Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Corval Basin > Virens Forest > Twist and Turns [P/R]
Alexei Dusknoir

Character Info
Name: Alexei Dusknoir
Alignment: CN
Race: Werewolf
Class: Naval Officer (In training)
Silver: 538
[Will first start in Kurayo and will land here]

Alexei had made it through the hell Lord Steele made him crawl through in order to have the right to ask his daughter for courtship; not that he didn’t understand why it had occurred. But it was some time before he contemplated how to go about it. He had done a little bit of courting on and off again, it was usually done so because his family was doing it for political reasons. None of those had lasted long beyond a few days or weeks, there was no feeling for him with any of those previous girls. With Estelle, it felt different somehow. He couldn’t explain it other than she piqued his interest. None of his friends were of too much help save for one that jokingly suggested seeking out the vaewolf that had great chemistry with her cousin for help. After he got done punching the hell out of his arm, he allowed for the thought to linger and quickly fell back to his chambers and put quill to pen.

——

A letter made its way through the staff of the Volkov manor, with the final carrier reaching the library where Sergei was brushing up on his literature. “Young lord”, the maid called out before serving the letter on top of a platter. “This was addressed to you.” He took it and looked at the wax seal. It wasn’t hard for him to figure out that it was the Dusknoirs’ emblem but why would they reach out to him. He opened it and read the letter with a puzzled look on his face.

Alexei wished for his advice when it came to courting? And to Estelle?

Giving it some thought, Sergei wrote back, requesting for him to come to the manor in a few days.

The letter was sent, received and within the next day, Alexei showed up right out of the blue and to Sergei’s slight annoyance, quite early in the morning. But all the same, he met with him in the foyer.

“Pardon me for coming here so unannounced, but I figured it would be better to resolve this as quickly as possible.”

“No, it’s fine”, Sergei brushed it off. “Though I’m unsure what advice I can give you considering I’m in the middle of my first courting myself.”

“And yet, you seemed to master it better than I have. I’ve done it a few times but they lasted briefly and there was no…connection really with the girls I’ve seen. Estelle is different though and I’m unsure on how to approach her, let alone seek her courtship. Her father dragged me through hell just to get the opportunity and even so, I…” He had to think carefully; Alexei was not one to show vulnerability to another, much less to someone he hardly knew. But he didn’t have much of a choice. “I don’t know what to do.”

Sergei offered him a seat and sat on one of the couches. “What do you know about her? We can probably figure out a safe way to appeal to her.” Alexei looked at him as he thought, and thought and thought. But nothing was really coming to him. “Nothing really aside from a few nights we have crossed paths.” His host swiftly nodded and went to fetch a box filled with letters that had aged a bit. “Before I had courted Cinder properly, we had been pen pals and we learned about one another gradually before becoming friends and long before we…” His eyes closed and he chuckled a bit, knowing that Alexei would understand. “Learn about her. Learn her likes and dislikes, her dreams and aspirations. Get to know the girl behind her pretty face. And make your intentions clear from the start.”

He handed the letters to Alexei and he went over a few of them. There was truth behind his words as he read the innocent words of Cinder and only imagined the same would be from Sergei’s end. He gave them back and bid a quick farewell before heading home and starting another letter.

Estelle Norcross,

It has been a long while since we have spoken, though I know that by now word has reached you about my recent trip to Sularia. I was received by your father, who wished to place me through some trials, for lack of a better word in order to see if I was serious. And I had passed, perhaps barely, but had done so all the same. Your mother kindly tried me as well, but not to his extent and also approved. My intention was to seek a courtship with you, and while I do still wish for it, I have been given some advice that I’m determined to follow.

I will admit that I was captivated by you ever since the first night, I don't quite know you for you. I wish to know and understand you first. And with your permission, at some point afterwards, perhaps we can see if courting is possible. I will wait for your answer, no matter how long it takes.

–Alexei Dusknoir

Estelle

Character Info
Name: Estelle Norcross
Race: Lycan/Rosenite/Demon
Class: Student
Silver: 388
Estelle seemed normal, maybe even happy. Though her face was consistently hard to read probably a syndrome of having two parents who did the same. She was in the garden of their house practicing with her father. Light swordplay, nothing that she couldn’t handle.

It was Eldora who came out the back of the house and waved a letter, “Seems you have yourself an admirer.”

The whole town knew she had an admirer. It wasn’t at all a secret as the boy had been through hell just to get to this point. Estelle put her sword away on her hip and took the letter to read it. She read it over a few more times and left both of her parents quietly. She got to the door frame and stopped looking back, “Thanks for bringing it to me.” Eldora smirked lightly and nodded. How quiet their Estelle was…

She sat down at her desk and picked up her quill and pondered.

Alexei Dusknoir,

I remember you well before your little trip to see my father. I don’t know what to make of you just yet. Not just anyone dares to cross the Warlord himself or trusts my mother to let them hold their hand. There is a fair coming up. I’m sure you have received the same invitation that I have. As it turns out my cousin Cinder has been gushing over Sergei taking her. I do believe going together will make the most interesting night.

Don’t keep me waiting,
Estelle Norcross.

Estelle packaged the letter up and quickly sent it off before making her plans known to Cinder. Cinder seemed shocked at first that the Norcross girl was interested in something other than training or learning. She was a diligent student. The apple of her father’s eye. The pride of her mother. Even a gemstone to her grandfather Xunatar.

Cinder helped her get ready for the date. It must have been odd wearing a dress but Cinder insisted to blow Alexei’s mind. To Estelle, it had seemed as though the boy’s mind had already been blown all over the wall. All she had to do was see if she liked him enough to continue seeing him.

Estelle’s large dark hair was in curls down her back. Her shoes were comfortable as she had gotten out of wearing heels and stuck to boots, though they looked more for show. They were nicer than her other pair.

Once Cinder saw Sergei she bounded over to him and put her hands in his. There was a longing look in her eyes as she smiled up at him.

Was this what love did to people? Estelle tilted her head at the obvious signs of affection. Her parents were in love but they didn’t do things like this. They were reserved people of status. They saved their affections for behind closed doors or the small kisses good-bye in the morning.

So Estelle merely came over to Alexei to greet him, “It’s good to see you again and most certainly this is a better moment than me crashing through a door.” Their first meeting had been a whirlwind. Her cousins had been getting into trouble, they were trouble and always had been. She was more like their keeper when she was in charge. They knew better than to make Estelle upset. She would not disappoint her mother and father, she would kill them first and they knew it.

Cinder pulled Sergei back over to Estelle and rubbed her nose against his, “Sergei and I are glad for this double date. We don’t often get to have dates off school grounds like this. So if there’s anything you would like to do please don’t hesitate to ask. We’re just glad to have this chance.”

Estelle crossed her arms and looked from Alexei to Cinder and Sergei… Finally, she looked at their hands and how they were. She held out her hand to Alexei. If they were holding hands then they should as well. She would allow it. “What do you even do at a fair?” It was the only question that left Estelle’s lips.

“Well… Since you train all day and never get out… This should be an experience for you! Fairs are fun! There are games and trials. This one has a love tunnel but it sounds ominous. A mirror maze, a haunted house, you name it they probably have it. We could always start out with games and let the boys show off a bit. What do you think Sergei?”

Alexei Dusknoir

Character Info
Name: Alexei Dusknoir
Race: Werewolf
Class: Naval Officer (In training)
Silver: 538
Steele had done what he had felt a father should do- allow for his daughter to make her own decisions when it came to love. As for her potential suitor, he seemed determined enough but that hadn’t meant he would simply let it go unchallenged. But young Dusknoir had proven himself and it would be up to Estelle to find him worthy or not. He sheathed his own sword and let her read the letter that he had expected in the coming days. After she retired for the moment, he went over to Eldora and kissed the top of her head. “She gets that from her mother, from what I’ve heard.” He looked back to where Estelle had stood near the door. “She will break him if he breaks her heart”, he spoke proudly, knowing what she was capable of.

——

For the next few days, Alexei felt a pit in his stomach as he waited for her reply. Perhaps she wouldn’t accept his words or if there had been another suitor. It wouldn’t be so shocking- he, along with most of the male youth here had heard rumors of the beauty that her homeland carried. If nothing else, he had seen Estelle already and as well as the Lady Angela that married Lord Volkov. Those didn’t help the matter and he felt it manifest until his daily tasks. Coordinated, balanced and timely he typically was- but around this time, he might as well had slippery but heavy stones tied to his feet. Oversleeping, daydreaming and clumsiness just seemed to cling to him for whatever reason. Maybe he’s going insane?

He was at his desk with his head down when his sister came in and tapped him on the shoulder. Immediately, Alexei shot up and glared at her. “Settle down, I have something for you.” She handed him a letter and it took a moment for him to realize who it was from and immediately tore the envelope open and skimmed through the letter for any signs of rejection. There wasn’t any; instead, he saw the opportunity and was hellbent on taking it.

His sister, who was peeking over his shoulder, nearly fell over as he jolted up and headed out of his chambers and quickly called for a carriage to be prepared.

Before long , he arrived again at the Volkov manor and quickly pounded on the door. There was a stillness in the air before the door opened, but instead of being greeted with a friendly face, Alexei had the tip of a bolt arrow in his face. “WHO…ARE…YOU?”Ivan said, loudly pronouncing each word as he moved his crossbow and the tip kept poking at the young man’s nose. “I am Alexei, an acquaintance of Sergei. I came to speak with him…”

“IVAN! What are you doing?”, Sergei called out, making a face at him and pulling him back. “I will handle this.”

“Oh fine! But he was knocking like he was Her Majesty's guards or something!” Ivan huffed and marched away, sprouting something about “fuck the authorities and coming from the underground” or something like that.

“What brings you here, Alexei?”

He showed the young lord the letter and soon the lads were scheming on how to address this.
—-

Alexei felt slightly out of place, particularly on the robes and thick coat he wore- more fancy than his preference. But he was convinced that his military dress uniform wouldn’t be needed tonight. It was time for him to have fun and enjoy spending time with his date. He was praying he wouldn’t screw this up as the two arrived at the fair.

At first glance, Alexei was stunned when he saw her. Not many things in this world that he’s experienced first hand were capable of catching him off guard. And before he knew, he was gawking over her and he recovered as quickly as he could. Meanwhile Sergei took Cinder’s hands and caressed her skin. It felt like eons since they were able to do this. Surely, it was inappropriate for those of their status to have public displays of attention, but they were still young.

“Yes, I look forward to spending time with you without two knuckleheads stirring up trouble. It will be nice for a change.” He felt uneasy again, but it wasn’t like before. Why was he getting this way with her now? He had courted before and nothing like this feeling had come about then.

The couple continued their lovely-dovely nature and Alexei couldn’t fathom being this reckless. Between that and his current feeling, he felt like a fish out of water in these parts. His eyes came back to Estelle and took her hand into his. It felt warm and strangely nice, and the butterflies in his belly started to calm down. “You look really nice…uh…not that you don’t always…”, he rambled on before shutting his mouth out of embarrassment.

Sensing his awkwardness, Sergei chimed in. “I think this will be good for all of us. The night is young and we should enjoy it to its fullest.”

The idea of games had Alexei more at ease. “Yeah, why not”, Sergei answered with a smile. “If you are good, then I might win you a prize”, he teased Cinder and led her towards the stands.

Gods did Alexei envy him.

“Shall we then?”, he asked Estelle before taking her over there as well. Looking about, he settled onto the ring toss. Glancing back, he could see Sergei bobbing for apples. “Alright young man, get three rings onto the pumpkin stems and win a prize”, the game master called out, “Betcha the pretty lady there will be happy to leave here with one!”

He nodded, refusing to back down from the challenge and released her hand to take the three rings. Observing the pumpkins and the way their stems stood, Alexei devised a plan quickly and tossed the first one.

A hit.

The second? A hit.

His final one barely missed and the game master offered another go. Of course he was going to take it; he was going to get Estelle one of those coveted prizes. Hopefully she will care.

He would see within a few more moments as he landed the three consecutively. “I’ll let the pretty lady decide”, he said, feeling pleased with himself. The butterflies were almost gone in the excitement.