Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Corval Basin > Plains of Bohar > Reliving Nightmares [P/R][Event]
Starchaser

Character Info
Name: Gideon Starchaser
Race: Half-Celestial
Class: Star Hunter
Silver: 12048
Their week in Adeluna had proved quite a profitable one. It turned out that he and Rynn really weren't half bad when it came to performing folk songs and telling stories. It helped that they had a lot of good stories to be able to tell, even if they weren't stories that the locals were familiar with. Maybe that was what had made them so interesting while they had been performing at the Winking Mermaid. 

Now they were heading north on a suggestion from the young man who helped run the Tavern they had been staying at. Dart had suggested seeing a friend in the Valley of Vada, who he was pretty sure could help them divine where they needed to go next. He had mentioned she was a clairvoyant, and a bard, one of the best he knew. The reasoning was that even if she couldn't help them find Jace, she could at least help them with some tips on performing to pay their way. 

So that was where they were headed. According to the map that Dart had given her, they needed to take the trade routes through the Plains of Bohar, through Laeto forest to the Valley of Vada. When asked how they would know when they had gotten to the Valley, Dart had merely laughed and assured them that they would know.

The sun was high in the sky, and all around them were sprawling farmlands. Far across rolling hills, they could see caravans spotted across the road. It was golden fields and hills as far as they could see, and even looking to the far north-northwest, you could barely see the grey peaks of the Chlio Mountains. 

Gideon adjusted the pack on his back. "Well, this promises to be a much nicer trip than trying to get through those mountains and swamps we came up through from the south," he commented as he stretched. "We have our pick of caravans to join, and I am sure that these farms will be more than willing to spare some food in exchange for labor or money if things become dire," he said. "And now, for once since we got here, we might actually get a lead on where Jace is."

Shadowfang

Character Info
Name: Rynn Alzrahi
Alignment: CG
Race: Celestial Draconian
Class: Dragon Knight
Silver: 1051
After the whole week in Adeluna, Rynn was more than ready to be back on the road.  It wasn't that she hadn't enjoyed singing and dancing their way into a journey's worth of profits, but she was itching to be back on the road.  She was never one to stay still for long, and it showed in times like this.  

As she took a massive breath of fresh air, Rynn was practically skipping across the path back and forth.  They're previous travels had taken them to some gloomy places, but now there were nothing but clear skies.  She absolutely loved it.  "Ahhh, I can't believe how perfect this weather is, Gideon!" she exclaimed.  "I'm so excited to be back.  And look!  Mountains!  I wonder if we can even fly that high?"  She turned to see Gideon walking close by. 

"Well, let's see if any of the caravans want company, then!  I normally don't like people that much, but I mean…it wouldn't be the worst."  She looked back to the sprawling fields, and took another deep breath.  "And it feels like we're one step closer to finding him too.  I just know it.  Whoever this clairvoyant is, I have a good feeling that it'll be our lead!"  She grabbed Gideon's hand.  "Well, let's get going.  Let's see if any of those caravans area headed near Vada!'  
Starchaser

Character Info
Turns out that thee was a caravan that was headed to Sularia that was due to pass through Vada on their way. In exchange they just needed to be willing to help when it came to setting up camp each night and other tasks. Compared to getting up in front of a live audience, that sort of thing was going to be a cakewalk for them.  Gideon liked the idea of doing simple guard duty. It had been a while since that sort of thing was expected, aside from just keeping an eye on each other. 

"It would be nice if this weather kept up the entire trip," Gideon agreed. "Great flying weather, if a breeze picks up," he said. He looked at Rynn and chuckled. "I don't know what we can expect when we get there," he said with a slight shrug. "I mean, Dart said that this… 'seer' was one of the best bards he knew, which means she isn't going to be some old crone," he said. 

Shadowfang

Character Info
Rynn let Gideon do most of the negotiating, which left her to enjoy the weather just a moment longer before going to work.  Although, Rynn barely considered the guard duty work.  If anything, this was nothing compared to what they had been through before.  "Well, I mean, she may be the best here.  I doubt she'd compare to Serah, or even Aunt Riz.  Although she wasn't a bard, I hear that my grandmother could do some amazing performances."  She let out a sigh.  "I guess none of those genes really passed to me.  Just mediocre at everything other than fighting."  Her mood lingered for a moment longer, and she shook her head.  "Ah, well, it doesn't really matter.  I don't need any of those talents."

The caravan consisted of three wagons in total.  One for a family, and two for a traveling merchant and his wears.  Although the merchant had his own guard, he seemed to welcome Rynn and Gideon on with no quarrel.  For the most part, it seemed as though everyone were getting along.  The family in the first car was small, consisting of only the parents and two children, an older brother and younger sister.  As Rynn followed the first cart, she made silly faces at the children, getting even sillier faces in return, as well as laughter.  

"I think this is going to be a fairly easy trip.  It's nice, for a change, instead of everything going wrong," Rynn said, blowing a raspberry as the children while crossing her eyes.  "Do we know how long it'll take to reach Vada?"

Starchaser

Character Info
Gideon chuckled. "Well, let's be frank, neither of your parents were on the shortlist when it comes to performing like Serah's was," he pointed out. It had been clear that King Rzek and Queen Rizka definitely were the ones that had the charisma in the family. While Rynn's parents, Lord Adin and Lady Tempest had been good looking people–their people skills were a bit rough. Mostly because both of them had rather volatile temperaments. Though, of the two siblings, Rynn had taken after her uncle more than she had her father.

"No you don't need those talents. They might help out a bit, but we don't need them at all," he said, making his own face at Rynn. This made the children she was entertaining giggle, and he continued to make faces at her from behind her back. If she looked back at him, he made himself look normal, or as normal as possible without making one of his goofy smiles to give himself away. 

"We have a bout five days on the plains, and then two through Laeto. We should be in Vada by the end of the week," Gideon relayed to Rynn when she asked.  "We might make it even faster if the weather stays nice like this," he said. "But according to our merchant friend, if it gets rainy, this area runs the risk of flash flooding that could delay us as long as the rivers are swollen," he explained.

Shadowfang

Character Info
Rynn let out another raspberry, and then looked back to Gideon.  "Well, we may be in a hurry, but it's not the worst if we have to wait a little.  And push comes to shove, we've flown through some rough storms.  We could probably manage it in short bursts."  With that, she turned her focus back to the children, and making her goofy faces, with the angel behind her making his own faces while she wasn't looking.

With the children happily laughing away, it seemed as though the trip were going smoothly.  As the day passed by, they stopped only a few times to rest the horses in the caravan and feed themselves.  Overall, the first day was nothing but a peaceful venture.  As the caravan pulled up on the side of the road near the end of the day, the children went off into the fields to play while the adults worked on setting up the camp for the night.

"Okay, Gideon.  I've got the stakes in, and the tent up.  How's that fire coming along?" she asked.  "The merchant…Arlo?  He said that he's got some meat that won't last the entire trip, and I got these herbs while we were in Adeluna I want to try."  Rynn came up to Gideon, "Well?"
Starchaser

Character Info
"Yeah, but I really don't want to have to wait longer," Gideon muttered under his breath, low enough that Rynn wasn't going to be able to hear him over the laughter of the children. He pushed the thought to the back of his mind and went back to making funny faces. 

When evening arrived and they set about making camp, Gideon set himself busy with getting the campfire ready so that the others could pitch there tents and get things ready for the evening meal. He made quick and efficient work out of it, and even had a spit ready for anything that needed to be cooked when Rynn came up announcing that she had finished their tent. 

"Fire's good and hot, so we can get that meat on the spit and cooking in short order. Cooking it will keep it good for a couple more days at least," he commented. He stood up brushing off his hands and he looked towards their tent. "Hey, look, you actually managed to pitch it right this time," he teased. For quite a while he had been forced to help correct her poorly pitched tents. Now, at least, it was serviceable and would actually fit the pair of them. "Its a shame your Uncle Xeik isn't around… he'd be able to whip up one hell of a meal with that meat and those spices. Oh well," he shrugged. "I guess I'll have to take a stab at it."

Shadowfang

Character Info
The dark haired draconian glared at Gideon for his remark on her tent pitching skills, but couldn't really argue his point due to her inability to actually be useful at a campsite past directing people and looking pretty.  Still, secretly, she felt a bit proud of herself for managing to do it on her own, without his help for once.

"Uncle Xeik made some amazing meals, didn't he?" Rynn reminisced, practically salivating at the thought of his specialties.  "Do you remember that one feast we had near the end of the third year at the Academy?"  This was after her brother had left, but still before the war had broken out.  There had been a large feast to celebrate the graduation of Aeolus' class, though Aeolus had chosen to stay with the school for awhile longer for an extended study and to help teach and lead his group.  "Xeik helped the staff make everything.  There was that amazing boar he did…Father even helped cook it.  And Uncle Rzek and Xeik made some Draconian delicacies…"  She shivered.  "Some of them, even with Xeik's help….I don't think they were fit for consumption…"  

She sighed, "I ate way too much that night.  We all did.  And then you and I had that moment on the lake shore, where…"  She glanced over to him.  "Remember?  It was like the stars were celebrating all of us.  They were dazzling in the sky, as if the celestial plane itself were offering its applause for everything we had done."  She glanced to the sky.  "The stars here….I can't feel them like I could at home…"
Starchaser

Character Info
"Those were good times. Even Jace was there that night. Of course, he couldn't say no to Aeolus' invitation," Gideon chuckled. At the mention of the Draconian Delicacy Debacle he faked gagging. "I think that was the only time I had something that Xeik had assisted in cooking that was inedible. He was a miracle working with a cutting knife and spices, but there was no saving the dish. I honestly think it was literally meant for a dragon's palate and no one else," he chuckled. "Your dad was a beast at the spit though. Never saw meat get cooked so perfectly so quickly."

"We ate too much, and probably drank too much too," Gideon laughed. Then his face got soft at the mention of them going down to the lake. "I was a bit drunk, but not drunk enough to forget that," he smiled. "You are right. I had never seen them so bright and expressive…  they were with us in celebrating one of the last times we would all be together in one place in happiness. It was as if they knew…" he trailed off, not wanting to finish that sentence. He glanced at Rynn and then up at the sky. 

"Give it some time, Rynn," he said. "Maybe the reason you can't feel them here is because you are reluctant to call this place home," he offered. "Maybe once we find Jace and make this place our home, you'll connect," he said. 

Shadowfang

Character Info
Rynn had enjoyed their conversation up until Gideon had mentioned that the celestial sky had probably known about the end.  It was true.  Although they had never properly met, Rynn's grandfather had warned them shortly after about the war to come.  More specifically, he warned Magnus.  After that, it all went downhill, spiraling into a chaotic war that brought an end to their world.

"Time, huh?" she said softly.  It wasn't that she wasn't giving the world time and consideration.  She knew it was deeper than that.  She couldn't settle down.  Ever since they had started moving, she hadn't been able to stop.  Rynn would never admit it aloud, but she was terrified of what would happen if she were to linger for even a moment.  Already, she had broken down once over Aeolus and the rest of her family dying off.  She was terrified that those nightmares would come to haunt her if she mulled on it further.  

The draconic celestial woman shivered as the temperature dropped.  The caravan had been nice enough to lend the two any additional sleeping supplies they may have needed in exchange for their help, and Rynn had taken advantage of it, curling up in a warm, foreign blanket.  It had been woven with delicate care, and Rynn couldn't help but admire the craftsmanship.  "Gideon?  If we found Jace…would you want to stay with him…with us?  I might be mad at him…but he's still my brother."  She paused, snuggling deeper into her blanket.  That's if he even wants to be in contact with me.  For all I know, he has a family now.  Staying with him might be impossible at this point.  She frowned at the thought, but that was more than a potential reality.

"Never mind," she said quickly.  "It was a stupid question.  For all we know, Jace doesn't want to be found.  It's a question that can be answered later."  She flushed, burrowing even deeper into her warmth.  "We should go to bed soon.  Tomorrow will be a busy day…"