Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Corval Basin > Plains of Bohar > Heartless Words [P][R][Event]
Dala

Character Info
Name: Dala
Alignment: CG
Race: Human
Class: Student
Silver: 11882
There were so many people desperate to send letters to the warzones. Nobles would pay whatever price they could to get their letters to loved ones. As for the poor, many of them couldn't afford to send their letters so they would perform labor tasks instead. Dala wasn't completely heartless, so for the ones who were poorer, she was trading for items instead. Items like seeds, food, or even just old clothes nobody uses anymore. Every resource was valuable to Dala. A child like her couldn't afford to waste anything. There were more children like her. The amount of homeless kids was growing due to the war. On every street there was at least one child beggar. Begging wasn't something that Dala could do anymore. There were too many wide-eyed beggar kids to compete with. So Dala decided to find another way to earn money and continue her own survival. Delivering letters to a war zone was dangerous but it paid well. Besides, danger was lurking around ever corner. What was the difference between a giant monster and a murderer from the streets? They both were going to kill. Both were stronger than Dala. 

The path to the warzone was relatively safe, as she was coming from Adeluna, which was far away from the path of the monsters. On the way there, Dala was stopped by an old farmer who was travelling down the road. Dala had her knife ready in case the man was a threat, however he quickly put her at ease by showing he could use magic. Which was apparently something that the shape-shifting monsters couldn't do. After Dala put her knife away, the old man began to warn her about the battlezone and told her not to head that direction. 

"I know about the monsters, obviously." Dalla said putting her hand on her hip, "I'm just delivering letters to the battle camps and the people there. I'm not gonna do anything stupid." 

"Wait… you are sending letters to the warzone. Perhaps you could send a letter to my daughter? Her name is Dolores and she is one of the archers." The farmer practically begged, "I could pay you whatever you want. Just please, I need this letter to get to her. If she were to…if something were to happen to her and I didn't get to speak with her beforehand I…" 

"Fine." Dala said with a huff, "I'll take the letter. In exchange I want your hat."

"My…hat?" The farmer asked confused, "You sure-"

"Yes I'm sure." The child interrupted, "So do we have a deal or what?"

The old man agreed and handed the hat along with the letter over to Dala. The hat was merely a straw farmers hat meant for blocking the sun. Dala put it on her head and put the letter in her satchel. She had chosen to take nothing more since the old man was obviously poor. His cart was made out of splinting wood, his clothes were torn, and he had baggy eyes. Dala knew that somebody like him couldn't afford to lose any more money, especially with a war going on. She continued walking and eventually came across the battle camp. The camp was surrounded by guards who were tasked with security. Chompers could change their form and many other Eldritch beasts had tricks up their sleeves, so they had to be careful. Everybody who came in had to prove their identity in some way. Either by using magic or by using a form or something, the child wasn't aware of all of the details. She walked up to the guard and held out her hands. A small light appeared from her palms and summoned a ball of mud. The child then dropped the mud and walked through security, heading inside the camp. She went through her letters, counting them while she was there. Ten were in her bag at the moment so she had to deliver them to ten different people, if they weren't dead already from the war. 

Nelanna Fox

Character Info
Name: Nelanna R. Fox
Alignment: TG
Race: Elf
Class: Former Warden of the Wilds
Silver: 407
This is her first taste of a real war. The flaming haired elf could not keep herself from joining the rest of Revaliir on the battlefield. Horrendous monsters spawned from the unknown and spread onto their lands and took the lives of their people. This is exactly what Nelanna had feared might happen one day. Innocent lives being taken by evil beings that only grew in numbers. But it was the fear of being unable to stop it that froze her blood and chilled her bones. As the Warden of the Wilds, and a strong believer of justice, Nelanna threw herself onto the battlefield. Camthorn came along with her and together they built a campsite. Both are knowledgeable with battles, although neither had witnessed the true sights of war. Nelanna currently focused on the aftermath by healing the injured men brought in from the fight. Her stomach churned when she set her eyes upon the injured. Some would be fine, but the unfortunate received lifelong scars that would change life as they know it, while others could not be saved. Each death made her heart shatter more, and deep down, anger boiled. Camthorn was comforting and would offer her any aid he could. It was plain as day that he, too, was greatly affected by the results of this war. But healing was not his specialty. So instead he focused on arranging their troops and thinking of battle strategies.

Kohaku was the only one that was unphased by everything. His eyes gazed calmly at the injured as they’re brought in, and his nerves were unshaken with each one he helped heal, and each that weren’t fortunate enough to survive. Even through their bond she could not find any hint of anger nor sorrow. Only slightly hints of remorse, and acceptance. It had surprised her to see him unmoved, as he is normally very compassionate. But she managed to remind herself of the most horrifying fact: Kohaku was once a manslayer, and a royal guard. He had experienced countless wars during his lifetime, witnessed numerous deaths, and even killed many with his own sword. This is what he is used to. She supposed it is only natural that he became accustomed to it. But, even though he showed no signs of being phased, she began to wonder just how deeply the blades of war had cut into his mind. How traumatic it must have been for him during his earlier years as a child to witness death on every corner. It was then that she realized that her familiar must be greatly damaged. Her heart ached for him.

Nelanna emerged from the recovery tent with a heavy sigh. Camthorn was standing at a table with a map of Plains of Bohar. His honey brown eyes were gazing down at it intensely as she walked up. Kohaku was standing nearby, arms crossed over his chest. His eyes were watching the horizon with a distant look in them, as if he were lost in thought. But a single ear was facing her way, suggesting he was listening to anything important that might be said. She looked back at her brother, “How is it going?”

Camthorn b
linked a few times, appearing caught off guard. She must have disturbed his concentration. He looked at her and straightened himself, arms crossing while his head tilted slightly. “As smoothly as you would expect it to go with someone as inexperienced as me,” he said with a sheepish smile. Nelanna placed a hand on his shoulder reassuringly, “Perhaps I can offer some assistance. What are you looking at?”

“I was-“

“It won’t work,” Kohaku suddenly cut in. Camthorn bristled and roughly put his palms on the table, “I didn’t even finish speaking!” Kohaku calmly looked at Nelanna’s brother. “I have been hearing you muttering your ideas to yourself for the past twenty minutes. By now your conclusion is quite clear,” he replied smoothly. Camthorn’s brow twitched, and Nelanna could see his lips starting to purse out a little. She smiled with amusement. “Fine then,” said her sibling as he straightened himself once more. A single gloved finger pressed onto the map, “Why don’t you come up with something better.” Kohaku sighed and shook his head, “This is your camp, remember? As its commander, it is your duty to lead your men to victory.”

“Perhaps, but what harm could a little advice from an experienced, strong, and wise fox do?” Nelanna jumped in, smiling at Kohaku. She knew she had caught him off guard with her compliments. Their bond said as much. His brow twitched with annoyance. His expression made it clear that he knew exactly what she was trying to do, but even so, he could not hide the swelling of pride that he felt from her. Finally, he caved with another heavy sigh, “Very well.” He walked up to the table and sat on the edge, twisting himself slightly to see the map.

He began, expression calm but serious. It was as if he snapped into leader mode. It made Nelanna question how many times he’s done this, planned and strategized the best course of action that would lessen casualties among their men. By the end of their meeting Kohaku had displayed astounding experience. Within a short amount of time he had thought of a sound battle plan and executed it. It came to him so easily, as if the battlefield is where he belonged…

But she had one issue with his plan. He would not allow her nor her brother to join their forces in battle. How could he expect her to stand by and do nothing while her men are out there risking their lives? A leader should not hide behind their castle walls. They should fight alongside their people as equals. She was sick and tired of being so useless, making no changes to the world while it only got worse. No more. Nelanna respected her familiar’s wishes, but she would not listen. He is the familiar, after all, not her.

She took Fenrir and Garm and suited herself up for battle with daggers strapped to her thighs, in her boots and gauntlets, and along her waist. But as she tried to sneak out of her tent, someone grabbed her hand from behind. “I recall telling you that going out into battle it not a good idea,” said Kohaku firmly. “You do not understand the dangers that are out there, and the things you will wish you had never seen.”

“This land needs my help. I am not a coward whom runs from a fight. They challenged my home, and so I will push back and show them what a mistake it was for them to come here,” Nelanna spoke sharply. Her patience was wearing thin. “Don’t play that card with me,” his hard tone caught her off guard as his grip on her hand tightened, “There is a difference between cowardice and wisdom. Throwing yourself out there is reckless, and selfish. Have you thought about Cecil once and how this will affect him?” Nelanna flinched at her husband’s name, but she did not offer any reply. Kohaku took that as a chance to continue, but using a softer tone this time, “You are not doing nothing, Nelanna. You are healing the injured here. I know you believe that it is not enough, and you might even think you can lessen casualties if you added your hand in battle. But it isn’t true.”

“I am a Champion,” she replied lowly, clenching her hands into fists as she struggled to control her rising frustration. “What I am doing is not enough. There must be something more I can do.” Kohaku stepped closer and loosened his hold on her. Glancing over her shoulder, she could see only tender understanding in his eyes, but a sad smile upon his lips. “All of us can do more, regardless of our position. But whether or not it is what’s best is not always certain. Sometimes, it is enough to stay back and just be there for the weak, rather than take on the strong. It is the little things that can surprise you with the difference it can make.” Nelanna blinked curiously at Kohaku, and he stepped closer until she could feel his breath on her ear. “You are a Champion, but that does not make you any more immune to death than the rest of us,” he spoke so soft and gently, and it was as if that alone was enough to relax her tense muscles. He placed a feather-like kiss upon her cheek, and then the warmth of his hand on hers was gone.

She was stunned by the gesture for many heartbeats, frozen in place. But when she managed to gather herself to spin around, there was no sign of him anywhere. She raised a brow and rubbed her cheek where he kissed her. He didn’t…did he? No, he couldn’t…right? She started walking back towards the table where Camthorn was still standing. “Are you alright?” He asked, cocking his head to the side. “You look like the world's biggest secret has been revealed.” She blinked up at him and smiled, skating her head. “I am fine,” she assured him. Right now, she needed to focus on the battle. Her eyes drifted towards something past Camthorn as she noticed a new face. There was a child in their camp. Her heart shattered as memories of a recent night flooded through her mind, and without any real thought, her feet took her to the little girl. “Excuse me, may I help you with something?”

Dala

Character Info
The camp was filled with soldiers and other adults who were busily minding their own business. This was the second battle camp that she had seen but it was far different than the one in Onnen. The tents here were white or gray with small entrances that were opened by pieces of rope. There were a few colored tents that were meant for the wealthy, the nobles, the leaders, and whoever else had enough importance to deserve such things. Horses were tied to fences to keep them from running off but they were the only animals around the area. Even birds were long gone, probably due to the monsters or something. Dala pulled out her first letter and did her best to read who it was addressed to. Then she began wandering around, calling out the name until somebody responded.

“Ben Wallace?! Is there a Ben Wallace here? If anybody knows a Ben Wallace, let me know!” Dala shouted out as she looked around the camp for somebody who might match the name.

She was imagining a skinny man with floppy hair, so she was surprised when a large smith man stopped hammering some metal from his smithing station and called out to the child.

“You’re Ben Wallace?”

“Yep. Watcha need?”

“Your wife gave you a letter. She also said that if you died, she would personally resurrect you and kill you again.”

Instead of being terrified, the man let out a chuckle, as though that kind of response was normal.

“Ah at least I know she’s worried. Ha.” The smith said taking the letter.

Dala didn’t wait to see his reaction to the letter, as she had nine more letters to deliver. Her payment was already given beforehand so she didn’t have to wait for anything. The child was just about to pull out another letter to look at before a stranger approached her. Instinctively, Dala reached for her dagger and held onto it, though she kept herself from drawing it from her sheath. The child wondered when an adult would start asking questions, especially since Dala wasn’t exactly dressed well either. Her shirt was covered in stains, her trousers had holes at the bottom and she had no shoes. Despite her poor clothes, she was surprisingly clean and her hair was combed. Most had probably assumed that she was a refugee and thus left her alone. The child released her grip on her dagger and pulled out a letter to look at it.

“I’m looking for somebody named Evelyn Johnson.”
She said to Nelanna, “Do you know anybody of that name?” 

Nelanna Fox

Character Info
Why was a child on the battlefield? Nelanna glanced around for any signs of this girl’s parents, but none could be found. She briefly looked over her, taking in her tattered and old clothing. Was she an orphan? Nelanna’s heart ached. The motherly side of her wished to take the girl in her arms and care for her herself. The loss of her unborn child had made her more desperate, but it was not a wise decision to be so desperate that she would take in a random child. She would need to know more about the girl’s situation, and to think more clearly and even speak with Cecil.

She shook her head to herself. What on earth was she thinking? She smiled softly at the young girl with a hint of sorrow in her eyes. “I am sorry, but the name does not sound familiar to me,” she replied, then smiled sheepishly, “But, that may be because I have yet to meet everyone. I have been rather busy. However, my brother might know something. Come.” She waved her hand to beckon to the girl to follow as she made her way back over to where her sibling stood at the table. “Camthorn,” she called to him. He glanced up with a questioning hum, but as his eyes laid upon the young girl, she furrowed his brow. “What is a child doing here?” He asked. “She is searching for someone. It seems she has a letter to deliver,” replied Nelanna.

“I see,” said Camthorn. His honey brown eyes softened and he leaned his back against the edge of the table, arms crossing over his chest, “Who is she looking for?”

“Evelyn Johnson.”

He blinked, and silently glanced up silently with a thoughtful hum. “Yes, I do recall a woman by that name. I believe she joined one of the scout patrols along the border with Virens Forest. She should be back soon enough,” he replied. “In the meantime, why don’t you remain by Nelanna’s side? It is very dangerous out here, and I can guarantee that my sister will take good care of you until you are able to leave.” Nelanna froze by her brother’s suggestion, eyes wide with disbelief, heart stopping for the briefest of moments. “M-me?” She stuttered, voice cracking as she struggled to regain her composure. He nodded, “Is that alright?” Nelanna wanted to say that it wasn’t, fearful of getting too attached to the girl. He knew she wanted children, but she never told him about the miscarriage. Only Kohaku, Raziel, and Ensarrian knew, so she did not blame him for being unable to notice her discomfort. But, she could not run away from it forever. Whether she liked it or not, she lost her child, and she was to blame. She must learn to accept that and move on.

She straightened herself and forced a very believable smile. “Of course,” She chirped. Then, she looked back down at the girl, “Does this suit you as well? Miss Evelyn is only on a scout mission, so she should not be gone much longer. Are you willing to wait with me?”

Dala

Character Info
Dala did her best to hide her inner disappointment when Nelanna mentioned that she didn't know the name. But there was something else that the child notice. It was the hint of sorrow int he lady's eyes. Dala had gotten used to searching faces for any sign of emotion from adults since they always were trying to hide their reactions with invisible masks. The child guessed that she probably wouldn't be able to help but her curiosity got the better of her. Then the lady suggested that they ask her brother about the name. Dala, deciding that the lady seemed somewhat trustworthy, went with her to the table. When the man asked about what a child was doing there, Dala was about to retort with a sassy remark but Nelanna replied before she could.

The child allowed them to discuss the situation out as she began to focus on the surroundings, looking for possible escape routes in case the adults tried to send her to a safer place. She started to pay attention again when the man mentioned Evelyn being a scout. The child was half tempted to go out and find this scout mission but she knew that the adults would never allow it. Instead she watched as Nelanna's brother dumped the responsibility of Dala onto her, or at least that was how the child perceived it. Finally they both stopped talking and bothered to ask Dala about how she felt about the situation. 

"Yeah I guess." Dala said putting her hands on her hips, "But you will have to go around camp with me so I can hand out the other letters. I have a very important job and I can't just sit around while there is work to be done. Got it? And just so you know, I don't need any help."

She wanted somebody to come with her. But the little child was far too prideful to ever admit it. Dala could also use help, as calling out names wasn't exactly the most practical system around. The child then looked at Nelanna with a serious expression, as though the world depended on delivering letters to these people. As though everything would fall apart if they didn't receive them. 

"And before you say anything, these letters are super important!" Dala insisted, "These letters are from soldiers' friends and families. They will not only add a boost of moral to your troops but it will also give them a break. Not to mention…these might be the last words these people get to send to their loved ones. So they gotta get sent…..Uh not that I'm super soft or anything. I'm just doing this to get paid. Okay?"

Dala was clearly softer than she mentioned but being on the streets told her that only the tough people in the world survived. Acts of kindness were often seen as weak or foolish so she had to cover them up. Dala waited impatiently for Nelanna's response. 

Nelanna Fox

Character Info
Nelanna smiled softly when the young girl agreed to stay by her side. But, a small part of her heart was also chipped away. She was dooming herself by spending time with this girl. Focusing on the battle at hand, and her troops, was a good distraction that was holding her together. Just barely. But now she had to focus on this little girl… a child. Normally she would jump on the opportunity with excitement, but right now it was a painful reminder of what she had lost. And Cecil… Bless his heart. She knew it must not be easy for him, either. And now he’s alone at home, worrying that he may lose his wife as well. She could only imagine what that would do to him— no, she had seen what would happen when his father made him believe she was murdered. Cecil had lost his will to go on and drowned himself in booze, sleeping all the time so he wouldn’t have to be awake and deal with his misery. It had changed him so much. The images from that dream were still burned into her mind, a constant reminder of what would happen if she was not careful. She wanted to go home, to give him the comfort he needs— the comfort they both need right now. But she also needed to help Revaliir. Without it, there would be no home to go back to.

“I understand,” she finally replied to the girl. Naturally she was willing to aid in any way that she can, but the child seemed a little proud. That was alright, though. It means the girl is growing to be independent and strong. Nelanna could only hope that she wouldn’t become too proud to ask for help when it’s needed the most. Nelanna tilted her head as the girl started speaking once more. This time her tone sounded rather urgent, her eyes gleaming with determination. It caught the elf off guard. But it made her realize something. Even though the little girl denied being soft, it appeared to Nelanna that she truly was, albeit too proud to admit it.

Her eyes softened and she moved a hand over her chest, roughly gripping the cloth covering her beating heart. “Of course,” she agreed quietly, her voice soft as silk and sweet as honey. Once again she thought of Cecil, and wondered how he must be feeling while she is out here. Those letters might be the last words her troops get from their loved ones. Words spoken from a child should not carry so much weight. It struck her like a knife. This girl knew the dangers of war, as no child should. And…it made Nelanna wonder if she will get to speak with Cecil again. Finally, the weight of her actions was falling onto her, and she realized just how much truth Kohaku’s warning carried. She had been reckless. Jumping headlong into a war zone without thinking of the consequences. She was so desperate for a distraction, any reason to avoid dealing with the pain of her miscarriage, that she left Cecil all alone and could possibly have put herself in a position that could make Cecil a widower. But she couldn’t leave now

She needed to speak with Kohaku and apologize. He should know what to do. Nelanna shook her head the second she felt tears welling up in her eyes and tried to brighten her smile. “So, who is next to receive a letter? We can go around camp to see if they are here.”

Dala

Character Info
Dala was surprised at the lady's response. She was expecting a lot more anger and a lot less compliance. Most people would ignore her or see her as a lesser person, regardless of what she said. Suspicion ran through her mind but she decided to ignore it for the time being. There was a job to do. Looking through her satchel, she found the letter addressing to somebody named Allen Jerisco. 

"Well the first person we should be looking for is Allen Jerisco." She said, "So lets get going." 

The child left the area, expecting Nelanna to follow, and headed towards the path through the camp. She noticed that Nelanna was barely holding back tears. A small bit of panick went through her mind since she didn't know what to do to make it better. The child was great at pissing people off or making them feel terrible but when it came to bringing happiness, she was awful in that area. 

"Allen Jerisco!" The child called out as they walked, "Is there an Allen Jerisco here?"

It didn't take long before a man sitting on a bench waved them over. Dala rushed over to him and handed him the letter. The man opened the letter and read it, beginning to smile a little before looking at Dala and Nelanna. 

"What's a kid like you doing here?" He asked, 

"Sending out letters, obviously." She said sarcastically. 

"No I mean what's a kid like you doing out on the battlefield?" He asked, "Shouldn't you be home with your mom or something?"

"Well I don't have a mother in case you couldn't tell." The child quickly responded, her annoyance clearly increasing. 

"Ah that's a shame." The man said trying to be nice, "Your mother shouldn't have left you. Its not very motherly of her, is it?"

At that last response, rage flew through the child's mind. Her fists clenched up and her eyes narrowed at Allen. She looked as though she was about to punch him in the face, but she didn't. 

"Don't ever blame my mother for that!" She shouted at him in rage, "My mother died of a disease before this stupid war! And you cannot blame her for that either! My mom was an amazing, talented, kind woman. Her body may not have held up against the disease but you can't blame her for that. Never blame a mother because of bodily functions! Come on, Lets go." 

Before the man could apologize, Dala had stormed off, expecting Nelanna to follow. She was still filled with rage at the insult that the man had thrown towards her mother. Everything that had happened wasn't her mom's fault. Dala stopped suddenly and breathed in and out. She was still angry but now she could focus a bit more. It also helped that she was further away from the guy. Reaching into her satchel, she pulled out the next letter. 

"Next letter is to a Lila Greford." Dala mumbled.