Carliah

Character Info
Name: Carliah Zara Everani
Alignment: CN
Race: Human
Class: Pirate
Silver: 316
Seventh day of Bellum, year 521

So, today I got a journal. It is an appropriate time, for there is a change in my life, and a drastic one at that. After years in the gutter of Vilpamolan, I have finally grown skilled (and beautiful) enough to be taken in my a crew. I will leave my days of petty theft and begging behind, and carve a living for myself on the seas. It is the second day of our journey, and I already understand that my difficulties on board will be greater than that of a boy.

The men on the ship have been kind enough so far, but a few of them have made… advances. A number of the older sailors have warned me that they are not accustomed to female crew, and that by coming on board, my innocence may be in danger. I am a little nervous, but even though I am a maiden, I am not innocent. I know my way around a weapon, and I know how to smooth talk my way out of trouble. My hands and mouth have had other training forms as well, but I will not speak of it. The things I did for bread back on land… I have no further need of it. Here, I earn my keep with sail and sword. At least I hope so.

The salty air is refreshing, but still strange. The rum the crewmen drink still refuses to go down. In time, though, I will drink them all under the table. In the meantime, I managed to snatch a bag of tea before we set off. Our chef, Elias, helps me prepare when he has the time. He is sweet, and not as aggressive or crude as the other men. He kisses my cheek whenever I leave him, asking me to take care. He's a gentleman, unlike the rest.

In time of writing, I am in my bunk. It's dark, even more so because I have a curtain to give me some privacy from the men, but I can write as long as this candle holds. It is far from ideal, but I must deal with it. Some of the men have gone up to deck. I'm glad I don't have to watch.

- Carliah is ambidexterous, making her capable of effective dual-wielding. Other implications will be left unsaid.
- Carliah is not to be trusted. Like, at all.
- Seriously, guys. Carliah will fall in love, pledge everlasting loyalty and mean it, then sell the person in question out for a fancy new corset. DON'T. TRUST. HER.
- Theme Song: Shishi no Hoshi Rei
- Voice Actor: Susan Eisenberg (Ashelin)
- I am KeeXeyn.
Carliah

Character Info
Eighteenth day of Bellum, year 521

I am beginning to realise that my stay aboard this ship will be even more challenging than I first expected. Vilpamolan had its whorehouses, and the sailors there frequented them often, but I had no idea men were so lecherous. They have begun calling me names, commenting coarsely on my figure, some even calling me an "unused doll" and similar obscenities. It all came to a head today, around high noon.

We had been pursuing a ship since dawn, and were finally catching up. The crew were eager to claim a prize, and I must say, I was, too. It was unarmed, an easy catch. Should'nt have been an issue. But just as the vessel was in range of our deck scorpion, its captain did something exceedingly stupid. In a bid to rescue his cargo, he tried to navigate through a reef, to lose us. Silly man didn't realise we were faster, and with the wind coming from starboard, we had the advantage of oars. Captain Herrock navigated around the reef, planning to meet the trader on the other side. It was a sound plan, and safe.

Just as we were close to intercepting the trade cog, however, the winds began to blow. So late in the month of Bellum, winds can get fierce. As it happens, waves on sea tend to be large, but not all that tall. This changes when the water hits a shallow of any sort - a shore, a rock, a reef… And just like that, a rogue wave crashed into the cog and sent it right into a reef, breaking the hull clean open. The vessel, with its heavy cargo, sank like a brick through air. A scarce third of their crew managed to get to our galley without being drowned by the cold waves or broken against the reef. None of the cargo could be salvaged - it was mostly cloth, and wool at that.

The crew fished up the surviving sailors and put them in the brig. It took some time, and the attention of the entire crew. I decided I'd go to the kitchen, and help prepare the food and rum the crew would surely crave after their disappointment. Elias was glad of the help - I assisted with seasoning meat and putting water to boil, and cutting up roots and weeds. When I was done, I went to the cargo hold, to make sure the shop wasn't running short on drink.

Patchy, the quartermaster, was down there, fuming. I tried to steer clear, but he turned on me, yelling at me for disturbing him. I tried to leave, but he held me back, saying there was a way I could make up for disturbing him. He was rough, and tried to get under my blouse. Just as he groped me, I stomped down hard, scraping his shin and slamming into his foot. I didn't turn back to watch as he let go of me.

I haven't heard any more of it. Surely, Patchy didn't want to admit to his behaviour. Or maybe he's just ashamed of getting bested by a fifteen year-old girl. In any case, I will keep my distance from him from now on.

- Carliah is ambidexterous, making her capable of effective dual-wielding. Other implications will be left unsaid.
- Seriously, guys. Carliah will fall in love, pledge everlasting loyalty and mean it, then sell the person in question out for a fancy new corset. DON'T. TRUST. HER.
- I am KeeXeyn.
Carliah

Character Info
Eleventh day of Meti, year 521

Men are cruel. Even the friendly ones are all scoundrels, bastards, rotten heaps of filth. I turned sixteen today, and Elias wanted to give me a gift. Naturally, I went right to him once my chores were done. He was waiting for me with grilled salmon and potatoes, and had even filched a small bottle of wine. We ate, chatted. He was sweet throughout the meal, laughing at my jokes and listening to my woes. I felt glad to be with him, he has always been so gentle. I didn't realise until later that he's just as bad as the rest. No, worse. As we finished eating, a few other crewmen came by. No words, no ceremony, they just yelled "She's of age now, right?" and grabbed me. Elias didn't make a sound. Not one. he just stood there, and watched, whi

*The remainer of the page is illegible, splotches made from ink and water.*

- I am KeeXeyn.
Carliah

Character Info
Nineteenth day of Meti, year 521

Today was the third day the same men assaulted me. Patchy joined in this time, trapping me in the cargo hold. They took a turn each. I can't believe the rest of the crew hasn't done anything to stop them. I hate them. I hate them all. And what about me? Had I been stronger, I could have fended them off. Had I been smarter, I could've outwitted them. Had I been fiercer, I would've at least fought back. I can't even do that. I just lie there as they throw me around like one of those trapms in the whorehouses. Maybe that's what'll become of me? Maybe that's what happened to them, that they just got numb to the pain, the humiliation of it all, and took the easy way out? Maybe it wouldn't be so bad. At least there they'll hang if they don't pay. At least there, should anything happen, I'll be taken care of, unlike here.

What I am really afraid of is that I'll begin to like it. That these men will begin to bring me pleasure, and that I'll stay on this ship to sate their desires forever, until I grow too old to entice them. That I'll be some "happy widow" just around for their physical pleasure. I don't want that. I will not let it happen. I'd sooner die. But what I'd even sooner do, is kill those bastards who've defiled me. We make port in a few days. I'll get my chance then.

- I am KeeXeyn.
Carliah

Character Info
First day of Pacem, year 521

I'm on the run. I managed to lose the crew, I think, but I must keep moving. After we made port, I went to a local blacksmith and bought a sword. I'm lucky they only took my maidenhood and not my money. Their idea of honour, I suppose. They were, of course, the first to visit the whorehouses. I thought it'd be more difficult than it was. At every place, I grabbed one of the working girls and told my story. Not one of them showed any desire to stop me, and most of them helped. For those who helped, they lured the sailors into an alley - presumably under the pretense of a filthier experience, which the sailors of course loved - before running off, leaving them in a state of drunken confusion. All that was left was the thrust. Right between the third and fourth rib, on their left side. None of them were in any state to fight back. The ones who visited the houses that refused to help me were more difficult - I had to wait for them to leave and head back to the ship. I managed to get all of them, though. Drunken brawls and killings are common enough not to arouse suspicion before I was well into my killing spree. By then, there was only two men left, Patchy and Elias.

Patchy came first. he had passed out, drunk, in the cargo hold, with a young local girl next to him. As she saw me, I pressed my finger against my lips, telling her to be silent. She remained silent, but ran. From the blood on the floor, I could tell that Patchy either paid well, or not at all. It didn't matter. I threw him back off the chair and finished him with a single blow, making sure he saw who it was that ended him. Then I went into the mess, to my final target.

Elias had betrayed me. Sold me out to his mates, lifted not a single finger when they took me. He had had the gall of befriending me beforehand, treating me like some daughter he never had. He was the worst of it all. When I entered the mess, blade in hand, the coward began crying, trying to tell me how he was innocent. "They threatened me," he said. "I never wanted to see you hurt," he lied. I didn't care. His tears would not move me. I would end him myself, and take deep satisfaction from it. I didn't. I ended him, but I didn't feel satisfaction from it. Not even closure. Still don't. Maybe it will come. I hope so. For tonight, I go to sleep with his blood-drained face staring blankly at me. He deserved what he got though.

They all did.

- I am KeeXeyn.
Carliah

Character Info
Ninth day of Calor, year 526

It has been years since I did anything but read this journal. I think maybe it's time to record what has happened, little as that may be.

First of all, I managed to escape the crew of the Haunted Hagfish after my little spree. I was on the run for quite some time, but I lost them after a while. I took up temporary residence in a nearby town, living off my savings for a while. I must admit I did some things I am not proud of in that time. I returned to theft, though I got a lot better, and took a lot more valuable items. Mostly fine clothes and jewellery, some of which I am wearing now. I also got by for a full year and a half by seducing a local crime lord. He was kind enough to me - even respected the nights when I just wanted sleep - but I didn't love him. he knew how to have fun, though, I'll give him that. Anyway, after that, I finally dared to do some pirating again. I hopped ships frequently, though - teasing some important officer or other for as long as I dared before moving on. Earned quite a bit of money, and learned quite a few tricks. I also tried my luck with bandits - many of which have lovers somewhere and are therefore less lecherous - and learned how to use a crossbow to good effect. Came in quite handy, I can tall you that. In any case, that didn't last either.

I am proud to say I never stooped so low as becoming a working girl. In some meager periods it was somewhat tempting, but I would not go down to that level. I am glad, for it seems I have finally found something I can do in the long term. There's a ship of privateers fighting in the wars. It's crewed in its entirety by women and eunuchs. Some disgruntled monks, a few orphans - the like. One of them even became a eunuch just to be close to his big love, captain Melissa. The ship is named "The Merciless Maid", which I find quite catchy. I've been told I'd be welcome aboard that ship, and I believe I'll take them up on the offer. Would be good to earn some good money for a change - and under the protection of a letter of marque, to boot. Best of all? No lonely sailors to grope or assault me on board. I can be a woman without being afraid. It'll be a good voyage, I think.

I've decided. I'll go to the Maiden right now and sign up.

- I am KeeXeyn.
Carliah

Character Info
Seventeenth day of Calor, year 526

Not quite what I had expected, this ship. Sure, the girls are all friendly and the eunuchs more than able to control themselves, and I am respected for my skills, as a woman. But I didn't quite expect the other women to be as flirty as they are. It doesn't bother me all that much, but I know some of the girls are intimate with one another on board. Just a few, but there you go. Captain Melissa is not one of them - the eunuch Cale seems to be her companion.

Anyway, I don't flirt back. At least not much. It can be a fun game, but I have no intention of being with these women. And I can't play it with the men - being castrated, it doesn't quite have the same effect. I've begun to realise that I miss having men to play with. I'm not saying I dislike it here, of course. I'm respected, and if I really want intimate attention, there are always options. It's a whole lot better not being able to lift my skirt to get what I want, than having to do so to get what I need.

We took our first prize since we set sail today. A small caravel-built schooner. Not much, but it ferried some sugar and cloth, which tend to sell well. And a casket or two of wine, which we were happy to share amongst ourselves. It was swill, almost impossible to swallow, but it gave a pleasant daze. Two of the schooner's sailors, young boys barely able to shave, got too brazen when we took the ship. I didn't kill either of them, but the crew did. Their father and captain cried as they died, but didn't resist. We let him live. I am glad of that - no sense in killing a beaten man. We'll be sailing into hostile waters soon, and hairier fights. I'm hoping we catch some good hauls - my clothes are getting smaller, especially around my chest and hips, and I need new ones.

Anyway, I am off to meet Hannah, one of the sailors on board. She says she'd like to have some wine with me tonight, and sleep with me (like a sister, I might add). I don't know what to make of it, but at least I won't be forced to do anything here, so I might as well try to enjoy my evening.

- I am KeeXeyn.
Carliah

Character Info
Nineteenth day of Austus, year 526

Hannah kept friendly even after I rejected her. She's made a few advances, but the other girls assure me she doesn't mind being shot down. It's all good fun to her. I can't say I mind much - as long as a "no" is respected, men or women can ask of me whatever they like - but it is a little disconcerting whenever it happens, for it always happens in a new way, in a new setting. I think she secretly enjoys tormenting me. Captain Melissa just chuckles whenever I mention it.

Why am I writing this, now? I don't write in my journal all that often. I don't get it.

Okay, that's a lie. I know why I'm writing this, and it's because we went to port a week ago, stayed for two days. While there, I met a boy. Sweet young thing, innocent and poor, and so eager. I met him in the market while shopping for new clothes. He worked at his uncle's tailorshop, walked in on me as his uncle was taking my measurements. I was naked, of course. The boy blushed and ran out of the room, his uncle yelling after him before apologising. Hannah was with me, to ensure the tailor didn't try anything funny. She just laughed. I didn't think any more of it. The tailor finished fitting my new clothes, and we left.

Hannah had gone to get her dirk sharpened. I went the other way, and bumped into the tailor's nephew on the way back. I grabbed him before he could bolt - wanted to play a bit with him. The colour of his cheeks was like that of raw salmon - a bright pink on his dark face. As I (jokingly) asked him if he had walked in on me on purpose, he began stuttering. "I didn't, I swear I had no idea you were in there," he said. "I'd never do something to a client like that, ever!" His frantic denial was adorable. "Was that the first time you've seen a woman naked?" I asked him. He nodded. Gods, he was such a cute and innocent little thing, I began to feel a little sorry for him. I apologised for teasing him, and let him go.

Turns out I shouldn't have. he came by the ship that night, holding a bouquet of flowers, asking for me. How could he have been so stupid? I'm twenty, he's sixteen at most. But came he did, begging the crew to let him see me so he could properly apologise. Eventually they relented, probably chuckling as he passed at the embarassment he'd cause me. I was, of course, in the mess, taking a cup of tea.

I'm not sure what happened. Maybe I felt sorry for him. Maybe I thought he was just too cute. Maybe I wanted to corrupt him. Either way, I took his innocence that night, and enjoyed it tremendously. It didn't take long, but of course the girls realised. They didn't mock me for sleeping with him - most of the girls here go manhunting while in port just like men would frequent whorehouses - but more the fact that I took a mere boy and "made him a man" because I felt sorry for him.

Anyway, since then, Hannah has been ever more eager to play with me. I'm beginning to suspect she may be a bit twisted in the head, going after me like that. Always calling me "sister" right before a euphanism. It's odd. What's even more so is that I'm beginning to enjoy our little game.

What's becoming of me?

- I am KeeXeyn.
Carliah

Character Info
Seventh day of Primum, year 527

Well, now I know why Hannah was acting so strange. I thought she may be a bit sick in the mind, some sort of sadist, or a nymphymaniac.

I certainly did not expect her to be a demon.

I'll start at the beginning. Yesterday, we took a prize. Nothing special - a trading galley with a load of spices, cloth, wine, and weapons - and of course a whole lot of crewmen. They gave up without a fight once we caught them. Thing was, they were using slaves. Pirates though we may be, there's one thing we hold abominable: slavery. Many of the eunuchs and women on board had been one form of slave or another - forcibly married, in servitude to a monastery, held on threat of death in a whorehouse. Slavery is an abomination, and we all feel that way. So we freed them. Of course, we kept them in the brig - couldn't have men running freely around us, with nothing to lose and everything to gain by rebelling and taking our ship - but we planned to let them go at the nearest possible landing. Except, Hannah didn't.

Turns out, she was a succubus, a temptress demon. She used her viles to enchant the slaves in the brig, one by one, before letting them go. She wanted to have the ship to herself, I suppose. It went horribly, horribly wrong. in the fighting that ensued when the slaves escaped, Captain Melissa and her eunuch companion Cale were killed. We had the advatage in terms of weaponry, but those men were huge. Sailor or not, no normal woman could hope to fight off such brute force without using some desperate tricks. Which, eventually, of course, we did.

One of the things we had taken was lamp oil. Stupid as we were, we had stuffed it together with our spare rope, right next to buckets of tar. The fighting eventally drove us into the holds, where crates, ropes, and poles could help us keep a distance between the men and us. I don't know what happened next. Someone knocked over a lantern or swung a torch too wide. In any case, it took mere seconds for oil, hemp, and tar to catch fire. The ship went down in minutes.

Thanks to my personal belongings chest, my hournal and my things are mostly intact. But what crew and slaves remain alive are scattered. We have no rendezvous, and I doubt we'd use it if we had. I'm on my own again. I've lost everything. Again.

But hey, I'm alive, and I have my things. And now, I have grown strong again. Strong of body, mind, spirit, and technique. This time I'll get to the top. This time.

- I am KeeXeyn.