Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Corval Basin > Virens Forest > To Bond Or To Hate [P, R?]
Anon

Character Info
Name: Anon Y. Mous
Alignment: TN
Race: Unknown
Class: Illusionist
Silver: 352
News traveled fast akin to wild fire. A posted noticed here, word of mouth there. Rumors spread, but they weren't rumors. Not since everyone was saying the same thing with very little to no deviation. Cecil had insisted on making the next set of purchases for the little cottage, to supplement the sudden two additional mouths to feed. While Gahara tended to fend for himself, it was still nice to have a meal he did not have to search and work for. Plus, there was the added bonus of purchased meat already skinned. It was in town on the errands that he head heard of the reopening of the ancient mines.

The fae returned home to the Virens, and shared the information with Nelanna and Kohaku. She expressed her desire to go, Cecil opted against the venture. Promised riches were tempting enough, but the lack of defensive knowledge made the fae fear. If she had to worry about his safety, wouldn't that put her in more danger? Not caring if the stupid fox was watching or not, Cecil drew Nelanna close, tucking hair behind her pointed ear. "I have no right to ask you to stay. But I urge you to be careful." His voice was soft, hushed, yet deep and husky.

It was odd to talk to her, odd to hear his voice in the common tongue. Aside from Gahara and animals, only one could understand him that he found. She was far older than he, but it was through her defiance that allowed him to start on the path of recovery. Without her, how much worse off would he have been before Nelanna found him? Cecil suspected that Kohaku knew of Chartora, but he was unsure of how much either of them were aware.  It was one of those topics he had been trying to figure out how to breach with Nelanna, even though he knew she would be grateful to Chartora, and happy that he had found someone to assist him. "Gahara would be ecstatic to assist you to Ancense."

Nelanna Fox

Character Info
Name: Nelanna R. Fox
Alignment: TG
Race: Elf
Class: Former Warden of the Wilds
Silver: 407
There had been a problem, Nelanna recently began to notice. Many trips needed to be made for meal ingredients and supplies for survival, but those things cost money, and neither Nelanna nor Kohaku had a job. The reason she had money in the first place was because she was born a noble, and she had been smart enough to take more than just a few hands full of her parent’s money before she ran away. As the years went by, she spent as little money as possible, only buying what was necessary to survive with a few drinks and desirable things on the side. But now, her money was starting to run uncomfortably low. She needed to find a way to get more before Kohaku, or Cecil, began to notice the beginning of her sudden financial struggle.

That’s why when she heard about the mines in Ancense, she decided to go within a heartbeat. True, it wasn’t the best nor most successful way of getting money; taking treasure and possibly selling it for large sums of money. But it would at least add more to the pile before Kohaku, who uses her money the most, realizes how low the pile has gotten. Then, she could go into one of the nearby towns and get a job. She was embarrassed about it all, which is why she was willing to go as far as putting herself in danger to get some of that treasure from the mines. And so she didn’t explain her reasons for wanting to go when she told Cecil and Kohaku her plan.

As Cecil pulled her closer, she couldn’t help but to smile softly at him, her eyes looking into his lovingly. “I will be alright,” she replied reassuringly, her fingers tampering with the clothing on his chest a little. “If I cannot handle this task then all of my training will have been wasted. It would be shameful to be so weak with the title of Zanar’s champion.” Suddenly, she reached up and kissed him lightly on the tip of his nose, then pulled back enough to offer another smile. “I will be back home soon, don’t you worry.” She stepped away and walked over to the dining table where her hunting gear and weaponry rested.

As she started putting on her tools, she replied to Cecil’s last statement, “I would be pleased for Gahara to come along if he desires it. I do not wish to burden him.” There was a quiet groan from Kohaku, who waited by the staircase with his arms crossed, back leaned against the wall. Nelanna could feel disappointment, as well as a large wave of irritation coming from him. Though his face did not show any of these feelings, his eyes were turned away, avoiding both her and Cecil. Her smile became lopsided, “Kohaku, I know you do not approve of me leaving you here with Cecil, but please try to get along with him. You may not see eyes to eye, and for whatever reason you aren’t fond of him, but I need the two of you to do this, for me.”

There was no response from Kohaku aside from a lingering glance, and a heavy sigh of defeat. Nelanna smiled, “Alright then, I’m off.” She gave Kohaku a reassuring look, then approached Cecil briefly and gave him a farewell kiss on the cheek. Then, she was out the door and on her way.

Kohaku stayed in his spot, unmoving. Only after several heartbeats did his eyes finally leave the door and look up at Cecil. His expression didn’t change, but now his eyes finally showed his inner irritation. This was a terrible idea. Not only did he have to worry for Nelanna’s safety, but he also had to tend to the cottage and gardens while dealing with dream boy. Kohaku was far from pleased, and already was feeling the exhaustion of the idea of putting up with all of this.

This was going to be a disaster.

Anon

Character Info
Her smile was igniting, causing his heart to skip a beat. It's no longer the sheepish, crushing smile she would give him. Nelanna no longer wondered if her love was requited or not, she knew for a fact. Before he could do anything to try and convince her to stay, she slipped away like a sly minx, surprising him with a kiss on the nose and suddenly no longer in his arms. The air around him seemed all that much colder without her near.

"You are less of a burden than Cecil can ever be, Lady Nelanna." Gahara pipped in, showing his telepathic eavesdropping tendencies. Cecil rolled his eyes as he found himself leaning against the nearest wall that allowed him to watch her prepare. Weapons, quiver, armor, her pack, everything was gathered, and donned in the proper order. Kohaku was ignored by the fae as he took in her confidence, her determination, her prowess. There was a strength in taking up arms for any reason.  Cecil always admired that in most anyone, Nelanna especially.

"Worry not, I shall try not to provoke him," he jested. Of course, it was Kohaku that started everything. Cecil was beginning to get the distinct feeling that the fox hated him for reasons beyond the fae's control. What happened that caused the instant distaste for him? Surely, Cecil did nothing to inspire such feelings. They both wanted the same thing for Nelanna. Her happiness and safety was their primary concern. Yet, the fae kept meeting negativity from Kohaku. It truly wouldn't surprise him if it stemmed from his father. Oberon had a hand in everything.

Cecil watched her from the door as she climbed onto Gahara's back. After the griffon took off, Cecil closed the door, his hands resting on the wood for several moments. Worry and dread filled him with her absence. That damned fox was going to try something, and Cecil had just about enough of that trickster's attempts to get rid of him, or what ever it was he was trying to do. Trying not to glare, or even show distrust, the fae turned to the kitsune, who became his only company for lords knew how long. Irritation seemed to radiate from the fox. Even with his curse broken, Cecil found little to talk to him about.

There was also very little he knew about cottage life. He spent far too long running, that being able to stay in one place seemed like a dangerous dream. Almost cautiously, the fae thumbed toward the door. "Need anything washed? Thought I'd do laundry."

Nelanna Fox

Character Info
Nelanna’s departure left a heavy silence in the cottage, almost awkwardly so. And this silence carried on for what felt like forever. Kohaku sighed lightly and pushed himself off from leaning on the wall, allowing his arms to fall at his sides. There were many things that needed to be done. Dusting, all bedding needed washing as well as clothing, food needed to be prepared so the two couldn’t starve without Nelanna, gardening, as well as tending to Jade Vine, and probably many other things that Kohaku didn’t want to think about right now.

Just when he was beginning to turn away, Cecil opened his mouth. Dang it, why couldn’t he keep it shut just a little longer? And he wanted to do chores of all things? Seems like the awkwardness was getting to him. The thought almost made Kohaku smirk, but he quickly fought it back and wore his normal expression, calm, almost flat.

Honestly, the last thing he wanted was for Cecil to do their laundry. If he washed Kohaku’s he might burn them or something stupid. And Nelanna’s…there was no way in hell he’d trust Cecil with her clothing. But he did need to give him something to do, to keep him busy so he didn’t have to worry about Cecil for a while longer. He thought for a moment, eyes averted to the side with his fingers holding his chin thoughtfully. “If you must do something then you can start dusting. That should be a simple enough task for you.” He glanced at Cecil, no sign of his old smirk returning. Clearly he still hasn’t returned to his old self again. That ‘special’ day still hasn’t come and gone quite yet, so he was still troubled.

“If you still want something to do once you are done with that, then you can look after Jade Vine. Her oats and grains are outside by the side of the cottage,” he paused to point near the fireplace where there were two buckets stacked within each other, the one on top holding the tools for the fireplace. “You can use one of those buckets to put the oats and grains in. She has a strict diet, so don’t give her anymore than one bucket.” His eyes narrowed, looking back at Cecil. “Got that?”

Anon

Character Info
Instant irritation flashed through him. Years of Oberon's court had taught Cecil how to hold his tongue and think things through with such heat. Was this fox treating him like a child? Some love struck young mortal who would unmentionable things with private clothing? Did he really think that low of the Fae? His days of doing chores at the command of others was over. Cecil decided he wasn't going to roll over and take this crap from some stupid, privileged fox. ”Look here, Kohaku. I said I was doing laundry, so I'm going to do laundry. Like it or not, I'm not a lost child for you to command because of your gracious acceptance of my presence in your home. What, do you think I am some kind of pervert, looking to defile clothing?”

He was trying hard not to march up to be in Kohaku's face. Fists were balled at his side as memories assaulted him. Memories of pain, cruelty, laughter at his expense. ”I've been on my own long enough to know how to wash clothes. You know what? Forget you and your childish chores to keep me out of your way.” Cecil stomped up the stairs to start gathering his clothing, roughly brushing against the fox. Since Nelanna had returned, he had used his own stash of coin to purchase some new outfits, since most of his was borrowed from Nelanna, or lost on his drunken rage. It was a first time that did not fear losing it all by suddenly running again. Once the clothing, both his own and Nelanna's own, in the basket, he wordlessly left the cottage.

While the frustration, irritation and anger bubbled within, Cecil took it out on the clothing, even if it didn't seem like it. On the outside, he looked like a snowy haired elf washing clothing in a creek. Grab a shirt from the pile, scrub the soap in, work the dirt out, and thoroughly rinse. Afterwards, he carefully wrung each garment and laid it back in the basket. It was the scrubbing, the monotonous task over and over, that was the evidence of his emotion. By the end of the pile, his knuckles and fingers were rubbed raw. With a sigh, Cecil stood and began clipping each one to the clothesline to dry. The fragrance of the soap wafted from them, saturating the area in the sweet perfume.

Cecil went back inside, grabbed the bucket that was previously pointed out, and went to the oat storage. ”Strict diet my wings! Strict diet would be half this.” He approached the horse in a half daze, all but muttering to himself. Taking a hand full, Cecil allowed the horse to eat from his hand as he patted her neck. With the bucket placed before her, Cecil grabbed the horse brush and began using broad strokes against her coat, in the direction of her fur. ”Of course, I don't blame you. All you've done is what you've been asked. You are well loved. Me? I'm the punching bag, the pile of dung no one wants around. I'm just happy to have one person love me the way she does… I've missed having that… Knowing that no matter how rough the day was, to have someone waiting with a smile, a kind word… to make you feel good and brighten your day. It's a nice feeling to have.” His voice was soft and soothing as he spoke to the horse. A twinge of sadness crept in as he thought of his mother's sweet smile.

Nelanna Fox

Character Info
His eyes narrowed, watching the Fae during his sudden rebellion. That was a new response, one Kohaku had not quite expected. It wasn’t normal for Cecil to outright deliberately disobey. He never liked Kohaku’s commands and suggestions, but he never acted like this, no matter how much he looked like a child throwing a tantrum. It was…intriguing, to say the least. Kohaku said nothing, only continued to watch as the Fae set to work, the cold brush of his shoulder as Cecil stomped by completely ignored.

The more Kohaku observed Cecil the more he learned. Not only about what kind of person he was, but the potential he had within. He was strong willed with firm beliefs. There was no denying that he had plenty of downfalls, but those could easily be outweighed by his strengths, if he learned how to use them properly. He was stubborn, and lacked experience, but when it came to Nelanna he was different in some ways. He would do anything for her, but he was too inexperienced to learn how. That, Kohaku supposed, was something that Cecil needed to be taught.

By now the fox had already realized that Cecil was not going to let Nelanna go. He was tired of being hurt, pushed away and left behind. It was that pain that finally made him step up for himself, and not just now. The whole time Kohaku had known Cecil he was standing up, just in a different way, one that was harder to notice until now. He refused to let go of what he loved and needed, which was Nelanna. And if Kohaku were honest, Cecil’s resolve was quite impressive. He was gradually changing as well. Nelanna was changing him. After meeting her, Cecil finally had the gall to defy his father, which in itself is proof that Cecil is willing to fight for Kohaku’s dear Master. However, when he thought he’d lost Nelanna, Cecil’s reaction was quite disappointing. Even though Nelanna was in his mind the whole time he grieved, not once did he truly think about her. He was caught up in self pity, wondering why he keeps getting hurt and losing those he loves. He didn’t think about what Nelanna would want for him after her death.

So yes, he had many downfalls. But already he has shown that he can change for the better. If he won’t let go of Nelanna, then he will have to become someone who can protect her, make sure she will never get hurt again.

So, after the chores within the Cottage were finished, Kohaku changed his clothing in his room on the highest floor. His samurai kimono was tossed aside, replaced by more tight, elvish styled attire. It was mostly black, with silver trims and golden patterns across the shirt. Knee high boots were put on as well, and a belt around his hips with both of his sheathed katanas. The outfit was completed as he pulled his hair back, excluding his bangs, and put into a high, messy ponytail. The results made him appear like some kind of elf noble with the more expensive clothing, a quite impressive look mind you.

Finally, he made his way outside where Cecil was feeding Jade Vine. He stopped a few feet away before the Fae noticed his presence, crossing his arms over his chest and shifting his weight to one leg. Silently, he listened to what Cecil was saying to the mare, deciding not to reveal his presence quite yet.

There was an understanding as the fox eavesdropped, his face softening at Cecil’s words. He knew exactly what Cecil was feeling, his love for Nelanna, his desperate desire to be loved in return, to be wanted and needed. Kohaku saw resemblances between himself and Cecil that were so close it was uncanny, almost frightening. He supposed that’s why he was always so hard on the boy. He had experienced the same things, felt the same way, and Kohaku wasn’t proud of the way he handled it all. He felt so angry seeing Cecil walking down that same regretful path, no room for pity. But most of all, he had a strong desire to change the course fate had set. He couldn’t change the things he had done, but he could try to keep Cecil from making the same mistakes before it was too late. For Cecil’s sake.

“You two are getting along quite well. I always knew she liked children,” Kohaku joked, the first sign in days that his old self might be returning. Finally, he had his mind on other, more distracting things. “Once you’ve finished feeding her, there’s something I need to speak with you about.” His eyes became more firm, showing that whatever he needed to say was important.

Anon

Character Info
Cecil glanced at Kohaku's direction when he heard the joke. He glared slightly, but there was something different in the fox than before since Cecil returned. Days ago, there was no joking, no smirks. The fae figured it had something to do with the way the fox felt towards him for how he handled the situation. It felt as if Kohaku did not approve of any grieving time, that he should have held her silently in his heart, but move on to smell the roses the next minute.

"Why does he do this to me?" 'Oh, my sweet Jade… He is… different.' Cecil shook his head at the memory. Something about Nelanna was causing the forgotten to return, yet it did nothing but make his heartache. His mother's words did not pertain to Kohaku, but of his father. "Get off it, Kohaku. I'd rather not get into a pissing contest with you." He had returned to brushing the mare's back when Kohaku began speaking again, his voice firm. Once more, Cecil turned his gaze to the familiar, finding the firmness almost unsettling. What did he want this time?

The fae patted the mare's neck, listened to her snort and smiled. "Ya, I thought so too," he murmured to her before leaving her to eat as she told him to. Cecil returned the brush where he got it and approached Kohaku. He stopped a few feet away from the fox, his arms similarly crossed. "You have my attention. What do you need?" While Cecil wished there was more disdain in his voice, he couldn't summon it. Instead, he sounded tired and apprehensive. Wasn't it enough that he was recuperating from losing his love, reuniting with her, and being an emotional woman underneath this facade of a face?

Nelanna Fox

Character Info
Kohaku waited patiently for Cecil to finish brushing Jade Vine, watching the Fae work until he finally had his attention. Kohaku glanced away, looking off as if he was watching something Cecil could not see, an old memory. Then he took a soft, deep breath, and looked back at Cecil once he gathered the strength to finally speak.

“You remind me of a man I once knew,” he began, unfolding his arms from over his chest and resting his palms on the hilts of the katanas that rested on either hip. “He was born during an era of war in a poor land, and lost his father tragically, just as you had lost your mother. Granted, his father was a foster parent. His mother died shortly after his birth and his real father ditched him. But his foster father, he was there when he needed him, gave him comfort, warmth and love. He was no less a father than a real one.” He paused to look up at the sky, then continued, “After his father's death, he forgot how to love, and became almost entirely empty. He started doing terrible things, but couldn't bring himself to care. Until one day, he met the daughter of an Emperor.”

There was a small hint of a smile as he recalled the memory, finding it difficult to keep talking instead of allowing the memory to take over and cut him off from reality. “She changed him, and for the first time, he fell in love. He was needed, desired, cherished and loved. It was the best feeling he ever felt, and it made him a better man. He would have done anything for her, anything at all. She gave him reason to fight, reason to live. He felt his own life wasn't enough to repay her for all she had given him.”

“But then…” His eyes met Cecil's, looking surprisingly hollow. “She was taken away from him, killed before his very eyes. He handled the weight of her death poorly, locking himself away from others, putting his health in jeopardy, and as time went by, his mind rotted to become filled with hatred, and he became a bitter man.” He rubbed his hand through his hair, placing the other on his hip as his eyes shut briefly, almost nonchalantly. “For a long time he wondered why things happened the way they did, and he began to hate himself for becoming the person he became. But no matter how deeply he wished it, he could never go back and change the things he had done. His pain finally taught him a valuable lesson he'll never forget.” His eyes opened to look back at Cecil intensely, but he remained silent for the time being.

There was no way Cecil could tell that Kohaku was telling his own tale, he wasn't ready for fairy boy to know that yet. It wasn't easy for him to tell it in the first place, but he deeply hoped Cecil would learn something from it. Looking at Cecil really was like looking in a mirror, except Cecil still had a chance to take a different, better path.

“That man can never change what he has done and what he has become, and he can never get back what was lost. He failed to protect the woman he loved, and failed to learn from his mistakes until it was far too late,” he finally said. “You, Cecil, still have the chance to avoid going down that same path. You were spared the pain of losing Nelanna for good, and was given a second chance. This time, if you don't wish to lose her for certain, then you must become someone who can make sure she will never be harmed. If you can do this, then you won't spiral into the hell that poor excuse for a man had gone to.”

He removed one of the sheathed katana from his belt, the one Nelanna had bought for him, and tossed it over to Cecil. Then, he gripped the hilt of the other katana, preparing to unsheath it as he watched Cecil with a small smirk. “If you draw that sword, then you are swearing that you will do what it takes to protect Nelanna. I can teach you how to protect her with a weapon, since you are practically useless as you are now.” He paused, then his smirk grew into a grin, “Are you willing?”

Anon

Character Info
Of all things that could have come out of Kohaku's mouth, hearing about who or what Cecil reminded him of was the last thing he expected. At first, Cecil listened with the same, tired expression. Was the familiar truly trying to compare Cecil to this man? There was so much that was different between them already, unless the child was also abused by his parent's mate? But the biggest difference would probably be that Cecil had not turned to doing terrible things, but instead ran away.

Everyone had their own mechanisms, he supposed, but … Wait, was that a… A smile? Cecil allowed himself a small, fleeting smirk, believing that he managed to glean a small major secret. It wasn't just any man he was referring to. Carefully returning his look back to that tired expression, Cecil began to earnestly pay attention to every word. It truly sounded that he had found his own Nelanna, a true love of his own. Honestly, his heart felt for the fox, for this story was bound to not have a good ending if it was in comparison to himself.

The way Kohaku looked at him, Cecil found it difficult to remain looking almost bored. He had never felt so sad for someone like this before. It was as if he was looking into a mirror of a future self, if Nelanna really had been dead and he had finally stopped outwardly grieving. It was almost frightening to entertain that idea. Soon enough, Kohaku's reasoning for the story became clear, showing some desire to somehow save Cecil from making the same choices. This time, Cecil closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose. Too many implications were too numerous to follow every strand of thought just yet.

For now, he just had to concentrate on answering the questions. "One cannot just overcome such pain so quickly. Given enough time, I would have recovered." But that wasn't the point of the story. Cecil's hand fell to his side, and while his eyes opened, they were still downcast and degected to the side. The sound of something in the air was what allowed the fairy to catch the blade after it was tossed. It was turned over and over in his hands as he examined the sheathe. "Once I killed that man. Then he came back and beat me bloody, cursed me. When I believed she was murdered, I turned his own power against him. While I can't say I feel pleasure in what I have done…"

His eyes flicked up as a sly grin spread over his lips. "You're a fool to think weapons are enough against him. I learned something, though. Life is nothing without her." The sound of the weapon being dragged out of its housing suddenly filled the air as Cecil tossed the sheathe to the side. "For Nelanna…" Cecil gripped the blade in a ready position. "There's nothing I wouldn't do!"

Nelanna Fox

Character Info
At first Kohaku was led to believe that Cecil wasn’t even listening to his story, but that belief was short lived. He shrugged nonchalantly. “Perhaps. But you weren’t showing much promise. Everyone has their limits,” Kohaku said with a small hint of a smirk. “And I do believe you reached your breaking point.” In truth, Kohaku wasn’t exactly the best example when it came to letting go of loss simply because it wasn’t his fault he couldn’t move on. The pain and constant reminder was the doing of a curse. But even so he wanted Cecil to see what could happen if he didn’t change things, if he made the same mistakes. Cecil had the choice to hold on, or let go.

“I am well aware,” he replied after Cecil spoke once more. “I know full well what he is capable of, so believe me when I say I know that a weapon is not enough. But it is a start, and it can be used to protect Nelanna from other potential dangers.” He grinned, “Besides, your arms are noodles, boy. It would do you some good to have a little work out. Learning the ways of the sword will help you in many ways.” He knew how much Cecil cared for Nelanna, and though he would never admit it to fairy boy aloud, Kohaku felt just as strongly towards her. Whether it is a result of their Master and familiar bond or not, he truly cared for her and wished to protect her at all costs. But he was not as foolish as he once was, and now understood that his strength alone was not enough. He needed Cecil’s help to protect her, despite how much he disliked the Fae.

He readied himself, face hardening yet a smirk still remained. “I am putting my trust in you, Cecil. Do not let me down.” He came at the elf with full force, beginning the lessons. Hours of training went by, the air filled with the clinking of metal on metal each time their swords met. Kohaku was a strict teacher, forcing Cecil to stand whenever he fell. He would not allow the boy to give in, no matter how much his muscles screamed for him to stop, no matter how much he panted or how much sweat dripped from his brow. And Cecil never gave up; his determination kept him going all day long, until nightfall.