Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Corval Basin > Plains of Bohar > Experimental Culling | p.r.
Neveah

Character Info
Name: Neveah
Alignment: TE
Race: Vampire
Class: Sorcerer
Silver: 1618
The removal of a majority of Neveah’s memories had gone as well as could be expected. The vampire knew there were holes when she tried to remember the full story of her life, but this brought her comfort. These voids of darkness were a gift to free her from the chains of sadness that had been weighing her down. She no longer suffered from guilt or even disappointment. The memories that were left had been intentional. Neveah knew she would never be able to properly thank Nemesis but the fact it was early in his godhood, perhaps the first use of his divine powers, and the fear that poured from her in that condition helped repay him. The vampire also knew if the day ever came where the vaewolf needed something, she would not be able to refuse. Their past allowed her to accept this debt without pause. Lowered inhibitions and wilder mood swings were two side affects neither could have anticipated. Neveah’s impulsive nature amplified. The feeling of power that came with little regard for others meant she had no interest in telling the Kaiser that perhaps she needed to be reigned back. Veah already heard voices from time to time. Now, there was even less humanity to guide her conscious.

One morning an idea popped into her head. This was a completely new world, new possibilities, but she was still an elder vampire which meant there was an abundance of power within her - if only she could tap it again. Before the shift to Revaliir, magic flowed through her like a river and her ability to kill with stealth rivaled the best assassins. The redhead would have liked to believe everything remained the same but if she were wrong, it could be fatal. No, Neveah knew she needed to know the limits of her power and where new weaknesses may have blossomed. Specifically, she questioned what spells could she still cast without pause as her reflexes and combat skills would likely be there from muscle memory.

To execute this little experiment, the vixen began with some research on the right area to target. Ideally the vampire was looking for small, agricultural villages that did not utilize magic. Given her limited knowledge of the area, she had to rely heavily on maps and chatting with some local ruffians. Soon, she made a plan to get to the Corval Basin with nothing but a dagger, whip, and whatever magic she could muster. Large farms dotted the horizon but she spotted a small gathering of buildings, assuming it was the center of this rural town. The redhead paused for a moment and ran her hands through her hair. The tendrils shifted from her molten red to a mousy brown. She also shifted her eyes to a dark brown. She rubbed the top of her ears with her index finger and revealed gentle points in case she found herself among elves. The vixen started towards the town again before realizing a newcomer may raise some flags given the limited population. Her expression falter for a moment until she decided to take up residence in what looked to be an abandoned house.

On her first night of hunting, the predator stuck to the shadows. She prowled towards town, eyes darting all around. Soon she spotted two young adults wandered with their hands intertwined, lost in conversation. Evidently they wanted some time to get to know each other better. Veah watched as they snuck into a barn. The hunger and desire for chaos fell upon her like a midsummer rain soaking into parched soil. Her eyes dilated and her fangs throbbed. Instincts wanted to merely ambush them but the vampire pushed those thoughts down. Instead, she darted after them and quietly entered the barn. Hidden behind a mound of disheveled wood, the vixen’s gaze narrowed at the boy first. Neveah reached into the depth of her mind and willed forward a weakening curse. She pulled forward the magic to her hands, ‘causing them to tingle, then quickly opened her palms, sending it forward. With practice, she wouldn’t need to physically guide the spell, but the vampire was a little nervous. The boy began to cough and stumble away from his partner. He began mumbling something about not feeling well, suddenly weaker. A grin instantly formed. Again, she willed forward a spell but this time there was a soft hue of violet upon her hands. The redhead shot it forward and he collapsed to his knees. The boy’s skin became discolored and the blood vessels in his eyes exploded. Soon, life drained from his eyes and his date could no longer contain herself.

The girl’s shriek gave Neveah so much pleasure, she emerged from her cover. The girl spotted Veah and started screaming. With unholy quickness, Neveah closed the distance between them. She planted a kiss on the girl, who fought against the vampire. The vixen felt delirious from the girl’s fear. She pinned down the girl’s shoulders and willed several pain spikes through her. Neveah drank in her prey’s pain like water. “Pl-please stop,” were the only comprehendible words from the dying girl. “Okay my sweets, okay,” Neveah purred in response before baring her fangs and beginning to feed. The blood was by far the most delicious thing to grace her lips in months but she managed to pull herself away. She stood from her mess with pride before flicking forward a fireball upon them. Veah tossed a few more around before retreating back to her hiding area. Fire devoured the ball, removing all trace of what she had done, and Veah slept soundly with the satisfaction of how well her experiment was going.

ChozoBeam

Character Info
Name: Zakari Al'Kar
Race: Vampiric Humanoid
Class: Harbinger
Silver: 180
This world was a strange one, but it was at very least that: A world. What once was was consigned to oblivion, fading into nothingness to be forgotten by all but the sparse few who managed to escape armageddon. The Herald had managed to slip from that reality, now finding himself upon this strange new world. He had shifted worlds before, studying the cultures and moving on, but for the elder vampire, he had always had a home to return to, a family, a familiar world, a Queen. Most of those weren't a truth anymore, but he would not let that inhibit him. Everything had to happen in new steps, starting small and growing out. Zakari would be a new cancer upon this world, a terror untold. First step would be to regain the power that once flowed through his veins, something lost to the winds. He had pondered for many days just what it was that had happened. Had the ritual performed drained him deeper than anticipated? It was performed in a rush, but he was still careful. Experimentation and many bodies within city sewers later, the Al'Karian elder had his answer. Magic in this world was different, its structure, essence, the very way if flowed through the creatures that called it home.

Weeks had passed when a scent strangely familiar had dawned upon him. His memories were still hazed, his powers weakened, so exact recollection was impossible. Curiosity spiked, Zakari had set out tracking the faint fragrance. There were several point over the course of days he lost the trail, but luck seemed to be with the monster as it was not long before the trail was back, the smell stronger than ever. They were close. Come nightfall, movement would be possible again. Gods, how Zakari missed his magic that allowed him travel. More research would have to be done into such methods here, the vampire hated being confined to certain hours of operation. Standing tall, Zakari straightened his dark, fine clothing and set out. A blood curdling shriek split the silence of the night, albeit briefly, and a cruel smile formed upon the vampire's face. There was blood in the air now, and his fangs felt on edge. It would not be long until he needed to feed again. Perhaps if he acted fast, there would be a meal for him among the carnage that was doubtless about to flood forth. 

He approached swiftly, silent as a ghost. Then, everything hit him. The owner of the scent, and the acrid smell of smoke. His silent approach was broken by a chuckle. He stood, watching the blazing barn, allowing his quarry to retreat without further pursuit for now. Life in this world just got much, much more interesting. Once the blaze died down enough for the undead to approach the husk, Zakari claimed a quick trophy from the bodies before following the trail once more. He came across an old dilapidated structure. Perhaps someone once lived here long ago, but now it was just a shelter for things that went bump in the night. If he was correct, there was no need to put effort into stealth anymore. What he sought would easily detect him, especially if she had more time to adapt to this new world than Zakari himself. Once inside, he gave a quick glance around before entering further into the home, coming to a stop in the open passage to what now served as a lair, a bedroom for a monster of the night.

"Oh, come now dear sister. We both know you are not asleep currently, and the dagger you clutch won't be of any need. You should know I bring you no harm," Zakari stated, his voice slicing into the silence as he leaned upon the door jamb. While his physical form was different from last he saw his Blackbird kin, he knew his scent, the Al'Karian blood intermingled with their Queen's own would readily identify him. He stood as a tall man, handsome in features with some silver dusting the hair behind his temples, the rest of his locks a neatly groomed black. His eyes, orbs of liquid emerald, however, were the same no matter what form he wore. His garments were of fine make, something he had always put some effort into, and a dagger lay sheathed at his waist. A fanged smile found his face before continuing. "It is truly good to see you, Neveah. Doubt what you will, we are family in a strange and foreign land. Behind us lay a cataclysm of unfathomable proportions. I honestly did not expect many to make it out to another place, and yet, here we are, a murder of crows," His voice, while boasting the general amount of hubris and traces of subtle sarcasm, conveyed a genuine sensation as well. He was glad to not be utterly alone in the new landscape.

Neveah

Character Info
As Neveah prowled back to the abandoned home, her mind nearly wandered back to Daeluin. She typically did not allow such things but in that moment, she felt a semblance of her old self. The chaos gave her a sense of peace, allowing her to be almost whole. Though, Veah did not notice gaping holes in her memories, the voices were still there. Instead of the memory of her dead husband haunting her, it was simply a man. The woman was no longer her deceased angel sister but just another voice. It didn't help that for all intents and purposes, the vampire was alone. Nemesis had encouraged her to start again. He seemed to fail to understand that she did not want to try again. Before the Void, she had a successful brothel and a thriving black market operating through it to push her elixir. She had friends, allies, and a powerful guild. The vixen had even been blessed enough to be a Goddess for a while. Perhaps most importantly, her name meant something. Now, even Nemesis went by a different surname. Her entire life’s work was gone.

The vampire did not bother to latch the door to the abandoned home. Nothing in this town was scarier than her. She made her way to the washroom and poured some water from a vase into a bowl. Veah placed her hands on the rim of it and slowly warmed the water. Singing softly, she cleaned the blood off her face and cleaned under her nails. Then she pulled her hair back into a loose braid and made her way to the bedroom she had taken over. She carelessly tossed around clothes until she found an appropriate nightgown. Her singing shifted to humming as she untied and kicked off her boots and changed for the evening. There were only two things that came to mind that could have made her night better and sadly she would have neither. “Next time,” she mused to herself. The vampire placed her grandmother’s necklace on the nightstand along with her dagger. Before settling into bed, she went to the window. Emerald eyes gazed out to the sky, knowing daylight was not far behind.

She made her way to bed and felt the tension release slowly. The vampire was quite proud of how well her little experiment went and was excited to see what the future held. Neveah drifted to sleep quickly. Thump. Crash! Thump. Shatter! She looked down to see two bowls in broken bits. She reached forward and instead of seeing a hand, she saw a paw. She tried to comment but instead heard a meow. Her eyes widened with worry. The kitten scurried back and nearly fell off the shelf she was standing on. Suddenly her eyes snapped open, but not due to the odd dream. “Someone’s here,” she thought to herself. The redhead reached out and tucked her dagger below the sheet, the blade feeling cool against her form. Veah closed her eyes and simply waited with her back to the door. The anticipation was exciting.

Then her nostrils flared as her mind raced to place the scent. It was familiar but old, nearly forgotten. A male’s voice broke the silence. She turned around to see him. With a grin she set the dagger on the table. The vampire tilted her head slightly as she began to sort through her memories. Neveah was certain she would remember this man but could not place his form. It wasn’t until she connected his words with his scent and green gaze. “Zakari?” she questioned with a narrow gaze. “Always with the unnecessary theatrics,” she teased as she quickly rose from the bed. Her silver, satin nightgown glistened in the light as she closed the distance between them and placed her hands upon his face. “You’re still alive - how?” she asked with more confidence and curiosity in her tone. “It’s been years, please sit. I’d offer you something to drink but sadly, this is a temporary residence with none of the luxuries we’re accustomed to,” Veah began, motioning him to the two large sitting chairs.

ChozoBeam

Character Info
A chortle stuck in his throat, Brother Blackbird gave a flourishing bow in apology, his had rotating small circles. He was a thespian, after all, theatrics came naturally to him. "My apologies, dearest Neveah. Even in new worlds it seems I change not, well," Now the chuckle did finally escape "At least, not all of me." The elder tensed as she approached, not out of fear of the woman but a natural instinct he had formed here. He had not been met with kindness in some time, not since… No, that was a thought he did not need to bear on. His muscles did relax when he felt her fingers upon his face. In the past, the Al'Karian had been an antagonistic one, not many people lay outside the scope of his sarcasm and schemes, not until he had been reigned in by the Queen, adopted into the brood. He knew the fiery haired woman before him was not a natural Blackbird as well, also having been adopted into the family. He had teased her, certainly, most definitely had not been the kindest of siblings. The ever present mirth in his facial expressions faded, and for the first time in countless years a weariness formed in the vampire. Slowly, he raised one hand to touch one of hers softly. Kindred. Sibling. Sister.

Blackbird.

"There were many powerful magics in the old world, some I have used before. This is not the first world I have managed to visit, however temporary jaunts do not compare to being trapped, severed from the source of power, the well of energies." The green eyed man took a seat as invited while explaining. "Yet, I find this new home has a weird eldritch weave in place. Have you experienced just how strange the magics of this world taste? Judging by your work with the young lovers, you have recovered a modicum, if not all, of your former glory," Zakari left the statement hanging for a moment, reaching into a pocket and procuring the trophy he had snatched up earlier from the embers and coals. It was a charred lower jaw, from a young adult human. "My hunger grows, but I appreciate your offer's merit, despite circumstances. On the note of feeding, clever idea to hide such a feast in a barn fire, Nev." He had never  before witnessed his sister on a hunt or her methods. However, he had had to often discipline the new spawn, who were often reckless in their feeding, often bring a danger of discovery and inciting the masses against themselves or the family. Lost in memory, the elder vampire gazed for a long moment at the scorched bone in his hand before slipping it back into his pocket. "Perhaps, in the olden days, I would have danced around the subject, but times are different now, everything is different here. Neveah…" 

He trailed off, his voice lowered, just but a touch above a whisper. He knew his fanged kin would have no trouble hearing his hushed towns however.

"She lives still. Here, in these lands."

His green pools measured every inch of Neveah as he said this, looking to see her reaction, if any. While he had not explicitly said anything, the emphasis on the word 'she' should clearly convey just who Zakari had meant. There had been few people in his long time as an undead the man had truly cared for, the most primary being the Queen Blackbird.

Neveah

Character Info
Neveah could not have imagined in her wildest dreams that one of the Blackbirds would walk back into her life. Their leader, Azrail, had given up on life more or less. The blonde woman decided that she was done; her heart could take no more pain. She desired peace at last after a lifetime of chaos and deceit. Or, at least, this is what the vixen told herself to understand why the blonde chose not to come home one day. The redhead struggled to forgive her friend for this decision because it happened not long after the blonde had moved the clan close to a god that despised Neveah. It had been a reckless choice, putting the vampire and her daughter at unnecessary risk. Plus, Veah loved Azrail. Their relationship was tumultuous at best towards the end but their bond and loyalty remained even in the worst of times. With the leader of the Veil gone, Zakari made himself scarce and soon Ethan would wander as well. Only Neveah, Nemesis, and Amisi remained in the guild hall - and even their faith broke from time to time. Eventually Neveah and Nemesis would band together with a common cause: bring back the Veil and make the Shira name back to full glory, especially now that the Blackbirds had seemingly vanished.

Now, against all odds and logic, Zakari was standing before her. The new form suited him. She could feel his anxiety slowly dissolve. The vixen pushed out an intentional wave of pheromones to see if that would help more. Vampires used them on their prey all the time. Then she stepped out of the way for Zakari to take a seat. She waved her hand and all the candles in the room lit up. “You saw that, huh?” She chuckled, eyes lighting up at the jaw bone he presented. “Actually, that’s why I’m here. I wanted to test my limits and see what I can do. I plan on being here for a little while so can’t have corpses strewn about. The hardest adjustment has been deciding what exactly I’m going to do in this new life. I suppose I’ve felt lost, if I’m being truly honest,” the redhead added with a somber expression.

“I’m being a terrible host. I may not have blood infused wine but I did just feed.”She could assist if he was hungry. Veah did not allow most to feed directly from her. One of the enzymes in the venom vampires produced to subdue their victims seemed to react wrong and therefore the puncture wounds left small scars whereas any other injury leaves her pale skin unmarred. Instead of joining him at the other chair, she walked over to the bedside table again. She reached for an abandoned cup and her dagger. Neveah brought both over to the table, setting down the cup. She cut her forearm with the dagger as he began again. She then picked up the clay cup as he revealed what he knew. Veah’s jaw slacked while grip crushed the cup. Her emerald gaze remained on it for a moment before she could meet his gaze. “You would do well not to make jokes about such things,” she answered with a steely tone. “You must be mistaken - she didn’t even leave a body to bury, Zakari. I understand being in this new place is an adjustment but we musn't be delusional about such things.”

She released the shards of broken cup and dusted off her hand. The wound on her arm was still open but would heal soon. “If you would like,” Neveah offered with her arm extended, voice softer now. Surely, he just needed some time to come to terms with his new realty. She understood that more than anyone.

ChozoBeam

Character Info
"Not so much saw as observed the aftermath. I have been tracking you for some time, or rather, a memory I could not recall tied to a familiar scent," Zakari smiled from his seat, leaning back slightly, a small creak filling the silence as candle blazed to life. Shadows danced and wavered in the flickering flames. "While I know we have never fully compared pasts, let alone ages, I have learned one thing in this gift of everlasting unlife. My dear Neveah, you have an eternity at your fingertips should you not meet a violent end. Everything and anything is before you. You are beholden to no followers, and will outlast many around you, possibly even outliving your own memory in the world, disappearing into legend for some time. And in eternity, meaning is of no merit. You can devolve into a madness, a shell if you constantly pursue such ends. The only question you should fully concern yourself with for the long term is what do you enjoy? What brings a smile to your lips, a beat to your… well… I am sure you get the sentiment." It was uncharacteristic of Zakari to be so helpful, he had spent so much of his time being an annoyance to his sibling, ever indulging in his own goals and hedonism. Was Neveah behind this? Amusing, if so. There was much to do if the ancient vampire wished to get back into a state of power as security. He had taken orders only from the Queen herself, and even then he was typically given free reign to do as he pleased. "As for me, now that I have found the scent that has haunted me recently, I think I shall take to the underground for now. Perhaps one of the crime syndicates of this world could use a paradigm shift in leadership. That ought to be amusing. At the very least, it will be a feast."

Memory overtook him as his chair settled onto the floor fully once more, of when he was just an Al'Kar, the only of his line with no family. How he had played a tormenting game with a blonde vampiress within a dark, knotted twisted forest. Later he had heard of a birth of a new deity of deceit, and to his pleasant surprise the blonde had ascended. His rise to High Knighthood in her service, and entire mortals worth of memories it felt. When his experimentation had gone awry and he had been transmuted into an incoporeal mist, his regeneration. The Queen, the one creature he had cared about as much as he had cared about himself. "I have often said the best lie to tell is the truth. But, alas, no, this is no lie, no joke. Death cannot hold her, if her state then could be called as such. She resurfaces, and she feels the call of her children, as we feel hers. Perhaps it is faint as we aren't full Blackbirds, but it is there sister. Think, focus, feel for it. She returns, and she will find us, call out to us. The family shall fly again, however small the family may be." There was no mirth in his eyes, nothing but a determination. "When she calls, will you answer? I understand your situation with her was far different from my own." With a smile and a wave, he declined Neveah's offer. He had not fed upon another vampire's blood since his induction to the Blackbirds. "I appreciate the offer, but I shall hold until I can have some fun with the mortals who think they are the monsters in the night. They will come to know what true terror is, all of them. This world is going to change, shaped to our will."

Neveah

Character Info
Veah was glad to see her companion comfortable enough to relax. The idea she had been followed without realizing it did not sit well with the elder vampire. She wondered for how long and had he asked for help along the way. Neveah’s bright red hair and green eyes tended to give her away. For a while, she would change both to an espresso brown color so she would be more plain and forgettable. Then she grew complacent, figuring she would deal with any problems that may come her way. She didn’t get to where she was in life by being a coward.

“What an idyllic notion. You almost sound like Nemesis, but more.. bombastic,” she replied with a laugh and flippant hand motion. “He rules, you know, not just as a man but as the God of Darkness and Fear. He encouraged me to start anew. What you both fail to realize is, I did not want a fresh start. I had a euphoric brothel and thriving side business. Sure, Isleen was not speaking to me but she was healthy and blossoming into her full glory. The only thing missing was a partner. Now I’m here with nothing at all.” She shrugged and sighed, though the breath unneeded. She did not need his pep talk; the woman needed a purpose, a plan. The only thing she had going so far was a very powerful friend. The vixen needed to try to flourish without him. Her pride would allow her to fail on her own before taking help.

“I enjoy life’s pleasures but I’ve already done so much. I don’t know if I’d open a new pleasure house or even craft Nyctophilia again. Perhaps I’ll get myself a ship of sorts and explore the world for a while. I’ve always been a creature of habit, sticking to one major city.” Veah added musing aloud since he had asked what made her happy. She enjoyed sex, blood, and fancy events. Truly, she simply needed to marry into one of the powerful families of Vipamolan or Kurayo. Dismissing the thought, she chuckled at what he contemplating doing next.

The warmth from their amused contemplation about life grew icy at the topic of Azrail. Neveah dusted off her hands together then wiped it down her nightgown. The clay shards caused the threads to snag and rippled to mar the smooth satin. “How could you possibly know that?” she asked, biting back a growl. “If you knew that to be true, you would not be here alone unless she demanded so. Tell me, friend, did she send you to find me? I think not.” She waved her hand over the mess of dust and shards and suddenly they vanished.

Then she could not stop her anger. She slammed her palm on the table and met his gaze, eyes narrowed. “I am not your sister. I was never your equal. More precisely, Azrail did not make me. In fact, I would say in many ways I made her - but that matters not. Let’s pretend I believe you, if she were to somehow dance back into my life, I would welcome her, but not as a servant. I barely played that part before,”Neveah explained with pained laugh, recalling how much they hated each other at times.

“As you said, everything is different now.” Her tone lightened as she buried her anger down. It was disrespectful of Azrail’s memory lie to another member of the Veil. There was an understanding that within the group, there were no such things. They were bound to each other. Whatever cruel and evil things happened beyond their territory was fair game. Then when Azrail was gone, nearly all of them dismissed this vow. She had been the dangerous thread that held them all together. Frankly, if he thought he could manipulate Neveah, he was sadly mistaken. She had played more dangerous games with more clever people.

The vixen would not apologize for her words or her tone but she did offer herself as a sign of peace. She nodded at his decline and willed the wound to close quicker. Then she licked up the blood, unwilling to waste it. “If that’s the case, you’re welcome to stay here for a while. The game is How Many Mortals Can We Kill Before The Village Folk Get Angry: Unnamed Farm edition.”