Roleplay Forums > Character Activities > Character Journals > Words from the Grey World
Rayne

Character Info
Name: Rayne
Alignment: LE
Race: Rosenite
Class: Bodyguard
Silver: 103
The world is a fascinating place sometimes. Many are born here, live a little bit and then they die; they go through life without actually looking at the world around them. Poverty and war keeps the majority from seeking out their true desires and traps them in a sea of emptiness while the privileged few are able to enjoy merely glimpses of life thanks to their silver spoons and gold coins. It a sad existence on either end, but those that are lucky to get to look at and study the world and the wonders that it possesses are truly the blessed ones. I’d like to think that I am such a worldly scholar. There are many secrets that are kept in the shadows, many of which the masses do not wish to indulge in; well ignorance may be bliss upon them, before for a hungry mind such as mine, it need to be feed as much as possible. I wish to learn what’s hidden from the common eyes and my step in that of the infamous dark arts is but a start.

Many fear it due to misunderstanding and prejudice against it, despite the fact that such magic isn’t naturally evil. Had they forgotten that much of it has been used to resurrect the fallen, to heal the injury and to lift that of curses and hexes? Nay, the line is drawn clearly for them that such practice shouldn’t be allowed, deemed forbidden and warrant death to those that use it. The mages of Wyllmochvar come to mind, but then again should one be surprised about such judgement coming from them? The very ones that fool themselves into believing the gods were nothing? That they believe the black arts are tempting and should be rebuked at all times?

Fools they are indeed.

I do not see the black and white world they see. I see it as more a world filled with many shades of grey, with those willing to push the envelope succeeding and those that kept to their falsebound fears and resentments be left in the dust. No books or amount of time practicing their spells will let them understand this realm fully. They must experience life first hand, the good and the bad. Being sheltered as they are will do nothing in their learning. It is how I have learned to live throughout my life, from the time I was young, to the time I was thrown from my home because of my…oddities… to now. I was born and raised in a small settlement miles from that of the grand city of Adeluna. It seemed while my parents appeared normal, my mother had magic on her side of the family, however she suppressed it due to wanting to keep it a secret in fear of losing her husband and the respect of the neighbors. But it couldn’t be a secret forever and it ended once I came into the picture.

Years after my birth I started to show…signs of having extraordinary powers. There were times where things would be moved without anyone touching them, little things like candles or the few books we had. Then things began to grow more serious; fires would be started for no reason and shadows would morph and try to do misdeeds around the house. Eventually my father was able to figure it out and out of threats from the others, was set to kill me. Fortunately my mother’s love for me exceed that for him and we ran off into the night before the plan could be set into motion. In hiding, she taught me all that I needed to know to control my powers, and for the next fifteen years, that is what we did focused on. Towards the end of my training, she grew seriously ill and soon after had perished. And that left me all alone…