Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Corval Basin > Virens Forest > Forbidden Consequences (P)
Kimari Redmane

Character Info
Name: Kimari Redmane
Alignment: None
Race: Centaur
Class:
Silver: 773
Kimari looked at her surroundings and then back at the blanket that covered her now swollen horse belly. The young mare thought back to some events that occurred nearly nearly a year ago. The stallion she had been with was such a kind and caring individual. They had been in love, but she knew that it shouldn't have happened. He was from a rival herd and she couldn't stay with him. And when she found that she was carrying his foal it scared her, which caused her to leave without a single word. There was absolutely no way that she would be able to return to her own herd once the time of her foaling approached. The foal would no doubt give away that she had been with someone from an opposing tribe. There were several herds that bore similarly marked pelts, all having different paint markings and different colored horse hair, but they were still Paints or Pintos. None of the families she knew and was allowed to socialize with, due to feuding, were Buckskins. They had been against each other for as far back as any of them could remember. She was more than a little distressed. And with her being alone, so close to her foaling, she was very worried.
Yes, Centaur women foaled on their own all the time. But birthing a foal that had a high chance of bearing a strong resemblance to its father wasn't going to be good for her chances of being allowed back into her herd. Not when he was far from a Centaur with paint markings, but rather a dark Buckskin stallion, and the son of his particular herd's leader no less. She wouldn't ever be able to go back. Not with her foal in tow.

The time of her foaling was close. She knew it, but wished for the father to be there with her.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eventually the day of her foaling approached. Kimari went through the long laboring process and just before sundown, she nearly howled in pain as the large colt entered the world. She slumped back and rested, her sides still heaving as she breathed heavily. She was afraid to see what the foal looked like. She knew that even if it bore her red paint markings, but had dark legs with dark hair and a dark tail she would be in trouble. None of the paint Centaur herds that lived in the place she was born had dark leg markings or nearly jet black hair and tails; only blondes, light to medium brunettes and reds. Only the two local buckskin herds had very dark hair and tails like that, along with the super dark fur on their legs.
When she finally looked at the colt, whose human half was considerably more developed than a newborn human child (the result of centaur gestation being about eleven months in length), he was already trying to stand up, wobbling on his long, spindly legs, with dark blood red, not quite black, colored fur that had white socks; his hair was dark hair and he had a jet black tail. She whimpered softly, covering her mouth, knowing that she wouldn't be able to go back with her newborn son. She looked at his paint markings, and how they melted into his burnt yellow-orange fur, seeing how faded they were. They weren't as prominent as her own white markings. She stood and grabbed a blanket, using it to clean up her son once he stood up for the first time. She knew that she had to feed him, so she did, and then looked around. They were in a wooded area, so she didn't feel that anyone was likely to see. Yes, she was a long way from home; however, there were still patrols that would come this far. She knew they were looking for her, still.
Now, she knew that her newborn would likely tire of standing quickly, so she made a place for him to sleep. And, sure enough, not even quarter of an hour later the foal was laying on the soft plant material she had gathered. Yes, she wished that she had a bunch of blankets for her new foal, but she only had one she could use to try covering them both. She knelt down and lay beside him, pulling his smaller body close to her horse flank. Now that she could finally rest, that was precisely what she did. She took another thin blanket and draped it over herself as she lay down to rest. What the new mother would do now, she did not know, but she swore to herself that she would figure it out. If not for her own sake, she'd figure it out for the new foal laying beside her.
Nelanna Fox

Character Info
Name: Nelanna R. Fox
Alignment: TG
Race: Elf
Class: Former Warden of the Wilds
Silver: 407
“Are you certain you are alright? You pushed yourself a little hard today.” Nelanna sighed at Kohaku, rolling her eyes. But she could not contain a soft smile. She appreciated his concern, but since he learned of her pregnancy his worry had become a tad more extreme than usual. Deep down, she knew he was right to worry, though. A simple mistake, even an accident that seems small could produce terrible results. Losing her child would be devastating. The very thought made her heart ache. But she could not just sit in bed all day and be lazy as her familiar wished. She wasn’t the kind of girl that enjoys not doing anything, because spending nine month doing nothing in bed would be maddening. Besides, she would never intentionally push herself hard enough to risk her unborn child’s life. Kohaku should already know that, and she suspected he did. But he just couldn’t help himself.

“I am fine, Kohaku. Believe me, I did not push myself any harder than I normally do,” she finally replied, glancing to the side at him to give him an appreciative look. His amber eyes locked with her turquoise pools, calm and wise. “Forgive me for worrying so much, but you don’t exactly have a smooth history of listening to me,” he countered, lips showing the smallest sign of a grin. And she knew exactly what he meant. He did not support her choice to court Cecil all those years ago, and he constantly warned her of the dangers she was exposing herself to. Even after he was proven right when she was kidnapped and her memories were wiped, she still did not listen. Yes, choosing Cecil had caused a great deal of pain due to his abusive father, but she never regretted it. Nelanna refused to live her life in fear, too cautious to try. She could not let her worry keep her from living her life and taking chances, because then she would never have known what good would come from it. Sometimes when one fears they will fall, they find that when they try, they fly.

“I know,” she said, looking back ahead. “But you see what has become of it. If I had not listened, I would not have found the love of my life, a man who makes my dreams come true and gave me a home,”— she placed a hand over her belly which would soon grow— “and a family. I have never been happier in my life.”

“Yes, I can see that.” Her heart was jabbed at the sound of his voice, swallowed up by melancholy and a hint of jealousy. She instantly regretted going on about her own fortune. Kohaku still struggled with his own. The love of his live was slaughtered before his very eyes, and he was constantly overwhelmed with uncertainty whether he would ever find real love again. Recently he had appeared to have higher spirits, and she suspected he had found some sort of distraction, but it did not heal him entirely yet. She hoped it soon would, whatever it is. “We have company,” Kohaku suddenly said, snapping Nelanna’s eyes up ahead. But she could not see anyone. He must be able to smell them. “Is it dangerous?” She asked, voice quiet with caution. Kohaku sniffed the air once again, ears standing high on end. And then he shook his head, “No. There is a female that smells of milk, and a child that smells of birth.” Nelanna blinked with surprise, “Do you think a woman gave birth? Out here?”

“Perhaps,” Kohaku shrugged. He did not appear to care on the surface as he wore his neutral face, but she could feel deep inside he was curious and maybe even a little concerned. Strangers were never his top priority or interest, but he was still a caring soul that is more than willing to help those in need. She smiled softly at him, “Why don’t we go check it out?” The scent of a child would certainly draw predators and beasts towards them. It would not take long for the mother and her newborn to be overrun by danger, and in her weakened state, she could not fight.

Kohaku guided her in the right direction, veering them off of their usual path to his cottage for something deep in Virens. Soon they found the pair. They were centaurs. The mother was resting with her foal, both had blankets over them. They needed better warmth, and protection. Nelanna glanced once at Kohaku and he instantly knew what she was thinking, sighing and glancing away with a shrug of defeat. He tried his best to look cool and nonchalant, but he truly was worried. She almost giggled. But instead, she quietly stepped closer to the mother, footsteps light and graceful. She leaned closer, “Miss? Are you alright?”

Kimari Redmane

Character Info
Class:
Kimari wasn't fully asleep as she lay beside her new colt. However, sleep was lingering over her, waiting to claim her. That is, until she heard something moving. She was a bit slow to react to it, sleep and exhaustion from her foaling weighing her down. Yet that did not stop her from stirring and as soon as she heard a voice, she was up, knife in hand, and standing over her new colt, her blue eyes like liquid fire. The centaur mother did not let her guard down, her front right hoof pawing some at the ground. "I'm quite all right." She huffed, but her exhaustion was apparent. Seeing that the colt was so large, she had taken a lot to bring him into the world. But that did not mean that she was going to just let these strangers near him. No matter how friendly the elf seemed. There was absolutely no way for Kimari to know who she was or who she knew.

Kimari glanced to where Kohaku was and stared him down. It was apparent that she did not trust the male. Neither of them seemed armed, but she was not putting her knife down. Even if she were to drop it she knew that she would just be able to kick or trample them with her hooves. Something that the tired new mother was already considering if they made any wrong moves. Too much had already happened to her. She wasn't about to let these strangers potentially harm her newborn, who unfortunately started fussing at the commotion.

The centaur mother looked down at her son, and then to the strangers there. She whistled and a large eagle flew down from high in a tree, landing on a lower branch. It watched the strangers with sharp eyes. The bird was ready to attack on Kimari's command.
Nelanna Fox

Character Info
Name: Nelanna R. Fox
Alignment: TG
Race: Elf
Class: Former Warden of the Wilds
Silver: 407
Nelanna stumbled back as the woman suddenly sprang to her feet. She stood over her foal and drew a knife, her words a simple reply, but her voice was threatening. A strong wave of alarm washed over her from Kohaku, and instantly she became worried. He summoned his katanas which arrived in their sheaths on his waist, and she stepped in between Nelanna and the centaur. She spotted his hand on the hilt of one sword, poised and ready to draw the blade and slash with one swift motion. As an ex manslayer and guard, he had the speed and accuracy to kill an unprepared opponent before they can attack. It had something to do with his sword style. But Nelanna could not allow him to make an enemy out of this woman, even if he is trying to protect his Master. “Kohaku, please, stand down,” she asked him softly, placing a reassuring hand on his shoulder. But he didn’t budge. His amber eyes were sharp and fierce as he stared at the centaur. Her hand on him could feel his muscles were tense, like a loaded spring that’s ready to release the pressure it had built.

“She is armed,” he finally replied. “Thus, she is a danger to you.” Nelanna smiled softly, but sadly. Showing hostility in return will only make the other woman believe they are a threat. And, she is a new mother. Naturally, she is only trying to protect her child. “Kohaku,” she tried again, removing her hand from his shoulder to place it lightly on his hand on his katana. He finally glanced back at her. “Please? If a battle starts, do you think I would be any more safe than I am now?” She knew it was a blow to his pride, as he liked to believe that he is capable of successfully protecting her at all times in any situation. But she also knew he was too smart to not see the truth in her words. He was silent for a few moments, his ears twitching as he thought. Then, his eyes softened at her, and he removed his hand from his sword. She sent him a few words of gratitude through their psyche. She was not sure why, but he has a major soft spot for her, and will listen to everything she says if she’s persistent enough.

She looked back at the centaur with an apologetic smile, “I’m sorry, miss. We mean you no harm, nor your child. Kohaku is just very protective of me.” She heard a quiet groan from Kohaku as he crossed his arms over his chest, the disapproval of her defending him clear as day through their bond. She stifled a giggle at him, and instead ignored it. “We only want to help,” she went on. “Virens is not a safe place during this hour. It is brimmed with dangerous creatures that would want nothing more than to harm you and your child. And, I do not mean to upset you, but I am sure that after the birth, you are in no position to be fighting off such deadly creatures. You must be exhausted, and your child could use a safer and warmer place than out here.”

Kimari Redmane

Character Info
Class:
Kimari cared little about the fact that the elf had stumbled backwards. The new mother was beyond edgy and would go as far as kick the elf, or the man who didn't seem exactly human, if they posed a threat to her newborn. She glanced to the eagle, just before she saw the man move suddenly. She flicked her gaze towards him and took that moment to rear back. She was careful so as to not trample her colt. But she wanted to make it very clear that, had she not had the knife, she was still willing and able to do what she could to protect him.

Everything from then on happened very quickly. The exchanges between the elf and the male were a blur to Kimari, who was too tired to fully pay them mind. Her attention was on the colt on the ground, fussing that there was a commotion going on. Her hormones and instincts had her all confused. She wanted to calm her son, but also wanted to protect him from any potential immediate danger. She could tell that the man was going to back down, due to the things that the elf had said, which helped ease Kimari's nerves, if only slightly. However, she was not going to let the man who had nearly pulled swords on her near her colt. Still standing over her colt, Kimari gave a sharp nod to Nelanna, whose name was still unknown to the centaur, as none of them had given introductions. The new mother sheathed the knife, although watched Kohaku carefully. "I can see that he is," she replied, yet it did not sound like she cared much about that. "This won't be the first night I have stayed here. I will be just fine." She knew that she was probably lying to herself, but she did not trust the man, and she certainly did not want them to try and force her to bring her colt to stay the night in a stable or something of that nature. She knew that she would be beyond offended if they treated her in such a manner, just due to her having the lower body of a horse. She refused to tolerate that sort of disrespect from anyone.

"Where would you be taking us?" The centaur woman asked. "If I would follow you? Which I don't really feel that I will be doing." The lack of trust was extremely apparent in her tone. She did not know these people. She had not a single way to know if they would take her back to her herd or the rival herd if they knew who she was. She did not want to see her foal killed for being of mixed blood, as some unfortunate foals had been in the past. Not even the fact that his parents were of noble birth would save him from the fate that almost always befell foals born from Kimari's and of the herd of the colt's father. They were far from the most civilized of centaur groups, and due to the warring between the herds things went way too far. Kimari was almost ashamed to be connected to them in any way. She loved her family, but a lot of their customs were crude and very much unnecessary.