nine cards that were only printed early in the game's history, consisting of Black Lotus, Ancestral Recall, Time Walk, Mox Pearl, Mox Sapphire, Mox Jet, Mox Ruby, Mox Emerald, and Timetwister.

These are just a few of the cards on the reverse list. They are broken masterpieces. I've only ever seen 1 in person.

Mox Pearl - $1040 a piece
Mox Sapphire - $1560 a piece
Mox Jet - $1330
Mox Ruby- $1108
Mox Emerald - $1040

The prices have already begun to spike up since Shkreli announced what he was planning to do. What does this mean?

It means those that have bought things from the reserved list might be boned. These cards are High Risk High Reward. Why? Because Wizards isn't legally bound to keep the reserve list. They are doing it out of the kindness of their heart because they were scared by the lack of magic players early one. Technically tomorrow they could throw out the list and reprint all of them DRIVING down the price.

Why is that bad?

Collectors for one will be losing huge investments.

If the Reserved List doesn't get thrown out:
Cons:
Shkreli and whoever else he has in on this will buy up the remaining pool of Reserve List and slowly release it over a 10 year period. The Reserve List min. could shoot up to over $1000 per card. This means that Vintage and Legacy play will cease to exist unless you have money to play which most won't.

So thoughts on it? Does anyone have anything from the Reserved List and what are your plans? 

If he shoots up the price of the Black Lotus like he did the Immune Medication at 3000% a single Black Lotus could cost 240,000 a piece. If I did my math right.

OOC: Brittlez the lovable Head Admin and Server Mom
IC: Angela is The Weaver of Life and Love.
Angela's 3 God Rules
1. Angela can create a garden of protection and healing around her on command.
2. Angela has supreme control over her domains and can trump the efforts of all others.
3. Angela can bestow her blessing upon the earth, accelerating the growth and vitality of all life present.
Angela Rose
Deity
Administrator

Character Info
Name: Angela Rose-Volkov
Alignment: CG
Race: Rosenite
Class: Goddess/Herbalist/Advisor
Silver: 17895
So I just looked up the current price of the Black Lotus and it's shot up considerably since the last time I seen it.

Median price right now NO grade: 15,000 a piece.

At a 3000% increase (If he goes that far which from what we've seen he might) a lotus could cost 450,000. Enough surely to get the Reserve List gone.

OOC: Brittlez the lovable Head Admin and Server Mom
IC: Angela is The Weaver of Life and Love.
Angela's 3 God Rules
1. Angela can create a garden of protection and healing around her on command.
2. Angela has supreme control over her domains and can trump the efforts of all others.
3. Angela can bestow her blessing upon the earth, accelerating the growth and vitality of all life present.