Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Duchy of Egjora > Egjora City > The Fusee [Timedeath Mini-Quest, P]
Chae

Character Info
Name: Chae
Alignment: CN
Race: Halfling Lich
Class: Scientist
Silver: 88
((OOC: This thread is for Naota and Sylvi. The posting order will be established by the first round of posts, but as thread master I reserve the right to interject at any time. There is no time limit on posts, but please keep in mind that the Timedeath event ends on December 31.))

The hour was early, just a few before sundown, and already the Beryl Moon guesthouse clamored with the noise of its many patrons. The air smelled more of soap than of ale, clear of the smoky haze which might have otherwise risen from the numerous hearths along the walls. There was a small round table at the corner of great room, just beside the colored windows near the front door. This was where the party would meet to organize themselves and develop their plan. Sticky rings circled the chafed but tidied patina of the table’s surface, fond memories left by absent cups in the busy din. For the most part they were left to their own devices, though the crest over the door would remind them constantly of the consequences of criminal behavior.

Any evidence of their mission was only in their heads, placed there by divine inspiration or by their own personal investigations. The woman’s name was Natalia Faye, wife of Emerson Faye, Chief of Pensions at the Eishenbank. She was comfortable in her wealth, but notoriously bored—as of late, lavish parties had been replaced with growing superstitions and a not-so-secret interest in all things strange and foreign. She had two children, so far: at ages 5 and 3, they rarely left the nanny’s side. There was no way to know which room was hers, which window was the door to the pretty artefact which had become the team’s one and only mission. But the house was easy enough to spot, marked by the fairy-fire crest emblazoned on the front door of their city home and framed by a pair of watchful guards. The house itself was on the same block as the guesthouse, and only two cross-streets from the district’s guardhouse on the far corner. 

Perhaps these facts, combined with the Beryl Moon’s reputation, would encourage the two to quiet themselves at the approach of a server. She had a rag, which she used to wipe away the remaining residue on their table, though not without apologizing repeatedly for the mess. Eventually she would get around to taking their orders, removing herself quickly from her embarrassment. The team would have to be very careful if they wanted to retrieve the fusee from Natalia Faye’s bedroom, without invoking the severity of Egjoran law.

Excuses

God Powers:
i. Perceives every word that has been written.
ii. Evokes intense moments of inspiration, especially in regard to magic and invention.
iii. Able to reverse the effects of psionic and illusion magic.
maffleet

Character Info
Name: Jake Arellano
Alignment: CG
Race: Human
Class: Bard
Silver: 1156
((OOC: Chae has allowed me to take part in this quest))

Jake had spent the better part of an hour in heated on and off discussion with the innkeeper behind the bar, trying to convince the man that his skills were worth giving him free food and board for at least one night. Meanwhile the innkeeper was skeptical of this foreign bard, what if he caused a problem and it came back to bite him. Which Jake understood what with the strict laws Egjora, but Jake considered himself a worldly fellow, as he had been taught the first thing a performer must do when entering a new land, is to learn local customs and laws. Many a bards life has been cut short by lack of such knowledge, Jake did however manage to get this man to understand that he had no interest in causing a ruckus in his inn. Then came the discussing of how much Jake's skills were worth, with the man mentioning that he gets plenty of business without some guy playing his instrument. Jake responded that people drink more when there's music, this argument eventually led to a compromise Jake would get a room, but have to pay for food himself.

With all that out of the way Jake retrieved a chair pulled it over next to one of the more centralized hearths in the room, then he pulled out his lute made sure it was in tune and began playing. The lute was probably the most expensive thing Jake owned with a thin lining of silver going along its edges, he hadn't paid for it of course it had been a gift from his long time mentor when Jake had decided to strike out on his own. Jake then began daydreaming before remembering that he was on hire at the moment and that if he continued daydreaming it would negatively impact his playing. He did however take a quick look around to see the mood of the room, most people seemed to be in high spirits that is other than two people sat at one table. Taking a rather odd interest in the two people sat at the table Jake after finishing his song walked over sat down and asked "Any song requests?".

Always have a song in your heart and a drink in your stomach.

Jake can only cast magic through playing music.

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.
Naota

Character Info
Name: Naota
Race: Former Deity
Class: Former Deity of Light and Dreams
Silver: 12527
For one reason or another he always found himself coming back to the streets of Egjora, though this time it felt almost completely out of character. But with everything going on in the lands with time he knew that he had to use as much of it as he could. There was a precious piece that needed to be recovered, but unfortunately he'd come to learn that it was in the possession of what would most likely end up being an unwilling party. After all, most people of wealth -especially ones here- were very particular about having something taken from them that they spent money on. Well, in this particular case it wasn't she that had spent the money, but the sentiment was still the same.

Maybe that had been why he was hailed? This would take more than rummaging and thievery: they'd need diplomacy. Well, if he had his way at least. Usually people were keen to get a job done quickly rather than done in a way that would leave everyone happy. Of course, if they were to be ineffective in convincing her…well, that was a different story. But, that would be a bridge to cross if and when they came to it.

Presently he was resting at a corner table, eyes constantly scanning the area. Sometimes it was hard for him to shut off from work, especially when he was technically on another mission. This one just wouldn't end with a stake driven heart or decapitation. He hoped. Despite his set of skills he wasn't a fan of violence and hoped beyond hope that this would be able to be handled calmly.

His eyes lifted up, watching a man has he played his lute and without meaning to his thoughts wandered to a woman, but he wouldn't even let himself think her name. The last time he had been here he'd thought of her pleasantly, but now he felt a hard weight against his chest. Literally. The vial was already warmed against his skin under his clothing and the sound of the plucked strings was almost overwhelming. He needed air, but he wouldn't move. He wouldn't give her that.

As if on cue the player came over and sat at his table. He recognized him, this was one of the people he'd be working with for this job. Despite his choice in instrument he managed a smile and shook his head politely, "No, no thank you. Would you like to sit and talk? Make plans on getting started…?"

[ OOC: Leaving it vague in case they want to do an intro for their character lol If they want it so that they were sitting there the whole time just say that Naota was zoned out in thought XD ]

God Rules:
i. Has the ability to put any target into a deep sleep.
ii. Unmatched in holy magicks as well as light magicks.
iii. Can shatter illusions by bending the light to show the truth.
[ OOC: My main account but one of many! :D - Anton ]
Sylvi

Character Info
Name: Sylvi
Race: Cat Daemon
Class: Witch/Cat Thief
Silver: 120

Being able to sit at a table again was pleasant for Sylvi, and she savored being able to look at the world with humanish eyes again.  Then there were the two that she was to be working with.  In offering her aid to a particularly powerful entity, the cat daemon knew there would be a price to pay.  And this time it was one that she was fine with.  Especially since it seemed there was a bit of thievery and mischief to be had.  Two of her absolutely favorite things. 

She sat at the table with a pitcher of mulled cider a few moments before the player did, and let her companion do the first bit of talking.  Pouring three mugs of the warmed cider, Sylvi spoke up after taking a sip.  "Plans are good.  Flexibility is also good though.  And plans have a tendency to go wrong.  So perhaps a mix?" the purple haired woman suggested.  Her tone spoke of experience with such things, and she had a feeling that this little quest would not go as intended.  Very little ever did.

Tapping her fingers against the table for a moment, Sylvi savored the feeling before continuing her thoughts aloud.  "Bribery of house guards is a possibility.  Or a bit of sneaky reconnaissance.  In any case, I think it would serve our purpose best to know what we might be walking into," Sylvi added, her voice pitched low to blend into the murmur of the crowd for anyone trying to listen in.  If they had idea, she was quite willing to listen.

maffleet

Character Info
Jake dropped his facade immediately after the other two mentioned the job, well what he was doing wouldn't normally be a facade for him now was the time to be serious. He drank from the glass of cider he had been handed, "well if we need reconnaissance I should be able to supply that, nobles do love a good performer". Though, from what he'd heard of this woman, he'd have to mix some dark arts into it, sing a song in a strange tongue or some such thing. "As for acquiring the object, thievery might be difficult as it's probably gonna be well guarded and our escape would need to be quick." he was by this point wondering if he had anything that the noblewoman might take in exchange, probably not anything he'd be willing to part with. "Other than theft we have diplomacy as an option, we should try to keep her in the dark about the actual significance of the item, along the same lines we could attempt to convince her that it's worthless, if she thinks shes been ripped off she'll be much more likely to part with it. Either way I'd like to avoid violence it would make everything far more messy, plus combat has never been a favorite activity of mine more of a last resort". Jake then began absentmindedly strumming at his lute attempting to think of more ways they could acquire the chain, though this was not his usual affair he felt like this was a job that was too important to have passed up.

Chae

Character Info
Name: Chae
Race: Halfling Lich
Class: Scientist
Silver: 88
Each of the three recruits brought to the table, quite literally, a unique set of skills and knowledge that primed them for the task ahead. Among these talents lurked in the back of their minds a series of specific thoughts, which occurred to each at approximately the same moment.

Naota had a contact in the city, a rosenite cleric who knew the city and its residents. Avocet served vampire hunters and their ilk with spells and supplies, and she could most often be found at the healing temple in the poorer side of town. Still, she earned most of her money by offering healing and banishment services in house calls for the wealthy. It occurred to him that she would know the inside of the house, or at least the people who lived in it.

Sylvi, with her daemonic senses, might even from here sense the faint outline of a strong fae force which originated inside the house. Her old mistress had dealt with such a power once, had drunk of pale ambrosia and seen the glad magic of the winter court, but she had resisted the call of the bacchanal. The dark rituals ordained by fairy queens were not evil per se, but they were certainly wrought with glut and greed and mischief.

Jake had auditioned for a gig at a private gala among the Egjoran elite which, now that he thought of it, was taking place in the Faye house this very night. Though he had not made the cut, he knew one of the bards that did—at least, he had shared a couple of pints with him once. In any case, he was the only one of the three who had seen the face of Natalia herself, and he knew that she had been tickled by his knack for quick improvisation on the lute.

These details were theirs to share or to keep to themselves, to use or to forget about in the divine quest set before them. There were still a few hours until dark, and even then the winter evening would be long. There was certainly time to plan before the time came for action, perhaps even days if the preparation was important enough.

But ultimately the decision was theirs to make. 

Excuses

God Powers:
i. Perceives every word that has been written.
ii. Evokes intense moments of inspiration, especially in regard to magic and invention.
iii. Able to reverse the effects of psionic and illusion magic.
Naota

Character Info
Name: Naota
Race: Former Deity
Class: Former Deity of Light and Dreams
Silver: 12527
That was when it hit him. How had he not thought of it before? Probably because he didn't want to go to one of…them for help. His jaw locked and his fingers twitched with an urge to go up to the vial tucked under his shirt that hung against his chest. But this was for a job, and he could overlook a personal issue for something important such as this. Just the idea had his head threatening to go light with anger and his eyes to shift from green to blood red. Before he could stop himself he lifted two fingers to bring attention to him, "I know of a person here who would be able to provide us with intimate details about the house's layout. At the very least she would be able to give us useful information on the residents within."

He did his best to keep any disgust off of his face, and whether he liked it or not he felt a light pang of guilt for having such unhappy thoughts towards a Rosenite. Still, he hadn't yet wrestled with the dilemma of their existence intertwining with his personal life. But it was a start, and the more they knew about the layout of the place the easier time they would have moving forward with whatever course of action they chose.

He turned his eyes to Jake, "At any rate I agree with you: the more we can stray away from violence, the better. I doubt anyone within those walls is actually dangerous or deserving. If we must came face to face with someone then trickery would probably be best." There was no harm in that, not physically, and he tried not to think about the irony of convincing her that something so important was worthless.

That might create a struggle for another day were she or anyone from her family to find out later on, but that could always be worried about later. He hoped that they would take pride in knowing that they aided in something so important, but somehow he doubted they would see it that way. People on this island weren't always known for being particularly selfless.

God Rules:
i. Has the ability to put any target into a deep sleep.
ii. Unmatched in holy magicks as well as light magicks.
iii. Can shatter illusions by bending the light to show the truth.
[ OOC: My main account but one of many! :D - Anton ]
Sylvi

Character Info
Name: Sylvi
Race: Cat Daemon
Class: Witch/Cat Thief
Silver: 120
At least these two were keen on using their minds, rather than trying a solution through brute force.  She perked up a but when one mentioned knowing someone who knew of the house's layout, that could be very useful indeed.  "Oh that would be lovely.  I hate going into a place blind.  How soon can we meet your friend?  I would much rather get this done and over with," she said, eagerness in her voice.  There was something in Naota's body language that suggested he might not be entirely fond of her use of the word of 'friend'.  But there was a mischievous side to Sylvi that simply did not allow her to pass up such a chance. 

Her green eyes seemed to gleam for a moment as her thoughts became at least a bit more ordered than usual, and a thought struck Sylvi.  "I have an idea.  I want to go get a closer look at this place, see what I can figure out.  Perhaps you two should go find your contact, and see about getting a map of the house?  I'm sure there are places we could eliminate that way.  And figure out a way in," she suggested.  Splitting up was usually a bad idea, but they were just gathering intelligence for now, and it would save a bit of time.

The idea of going in as performers would be good, though she had other thoughts as well.  "we should find where the item is first, and see how well it is guarded.  And once we know the size and such, we can lay plans for how to… repossess it," she said with a slight grin.  This was going to be fun.

maffleet

Character Info
Jake could sense Naota's anger when he brought up this mysterious person with schematics to the Faye manor but it might be necessary, that is until Jake realized something that he had not so much forgotten as it didn't seem useful until now. " Should we wish not to involve this person I could probably obtain access to the house, as I recently auditioned for a private get together of the Egjoran though I failed to get in. They went with some local talent instead but anyways I could conceivably convince one of the other bards to let me in." Jake thought for a moment about whether his colleagues would actually be inclined to help him. As there was some friendliness among most bards, a kind of honor among thieves but such honor only goes so far. "Failing that miss Faye did seem to be quite the fan of my lute playing so, I might just be able to get in based on that and raw charisma."  Jake while understanding that all this planning was important he was getting antsy, the longer they sat their talking the more likely that they might be found out.