Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Corval Basin > Virens Forest > Lost [O]
Nelanna Fox

Character Info
Name: Nelanna R. Fox
Alignment: TG
Race: Elf
Class: Former Warden of the Wilds
Silver: 407
    Nelanna Fox. A beautiful elfin maiden whom loved traveling. Ever since she left the farm and her adopted parents she wandered, only stopping to rest here and there but never settling down. The longest she had ever stayed in one place was no more than a month. It was impossible for one to travel so far and for so long without having to stop and stay somewhere, and sometimes a day or two just wasn’t long enough to rest. And during all of her travels she never had the need to use a map. Her intuition and free spirit was all she had to guide her, and it was all she needed. But now, she had finally found a place where her intuition wasn’t enough. This was the first time she had ever become completely lost, and the more she tried to free herself from this forest, the more she became entrapped by it. No matter how far she ventured, no matter how much she looked, her surroundings never seemed to change.

She groaned to herself, rubbing her forehead gently with her fingers in frustration. How could she have let this happen? She was foolish to enter the forest. Before she had wandered in she noticed how…unwelcoming it looked. But she wasn’t easily frightened and was too confident in her own abilities to get herself out and protect herself. She was often times intrigued by dangerous looking places and challenged them. Now, here she was. Lost, hungry, and completely vulnerable. Sure, she had a dagger that could be used for protection, but against bigger beasts it was useless. And this forest looked like it was home to such beasts. 

A crack somewhere not far off instantly made her turn her head, fearing the worst. But there was nothing there. Nothing that she could see anyhow, other than trees. She released a breath she wasn’t aware she had been holding, raising her hand to clutch her clothing above her pounding heart. For the first time in a long while she felt scared. Who knew what dangerous hid within this forest. Some were probably watching her from the shadows, waiting for her to let her guard down so they could attack. 

Nelanna shook her head, shaking the thought from her mind. This wasn’t over yet. She wasn’t giving up on finding her way out of there. This was when she had finally managed to remember she had a map rolled up in her bag. Feeling a wave of relief, all the while scolding herself for being so forgetful, she pulled the backpack off herself and opened it. She took out the map and unrolled it, her eyes scanning the picture of Revaliir for the forest she was in. Thankful she had bought the map from a traveler she had met in a tavern, just before entering Revaliir, and it was the best thing she had done. Now, she took a seat at the roots of a large tree, taking her time to look at the map, and hoping she could find the way out before something else found her first.

arcanum

Character Info
Name: LeSilve
Alignment: CN
Race: Aerkai
Class: Some dude
Silver: 1128
He moved like a shadow, dark, star-flecked robes quietly shimmering as they caught the increasingly rare sunbeam from above. Darkness encroached, but he had little care. The time of day had long stopped mattering to the man, same as the direction his feet might take him. He had purpose but, with little but the odd clue to go on, Frey found himself more often than not aimless… and oh, how bitter that fact made him.

In his practised way, he continued to move quietly, ears on the alert. A lack of caring concerning his current whereabouts did not preclude a lack of caring for his general well being. The forest had already proven far from friendly. Better not to let his guard down. Better not to get complacent, even though his own light steps had been his only company for minutes, hours, seemingly days even.

Then came a startling crack! from off in his distance, and he could have sworn his heart had stopped for a moment. Shaking his head at his own folly, he grinned behind his mask and started in the direction of the noise. Danger or not, it was the best lead he had for now.

It was barely a handful of minutes before he stopped abruptly at the sight of another - and indeed, so abruptly that he tripped over a wayward root and inelegantly caught himself in the nick of time, stumbling awkwardly back to his feet instead of tumbling completely to the ground. Catching his breath, he offered his company an innocent smile before remembering the mask he wore that hid it. Right. Still wasn't quite used to the thing. Whoops.

Then, he noticed the map. "Howdy," he greeted, absently dusting himself off as he spoke. "Lovely day for a traipse in the woods, aye?" he offerered as he plucked a leaf from his hair and casually tossed it away. "… You wouldn't happen to've been the one to cause the sharp sound of something snapping a few minutes ago, would you?"

… Because if it wasn't her - and it had sounded too loudly for someone fitting her frame, he'd wager - then something else was still out there, potentially nearby. Hm.

Nelanna Fox

Character Info
    Hours seemed to have passed before Nelanna finally managed to locate the forest on the map. Since she had bought it she never took a gander at it, so she wasn’t even sure where she was in Revaliir. But, eventually she had discovered some familiar looking marks on the map, so she was able to find her current location. How accurate it was, however, she wasn’t sure. But she was willing to risk it. Anything to get her out of this forest. It seemed to grow even more frightening my the minute. She constantly felt as if something were watching her, causing her to look around every few moments with growing paranoia.

But the one moment she decided to concentrate more on the map than her surroundings, she was approached. Almost jumping out of her skin with fright, Nelanna yelped as if she’d had been attacked, feeling as if her heart leaped out of her chest. She looked over to see that it was only a man, and she felt a slight sense of relief. But she was also wary. The man was wearing a mask, and being in such an awfully peculiar place made him look suspicious. But, with her dark cloak hiding most of her figure, as well as its hood hiding her face from the light she decided she didn’t look any less suspicious herself.

So, being the lady she was, she stood and dusted off her dress and acknowledged his greeting and question with a friendly smile. “I’m afraid that was not my doing,” she replied. “Are you lost as well?”

arcanum

Character Info
That he'd not been the only one startled worked a great deal toward assuaging the mage's nerves and soothing his embarrassment. Where he'd been tense just a moment ago, he relaxed some now, standing at ease - well, as much as he could, given her answer. If it had been her, then… One could only imagine what manner of creature was out there, lying in wait. At her own question, he shook his head. "No, not lost, I think, unless the woods have got a mind of their own - which I'd hardly rule out, I suppose. Mostly, though, just having a devil's time finding what I'm after, is all."

In any case, having no set destination in mind had its perks, apparently: he did not consider himself 'lost' all too often, these days. Wandering feet aside, mind you, he trusted his memory - or what parts of it worked the way they ought, at the least.

The mask had but a single visible eye hole, revealing the bright green of both pupil and sclera hiding behind it. Again, his gaze flickered down at the map, before looking back up at the stranger's face - or what he could make of it beneath that hood of hers. She, for her part, had admitted to being lost. Weighing his options, he came to an eventual conclusion:

"Suppose the gentlemanly thing to do would be to offer you help out of here, wouldn't it?" From his tone, it was easy to picture the way he was skeptically raising his brows behind that mask of his. "But I'm afraid I'm no gentleman. I've got a mite of business left in the forest, y'see, and I'd rather like to tend to it. Although…" And here, his tone softened, if briefly. "If you cared to tag along, I'd gladly see you out of here after the fact. Of course, I can leave you to your map, if you prefer." He shrugged, affecting nonchalance.

Then, distant and yet a little closer than the last time it seemed, another snap! sounded.

Nelanna Fox

Character Info
    He was looking for something? Out there? In such a mysterious place? The thought was almost amusing, but also suspicious. “I see,” she murmured half to herself. She was tempted to ask just what it was he was looking for exactly, but a lady never stuck her nose in someone else’s business. Usually if there was something worth searching for in such a dangerous place then it was of high value. She imagined it must be if one is willing to risk their lives to obtain it. With that coming to her mind she was even more curious, but she kept her mouth closed.

Instead, she decided to reply to his last words, a charming smile playing at her rosy red lips. “I don’t fancy being lost in this forest, so I suppose I’ll take you up on your offer.” She proceeded to pull her hood down, figuring that if she was going to be with him for a while she might as well introduce herself and show him just whom he was speaking to. It was the polite thing to do, and even if he wasn’t a gentleman like he claimed he wasn’t, she was a lady, and would act like one. 

With her hood down her fair skin, beautifully large turquoise eyes with long eyelashes, inviting, full rosy red lips, and luscious curly red hair were revealed. She rolled the map up and stuffed it back in her backpack, then made her way over towards the man, extending her hand for a handshake with a friendly smile. “Allow me to introduce myself. I’m Nelanna R. Fox,” she said. “I suppose I’ll be stuck with you for a while now, won’t I.” The question was quite rhetorical, and she hoped that with her tone it was obvious.

When she heard yet another crack, she spun her head in the direction of the sound, her previous paranoia returning. Something was out there. She could sense it. But now she was stuck with this stranger, whom she didn’t even know she could trust. But she had no choice. She had higher chances of making it out of the forest with him as her guide. She could only hope that he would find what he’s looking for before they become lunch.

arcanum

Character Info
Frey near flinched as she pulled her hood down, but not for the reasons one might have thought. He was taken aback, yes - indeed, she was beautiful, gorgeous as far as women went, and yet… it was those fiery red curls of hers that gave him pause, and for the wrong reasons at that. There were at least three redheaded women in his life he had known that he remembered - as much as his whirling memory of past friends and enemies and acquaintances allowed for the time being - and, well…

at the least two of them had been fiery, tempestuous creatures in their own way, and the third had been difficult to deal with in a different way altogether. A guarded glint in his eye, he couldn't help glancing away. With his mind the way it was, he'd no way of knowing if she was one of them, no matter that her name didn't ring any bells. He didn't trust himself to remember well enough… Which meant he most certainly did not trust her, either. But as far as traveling together went, he supposed he would simply have to give her the benefit of the doubt. For now.

"Well met, Miss Fox," Frey said simply, his voice quiet, reserved. "The name's LeSilve." Carefully, albeit discreetly, he gauged her reaction for any sign, any hint of recognition to the introduction. And though his amused smile hid behind his mask, it was evident now in his voice and in the way it subtly reached his eyes. "Perhaps you won't be stuck with me too long of a while. If the fates be with us, we won't need to tarry-" and there was the snap! "-…in this place overmuch."

Bristling slightly at the sound, he inhaled a calming breath, then whirled on his heels and began to walk in neither the direction of… whatever that Thing was, nor in the direction he'd come from. Instead, he veered to the left, off what little remained of the beaten path. "I want to tend to matters here, but I've no wish to take more of your time than need be." And so, to that end: "What I am, first and foremost, looking for is a rare herb said to grow here. Blue saffron - a cousin to ordinary saffron, but it does not require as much light and has vastly different properties." Glancing back over his shoulder just a moment, all the while ever mindful that something was lurking somewhere nearby, he shrugged. "You wouldn't happen to've seen any during your time here, would you?"

Nelanna Fox

Character Info
    Normally, if she had seen a man stiffen when they saw her beauty she would tease him a little, but she missed it entirely when this man had done so. Her mind and eyes were locked where the sound came from, and on instinct, she slipped her hand under her cloak and touched the dagger she kept hidden in an attempt to reassure herself. With a light sigh, she finally looked back at the man and smiled. “It is a pleasure meeting you as well, LeSilve,” said she, gathering her skirts and bowing a little in greeting.

Once she regained her posture -shoulders back, back straight, head high -she looked at the man with curiosity twinkling in her eyes. She didn’t quite trust this strange man, but she supposed he sounded sincere enough. She would feel much better if he removed his mask and showed her his face, but she couldn’t ask him to do such. Why would someone wear a mask to hide their face when they’re in such a mysterious place? Masks were used to conceal the wearers identity, but why here? Where no one was around? A thought occurred to her, and she instantly became more wary of him, but she forced herself to stay relaxed. 

Even when he’d explained his reasoning for being there, and what it was he was searching for, she didn’t feel any less suspicious of him. Though, her curiosity was somewhat satisfied. She figured he was searching for some riches that were hidden somewhere within the forest, or perhaps he was hunting for a rare beast that was worth lots of money. She imagined there must be such creatures there. But herbs? He was searching for herbs? Well, she supposed that could be a treasure of sorts. Depending on who wants it. 

And at his question, she began searching her memories with a thoughtful hum. Nelanna had been stuck in the forest for quite some time and saw a fair amount of plants, but she didn’t recall seeing the one he’d described. So, she shrugged slowly and shook her head. “I don’t believe I’ve seen such a plant,” she replied. “I’ve seen many different plants around here, but I don’t recall seeing any that resemble saffron. As for me joining you in your search, I honestly don’t mind one bit. As I’m sure you’ve already noticed, I was having some trouble using the map, whilst you seem to know your way. So staying close to you will give me higher chances of getting out of here.” 

She rested one hand on her hip, pulling her cloak back a little to show more of her hourglass figure. The dress she wore was a common one, and wasn’t very fancy or special, but it fit her body perfectly, showing all of her curves. But now her eyes were challenging, with her lips curved in an amused smile. “You do know your way around, don’t you?”

arcanum

Character Info
Frey bowed his head slightly in return as she curtsied, more so preoccupied with their surroundings than with formalities. Glancing back at his company just a moment, a light frown tugged at his brow. Her curiosity was hard to miss, though he could hardly blame her for it. Now leading the way, he kept his ears perked, certainly, though that hardly stopped his thoughts from wandering. Many a time he'd mulled over simply tossing the mask away, but every time he shirked it, things seemed to go sideways. Someone would recognize him and he'd panic and, inevitably, chaos would ensue.

Amnesia was a tricky beast of a burden, and the mask helped with that. It meant he didn't have to deal with it if he was not ready to.
But in other ways, the concealment was a shackle for, mask or no, his quest to regain his self had long ago consumed him and weighed on him no less in the here and now.

Perhaps he was simply not strong enough to move on. Looking instead forward, he took to peering about the roots of trees for his quarry. Best to focus on the prize. Nelanna's answer did not surprise him, but left his shoulders sagging the slightest bit with disappointment nonetheless. Slowing his pace just enough for them to walk abreast, he offered a sidelong wink. "I figured it couldn't hurt to ask." He listened, then, to the rest of what she had to say, and gave a curt nod.

"Of course I do," the mage replied with a huff feigning indignation, meeting her challenge head on - and again his grin reached his eyes. They twinkled with a mix of amusement and confidence both. "You can count on me for that, at the least. I've always been able to trust my 'internal compass,' if you will. Rather fortunate, really, as it's made exploring a tad more convenient. Speaking of exploring: you know now why I'm here… what, then, brings you to these thick woods, if I may ask?"

Nelanna Fox

Character Info
     Nelanna followed suit and started helping the man with his search. She herself knew a little about herbs, though she was a novice. But this saffron herb he was searching for didn’t even ring a bell. It must’ve been one she had yet to discover. Her ears swiveled a little when his voice sounded from behind her, and instead of turning towards him, she looked along the ground and roots of a tree for the herb. But she didn’t ignore his question. “I’m a traveler, you see,” she replied willingly. There was nothing wrong with her reasons for entering the forest, and there was nothing she had to hide. “I was venturing around the area when this dangerous looking place caught my eye. Now, being as challenging as I am, I sometimes welcome a little risk. So I wandered in.”

When she didn’t find the herb, she stood up straight and faced the man with a sheepish smile. “Well, you see what good that did me. I seem to have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew,” Nelanna chuckled then looked around for another moment, her turquoise orbs scanning the forest floor of this blue saffron. “Since we both seem so curious, fancy a game of questions?” Her eyes slid back to him, a challenging smile growing on her beautiful features.

The question game was always a good way to learn more about someone. And when it came to seducing a man, it was fun as well. But this one…she only wished to know if she could trust him enough to turn her back towards him. Another distant crack reminded her that he wasn’t the only thing in this forest she should keep her eyes on, but a snap soon followed, sounding as if it were right behind her.

She felt a chill run down her spine as her blood ran cold, and she spun around as quickly as she could. But there was nothing there. She gulped, wondering if there was something there that could not be seen by the naked eye. Or perhaps, it may have just been the normal sounds caused by the forest. She wouldn’t be surprised if that were the case as well. Whatever it was, it had her spooked, and she found herself inching closer to the man. She didn’t know if he’d try protecting her in a moment of peril, or if he’d just run to save his own hide. But just knowing that she wasn’t alone, somehow put her at ease. At least a little.

arcanum

Character Info
He nodded in understanding. Nothing wrong with a little risk. As a fellow traveler, he could see the appeal. Sometimes the payout was more than worth it and you wound up finding a great deal more than you were expecting. Sometimes that meant treasure or tales to keep or to tell, but to remember either way. And sometimes that meant people, who might wander their own way, never to meet again, or who might come to be of great importance in each other's lives. Fate often worked in strange ways, and Frey had long ago given up questioning it.

Her suggestion of a game was more than enough to pique his curiosity. For a moment he simply stood, head tilted in consideration, and it seemed he was about to give his answer when came an interruption. At the noise, he whirled around to face Nelanna, and there he caught only a shadow out of the corner of his eyes, flitted away too fast for him to catch aught other than a mere glimpse. But it was gone for now, as far as he could sense.

"Looks like it knows we're here, and doesn't care if we know." From the tone of his voice, he was sure he didn't have to say it out loud: be on your guard. Perhaps if it thought they had been lulled into a false sense of security… well, either way, he intended on being ready for its next strike. Gaze hardened, he set out again, his steps more determined than before.

Still, that didn't stop him offering up a shrug and a moment's whimsy: "Hmm. I think a game sounds lovely right about now. Care to go first, show me the ropes?"