Roleplay Forums > Character Activities > Character Journals > A Blacksmith's Journal
kingcrasy

Character Info
Name: Reginn Obi
Alignment: TG
Race: Human
Class: Blacksmith
Silver: 62
-Day One of Experimentation-

Of course I would be stupid enough to say I would make a metal strong enough to withstand a Dragon's fire, Of course I would promise this request with a large smile I've always liked a challenge ever since I was young when my father gave me a puzzle box made with complex cogs and switches that allowed even the most skilled locksmith to always be defeated, knowing this he gave me it to his twelve-year-old son saying simply "If you can do this, I'll give your allowance early" of course the younger me took this challenge in stride trying many ways to get the lock to open to reveal the sweet coins inside every day for the next week I attempt leading to nothing but failures until one day my father walks in to find a box with springs and cogs everywhere over the floor and me counting the coins that were once inside he chuckled simply saying "Always look for other ways, Easier ways are good but bring unfortunate ends to a lazy man" I never really understood that saying until I started smithing if I took the easier way sure my blades would be quickly made but the steel would be impure and easily broken.

So here I stand writing this now in a workshop covered in soot and scrap metal from previous attempts different levels of metal and alloys a crazy man would never attempt to make, a normal blacksmith would take this as a sign to give up and just tell the customer to use a dragon leather a naturally fire resistant material, but I am no normal blacksmith I am Reginn Obi last of my line and last Blacksmith of Sunlight Forge so I will not give up until I find a way to make this metal.
This is the idea for my next experiment just in case it works which I'm rather hopeful about I have grounded an Obsidian crystal into a fine dust, these crystals are made through incredible pressure and heat and applied to an alloy of dwarven steel may increase its resistance enough to allow a shield to defend against a dragon. The problem with this is I have no method yet created by other blacksmiths to create such heat this is why I'm purposely moulding Sun scorch into the steel itself for when I apply force the inside will heat hot enough to meld the obsidian in a web like structure.For another day I wish your bestReginn ObiBlacksmith of Sunlight Forge

"All Weapons can be forged by a man, But only Good weapons can be Forged by a Blacksmith"
kingcrasy

Character Info
Name: Reginn Obi
Alignment: TG
Race: Human
Class: Blacksmith
Silver: 62
-Day Fifteen of Experimentation-

Who knew working with Obsidian was so hard the first attempt I tried managed to cause heated spikes of obsidian to fly everywhere in the room, my poor mother managed to hide behind a plate shield too, however, to say the shield was intact at the end of this would be an overstatement the metal badly torn and lodged inside were heated crystals of obsidian. But with all accident come better ideas:

One. I can find a way to implement the explosive force and destruction of the obsidian shards into a confined area a lot like shooting someone with fifty arrows at once, to do this I could use a strong metallic alloy to harness the directions of the blast this would also require him to manually reload the weapon a lot like a cannon using the crystal, also take in the account the recoil it will have to be placed on the floor to stop it knocking the user back like a firework.

Two. Another way to smelt this strange alloy i'm creating, I should slowly heat the outside of the metal allowing the crystals to heat up equally due to my belief that the crystals outer heats too quickly causing the centre to shrink while the outer expands resulting in the explosive force seen before this, however, means the time taken to smelt the metal will increase by a ton.

As I explain these out loud to my mother while writing the look of pure terror is obvious on her face, however, I have heard of a Clan being formed in the floating city, I have yet to figure out who runs the rag tag group of riders of the sky but even though I have no steed of my own I will travel there to see if my skills are needed.

Sunlight Forge
Reginn Obi

"All Weapons can be forged by a man, But only Good weapons can be Forged by a Blacksmith"